Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, but isn't the thing with FotC is they're supposed to be bad and thats with them writing it, not someone else.

Not really, they did comedy songs on a comedy show, but it was never meant to be bad, and it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, but isn't the thing with FotC is they're supposed to be bad and thats with them writing it, not someone else. I did not know what to expect from it. I really should just trust this show, its never let me down so far.
No. They're good. Genuinely good. They go on tours. In the show they are portrayed as bad when you, the watcher, understand them to be good. I don't know if that's what you mean or not but I also came into it with the perspective that they let Bill Irwin do his clown act so they were letting Jemaine do his musical act, thus I trusted he did the writing for it and was immediately struck with excitement and glee. I get your perspective either way, I just wanted to make sure you weren't missing out on Flight of the Conchords because if anyone loves Jemaine in this show, they need to know about his earlier, fantastic work. :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DaveKap posted:

No. They're good. Genuinely good. They go on tours. In the show they are portrayed as bad when you, the watcher, understand them to be good. I don't know if that's what you mean or not but I also came into it with the perspective that they let Bill Irwin do his clown act so they were letting Jemaine do his musical act, thus I trusted he did the writing for it and was immediately struck with excitement and glee. I get your perspective either way, I just wanted to make sure you weren't missing out on Flight of the Conchords because if anyone loves Jemaine in this show, they need to know about his earlier, fantastic work. :)

I can almost guarantee Jemaine Clements wrote that rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk&t=45s

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can't believe that nobody has shared their best rap :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBc5ABgYEM&t=15s

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So the subplot was basicallyOliver and Melanie are stuck in the astral plane, they protect and nurture a Syd who was knocked down to studs by the Legion. He fights a malevolent entity on the plane but doesn't kill him and Syd puts herself back together on the good fight narrative?

I don't get why Melanie was happy about the fantasy ending at the end.

Melanie is happy because the lesson is over and they can go back to their normal (lol) life in the ice cube, now that they're done helping Syd.

Jemaine did not write the rap, surprisingly. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/legion-rap-battle-jemaine-clement-season-3-episode-6-1202161713/

quote:

Enter the rap battle: Hawley wrote the lyrics for each character himself, which started as a placeholder so anyone reading the script would understand what’s happening, but he soon built them into savvy, shifting lyrics that both actors ended up keeping.

“I assumed [Jemaine] might say, ‘Oh, I don’t want to do that,'” Hawley said. “But he did it, happily, and had no real complaints. I said if you want to re-write this at all, feel free. He changed very little, we filmed it, and it’s one of my favorite things ever.”

“Having written many televised songs, there was a different approach to [this one],” Clement said. “I don’t really take myself seriously as a musician — definitely not as a rapper — so Jason and I were both a little nervous about it. But when we came to film it, it felt a lot better than it did reading it. It was really fun. We had a day of doing that scene, and I didn’t get bored with it at all. I enjoyed it every time.”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Welp, fair play to Hawley on that one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The last couple of verses didn’t even rhyme, they were just monologues.

It’s amazing that as we near the end of the final season I still ask myself “what the gently caress is this show” every week.

Also Cynthia’s “son” gave me big Chris Mintz-Plasse vibes.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 31, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Farouk is the wolf, Cynthia is David, and syd has learned from a new lifetime of love that she needs empathy to at least try to save David

night slime
May 14, 2014
Cynthia and the Wolf hate each other?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It doesn't really bother me much anymore, but three seasons in I still have no idea what the "rules" are for Cary/Kerry.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

General Dog posted:

It doesn't really bother me much anymore, but three seasons in I still have no idea what the "rules" are for Cary/Kerry.

I think it's been pretty consistent. Basically when they merge, anything that happened to either of them is transferred to Carys body. Whenever Kerry pops out it's a brand new fresh body. It did get weird for a while when the "host" body was swapped to Kerry for a bit in s2 though

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I feel like the final scene of this show is going to be the entire cast singing and dancing to a musical number

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Necrothatcher posted:

Haha, that episode ruled. I will never, ever get tired of a late title reveal.

I know what you mean. I love it when a show is brave enough to hold off the opening credits to not break up their storytelling.

But I don't think I've ever seen a show go from opening credits immediately into the closing credits :allears:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Testicle Masochist posted:

I feel like the final scene of this show is going to be the entire cast singing and dancing to a musical number

I hope it’s the macarena

night slime
May 14, 2014
Chicken limbo ending

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Still hoping Oliver's season 2 riddle will pan out - "What is One plus One? ". I can shoehorn in an an answer from this episode, but it still feels forced.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

double nine posted:

Still hoping Oliver's season 2 riddle will pan out - "What is One plus One? ". I can shoehorn in an an answer from this episode, but it still feels forced.

My best guess currently is that David + Farouk = Legion.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oliver told Farouk he was gonna kill him. Maybe it'll come true through Syd. Though I wonder how that plays with the themes of this episode.

God, this episode is just a beautiful moral tale. Oliver sums it all up at the end. You need to understand safety and love first, so you know what you're fighting for. And Syd has always wanted to fight for Love – now she's mentally equipped to do it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wow, good for Hawley. It definitely had a Jemaine-written vibe to it.

Terror Sweat posted:

Farouk is the wolf, Cynthia is David, and syd has learned from a new lifetime of love that she needs empathy to at least try to save David
Yeah it's not a complete 1:1 (also, I think the kids represent Lenny?) but this is pretty much the point of the episode and a good one, which is why I'm not being too complainy for how it slows down the pacing of the overarching narrative (which I've found a consistent problem for Hawley, thus why you always see me talking about his work being better as a binge.) Cynthia's kids deserve their own movie. They are so gross and grungy that I wanted more of them. They made me feel disgusted in a way few things in media do. They belonged in Sweeny Todd or Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events or really anything Tim Burton makes.

So... yeah, in the end we might actually get a "power of empathy" narrative on top of all the other themes. I have to hand it to Hawley, you never guess what will happen next on this show and that's worth a drat and a half.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But I don't think I've ever seen a show go from opening credits immediately into the closing credits :allears:

I actually remember a couple times on the Breaking Bad podcast they talked about how strict credits rules are and that they had to ask for special leniency to not have opening credits over Hank's death scene. I wonder how Hawley gets away with it like every week.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

loving amazing episode, I had sworn that we wouldn't see Oliver or Melanie again and couldn't be happier to eat my own words. I'm going to be inconsolable once the series is done. I can't think of anything that is nearly as imaginative or fun as this show can be at its peaks. I have faith that they can land this and give us a satisfying ending but regardless I've loved the journey.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

I loved this episode, and I can't wait to see how "Not everyone wants to be saved" plays out in the final confrontation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DaveKap posted:

That's what I meant, in the universe of the show, FotC are supposed to be a bad band, as the joke is their only fan is Kristen Schaal. At least that's how I remember the show.

I've seen to many things with rap battles between two white(ish) guys that are super cringy. As I said, I should have learned to trust this show by now. I'll thrown in What We Do In The Shadows for another amazing Jermaine thing. Hell, he's good as the villain Men in Black 3. It's like he's really amazing or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In his one scene he provides the single mildly funny moment in Dinner for Schmucks, one of the worst comedies ever made.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Before the FotC TV show I only knew him from Outback Steakhouse commercials. The man contains multitudes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

He was the only reason I saw Gentlemen Broncos. He wasn't in it enough, sadly.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know it's absolutely not but there's this tiny part of my brain that wants to interpret this as Amahl chumping Apocalypse

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh hell yeah, shadow king x2 vs Charles and David

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man this should be one hell of a finale.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Really loving Harry Lloyd as Charles. He seems to get the part in a profound way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I loved him in Safety Last

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was some great action by Dan Stevens, showing a bunch of different David's with just the tone of their voice and facial expressions.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Navid Negahban was (as always) awesome too. I really enjoyed the more jovial Farouk and especially the rattled Farouk. Really all the acting on this show is consistently good and I feel like the actors are all really into their roles and enjoying themselves.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Some pretty serious handwaving, even by the lofty standards of this show, to have Farouk rock up without a timetraveller sidekick OR a magical bracelet. MY IMMERSION~

Glad that the final villian is (seems to be, at least) Farouk. Despite everything that has happened since, it was pretty gross how quickly all of David's friends decided that he was far beyond help and had to be removed. I think it will be left ambiguous but I want to believe that Farouk had a hand in manipulating such a reaction. The whole innocent "I'm just telling the facts guys" and "my previous li'l baby boy David" acts have always been bullshit in my eyes. What he's always wanted was just anyone that could possibly stand in his way to be pre-emptively destroyed.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Chadzok posted:

Some pretty serious handwaving, even by the lofty standards of this show, to have Farouk rock up without a timetraveller sidekick OR a magical bracelet. MY IMMERSION~

Glad that the final villian is (seems to be, at least) Farouk. Despite everything that has happened since, it was pretty gross how quickly all of David's friends decided that he was far beyond help and had to be removed. I think it will be left ambiguous but I want to believe that Farouk had a hand in manipulating such a reaction. The whole innocent "I'm just telling the facts guys" and "my previous li'l baby boy David" acts have always been bullshit in my eyes. What he's always wanted was just anyone that could possibly stand in his way to be pre-emptively destroyed.

They are both the final villain. Doesn't matter who wins it's bad for everyone else

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

He said captain
I said wot

That song is infectious

Also excited for double farouk showdown. I wonder if this has all been some endless cycle with David going back in time over and over and making Farouk into the explicit villain. Jovial Farouk is clearly more than he seems but also comes off like a season 2 or early season 3 David where he wants to use his powers for good but doesn't get how monstrous his actions are.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

Actually, Mr. Dumb Dumb, Farouk got a magic bracelet when they shoved him in the time hole. Check. Mate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Farouk has always been evil. He lured Xavier to him and clearly is trying to take his mind over and insert himself in there. Failing that we've seen him take an interest in David even before he meets Xavier.

I'm looking forward to the Xavier and David tag team.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chadzok posted:

Psst...the time eaters busted him out of there.

I kinda wish we got a full season of Xavier. Maybe a spinoff would be cool since none of this seems tethered to the previous X-Men stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I thought the previous Xavier episode was kind of a waste. Good, but a distraction from the limited episode order. However, in context with this episode I think it works and better understand why so much time was committed to it.