Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Voted 12+, but the 12 issues have to have Stan Lee levels of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

'Help help let me out of this coffin!'?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why would you want him to be an underachiever

I will settle for nothing less than Claremontian levels of dialogue

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo Powers of X is DENSE in the best of ways. House of X threw a lot our way but Powers just god drat unloaded a ton.

I’m loving the ambition behind it all.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 31, 2019

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
People say the 'big on ideas, short on character' thing about Hickman all the time and even I've done it at times as shorthand, but honestly, I think he's actually way stronger at delivering the moments of characterization than he is the big ideas, it just seems the other way around because of how he tells the stories.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why would you want him to be an underachiever

I will settle for nothing less than Claremontian levels of dialogue
Hear me now men. You stand before Erik Lensherr Magnus, better known to your kind as MAGNETO, THE MASTER OF MAGNETISM.

drat, i'm dry. How do you keep Claremonting this up??

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Jim the Nickel posted:

Along these lines I want a team of the quiet dorks with obvious mutations like Eyeboy and Ernst and Glob that maybe aren't the best fighters but who could have outreach roles to new mutants. Like make it so they don't feel like they have to go live in the sewers with the Morlocks just because they're a lil ugly.

This was the last Generation X series.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Beerdeer posted:

This was the last Generation X series.

Man, I really wasn't into that book. I like Jubilee and the original Generation X characters that popped up, but the team itself was very :effort:

You got Eyeboy, who's great, Bling, who's fine, and Nature Girl who barely did anything interesting. And then you got the three pretty boys, two of whom seemed like they only existed to have a love triangle with Quentin Quire.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Has it been address why HoX and PoX are using the font from the Ultimate Universe that only the Maker still uses in 616 now? Every other marvel book is still using comic sans.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Jim the Nickel posted:

Man, I really wasn't into that book. I like Jubilee and the original Generation X characters that popped up, but the team itself was very :effort:

You got Eyeboy, who's great, Bling, who's fine, and Nature Girl who barely did anything interesting. And then you got the three pretty boys, two of whom seemed like they only existed to have a love triangle with Quentin Quire.

It was not a good book. It was as described though. These were not going to be the heavy hitters so they were supposed to learn to be diplomats.

I didn't care for it until the old Gen Xers got play.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Has it been address why HoX and PoX are using the font from the Ultimate Universe that only the Maker still uses in 616 now? Every other marvel book is still using comic sans.

Minister of Sound posted:

That's what Jonathan wanted. If there's a significance behind it, I don't know what it is.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

How dare you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Ms Marvel always used mixed case lettering as well. I know other Marvel books have as well. It's not just a shorthand for the Ultimate Universe font.

That being said, Powers of X was crazy. That was one of the best first issues of a new direction I've read in forever because every idea felt new and yet still a part of what we know about the X-Men. Home run issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I got a kick out of the text referencing "the constant evasion-relocation confrontation cycle." So Hickman is well aware of how often these mutant sanctuaries keep getting blown up.

I will say, it's really annoying how in a lot of these distant-future storylines, the surviving elderly remnants of the Marvel universe always end up being a bunch of old white dudes; Logan, Thor, Hawkeye, Banner, Frank Castle, et al. I mean there's a tree here, and the tree is a dude. :geno:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hope Amazon keeps selling those director cuts. I hope to one day actually see the whole script without the redaction.

FilthyImp posted:

Someone thinks Krakoa cloned old Xdudes and is trying to colonize the planet with it's consciousness via the plants and that wouldn't be a terrible fakeout.

This would basically be Hickman actualizing a very old What-If story, which, I'm fine with.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 31, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

X-O posted:

I think Ms Marvel always used mixed case lettering as well. I know other Marvel books have as well. It's not just a shorthand for the Ultimate Universe font.

That being said, Powers of X was crazy. That was one of the best first issues of a new direction I've read in forever because every idea felt new and yet still a part of what we know about the X-Men. Home run issue.

Yeah, Runaways has been doing the standard case for its entire run. Also, it's still very good.

re: PoX, I've never been happier to have been so off base with my guessing. :allears:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My stupid, unearned and unsubstantiated theory - House all takes place after POX.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Transistor Rhythm posted:

My stupid, unearned and unsubstantiated theory - House all takes place after POX.

I haven't read Powers of X yet but I take it from that theory that they are separate enough timelines? I was wondering why if as they said each title has to be read in order of release that it couldn't just be one bi-weekly title, but I guess they are separate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's definitely some weird time travel-ly thing going on, or going to go on, or having been gone on. That Moira scene is.........perplexing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Powers has a scene that directly follows from a sequence in House but it also begins by establishing four points in time so who the gently caress knows!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BrianWilly posted:

There's definitely some weird time travel-ly thing going on, or going to go on, or having been gone on. That Moira scene is.........perplexing.

Between that scene, the helmet Xavier's in, and somebody mentioning the World at one point, at least some of this isn't actually happening. I don't think the sheer dream-logic structure of it is just Hickman playing with formalism.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I definitely don't trust this Xavier. Charles with legs is never a good sign.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sinister was honestly a really lovely character until gillen created the dickbag victorian hive mind version.

He really was. Had the same problem as Apocalypse, he had this really grandiose but vague ideology he was pursuing, but his goals were so abstract that you never had a clear throughline like with someone like Magneto or Doom. And just like Apocalypse, he has incredibly vague powers that shook out to him being able to do whatever the story needed.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 1, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Between that scene, the helmet Xavier's in, and somebody mentioning the World at one point, at least some of this isn't actually happening. I don't think the sheer dream-logic structure of it is just Hickman playing with formalism.

Seems like the text box was referring to the World, as in the Earth, not the Weapon Plus facility.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the cypher at the end translate to? I can't seem to find a translation guide online. just the stuff with the translated titles from right before Comic-con.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that xavier is in one of those tubes in nimrod's crib.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1156719793850015745?s=19

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I keep thinking Xavier's Cyclops because of the x-helmet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:hmmyes:

Spring Breakers was such a good hosed yo movie.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

What's the cypher at the end translate to? I can't seem to find a translation guide online. just the stuff with the translated titles from right before Comic-con.
PoX #2: THE CURIOUS CASE OF MOIRA X
HoX #2: HELLO OLD FRIEND

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
So time-travel confirmed then; that's a Fitzgerald / Benjamin Button reference, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MoaM posted:

So time-travel confirmed then; that's a Fitzgerald / Benjamin Button reference, right?

It's an X-Men book, time travel is going to come up.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm a very basic, literal human being, so I'm going to throw out the theory that all of this was done via Maker's manipulation of Moira and Proteus, somehow

Also, I like genially murderous Nimrod. Is that a new take or has it been around before or is that new?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really don’t think Hickman is going to pull Maker from Venom. He’s got SO MUCH deep poo poo to pull from X-Men (and is already doing so) that bringing his own toys would seem lazy. Hell, if Franklin is going to play a decent sized part in all of this (which I’m guessing he is) they’ll already let him write the F4 again Some more. Which in not entirely against but good dang there’s so many X-Men let’s have them do things.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did anything ever end up happening with that Fantomex plotline from Astonishing last year or is it still dormant?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hickman mentioned how all his previous Marvel work was one huge mega story, and that he wants his X-Men to stand on its own without having to read everything he’s ever written.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nimrod at the thousand year point mentions that he wasn’t built to maintain integrity for a millennium, implying that he was built around Year One.

I’m trying to make some sense of the scene with Moira. The background color change when Charles tries to read her mind, and Charles watching birds fly in a circle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really don’t think Hickman is going to pull Maker from Venom. He’s got SO MUCH deep poo poo to pull from X-Men (and is already doing so) that bringing his own toys would seem lazy. Hell, if Franklin is going to play a decent sized part in all of this (which I’m guessing he is) they’ll already let him write the F4 again Some more. Which in not entirely against but good dang there’s so many X-Men let’s have them do things.

I've been interested in how Franklin relates to the X-Men for quite a while (since Claremont and others always inferred that he would eventually join the team or whatever version of the team existed in the future), so I am not against that being explored.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Chances this all turns out to be a side effect of Tony's Snap in Endgame?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Sandman posted:

Chances this all turns out to be a side effect of Tony's Snap in Endgame?

0%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In which we learn Kieron Gillan was definitely the smart one.

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1157412042292322306?s=19