Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gamerofthegame posted:

at first I thought talk of flayn and fish was because it was her entry quest so it became a meme but, uh

no flayn is kind of obsessed about fish isn't she

Yeah. Its pretty sad when you learn why too.

... I feel like you can write that about almost every character quirk in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

at first I thought talk of flayn and fish was because it was her entry quest so it became a meme but, uh

I wish I knew this before taking her to tea for her birthday.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Taear posted:

Are you sure? I only ask because the tutorial messages and etc just mention it happening if your main character dies.
On Casual most mission defeat conditions are "all your units fall", on Classic they become "Byleth or <house leader> falls." I haven't had it happen but it's pretty explicit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's with Sylvain's focus chapter being all about free battles

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm wondering if the season pass is going to be worth the fairly high cost, an initial glance shows that its mainly fluff DLC, cosmetics and the like with some nebulous story content next year, just when in the game this will be set is also going to be interesting.

The way they're marketing it reminds a lot of the Xenoblade 2 DLC. That was a steady trickle of content, most of which was just consumables and fluff, a few nothing quests and a couple of "blades" (which would probably be the equivilent of adding new recruitable faculty members)... which would have been a little pricey, but maybe still worth it if you were really into the game. But then when the "nebulous story content next year" dropped it was a actually a substantial old-school expansion, that was arguably better than the main game, and big enough that it's sold as a standalone product (which I think costs more than the original DLC pass cost).

That might be the exception rather than the rule, but I'm probably going to wait until they announce what form the story content will take... if I can resist the urge before then. That said if I'm being honest I probably would have bought it already if not for the fact that I don't like the initial cosmetic uniforms. M's uniform is way too fascist for my taste and F loses her cool tights.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 31, 2019

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Re: Dark Seals - I think the Dark Merchant sells them? It gets unlocked pretty late though...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright, so my first goal switching to Gold Deer: Letting Leonie die. You're getting fresh with my dad, acting like you're his kid or something. There is only enough space in Dad's heart for one person :mad:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leal posted:

Alright, so my first goal switching to Gold Deer: Letting Leonie die. You're getting fresh with my dad, acting like you're his kid or something. There is only enough space in Dad's heart for one person :mad:

I always wanted a baby brother so my goal when I get to Gold Deer is to make Leonie marry my dad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

How are you supposed to get the dark seal the first time? Because I just did that mission and the dark Knight would've destroyed anyone that looked at him funny, in a single hit.

Stuff that helps,

• Clear out the area around him and save all your Pulse charges
  • Abuse Gambits for the counter-proof chip damage
  • Use the AVO tiles around him to sneak in some high-risk poke
  • Try to get someone with 12 AS to avoid being doubled
  • Have a lance wielder with Knightkneeler deliver the coup de grace

I did it on hard, and if that idiot Felix hadn't missed three 61% attacks in a row I wouldn't have even taken losses. Luckily I'm playing on casual so I was able to run Sylvain in for a Knightkneel before Dimitri finished up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 31, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Those lances you get from Chapter 8 are super good and also look good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravy Jones posted:

The way they're marketing it reminds a lot of the Xenoblade 2 DLC. That was a steady trickle of content, most of which was just consumables and fluff, a few nothing quests and a couple of "blades" (which would probably be the equivilent of adding new recruitable faculty members)... which would have been a little pricey, but maybe still worth it if you were really into the game. But then when the "nebulous story content next year" dropped it was a actually a substantial old-school expansion, that was arguably better than the main game, and big enough that it's sold as a standalone product (which I think costs more than the original DLC pass cost).

That might be the exception rather than the rule, but I'm probably going to wait until they announce what form the story content will take... if I can resist the urge before then. That said if I'm being honest I probably would have bought it already if not for the fact that I don't like the initial cosmetic uniforms. M's uniform is way too fascist for my taste and F loses her cool tights.

At least in the UK it's £17.99 on CDKeys which isn't a bad price.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

On Casual most mission defeat conditions are "all your units fall", on Classic they become "Byleth or <house leader> falls." I haven't had it happen but it's pretty explicit.

Ah cool, I really wasn't aware. Weird that the tutorial messages don't tell you that.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gamerofthegame posted:

Fish! Fish! Fish! Eat! Eat! Eat!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

DLC prospects will probably be helped by the fact that Three Houses appears to be selling quite well.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1155594705876525056

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

How are you supposed to get the dark seal the first time? Because I just did that mission and the dark Knight would've destroyed anyone that looked at him funny, in a single hit.

Here's my post about this.

Zoran posted:

I took down the bonus boss in Chapter 4! Here's how I did it:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Ok, I think I'm beginning to get over the ":supaburn: oh god oh god there's gardening and there's fishing and there's battalions and I have to customize 8 assholes and I don't understand what's good yet" feeling.

This game is really complicated. Also, good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zoran posted:

Here's my post about this.

Honestly, just having Rally Speed is enough to break the fight wide open by letting your better melee units trade hits without exploding.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Leal posted:

I have bad news for you. I just finished the game as Black Eagles and decided my New Game + goals would be to create the ultimate Waifu squad in the Blue Lions.

I started by getting all the dudes killed. They still stick around in the school. You just can't use them in battle. >:C

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

I have bad news for you. I just finished the game as Black Eagles and decided my New Game + goals would be to create the ultimate Waifu squad in the Blue Lions.

I started by getting all the dudes killed. They still stick around in the school. You just can't use them in battle. >:C

Well, I guess that answers a question I've been having: What happens if you let a bunch of students die? I would've thought a game over with you getting fired for letting all your students die.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Leal posted:

Well, I guess that answers a question I've been having: What happens if you let a bunch of students die? I would've thought a game over with you getting fired for letting all your students die.

They actually die post time skip. Its just during the school phase they retreat.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

my felix-killing scheme has been ruined before it even began :saddowns:

e: Or not, nice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just finished the golden deer route and Claude is my hero I don't want to fight him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The good thing about Claude is that

Spoilers for all routes

I think he's the only lord you can let live on every route. Edelgard or Dimitri always die but Claude can always make it out alive

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Zore posted:

They actually die post time skip. Its just during the school phase they retreat.

Then if you get them 'killed' before the skip, do they just disappear during the gap and aren't there afterwards?

Zore posted:

The good thing about Claude is that

Spoilers for all routes

I think he's the only lord you can let live on every route. Edelgard or Dimitri always die but Claude can always make it out alive

Not in the siding with Edelgard BE route, I certainly wasn't given an option

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Run a Golden Deer route where I recruit everyone possible but deliberately kill every noble

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

( https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/ck7ddz/recruiting_flayn_be_like/?depth=4&st=jyrfodzc&sh=51957a92 )

I know the silent protagonist thing is kind of a drag a lot of the time, but it's so loving funny whenever a character calls it out, or I'm given a dialogue option that no sane human being would ever say

"Maybe he needs more" definitely made me laugh

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm sure they would just "retreat" because I doubt this game would make sense if you're getting your students killed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love it when they tell the professor how rich in gravitas and charisma he is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There have been more than a few moments where I get two options to speak and both of them look identical to me but one they think is rude and one is fine. Even though to me they're both rude.
Maybe it's a UK thing, I dunno.

I guess "rude" is a bit far, more "a bit strange".

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Taear posted:

There have been more than a few moments where I get two options to speak and both of them look identical to me but one they think is rude and one is fine. Even though to me they're both rude.
Maybe it's a UK thing, I dunno.

I guess "rude" is a bit far, more "a bit strange".

I get confused on the US side too. Also I wish when you’re getting exposition you could ask all the questions available instead of just one. Ya know, like every RPG ever.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I found this poll on reddit if you want to see the choices everyone else is making. Or at least, the choices that other nerds on reddit are making. https://forms.gle/XCFnKQT3ntNHDNDK6

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain to me if leveling up the 3rd stat for Blyeth and the house leaders unique classes is even necessary? You get put into the class no matter what due to the story, right? You don’t have to take a certification exam right?

So I don’t have to bother leveling Faith on Blyeth and reason on Edelguard? Esp since the classes I choose for them before the unique teach then no magic spells (armor Knight and thief).

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Beekeeping and You posted:

I found this poll on reddit if you want to see the choices everyone else is making. Or at least, the choices that other nerds on reddit are making. https://forms.gle/XCFnKQT3ntNHDNDK6

I'm slightly surprised that majority are playing on normal and how there isn't a big spike in people playing Black Eagles.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Am I dumb or is there no way to see the results without having to fill it out first?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The silent majority are not people posting on forums, most people don't play on games beyond normal

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Am I dumb or is there no way to see the results without having to fill it out first?

Does this work? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIRWPpeVJSCHSj37SE42y7AP9AemVxM5x73yobTCGsR8mECg/viewanalytics

I think the weirdest is that there are apparently so many playing normal/classic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think part of the reason I'm so surprised at this game having decent characters/writing is that my previous experience with Fates/Awakening gave me the impression that the Fire Emblem series was just characterized by mediocre writing. So I was not expecting to find the characters much better than, say, the characters in Persona.

I know the silent protagonist thing is kind of a drag a lot of the time, but it's so loving funny whenever a character calls it out, or I'm given a dialogue option that no sane human being would ever say

I like when (early Blue Lions route spoiler)you get finished killing Ashe's adopted dad and apparently most of the villagers he grew up with, and then your only dialogue options when you speak with him later are two different versions of "Get over it".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm sure they would just "retreat" because I doubt this game would make sense if you're getting your students killed.

professor you are so good
please, it's my students who deserve the credit
*byleth stands alone in every scene because his entire class is dead*

side note i praise my students every single time the prompt comes up in situations like that and I'm always a little sad that everyone bats it aside : (

JBP posted:

I love it when they tell the professor how rich in gravitas and charisma he is.

we get that and then also a bunch of the writers jabbing me in the ribs going HEY ISNT IT FUNNY HOW HE BARELY SMILES HEY because they wrote a silent protagonist that doesnt emote except for when he does

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so i was kinda worried about this but it doesn't seem like students can get locked out of supports with each other if you wait too long like byleth can. was worried my late poaches wouldn't be able to support with anybody.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean at least seeing the online stats Black Eagles is overwhelmingly popular. The most deployed list is just the Black Eagles house and no one else is on it. Also clearly the reason to recruit people is to hopefully save them from the second half of the game. It is funny seeing how insanely full your classroom gets.

As for the Black Knight I have no idea how to legitimately beat him. Even my best units in Edelgard and Byleth get double attacked for 33 damage each time. Bernadetta gets hit even if she's using deadeye from half the map away. Guy is just walking bullshit. I wanted to kill him and I'm playing on casual so I just resigned myself to suiciding one or two guys into him just to wipe the smug rear end grin off his face. No idea how to beat him legit.

Also the only NG+ I could see doing is Edelgard's route again just with the optimization I've learned and maybe actually doing classic. (Even if how punishing stat growths are in terms of making someone amazing or just trash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

interesting to see that most people are playing with classic mode on

also it's game changer when you realize lost items are based on where a character was placed the previous month

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 31, 2019