Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The most I'll use at home is a 75%, the extra real estate is super nice for FPS games. I'll never go back.

At work I have a 96-key and it's definitely much appreciated there. Plus at most it's a tiny bit wider than a TKL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'd say I feel lost with the numpad, plus my desk stance is pretty wide so I'm not so bothered by the mouse real estate, but that's just me.

One layout I would like to see happen one day is actually a full-size but with an orthogonal alpha block, though admittedly that's pretty niche and weird.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Serperoth posted:

Amen sibling. 100% or bust

Ew no, god what's wrong with you? I have to move my fingers off loving home row to hit escape what kind of barbarian poo poo is that

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I've learned to touch-type the number row pretty decently, but it is a real pain in the rear end to type IP addresses :(

So when I started trying small mechs, I started out with a Preonic until I realized number rows were for lesser chumps and greater losers. That's why my boards look the way they do - They're essentially just a Planck with an extra column and then a numpad.

The Deadly Hume posted:

One layout I would like to see happen one day is actually a full-size but with an orthogonal alpha block, though admittedly that's pretty niche and weird.

oh boy

have i got a deal for you

I'm working on prototyping up just such a monstrosity. When I've got workable PCBs and cases, want one?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Exit Strategy posted:

(strong opinions)

Hey man, we all deserve the keyboarding experience that best fits us individually—even lesser chumps and greater losers. Different keystrokes for different keyfolks, y'know? :)

But seriously, I am almost considering picking up another Ducky Pocket just for typing the goddam IP addresses I have to deal with on a daily basis :argh:

Continuing serioustalk, I am also very curious to see your ortholinear fullsize monstrosity. Do please post about it here!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Hey man, we all deserve the keyboarding experience that best fits us individually—even lesser chumps and greater losers. Different keystrokes for different keyfolks, y'know? :)

But seriously, I am almost considering picking up another Ducky Pocket just for typing the goddam IP addresses I have to deal with on a daily basis :argh:

Continuing serioustalk, I am also very curious to see your ortholinear fullsize monstrosity. Do please post about it here!

In all seriousness, I know we're just talking about opinions here. Mine are exaggerated for comic effect.

And I know I've posted my existing boards. I've only just started the full-size Ortho train and I'll be glad to post more as the development process continues.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Exit Strategy posted:

In all seriousness, I know we're just talking about opinions here. Mine are exaggerated for comic effect.

And I know I've posted my existing boards. I've only just started the full-size Ortho train and I'll be glad to post more as the development process continues.

:hfive: All good, buddy!

Yeah, I've seen your other builds too. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the next one :toot:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jowj posted:

SOAPBOX: i have a different niche opinion, and that is that the 6 key should be on /both/ sides!
Left hand is the only hand the 6 matters on! With how I position my hand I can't even reach the 6 with my right hand. :(

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Khorne posted:

Left hand is the only hand the 6 matters on! With how I position my hand I can't even reach the 6 with my right hand. :(

Hi Khorne!! :D

whoa how do you position your hands whaaaat? Are you positioned over homerow? Do you have Small Hands?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jowj posted:

Hi Khorne!! :D

whoa how do you position your hands whaaaat? Are you positioned over homerow? Do you have Small Hands?
I have wide hands but my fingers are really average length. And shorter than my palm. Mouse measurement wise, my hands are a bit longer than average and quite a bit wider than average.

I can reach 6 with either hand the same way. I'm just not used to doing it with the right hand, and I tend to aggressively angle my right hand with my palm kinda sideways so it takes a bit more motion.

As far as hand size, I hit up to ctrl+9 in rts games with left ctrl and my index finger. So not that small I guess, but I can't reach left ctrl + 0.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 31, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E: nvm

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I thought they were talking about the six navigation keys (home/end/etc) originally and not the actual number six key.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Does that send real numpad codes?

Unsure, I'd have to check.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I enjoy the tada68 layout but I really dislike those keycap colors...

Are there any solid options for replacing them? I've replaced keycaps on my code, but a smaller layout seems a bit more difficult and finicky.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I enjoy the tada68 layout but I really dislike those keycap colors...

Are there any solid options for replacing them? I've replaced keycaps on my code, but a smaller layout seems a bit more difficult and finicky.

The keys you need to worry about are the three 1u modifiers on the right hand side and the 1.75u right shift key.

This is the current set I use, you might be able to find it on alieexpress or elsewhere: https://drop.com/buy/73957

More and more sets are coming with add-ons that work for the Tada68 and if you're getting a premium full set it will almost always have the keys you need. I have a few cheaper sets at home, when I get some time I'll try to make you a list.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Exit Strategy posted:

oh boy

have i got a deal for you

I'm working on prototyping up just such a monstrosity. When I've got workable PCBs and cases, want one?
Well that sounds fun. Keep me posted!

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

ItBreathes posted:

Do all y'all numpadless people never type numbers? Using the number row is painful for anything more than 1 or 2 digits.

I do a lot of number input and have a TKL and a separate NumPad board. It means I can reposition both boards separately and have plenty of room for mousing in games.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Massdrop x Mito XDA Canvas is "expected" to ship on the 6th.

Anyone actually think that will happen?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
other than massdrop, what are good keycaps sites

mewse
May 2, 2006

AliExpress

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Kbdfans, PimpMyKeyboard, Flashquark...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

other than massdrop, what are good keycaps sites

kbdfans
zfrontier
kono store
pimpmykeyboard (signature plastic's actual consumer storefront lol)
ymdk aliexpress page
kprepublic aliexpress page
kbdfans aliexpress page

Of course you'll need to do some research and have some discretion when picking keycaps. Some are appallingly bad like the knockoff laser-etched ones.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

What I'm looking for is probably a fool's errand but is there a keyboard out there that has the build quality of something like a Massdrop Alt but has software that a normal, non-programmer human being can use? Like all I want to do is change the LED colors around when I switch wallpapers but QMK is indecipherable to me. Even if I could get it to work it just looks plain tedious.

I'd like to keep the next board I get in that tkl to compact range (but still have arrow keys). Hot swappable keys would be nice but if it just has Kaihua or Gateron switches that's fine too. A really nice bog standard no lights keyboard might just suit me well enough too. I don't need the lights to type I just like how it looks.

I hate to give up on my Alt, it feels amazing to type on and it made my old GMMK look and feel like a piece of crap. But now that I've made some upgrades to my computer the new motherboard doesn't run power through USB's while the system is turned off so now it won't even stay on the preset color scheme I like to leave it on. It's gone from limiting to a pain in the rear end every time I turn my computer back on. I really don't want to go back to Logitech gaming keyboards but I don't really see anything else that has that kind of software usability.

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 3, 2019

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Like all I want to do is change the LED colors around...but QMK is indecipherable to me.

I’m not sure QMK can do that, there’s no OS component that will send it events when the wallpaper changes. One downside to not requiring a driver.

That said, I feel you on the UX of changing LED patterns. It’s disappointing that their configurator doesn’t support it, even after selling these boards all this time.

All I really want is for my keyboard to not start a Pride parade every time I plug the keyboard in. I should not have to fire up a text editor to do this.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

pgroce posted:

I’m not sure QMK can do that, there’s no OS component that will send it events when the wallpaper changes. One downside to not requiring a driver.

That said, I feel you on the UX of changing LED patterns. It’s disappointing that their configurator doesn’t support it, even after selling these boards all this time.

All I really want is for my keyboard to not start a Pride parade every time I plug the keyboard in. I should not have to fire up a text editor to do this.

They have the online configurator https://drop.com/mechanical-keyboards/configurator but so far I haven't been able to make it work for me. But like I said, even if I could get it to work it's a lot of steps for something I'm able to do with every other component on my computer with ease.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

You might want to check your bios settings for the USB power state when off.
On my Asrock motherboard its called "USB Power Delivery in Soft Off State (S5)"

Edit: I agree updating the QMK profile is definitely not as easy as something like a Realforce or gaming peripheral (Corsair, Logitech, etc). I quickly switched from the configurator to doing my own profiles from the QMK source, its much easier to modify things there quickly, I think, if you are comfortable. Its still a lot more steps than any other stand alone software.

Burno fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 4, 2019

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

I really don't want to go back to Logitech gaming keyboards but I don't really see anything else that has that kind of software usability.

I haven't used Razer's mechanical keyboards, but I like their software for controlling the lights and key assignments on my laptop keyboard and my mouse.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

What I'm looking for is probably a fool's errand but is there a keyboard out there that has the build quality of something like a Massdrop Alt but has software that a normal, non-programmer human being can use? Like all I want to do is change the LED colors around when I switch wallpapers but QMK is indecipherable to me. Even if I could get it to work it just looks plain tedious.

Nothing really out there. The typical consumers from both communities have pretty different expectations, so the companies react accordingly.

Typical gamers are into RGB lighting and lighting effects so you have the companies delivering that in their gaming software. Plus they have the budget and really need to add more of these features for marketing purposes.

RGB is more of an afterthought for typical keeb enthusiasts. Keycaps are the preferred way to customize the keyboard's look. People also prefer not to run any additional software for their keyboard (which would be required for game integration lighting effects, etc.)

Most of it is also community-based or from small companies.

Small companies:
- Chinese companies: poo poo software like the ones for iGK64 and Anne Pro
- Input Club: competent devs but completely convoluted bullshit like KLL and their lighting configurator

Community:
- most of their RGB lighting needs can be done in QMK or couldn't be bothered

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Eagerly waiting for QMK to support lighting on the K-Type. I can't be arsed with the half-assed Configurator.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
How far along is the QMK support on it in general? Mine has been sitting in the box unused ever since I got my CTRL, because the kiibohd firmware can't replicate the 60% behavior I love where Esc, tilde, and backtick are all the same key in different modifier states. Would love to not have to buy another CTRL to use for my work setup if I can just flash my K-Type.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

G-Prime posted:

How far along is the QMK support on it in general? Mine has been sitting in the box unused ever since I got my CTRL, because the kiibohd firmware can't replicate the 60% behavior I love where Esc, tilde, and backtick are all the same key in different modifier states. Would love to not have to buy another CTRL to use for my work setup if I can just flash my K-Type.
It works fully, just haven't tried lighting.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like well-known keycap designer MiTo is planning a second round of Godspeed SA :toot:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Bought the CODE V3 87-Key Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown for when I replace my laptop with a desktop.

I've been trying it out, and I've got to say that it's a big adjustment from my Thinkpad keyboard. It looks great and seems sturdy. However, the difference in "travel" distance in terms of how much pressure is needed for each key feels rough. It's also kind of strange needing to do a diagonal motion (going from one pressed-down key diagonally up to another unpressed key) instead of just a simple horizontal motion (because the Thinkpad keys don't drop enough to prevent side-to-side motion).

I was able to type on it accurately after ~5 minutes, but it feels like my fingers are doing 5x as much work as they do on the Thinkpad. Have other people experienced this and adapted to it?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Looks like well-known keycap designer MiTo is planning a second round of Godspeed SA :toot:

Another Godspeed run will probably sell well. Seems like a bit of overkill as it’s been ran as SA, XDA and MT3 now. Guess the demand is still high enough if there’s going to be another run.

I’ll probably join the Serika MT3 Drop as I prefer PBT over ABS (and already own a Godspeed set).

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

surf rock posted:

Bought the CODE V3 87-Key Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown for when I replace my laptop with a desktop.

I've been trying it out, and I've got to say that it's a big adjustment from my Thinkpad keyboard. It looks great and seems sturdy. However, the difference in "travel" distance in terms of how much pressure is needed for each key feels rough. It's also kind of strange needing to do a diagonal motion (going from one pressed-down key diagonally up to another unpressed key) instead of just a simple horizontal motion (because the Thinkpad keys don't drop enough to prevent side-to-side motion).

I was able to type on it accurately after ~5 minutes, but it feels like my fingers are doing 5x as much work as they do on the Thinkpad. Have other people experienced this and adapted to it?

One cool thing about mechanical switches is that they actuate about halfway down so with some practice you can learn to type by just bouncing your fingers off of the keys instead of pressing the key all the way down. If you can't get the hang of that there are easy ways to shorten the travel distance, the easiest of which is by putting o-rings on the keycap stems to make them bottom out earlier. Lots of people will say o-rings make mechanical keyboards feel like garbage but I never felt that way when I used them.

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ll probably join the Serika MT3 Drop as I prefer PBT over ABS (and already own a Godspeed set).

Man I really want an MT3 profile set but I think I'll wait until they learn how to print the legends straight.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 6, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

surf rock posted:

Yes, you'll get used to it after a few weeks of regular use. I would stick it out for a while and see what you think.

But this thread may give a skewed perspective. Everyone here passionately loves mechanical keyboards, but that's because we're all mechanical keyboard hobbyists. Most people just don't see what the big deal is, there's nothing wrong with you if you just prefer your laptop's scissor keys. If that's the case then a co-worker of mine just got this keyboard for $27 made by some outfit called Arteck and it is bar none the best cheap non-mechnical I've ever seen. Ultra thin, steel backed, no batteries (it plugs in and charges and a charge lasts a couple months) and scissor switches. Only available in full size is the only drawback (for some people).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, you'll get used to it after a few weeks of regular use. I would stick it out for a while and see what you think.

But this thread may give a skewed perspective. Everyone here passionately loves mechanical keyboards, but that's because we're all mechanical keyboard hobbyists. Most people just don't see what the big deal is, there's nothing wrong with you if you just prefer your laptop's scissor keys. If that's the case then a co-worker of mine just got this keyboard for $27 made by some outfit called Arteck and it is bar none the best cheap non-mechnical I've ever seen. Ultra thin, steel backed, no batteries (it plugs in and charges and a charge lasts a couple months) and scissor switches. Only available in full size is the only drawback (for some people).

Great, I'll do that, and I appreciate the back-up tip. Thanks!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The CODE is a really nice keyboard, I have the same one in full size. You're just describing laptop vs desktop in general, your fingers will get used to it. Are you on the new Thinkpad kb or the old one?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

internet celebrity posted:

Man I really want an MT3 profile set but I think I'll wait until they learn how to print the legends straight.

Huh, what’s wrong with the legends?!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

Huh, what’s wrong with the legends?!

Lots of QC issues on the initial run. Didn't really keep up with it recently to see if it's mostly been fixed. But basically, a few of the legends are consistently off-center and some are thicker than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so glad I missed out on the MT3 version of Godspeed - I prefer SA, and the colors will probably pop a little more. Still kicking myself for skipping SA Laser.

LochNessMonster posted:

Couldn't pass up Latin alphas + modifiers + super homing. Might grab novelties before it end.

internet celebrity posted:

If you don't mind taking the time to inspect each keycap in the set, Drop will send you a full replacement and let you keep your original order if there's an issue.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 6, 2019