Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

That's just the thing. None of these other conspiracies you mention are the same as each other, much less the same as Qanon. Maybe it would be cool if we could discuss the similarities and differences instead of shutting discussion down?

No, I don't think people have never fallen for conspiracies before, though clearly I hosed something up since multiple people seem to think that's what I said. To clarify, I'm saying they're not all the same, and I think dismissing them as such is lazy thinking.

No they were, the internet just didn’t make them quite as relevant in your life before. I don’t know how to baby step you through the idea of the availability heuristic without coming across as an even bigger dick than I am right now. But all the poo poo you claim is unique about Q has happened over and over again, thats why every post since yours has been people dunking on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yep, I said it before but the only difference is that this poo poo was relegated to gun conventions, conferences and independent bookstores. Somewhere I've got a book of really deep conspiracies I picked up on a school trip to DC. Stuff like Son of Sam being a fall guy for the Cult of Samhain, the Process Church and also surprisingly good info on COINTELPRO. It's like people finding out that 90% of Dale Gribble's conspiracy theories were real.

The only defense of humanity with Satanic Panic is that there was a small conspiracy to protect the reputation of the accusers. If I'm remembering right they worked really hard to hide just how batshit and obviously coerced the testimony was. If they would have let people hear that the main accuser said she was the headmaster fly around the school on a broom I think it would have sunk a lot faster.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 30, 2019

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's a psychological response to Trump not being the savior. Chuds are finally getting something that they want now thanks to the camps, but even that's probably a weak compromise to them. The people falling for Q don't care about policy or the 1,000 lovely things the Republicans are succeeding at. They wanted Trump to make the scary foreigners go away, "drain the swamp" and prove that they were right and their kids were wrong and goddamn it they'll come crawling back any day now. Plus some number of alt-righters who want their video games back, the SJWs gone and a girlfriend.

Since Trump wasn't the savior, they built a fantasy where he was. That's it. Q was a means to an end and that's why it took off despite the obvious issues. They want to believe so they do most of the work.

In the same way that JFK theories are big because people were terrified of Oswald pulling it off alone, and that black helicopters and the evil UN let white men be afraid of a bigger scarier enemy.

We see baby versions of it too. There was that tumblr post comparing Q to the fan conspiracy theories that sprung up to deal with the cognitive dissonance caused by something as small as a bad Radiohead album and a bad season of Sherlock. Hell, there was a whole now mostly forgotten conspiracy theory that Metal Gear Solid 5 was going to get a bunch of free DLC and Kojima wasn't really fired and it was all just one big ARG.

People don't like feeling like they're wrong or that they're just not going to get what they want.

That's an astute analogy. Like the conspiracy is a way to resolve the cognitive dissonance.

The fan mini-conspiracies are a good point too. I recollect when the final Harry Potter volume was released, the manuscript leaked a few weeks beforehand to a massive fan outcry that it couldn't be real, this was a diversion (why?), the writing was terrible, the plot awful, all the characters wrong ... which just underlines the poor judgement of the fanbase.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nonathlon posted:

That's an astute analogy. Like the conspiracy is a way to resolve the cognitive dissonance.

The fan mini-conspiracies are a good point too. I recollect when the final Harry Potter volume was released, the manuscript leaked a few weeks beforehand to a massive fan outcry that it couldn't be real, this was a diversion (why?), the writing was terrible, the plot awful, all the characters wrong ... which just underlines the poor judgement of the fanbase.

Why would they think it was a fake if the writing was terrible, the plot awful, and the characters all wrong. Had none of the fans read any of the books yet or what?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Captain Monkey posted:

No they were, the internet just didn’t make them quite as relevant in your life before. I don’t know how to baby step you through the idea of the availability heuristic without coming across as an even bigger dick than I am right now. But all the poo poo you claim is unique about Q has happened over and over again, thats why every post since yours has been people dunking on you.

It's different now. Hell is other people and connection to other people is just the default now

Age Of Consent
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
867-5309
Do the the math

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Hell, Charles Mackay identified a good chunk of the pattern behind this sort of thing in his Extraordinary Popular Delusions back in 1841 - this pattern's about as old as modernity and widespread news propagation itself.

Isn't it nice, sugar and spice
Luring disco dollies to a life of...?
#WWG1WWA, the Storm is coming
God wins!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1156223464975548419

Whoa indeed

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The only defense of humanity with Satanic Panic is that there was a small conspiracy to protect the reputation of the accusers. If I'm remembering right they worked really hard to hide just how batshit and obviously coerced the testimony was. If they would have let people hear that the main accuser said she was the headmaster fly around the school on a broom I think it would have sunk a lot faster.

Yeah not just from the public but also from the defense. One of the prosecutors resigned in protest because the prosecution was concealing the fact that the mother who made the first accusations was a paranoid schizophrenic (she was also the one who claimed that the teacher could fly).

I didn't know before today that the accusations also involved children being flushed down the toilets to an otherwise inaccessible underground bunker. I thought my respect for Boomers couldn't go any lower but my god how dumb are our parents

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Woah. I mean. Woah the gently caress.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1156243330952507394

Qanon account.

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1156248231883489280

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 30, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pseudanonymous posted:

I have to say on the JFK one, I don't have any particular belief, I've just heard so many weird things over the years about it that in my head I'm like something strange happened right? But then I wonder am I just an effete q-anon liberal equivalent. I mean I don't really care whether a cabal assassinated JFK, I certainly don't read J-drops or anything. It just... seems strange to me. But I also never really look at it (picked up the breadcrumbs as they say).

Why do you think that way? Well, I pretty much described it a few pages ago...

LanceHunter posted:

That’s a tremendously optimistic outlook, that Q will be a quaint relic in the future. These kinds of conspiracy theories just gain legitimacy as time goes on. Look at all the Kennedy assassination theories. It starts with pure nut jobs, then there are hucksters trying to get something off the nutjobs, then it dies down for a bit.... But then it gains some counter-cultural cachet. Maybe you have some punks making songs referencing it (to parody the initial nutjobs - https://youtu.be/l9jAGtfi8S4 ) maybe it’s just idiot kids trying to say something edgy. (You’re already seeing this with the “Bush did 911” meme-ing.)

So, while all that counter-cultural cachet builds, a new generation is growing up and exposed to it, robbed of the original context. Instead, to them, it’s just something said by people who are too cool for their parents to like. Then those kids become adults and suddenly there’s “serious” looking into if there was actually something to all those conspiracies. Popular culture starts referencing the conspiracy in less-mocking tones, and so the next generation buys into it even more.

So yeah, before 2100 there will be more than one studio movie that references how Q was right. That’s the future that’s in front of us.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah not just from the public but also from the defense. One of the prosecutors resigned in protest because the prosecution was concealing the fact that the mother who made the first accusations was a paranoid schizophrenic (she was also the one who claimed that the teacher could fly).

I didn't know before today that the accusations also involved children being flushed down the toilets to an otherwise inaccessible underground bunker. I thought my respect for Boomers couldn't go any lower but my god how dumb are our parents

One of the mothers was essentially a Munchausen by Proxy case who brought similar allegations to caretakers after the McMartin case. She was also in a relationship with Ted Gunderson, the ex-FBI agent who helped popularize the whole panic.

The bunker poo poo led to an actual excavation by a bunch of parents (and attended by Ted Gunderson) years after that hosed up on the first day when some cops figured that someone had planted dead tortoises recently (one of the accusations was that animals were sacrificed in front of the kids and later buried on premises). They even tried to pass off old rear end dirt tunnels that are routinely done for plumbing maintenance as the tunnels themselves (described as full on concrete and tall enough to walk through comfortably).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Voteridplease/status/1156368733767684096
Madness feeding madness, this is going to go really well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whatever happened to the qanon people who landed a boat on Epstein’s island? Did Moloch get them?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

That's just the thing. None of these other conspiracies you mention are the same as each other, much less the same as Qanon. Maybe it would be cool if we could discuss the similarities and differences instead of shutting discussion down?

No, I don't think people have never fallen for conspiracies before, though clearly I hosed something up since multiple people seem to think that's what I said. To clarify, I'm saying they're not all the same, and I think dismissing them as such is lazy thinking.

Read my posts in this thread to see both a lot of discussion about what you're trying to address here as well as a demonstration of why that particular line of thought gets repeatedly shut down in this threat.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Whatever happened to the qanon people who landed a boat on Epstein’s island? Did Moloch get them?

The GBS Epstein thread had a couple photos but that's it. Guess they were converted or consumed by Lord Moloch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm on board folks

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They cross-posted in the timeshare reddit.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm on board folks

checks out. we reached the moon by cannon launch in the early 1900s, after all.

today is supposed to be a big day for Q right? the "declas" begins?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm on board folks

this would be better if there was a big fat moon far away then a close svelte sexy moon who was tiny.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

checks out. we reached the moon by cannon launch in the early 1900s, after all.

today is supposed to be a big day for Q right? the "declas" begins?

I am so ready for the great haqqening

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Of course, Q are some of the only people who think he isn't a gibbering chimp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1156619784475283458

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Always wondered, how do those types square hyper-patriotism and believing the country was founded by Masonic Satanists?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Always wondered, how do those types square hyper-patriotism and believing the country was founded by Masonic Satanists?

Because "true" America (which they are a part of) was ordained by God in Heaven; so of course Satan would be sending his agents to try and infiltrate God's ordained country and bring it to its knees. The struggle between Godly Americans and satanic Masons is as old as the country itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

How do conservatives believe that immigrants are simultaneously lazy and also stealing our jobs: they are morons.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

zoux posted:

How do conservatives believe that immigrants are simultaneously lazy and also stealing our jobs: they are morons.

The more hard-core conspiracy theorists are the more likely they are to believe strongly in multiple mutually exclusive conspiracies. Logic or the lack of it is not an issue for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean once you arrive at the conclusion that there exists a baby eating Canaanite god worshipped by the world's elite, you're probably down for whatever

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

zoux posted:

They've mostly moved away from "they're stealing our jobs" and onto "they're using our [apparently incredibly robust, in these people's eyes] welfare."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr. Killjoy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They've mostly moved away from "they're stealing our jobs" and onto "they're using our [apparently incredibly robust, in these people's eyes] welfare."

They've been routinely flipping between those two accusations since before Reagan.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I expect this thread to cough up plenty of tears when declass doesn’t happen.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr. Killjoy posted:

All the answers given are probably each right, and also construction of the Washington Monument didn’t start until 1848, years after our sainted founders.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some people are just Looney Tunes conspiracy theory weirdos that would be in a camper on an episode of X-Files where Mulder looks at them and scoffs.
For others it's propaganda for a rising fascist party.

For the latter group things being obviously contradictory bullshit is a bug not a feature. Sartre was explaining this decades ago. It being obviously contradictory bullshit makes their enemies (and make absolutely no mistake, they are 100% framed as enemies and deserving violence by fascists) feel obligated to engage with it in a rational manner pointing out the contradictory bullshit, to which the fascist spews even more contradictory bullshit. The entire time the goal is not to engage rationally, it is to spread the emotional message of hatred of their targeted out-group. They don't care at all whether they're right, they're winning by contributing to the fog bank of hatred and bigotry that is the entire propaganda machine. Fact check them for the next century, they don't give a gently caress. You're spreading their message for them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hail Moloch

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Opferwurst posted:

Hail Moloch

That's gonna leave such a dent in my car.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Pardon me, good patriot, all deep state members will pay on...hold on, let me check the date, it's changed again recently...

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

^Yep, I said it before but the only difference is that this poo poo was relegated to gun conventions, conferences and independent bookstores. Somewhere I've got a book of really deep conspiracies I picked up on a school trip to DC. Stuff like Son of Sam being a fall guy for the Cult of Samhain, the Process Church and also surprisingly good info on COINTELPRO. It's like people finding out that 90% of Dale Gribble's conspiracy theories were real.

A lifetime ago as a psych major one of my profs specialized in eyewitness testimony/memory and being the mid 90's he went off on mini-rants on a whole lot of stuff from around then; most of these abuse cases read like a guide to "how to create false memories in children", and in cases like this the "experts" advised police to do things like "every time the kid reveals a detail, give them a candy", "tell parents to go home and repeatedly tell the kids something bad happened and it's okay and they need to tell the officers all about it", "if a kid gets angry about being questioned they're fighting repressed memories, keep at it" and my favorite "any testimony that's fantastical or impossible is just the child repressing the real traumatic memories, so just pay attention to the real parts".

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I'm on board folks

Flat earthers already believe this. At least, the ones who don't think that the moon is a hologram do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Nah, just means they decoded the timing wrong. It's still coming.