Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

one day i hope to get out of the bottom split in skips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Hey everyone, post a quick 'this is a cool car to drive' post for whatever series you're into atm and I'll add it to the OP

Join Fixed Ferraris Today! This series involves driving a car that is actively trying to kill you. Freshly graduated from rookies, this series is open to all D class licenses and above. What better way to celebrate by dropping your SR below 2.0 and cratering your iRating by repeated death in bottom split. A small investment in the 488 GT3 car will get you hours of entertainment as a slight love tap on your friend running two wide into a turn sends them spinning off into oblivion. You will be forced to learn better braking habits to get faster in this trial by rapidly spinning fire. Races happen on the :30's most (but not all) hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the Ferrari is snap oversteer city and it’s hard to recover from. I can save maybe 7 out of 10 oversteer incidents in the skippy, but like 1 out of 10 in the Ferrari, if that.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
The Spec Racer Ford doesn't like you. In fact, it will try to kill you at every opportunity. And you won't even be going very fast when you die, so it's extra humiliating. This is a good thing. It means the incompetent morons and people who jump into a race without practicing will rack up 8 incidents in qualifying and disconnect before the race starts. That means the drivers you'll actually race against are actually, usually, worth racing against. They may still spin a lot, but they're not divebombing under you when they do it, and know not to pull back on track right in front of you. If they're slow as hell, they know it and will let you by if you're lapping them. The regulars in the series are good, clean racers that almost always will share setups and advice to newbies at any time. Like the skippy, you can run the same setup pretty much everywhere, I've run nothing but setups posted in the forums and stay competitive. The car itself, as I understand it, in real life was designed for a much different engine than what it ended up with, so it has some weird characteristics. Basically, it has a lot of off-throttle oversteer that makes the car seem undrivable when you first jump in it. However, once you put a little time in and get a feel for what the car wants to do, holy poo poo it's fun and what seemed like an unpredictable mess of a car is actually quite predictable and controllable. The oversteer that scares people away actually gives you a ton of freedom to control rotation it the turns, and gives you a feeling that you can make the car do anything with the proper footwork. I actually feel like I'm driving the SRF, it's a feeling most cars don't give me. So yeah, it's a free car, runs like 4 free tracks a season, is a blast to drive and has one of the best communities on iRacing. Try it, take the time to learn it, it's worth the learning curve.

The USAC Sprint Car is the SRF on dirt, but really fast. It also seems to want to kill you, but that's because it's designed that way, because sprint cars are awesome. It has a ton of power and no downforce, and can seem difficult compared to the winged cars. It's really fun though, and like the SRF, the fact that you actually have to put a little time in to get competent in it acts as a barrier to idiots, so generally the drivers you race against are respectful and clean, especially compared to winged sprints. It's a really fun car to drive of course, and because of the importance of driver skill in this car, you have options to run alternate lines as the track dries out. Many times I've been able to pass several cars in the waning laps of a race just by searching around and finding grip on the bottom when nobody else is running there. The iRacing setups are excellent, I usually can run towards the front running them completely untouched, and they are generally faster and/or easier to drive than the setups I have in my folder. Unfortunately nobody drives the 410, but the 360 has several races go official daily, and is still a hoot.

Rookie Rallycross. Free car, free tracks, separate license so if you crash no biggie. Races go official pretty much 24/7. Has a reputation for terrible driving, but it is rookies so of course there's some terrible driving. If you survive turn 1 though, it's usually pretty clean imo, I'm averaging 1.16 incidents per race this year, and that includes me being awful at Lucas Oil trucks too. Oh yeah, go buy that stuff to if you can, it's stupid fun. But yeah, rookie rallycross is the perfect solution if you want to have fun racing with no pressure, it's my go-to random rear end race before I go to bed series.

Outlaw Mailman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 31, 2019

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
The Mercedes AMG GT3 (Bathtub Edition) is the official goon endurance racing car.
Team Bearpope Enduro enjoys a smooth ride with the most balanced GT3 car. It's built like a tank, turns like an ancient galleon and has the sound of a grumpy coffee machine. The AMG is used in the IMSA series where you get to enrage whiny GTE drivers by abiding to the rules, the VRS GT Sprint/Endurance series where all the GT3 cars duke out the worst driver and several 6h+ events where we test for up to 24h if the car or the armco barriers last longer.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Seconding everything said about the Spec Racer Ford. It's frustrating at first but once you learn it and start turning fast laps with it, you feel like a total badass.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Outlaw Mailman posted:

The Spec Racer Ford doesn't like you. In fact, it will try to kill you at every opportunity. And you won't even be going very fast when you die, so it's extra humiliating. This is a good thing.

Testify.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Schorsch posted:

The Mercedes AMG GT3 (Bathtub Edition) is the official goon endurance racing car.
Team Bearpope Enduro enjoys a smooth ride with the most balanced GT3 car. It's built like a tank, turns like an ancient galleon and has the sound of a grumpy coffee machine. The AMG is used in the IMSA series where you get to enrage whiny GTE drivers by abiding to the rules, the VRS GT Sprint/Endurance series where all the GT3 cars duke out the worst driver and several 6h+ events where we test for up to 24h if the car or the armco barriers last longer.

What's the consensus on the Z4? I asked in discord but it will probably disappear before the Euro folks see it. I always liked it in AC. I've got the Ferrari and I'm going to pick up the AMG for bearpope races once I get my license up. I was trying to think what I would drive personally in the sprint series.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
All GT3s are fine except for the Ford, which is out of date and doesn't quite work properly, making it slow. Everything else is pretty balanced and usable.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

HPD ARX-01C Filling the role of the LMP2 class in the iRacing. This is the car for you if you: Love downforce cars, love not actively being murdered at every single corner, and hate buttons. There are two official series that run this car currently, the iLMS (iRacing Le Mans Series)- a 1 hour long, multi-class sprint race featuring LMP1, LMP2 and GTE class cars- and the iELMS- a 6hour endurance race version of the same. There are also special events (Such as the 24h of Le Mans) that use the same lineup. The car is beautifully simple to drive but very quick and hard to master. Field sizes tend to be smaller then P1 and GTE but keep it on the track and you stand a chance of a decent result.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

Just for clarification, I didn't say it was easy to drive. I only said it doesn't require a clutch.

It is prone to snap oversteer under braking, off throttle, unloaded (cresting), loaded (in first). Really I could have just not listed the conditions and said "it is prone to snap oversteer".

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The other thing about the Ferrari is the D-class series is fixed setup, and the baseline setup is an understeery pig. I find it kind of frustrating to drive, especially on circuits that really prefer a loose car, like Spa and Silverstone
Thanks for the warning, GT3 cars still intimidate me so I'll stick with the mazda and skip for now. I think there is a spec racer ford series I can run to get my participation bonus and wait on the new schedule to buy some tracks.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just a warning, the SRF is... tough.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
GT3s are like driving a nice comfortable sofa, the SRF is like driving a coffee table with 4 different length legs

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Or the Radical. There was that gooncar where we did Radicals at nords and someone shared their "stable" setup in which all four tire pressures and ride heights were different

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NtotheTC posted:

Or the Radical. There was that gooncar where we did Radicals at nords and someone shared their "stable" setup in which all four tire pressures and ride heights were different

So, that sounds like a coffee table with all four legs different lengths.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Whelp, did my first ever race against other folks and ran into the guy on the grid right next to me before the green flag.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That Radical setup was actually good as hell

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Whelp, did my first ever race against other folks and ran into the guy on the grid right next to me before the green flag.

Fixed Ferrari usually includes a car getting airborne before green.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Vando posted:

Yes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Powers posted:

Fixed Ferrari usually includes a car getting airborne before green.

Yeah happened in a race I was in the other night, guy in front of me got on the brakes hard behind the pace car, I got on the brakes hard, guy behind me did the same and the guy behind him hit him so hard he landed on his roof.

Flippin is racin.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Vando posted:

It was an amazing set it just highlighted how wierd that car is

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah happened in a race I was in the other night, guy in front of me got on the brakes hard behind the pace car, I got on the brakes hard, guy behind me did the same and the guy behind him hit him so hard he landed on his roof.

Flippin is racin.

This happened to me shortly after I posted it, but luckily it was just me getting rear ended and it didn't seem to damage anything, so just 4x for both of us. I do really enjoy this week at Spa, though, because you'll crest at the top of eau rouge and there will just be a car tumbling down the track.

Is there an authoritative rule on the track limits? I know it's tighter than "keep a set of wheels on the curb" because I'll get an off track in a lot of places doing that. The last section of eau rouge (left at the top of the hill) seems to have a large cuttable area (much more lenient than other parts of the track) before you get an off track, and even then you have to cut further to get a black flag. I can't figure out where the line is for the off track, though (also true of pretty much every other turn as well).

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Just a warning, the SRF is... tough.

Indeed. But it has a lot to teach you if you're willing to learn.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The SRF hurts because it cares.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there an authoritative rule on the track limits?

At spa? Drop acid and take a guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iRacing's rule I believe is if the center point of the car crosses where they've placed the limit it's an off-track. Where they've placed the limit though is down to arcane reasoning that only Kaemmer understands, like there are places in Spa where you can't go on the kerbs but at Watkins Glen you can use half the run off for turn 1 before getting an off-track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well actual race cars use the runoff at Watkins Glen.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar is in one hour from this post, remember to join the league if you're one of the several new people kicking around. And Discord, join that too.

Vando fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Thompson trip report: 13 goons on a short track is a great way to test iracing's GWC system. Making a 50 lap race run to 66 laps? Just great value.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Did anyone report that as a possible bug, combining GWC with a timed event? Or do we think it was working as intended?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The flashing white flag was definitely not intended.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar in 1hr! At noted good and cool track Donington Park!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to get into a scheduled race with a friend? Fixed Ferrari is on Road America this week (our local track) and a friend and I will both be running it. It would be nice to get into the same lobby.

Although while typing that I realized that would only work if our iratings were similar?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

There's no garaunteed way to do it for official races but unless 60+ people sign up or your irating are over 500 points apart you'll generally be in the same split

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There's almost no way to do it in the fixed Ferrari series because that pops multiple sessions in almost every slot I think, and if it splits more than 3/4 times and you're under 3k irating you're probably going to have to be within 100-200 points of each other to have a solid chance.

e: example, me, Pinny and Schorsch jumped into Ferraris at the same time last week, 1480, 1858 and 1554 iR respectively. Me and Schorsch ended up cars 12 and 8 in split 3 of 7, Pinny ended up car 3 in split 2 (19 car fields).

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 20, 2019

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to get into a scheduled race with a friend?

gooncar

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vando posted:

There's almost no way to do it in the fixed Ferrari series because that pops multiple sessions in almost every slot I think, and if it splits more than 3/4 times and you're under 3k irating you're probably going to have to be within 100-200 points of each other to have a solid chance.

e: example, me, Pinny and Schorsch jumped into Ferraris at the same time last week, 1480, 1858 and 1554 iR respectively. Me and Schorsch ended up cars 12 and 8 in split 3 of 7, Pinny ended up car 3 in split 2 (19 car fields).

Used to do this to get into the iRacing NASCAR series races with my brother. We'd have to be within about 200 iRating of each other and get a little lucky because those races split a lot, especially on the popular tracks. It worked about 80% of the time though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Running off-times, and having a close iRating are the best ways. If you find a race that doesn't split or only splits once, that's your best chance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go home social media intern, you’re drunk

https://twitter.com/iracing/status/1166528388049379328?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
How come there's nothing in the OP about the crew chief app? I installed it last night and it's great.

I'm starting to reach the point where I'm good enough to get really frustrated at not being good.

I joined iracing a little over two weeks ago and I'm working on the mx5 cup. Laguna Seca is my second track and I've got my time down to 1:43.76, which is way off the leader, but feels good when I'm doing it. Still, obvious mistakes to work on so it's fun just trying to clean things up and, most of all, get consistent.

That's my biggest weakness.. I just can't string laps together. One little mistake and you lose a half second.. It's so frustrating.

Loving Simracing and glad I joined iracing. It's really fun, even if sometimes I loving hate it.