Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

Worse than the actual time he tried to build a whole-room watercooling loop out of copper pipe and ended up turning the whole loop into a radiator?

And it had some strange.... Thing in the reservoir. Possibly a living thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kazinsal posted:

Worse than the actual time he tried to build a whole-room watercooling loop out of copper pipe and ended up turning the whole loop into a radiator?

I gotta admit the idea was so weird to me that I watched the entire thing, so mission accomplished Linus Sebastian.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It sounds entertaining

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
linus is only entertaining on two occasions: the copper pipe room-loop experiment and the day everyone found out he ran all his poo poo on a raid0 with no backups

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I distinctly remember that being even worse, like nested RAID 0 arrays in a RAID 0 array, or am I being unfair to Linus again?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think it was a raid 0 of three raid 5s, with each raid 5 provided by a dedicated raid card and the raid 0 using windows storage spaces. It was also the only storage for the data, no backups. I believe the catastrophe was that one of the raid cards died, which meant total data loss, and he paid some company thousands to recover the data

The best part is, he built this server to replace a literal pile of hard drives in the bathroom. But his data was safer in that pile, because at least then it wasn't subject to a single point of failure

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd like to know the thought process behind that contraption. Must've been something along the lines of "I put some RAID5 in there so I don't need backups and added RAID0 make it faster"

e:typo

eames fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 30, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Probably to get people to talk about it in tech forums

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nah, probably just vast amounts of incompetence

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Weird problem. I was doing a Nvidia (2080ti) driver reinstall (431.68). DDU booted into safe mode and the drivers were removed. Windows 10 booted but while going through the checking for system compatibility stage of the install process Windows switched to native res and 144hz. The driver install then failed, saying that it was incompatible with this version of Windows. 419.67 seems to have installed automatically. I have tried waiting for that automatic install process to finish before manually installing an updated version but neither 425.31 or 431.68 work, same error.

I haven't fully tested 419.67 yet but if all goes well I guess it isn't a problem leaving it installed. Odd behaviour that I haven't seen before and I'll need to update drivers eventually and whatever is happening is stopping me from doing that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

VostokProgram posted:

I think it was a raid 0 of three raid 5s, with each raid 5 provided by a dedicated raid card and the raid 0 using windows storage spaces. It was also the only storage for the data, no backups. I believe the catastrophe was that one of the raid cards died, which meant total data loss, and he paid some company thousands to recover the data
I... What? Why not just RAID 6 the whole pile? Or... IDK. Almost anything send smarter than that.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Linus being incompetent is the entertainment. If he did everything properly it would be so boring, he would just be racking dell servers without opening the case then auto provision over idrac or pxe.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He tries different things so you don't have to, and he's not toxic. In comparison to most of the chucklefucks in YouTube that's pretty good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

He tries different things so you don't have to, and he's not toxic. In comparison to most of the chucklefucks in YouTube that's pretty good.

Somehow makes it worse IMO because you can't bring yourself to hate him (guilt-free) with that in mind. Gotta be honest I like Gamers Nexus but I feel it can be a little try compared to Linus and Jayz

eames
May 9, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

AMD “fine wine” was just AMD writing really lovely drivers back during the 290 days. You don’t see fine wine working with the 480 vs the 1060 to that extent anymore

1440p Wolfenstein: YB

frametimes favor AMD even more

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fuckpot posted:

Weird problem. I was doing a Nvidia (2080ti) driver reinstall (431.68). DDU booted into safe mode and the drivers were removed. Windows 10 booted but while going through the checking for system compatibility stage of the install process Windows switched to native res and 144hz. The driver install then failed, saying that it was incompatible with this version of Windows. 419.67 seems to have installed automatically. I have tried waiting for that automatic install process to finish before manually installing an updated version but neither 425.31 or 431.68 work, same error.

I haven't fully tested 419.67 yet but if all goes well I guess it isn't a problem leaving it installed. Odd behaviour that I haven't seen before and I'll need to update drivers eventually and whatever is happening is stopping me from doing that.

Try the DCH version of the newer driver. Windows might have flipped to that driver install model after the DDU, and you can’t install the standard package drivers overtop once that happens.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

1440p Wolfenstein: YB

frametimes favor AMD even more

I'm not sure doom/wolfenstein has gotten better for AMD though, idTech 6 has pretty much always preferred compute-friendly architectures.

eg if we go back to the 580 launch:

The benchmark has the 580 13% behind the 1070 now, vs 12% behind when the 580 launched.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rabid Snake posted:

AMD “fine wine” was just AMD writing really lovely drivers back during the 290 days. You don’t see fine wine working with the 480 vs the 1060 to that extent anymore

The RX 480 did have a pretty good performance jump from launch but that was mostly one driver update that wasn't too long after launch IIRC.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

EoRaptor posted:

Try the DCH version of the newer driver. Windows might have flipped to that driver install model after the DDU, and you can’t install the standard package drivers overtop once that happens.
Hitman 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider ctd on what I assume is the DCH driver. Had to run DDU and unplug the internet while restarting so the 419 driver didn't install automatically.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have an old gtx 960 and it's really starting to feel limiting in terms of the performance I get out of it, so I'm looking for an upgrade. Now I'm horrible about choosing stuff, which is where you come in, thread.

I'm thinking of getting a gtx 1660, but whether or not I get a 1660 or 1660 ti is up for grabs. I can afford either, but it's €60 price difference which I have to justify to myself. I am leaning towards the TI because it's slightly more powerful and from I read, is slightly more power-efficient.

Which brings me to my bigger question, what's the significance of the brand? I'm thinking of buying an msi 1660 ti because it seems to be the "brand" with the best balance for noise and performance, and is relatively cheap (compared to asus, evga and some of the gigabyte cards). Is this correct?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

double nine posted:

I have an old gtx 960 and it's really starting to feel limiting in terms of the performance I get out of it, so I'm looking for an upgrade. Now I'm horrible about choosing stuff, which is where you come in, thread.

I'm thinking of getting a gtx 1660, but whether or not I get a 1660 or 1660 ti is up for grabs. I can afford either, but it's €60 price difference which I have to justify to myself. I am leaning towards the TI because it's slightly more powerful and from I read, is slightly more power-efficient.

Which brings me to my bigger question, what's the significance of the brand? I'm thinking of buying an msi 1660 ti because it seems to be the "brand" with the best balance for noise and performance, and is relatively cheap (compared to asus, evga and some of the gigabyte cards). Is this correct?

What type of monitor do you have? Either card can do 1080p60hz, but they'll both struggle with anything more.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
On paper the 1660 and 1660 Ti are very close. Unless reviews prove differently I'd get the 1660 non-Ti to save 60 dollars.

Edit: I missed the different memory. There's more of a difference than I initially thought and reviews prove it.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 1, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The difference isn't that big when you take overclocking into account (which is braindead easy on Nvidia cards, you basically should always do it because it takes very little time and no risk). You can easily make an argument for either.

Manufacturer is honestly not that important. What's really relevant is having a good cooler at a decent price.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'm looking at getting a Radeon 5700 XT once the ones with better coolers come out later this month. One other query though - I've got a 5-year old Korean 1440 monitor with only a DVI connector on the back - would this Displayport - DVI-D adaptor work? The other active adaptors I've seen for 1440 seem to cost more so want to make sure it is what I need.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm packing up my old PC parts ready to go on eBay and remembered I had a Radeon 5750 1GB in a box somewhere. Is it worth bundling that with it or is the resale value of a card like that basically nil? I remember this hardware setup got me as far as MGS5 in 2015 so my plan was to sell it on as a cheap office / media / indie gaming machine and hopefully get £50 for it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Party Boat posted:

I'm packing up my old PC parts ready to go on eBay and remembered I had a Radeon 5750 1GB in a box somewhere. Is it worth bundling that with it or is the resale value of a card like that basically nil? I remember this hardware setup got me as far as MGS5 in 2015 so my plan was to sell it on as a cheap office / media / indie gaming machine and hopefully get £50 for it.

There don't seem to be any listings for PCs with a 5750 on ebay, but they seem to sell for ~£10 on their own, so £50 seems a fair price point.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Carpet posted:

I'm looking at getting a Radeon 5700 XT once the ones with better coolers come out later this month. One other query though - I've got a 5-year old Korean 1440 monitor with only a DVI connector on the back - would this Displayport - DVI-D adaptor work? The other active adaptors I've seen for 1440 seem to cost more so want to make sure it is what I need.

Dual Link DVI (two digital DVI signals through one connector, what you need for Korean Monitors) is not the same thing as DVI-D (which just means "DVI without support for an analog signal"). The adapters for DP > Dual Link DVI are not cheap and not everything that claims to be one is. Make sure you do your research on the specific model before buying one.

Honestly if you have the budget, it's a good time to craigslist that monitor while it's still worth something and upgrade to a 1440/144 monitor. I don't think the platform is worth throwing another $100 into at this point, except maybe for keeping it as a secondary monitor in the long run.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 1, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

double nine posted:

Brand determines things like cooling (how much material is used, how big are the fans and how many are there), is the thing slightly overclocked, because "more is better" for most people (I disagree, it's maginal gains anyway), what additional software is included, is there a backplate or RGB, what power-connectors are used, is there a zero-fan mode, does it look good. Unfortunately most reviews do not really give a lot of these infos away, but personally I'd always go for the one with "Zero Fan Mode" and at least two fans. Gigabyte and their "windforce" series is pretty good here. MSI (not always) should be good too, as is ASUS. But I usually end up with Gigabyte.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

craig588 posted:

On paper the 1660 and 1660 Ti are very close. Unless reviews prove differently I'd get the 1660 non-Ti to save 60 dollars.

Edit: I missed the different memory. There's more of a difference than I initially thought and reviews prove it.

It can depend on the game (some games are more sensitive to bandwidth than others) but IME the difference between the 1660 and Ti versions is less than what the bandwidth difference would indicate - but especially when overclocking the memory on the non-Ti.

I moved from a 1660Ti when I had to return it due to a failing fan and just got the regular 1660 as a replacement and I can barely tell the difference with most titles (the 1660 is silent though, unlike the Gigabyte Ti). The thing is you can easily overclock the GDDR5 on the 1660 to 700+ as I have done which really helps as that's a prime bottleneck, you can also do that with the GDDR6 on the Ti but the thing is it's already not a bottleneck at stock speeds so you don't get that much of a boost where it really helps with the 1660. Regional pricing also comes into play, the Ti is a $100 more CAD here than the regular 1660, nowhere near justifies that disparity. If it's only $40-$50 more in your area then it's a little tougher call.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

What type of monitor do you have? Either card can do 1080p60hz, but they'll both struggle with anything more.

Isn't a 1660 roughly as powerful as a 1070? My 1070 is handling roughly 60 fps at 1440p without turning down graphic settings. Depends on the game, of course.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Geemer posted:

Isn't a 1660 roughly as powerful as a 1070? My 1070 is handling roughly 60 fps at 1440p without turning down graphic settings. Depends on the game, of course.

Looking at some online benchmarks a1070 is roughly a 1660 ti, so I may have misspoke.

My excuse is I mostly play fps games so that's what I was thinking of. I have to turn down graphics options even with a 1080 for a steady frame rate at 1440p.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

K8.0 posted:

Dual Link DVI (two digital DVI signals through one connector, what you need for Korean Monitors) is not the same thing as DVI-D (which just means "DVI without support for an analog signal"). The adapters for DP > Dual Link DVI are not cheap and not everything that claims to be one is. Make sure you do your research on the specific model before buying one.

Honestly if you have the budget, it's a good time to craigslist that monitor while it's still worth something and upgrade to a 1440/144 monitor. I don't think the platform is worth throwing another $100 into at this point, except maybe for keeping it as a secondary monitor in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback. It does say it supports up to 4K@30Hz so would think it could do 1440@60? Done a bit more googling as well and actually found a useful Reddit post - looks like they're using this dongle for 1440. Might risk springing for one and testing it with the current GPU.

Will just be getting the new GPU for now, but if I did get a new 144/Freesync/HDR etc monitor would probably keep this one as a secondary one - can't imagine the resale value is that great these days?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The bandwidth claim they're making is essentially saying it's Dual Link, but I don't know. It's not a ton of money, if you want to buy one and see if it works, go ahead. If you happen to discover a cheap adapter that can be confirmed to work on korean monitors, I'm sure a ton of people would love to know.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I bought that cheaper adapter, it is the same as the VisionTek one sold on amazon, and it didnt work for me on my Korean 1440p. Ymmv though. I also tried the DP-DVI adapter that evga bundles with their cards and nothing there either (didn't really expect that one to work).

I switched to the Dell BIZLINK adapter thats $50-70 depending on the day, and it does work with 1440p/60hz, and even a bit beyond 60hz before i get weird frameskip issues.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm thinking the 2070 Super is the card I should have bought instead of buying a 1070 Ti at the tail end of the worst possible time to buy a card.

buglord posted:

Somehow makes it worse IMO because you can't bring yourself to hate him (guilt-free) with that in mind. Gotta be honest I like Gamers Nexus but I feel it can be a little try compared to Linus and Jayz

I like to think of Linus as the 5 Hour Energy of YouTube vids, whereas Gamers Nexus is a nice cup of hot tea.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So I've been rocking a 970 for a (long) while; my monitor's 1080p so I haven't really felt an overwhelming urge to chase the 10/20XX cards yet. If I'm not in any rush to chase 2160/4k, is there a ton of reason for moving up? I'm getting the itch where I feel like I should do it, and it's clearly the oldest thing in my case right now, but with the last generation being so nutty price-wise I've been able to resist so far. Is there an enormous difference at the lower resolutions? Are any of the new cards at just an irresistable price/performance point? I used to always love chasing the last gen and getting stuff in the $200-250 range, but I'll go up to around $400 if there's a good enough reason for it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can still max out what you want to play there's no reason to upgrade. I'm still on a 1080 after buying every 80 series card since the 6800.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It will continue to be a bad time to buy GPUs until Nvidia gets 7nm products out, which I would expect to be 8-9 months from now. If you don't need an upgrade right now, just don't.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

K8.0 posted:

It will continue to be a bad time to buy GPUs. If you don't need an upgrade right now, just don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah I mean the generalized case of that statement is definitely true, but there are also good and bad times to buy. The 970, 980Ti, 1070, 1080Ti launches, or the crypto crashes, assuming you had games to play, those were great times to buy. Right now? Maybe find something else to do with your money for a while.