Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

I wish I could turn it into a soundbite but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to legal stuff, but apparently Vic's lawyer goofed up yet again. Every other lawyer who isn't Nick seems to be just shaking their heads.

Vic's lawyer accused the judge of an ethics violation, in a way that is proven false, because he's very stupid.
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1156664980885987329?s=20
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1156667802578817024?s=20

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Wanderer posted:

So I guess after the announcement that Alyssa Wong would be writing some books for Marvel, somebody decided to gin up a hate parade against her by blatantly falsifying a tweet where she slagged off Stan Lee.

https://twitter.com/crashwong/status/1156652450629091328

The weirdest part of this Alyssa Wong harassment campaign is that it requires Comicsgaters to pretend to be sad a Jewish guy is dead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

So I guess after the announcement that Alyssa Wong would be writing some books for Marvel, somebody decided to gin up a hate parade against her by blatantly falsifying a tweet where she slagged off Stan Lee.

Yeah the usual poo poo sites are apparently running the story into the ground. Bleeding Cool, normally a poo poo site, is actually reporting it factually that it's fake. So I guess yay Bleeding Cool?

Eww, that felt dirty to type.

Also why is this a thing now? The book was announced a long time ago and there's already an issue out. A little late on the fake hate campaign if you ask me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Yeah the usual poo poo sites are apparently running the story into the ground. Bleeding Cool, normally a poo poo site, is actually reporting it factually that it's fake. So I guess yay Bleeding Cool?

Also why is this a thing now? The book was announced a long time ago and there's already an issue out. A little late on the fake hate campaign if you ask me.

Hey, the satanic panic is back in style, retro is in.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

X-O posted:

Someone probably saw the book was out, went "EWWWW women," and then started that to drum up something to start the GFM dollars rolling in. They basically need something at this point.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It probably doesn't help that on top of Wong's visible, unapologetic WOC-ness, her primary claim to mainstream fame is that she's a writer on Overwatch, which has been a chud lightning rod (gay characters, incredibly slash-happy fanbase, etc.) since before its actual retail release.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Wanderer posted:

It probably doesn't help that on top of Wong's visible, unapologetic WOC-ness, her primary claim to mainstream fame is that she's a writer on Overwatch, which has been a chud lightning rod (gay characters, incredibly slash-happy fanbase, etc.) since before its actual retail release.

She actually has only been on the Overwatch team a year now. I’m not sure what she’s even written for them since there hasn’t been a whole lot in the past year, but the rest of your point still stands.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
how does that game have a writer, much less multiple ones? I thought it was just multiplayer bullshit. does she write charcter bios?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

how does that game have a writer, much less multiple ones? I thought it was just multiplayer bullshit. does she write charcter bios?

I think it also has comics and other narrative stuff.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Soonmot posted:

Overwatch has an absurd amount of lore considering that almost none of it is actually in the game. There are a lot of trailers, animated shorts, and comics on the website that introduce and flesh out the cast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Claytor posted:

The weirdest part of this Alyssa Wong harassment campaign is that it requires Comicsgaters to pretend to be sad a Jewish guy is dead.

Remember when they were running the Stan memorial in each issue after he passed and Ya Boi Dickie tore up that page along with every other page in whatever issue of Wasp or Squirrel Girl he was mad at because the women weren't drawn in such a way he wanted to bone them?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PenguinKnight posted:

The card appearing as #1488 is a huge coincidence. Gatherer’s ordered by set->color->alphabetical. The card art was done by a certified white supremacist

IHMO, it's too improbable to be a coincidence. It couldn't *possibly* be a coincidence that a card entitled "Invoke Prejudice" was assigned to a known white supremacist fuckface.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

Overwatch has an absurd amount of lore considering that almost none of it is actually in the game. There are a lot of trailers, animated shorts, and comics on the website that introduce and flesh out the cast.

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Presented with no malice towards the letterhack, but it's a good reminder that

a) Comics fans have never been a monolithic white male group
b) Comics fans have been forever horny

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hell, she's right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah, where's the lie?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Claytor posted:

I think it's generous to assume that they know enough about Stan Lee to know that he was jewish.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

IHMO, it's too improbable to be a coincidence. It couldn't *possibly* be a coincidence that a card entitled "Invoke Prejudice" was assigned to a known white supremacist fuckface.

It being card 1488 is a coincidence, for sure

And in 1994 wotc wasn't paying nearly as much attention to who was making things and what they were as they do now. They had something like twelve people on staff for a game that was selling entire print runs instantly, they were just grabbing people they knew or a friend knew and slapping art on a card and going with it without really looking

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People are trying to call out Wong now by equating her made up 'Stan Lee was a racist hack thief' with 'it was bad Cebulski cosplayed as a Japanese man to get work' which she actually said. I'm glad CG always sends its best and brightest.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Yeah. OW was set in what Blizzard was attempting to develop into it's new MMO property and IP (dubbed TItan). It has a ridiculously detailed backstory for a dumb team based multiplayer shooter. Titan was canceled but we still have OW.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The "story" of overwatch is that the monkey scientist is assembling a team. Almost every short has been various characters finding that they're supposed to go join this team.

It's been a little while since I've paid any attention to overwatch but I'm pretty sure that team still has not been assembled over a dozen animated shorts and comics later, and I genuinely can't recall the reason a team is needed other than "there's some terrorists out there"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ninjewtsu posted:

The "story" of overwatch is that the monkey scientist is assembling a team. Almost every short has been various characters finding that they're supposed to go join this team.

It's been a little while since I've paid any attention to overwatch but I'm pretty sure that team still has not been assembled over a dozen animated shorts and comics later, and I genuinely can't recall the reason a team is needed other than "there's some terrorists out there"

The team used to be a team. Things happened, a mission went badly, some good guys joined the bad guys, everybody broke up, monkey gets the band back together with some new faces because he feels they did more good than harm. Team is needed because the world is teetering on the brink of robot apocalypse and that hasn't stopped humanity from being lovely to each other in the meantime. So some places are besieged by monolithic AIs, some are robo-racist and experiencing ghetto riots, some are just busy invading their neighbors or being a pretty utopia that ignores the problems of the world.

The story does not actually move forward. New story does not advance plot, and this background is not necessary for the characters in a team objective-shooter. New story just adds more background in case you want to know why the purple French assassin does what she does, or the flavor of the celebrity DJ's branded cereal (Lucio-ohs, actually exist in real life).

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
League of Legends has this too. Each champion has a story with wants and needs and a musical style with carefully selected instruments. It's a lot of work for the part of the game that matters the least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lifg posted:

League of Legends has this too. Each champion has a story with wants and needs and a musical style with carefully selected instruments. It's a lot of work for the part of the game that matters the least.

I don't know about league of legends, but the weird lore about the horny characters is definitely how Overwatch makes money and keeps players engaged. The actual game's just TF2 and no one would give a poo poo if they didn't want to write slash fiction about all the weirdoes in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol had that one extremely well made cg kpop music video, thats all i know about it

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

they've talked about this and apparently nobody was really paying attention when they were creating gatherer

and the artist hasnt worked there in almost 20 years so i think its safe to say this is a one off

That artist is a straight up nazi, of the "paintings of the beatific vision of Hitler variety", so hopefully!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Team Fortress 2 has a poo poo-gently caress of lore and story too, but you'd never know it from playing the game.

lifg posted:

League's story was way more interesting before they deleted everything and started the lore over from scratch.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

With TF2 lore, they made the decision to just move past the game surprisingly early on. In the comics, the whole Red Vs. Blue war that the actual game is based around ended when Mann vs Machine happened in 2012, and even the “main” comics all take place well after that.

The TF2 comics are fantastic (hence why I still have a Sniper avatar despite not having seriously played the game since I was in High School) and it’s led to a bizarre situation where Overwatch was released with a bunch of lore and hasn’t moved at all, while TF2 had basically nothing and somehow actually turned into a real story. One that will never be finished, because of course Valve stopped right before the final issue that was meant to wrap things up, but still.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"Mercenaries fight over rocks. Not shiny or useful rocks, literally just gravel" ended up being a real winning premise somehow

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

the weird lore about the horny characters is definitely how Overwatch makes money and keeps players engaged.

I find this hilarious in a comics book thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ninjewtsu posted:

Come on dogg, you're posting in the comics forum and you can't even tell the guy's a scientist gorilla?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there any famous monkeys in comics? It's entirely apes from my recollection.

Fake edit: the Capuchin from Y: the Last Man, I guess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hit monkey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Hit monkey

Well now I feel like an idiot. I was proud for a second for remembering the one in Y.

I think it's still a lot more apes than monkeys.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
edit: nevermind chimps are apes? Maybe? gently caress, man, monkeys

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

That artist is a straight up nazi, of the "paintings of the beatific vision of Hitler variety", so hopefully!

Alright, finally found the relevant post, was in the Fascists in Trad Gaming thread. No really relevant for comics so will hence shut up about it:

moths posted:

MtG artist Harold McNeill is probably best known for Invoke Prejudice:

Yikes, is that the Klan?

But he's also done Lightning Blow:

Which looks a little Sig rune-y, but

Uhh...

:godwinning:

(Huh, hadn't noticed before the Lighting Strike General is called The Arctic Fox...)

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 2, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vandar posted:

Team Fortress 2 has a poo poo-gently caress of lore and story too, but you'd never know it from playing the game.

League's story was way more interesting before they deleted everything and started the lore over from scratch.

Was that when they made Nidalee white cause I logged in for the first time in awhile like a year or two ago and got real mad about it lmao

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

site posted:

lol had that one extremely well made cg kpop music video, thats all i know about it

I'm surprised you haven't heard more about them, actually! I remember a lot of talk in my circle about how the Kpop video, cute as it was, was this kind of hey-look-at-the-shiny distraction move. A couple months before it came out, Riot Games got quite a lot of egg on their faces for being an incredibly toxic place for anyone who wasn't a cishet dude, even by the low standards of the AAA game industry. Recent talk is that leadership is making well-meaning attempts to change, but progress is slow and stuff still sucks.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise, though; Riot has for a long time put a strong emphasis on hiring people who play and love their game, and they've been equally recognized for having one of the (if not, full-stop, the) most toxic communities in gaming. How's that for a superlative?

That's more of a video-game industry discussion, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm surprised you haven't heard more about them, actually!

dont be, i literally could not care less about mobas. the only reason i know about that video is cuz a friend linked it to me