Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

This is a great comparison, but is there any particular reason you've not looked into 99% isopropyl alcohol? It's plastic safe and strips things in an hour or so.

My nuclear option for metals is dichloromethane (plastic weld). It will remove all the paint present in about 10 mins flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Th-th-they came

I'm having some serious painter paralysis. I want them to be perfect. The Corgi warlock guys. These are very, very good dogs.

E- I'm just realizing something about them that's confusing me. Is French a class in Dungeons & Dragons I wasn't aware of?

w00tmonger posted:

These are the poo poo! Where can I buy them?

Full set is available here: https://store.steamforged.com/products/dungeons-and-doggies-kickstarter-version

Yes I signed up for email notifications for them.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up a 250 Reknown Skirmish Warband for Sigmar. Mostly Wanderers, but I added some Sylvaneth for flavour.

Most of those I've posted the other day when I painted them, but today I added the 6 Elves, 3 Sisters of the Watch (on the left) 3 Shadow Warriors (on the right), and added a couple of light sources to make them seem more magical and to add to the winter theme.

Really happy with how they turned out, for how quick they were to paint up. They'll probably get destroyed when the meet their opponents though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Took the advice and had another go at painting up Battletech minis. I think they came out much better?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Taintrunner posted:

Took the advice and had another go at painting up Battletech minis. I think they came out much better?

Paint the rim of the base black.
Trust me.

Everytime you post you're visibly improving. That's the dream.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Taintrunner posted:

They definitely look better. Some suggestions:

1. See the flash on the leg? Get in the habit of cleaning those off before you paint. It will make the end result look much better.

2. Consider applying a wash to add shading and detail to the models.

3. Always try to be as clean as possible with your brushwork. It takes practice but is the foundation to all other painting.

4. Be proud of yourself!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, binge-watch the WarhammerTV YouTube painting videos. They are excellent for beginners and they will teach you all the relevant techniques. Painting a Battlemech is essentially identical to painting a Space Marine so everything they say goes.

Avoid painting tutorials made by other youtubers until you're comfortable with the basics, they're generally good but very few take the time to properly explain the how and whys which is essential when you're just starting out. From an educational perspective the WarhammerTV ones are really well made and will hold your hand until you're ready to move on.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
A friendly reminder that you can, in fact, do it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Cool poo poo as usual BigA, what’s the armour recipe?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably a long shot but does anyone know of any minis with an at least loosely African-inspired fantasy aesthetic? The only one I know of is Reaper's vaguely Zulu avatar mini, but that's an Elephant-man and I'm hoping I can find some actual humans.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably a long shot but does anyone know of any minis with an at least loosely African-inspired fantasy aesthetic? The only one I know of is Reaper's vaguely Zulu avatar mini, but that's an Elephant-man and I'm hoping I can find some actual humans.

Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago has a Tribals boxset - i'm not sure if thats the kind of thing you're after but hey, maybe it is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Paint the rim of the base black.
Trust me.

Everytime you post you're visibly improving. That's the dream.

Seriously, if you paint the rim of a base black the worst case scenario is that it looks good.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Whats a good way to deal with mold lines on softer plastic minis? The citadel mold line remover works great on hard plastic like citadel and warlord multi part kits but for gloomhaven minis it seems to just make a mess.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Z the IVth posted:

This is a great comparison, but is there any particular reason you've not looked into 99% isopropyl alcohol? It's plastic safe and strips things in an hour or so.

I'd forgotten about isopropyl, honestly. Though, I also can't seem to find anything higher than 90% locally, so that may have contributed to me forgetting about it.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

That's definitely an improvement with the wash added for shading, it always makes details stand out more.

If you want to add more grime or push the shadows even further you can always add a thinned down dark wash like Citadel paints Agrax Earthshade.

If you want some "dust" on your models around the feet where they'd be stomping around you can apply a drybrush of a light sand color.

Also, this is just me, but I wouldn't use static grass at that scale since it tends to make your mechs look human sized.

Grundma posted:

Whats a good way to deal with mold lines on softer plastic minis? The citadel mold line remover works great on hard plastic like citadel and warlord multi part kits but for gloomhaven minis it seems to just make a mess.

If they're anything like Reaper bones minis a medical scalpel blade is pretty much your only option, unfortunately. You could try very carefully and gently shaving away at the lines with the scalpel in a forward position using the sharpest point rather than scraping with the reverse which works on harder plastics.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 2, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Diamond files work sorta okay on Bones material, as long as it's a reasonably solid piece and not something flimsy like a really thin blade. You definitely need a few different file shapes / sizes though, and there are still gonna be a few spots where you'll probably need to get in between some details with an x-acto.

Related, but man Reaper puts their mold lines in some baffling places sometimes. I know they're pretty much doing things as cheaply as humanly possible and that's basically the entire selling point, but once in a while it honestly seems like the placement is less efficient than it would be to just do a regular sandwich mold. Stuff like horizontal mold lines across the front of a mini wearing robes so that you have to spend like an hour scraping at all sorts of different angles.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've had good results using this seam scraper on Bones models. Gets pretty close to the surface and I don't have to use an x-acto nearly as much as I used to.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

Cool poo poo as usual BigA, what’s the armour recipe?

Thanks!

Straight Contrast apothecary white over wraithbone. Was really surprised how well it worked.

The other contrast was the cloak and the yellow on the shoulder. The rest was a combination of contrast and normal paints. I'm just impressed I only had to do a small touch-up on the eyes. Those goddamn things are tiny.

At this point I still don't bother with whites on eyes. In time

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

TheBigAristotle posted:

Straight Contrast apothecary white over wraithbone. Was really surprised how well it worked.

gently caress outta here, really? I've been doing white robes for my Warmaster high elves going Celestra Grey/Nuln Oil/Ulthuan Grey/Ceramite White, and it works, but that just looks so clean with so little effort. I wasn't too keen on dropping the like, $15 per pot, but with results like that I might just have to pull the trigger.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there was some cleanup of grey pooling but not too much, just have some white scar, or in my case, corax :barf: and some grey.

Apothecary seems like one of the easier ones to control. Some of the reds really sink in fast and Iyanden is a labor to keep clean. I had to and still have to clean up pooling on this makeshift Imperial Fists smash captain I'm whipping up

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

richyp posted:

Painted up a 250 Reknown Skirmish Warband for Sigmar. Mostly Wanderers, but I added some Sylvaneth for flavour.

Most of those I've posted the other day when I painted them, but today I added the 6 Elves, 3 Sisters of the Watch (on the left) 3 Shadow Warriors (on the right), and added a couple of light sources to make them seem more magical and to add to the winter theme.

Really happy with how they turned out, for how quick they were to paint up. They'll probably get destroyed when the meet their opponents though.

Can you get the hell out of here with the extremely nice OSL? Good grief.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Late, but I use sanding sticks for Bones cleanup.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Not very fantasy like, but Northstar has their Africa! line, and Copplestone Castings has Darkest Africa. You could spruce them up a bit.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Booley posted:

Painted up a second executioner just in time for the nerf:

And the pair of them (that I still have yet to actually field):

This is incredible. What colour you using for the black?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Miles O'Brian posted:

This is incredible. What colour you using for the black?

Black primer then a heavy airbrush coat of Vallejo model air black grey, leaving just a bit of the black visible. Then a dark brown oil wash.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Richy we need a timelapse of your paint table for one day, no, one week, tia

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I picked up my first light box for my minis off of Amazon, and my current Oath is nearly complete.

The e-web on the left is part of my oath this month, as was the 3rd squad (in the back). The ion cannon trooper and the e-web blaster are all that’s left to do, aside from basing. Does anyone have any suggestions on basing for snow/winter? I want this whole group to be as Hoth-like as possible. It’s General Veers leading it, 4x snowtrooper squads (each with an extra guy, and a flamethrower guy), 2x e-web blasters, and an AT-ST to finish it off. It’s a legal list for Legion too (800/800 points spent), so I can’t wait to crush some rebel scum and look good while doing it :getin:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 3, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, I picked up my first light box for my minis off of Amazon, and my current Oath is nearly complete.

The e-web on the left is part of my oath this month, as was the 3rd squad (in the back). The ion cannon trooper and the e-web blaster are all that’s left to do, aside from basing. Does anyone have any suggestions on basing for snow/winter? I want this whole group to be as Hoth-like as possible. It’s General Veers leading it, 4x snowtrooper squads (each with an extra guy, and a flamethrower guy), 2x e-web blasters, and an AT-ST to finish it off. It’s a legal list for Legion too (800/800 points spent), so I can’t wait to crush some rebel scum and look good while doing it :getin:

Could you get a closeup of one of the hoodi snobois?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

First one. He was my test scheme, and I just ran with it.

e: they had more colors than they had any right to, for a trooper unit.

Zandri dust (boots, backpack)
Pallid Wych flesh (primer)
Celestra grey (body, except for armor and boots)
Mechanicus standard grey (armor)
Abaddon black (weapons/eyes)

And of course, nuln oil to seal it off.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 3, 2019

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Could you get a closeup of one of the hoodi snobois?

Could you contribute a single thing other than a question?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

General Olloth posted:

Could you contribute a single thing other than a question?

Could you tell me about the Palatine Aquila?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
That marine comparison made me wanna compare my stuff, I think the Stormcast might be from may, but the earliest photo I can find of me having finished him was dated as June.

Getting less bad one mini at a time.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Thanks everyone for the tips on dealing with moldlines on soft plastic. I'm ordering that scraper and will give it a try. Of course I was too excited to paint the new class we unlocked so there's a little bit of moldline on these guys but not that bad. Gloomhaven has been fun to paint since Im not committing myself to doing squads of models in the same scheme.

Photos linked since they're spoilers for the two-minis class in Gloomhaven

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Could you tell me about the Palatine Aquila?

I was just wondering, idly, do the Emperor's Children have a different aquila from the rest of the imperium? Do they have solar auxilia allies as well as militia as well as sisters of silence? Could I ally custodes with a baneblade? Just wondering I'll never actually contribute to this hobby but if you could answer all my questions that would be awesome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
X-postin from the Oath thread, my first finished minis for my Tzeentch army!

Mikey Purp posted:

10 blue horrors and 10 brimstone horrors. Here's everyone together (and sorry that I didn't have time for better pics):

And some pics of my favorites:

The blues were done mostly with contrast and some dry brushing while the brims were airbrushed. Contrast is still kind of tricky for me but I do like the results I got.

The basing was my first time using a technique where you use pva and then drop super glue onto it while still wet, The difference in drying times creates the bubbly crater effect. I love how it came out because it conveys movement and otherworldliness, but I will probably do the next units in a different color. I also tried to use a piece of opal reflective contact paper underneath that to make it seem like a portal opening up under their feet, but I don't think I left enough of it showing and the effect gets lost. I also tinted it yellow which I feel was a mistake. Lessons learned for next time, which is fine since I have about 80 more of these to paint.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Mikey Purp posted:

Those look great! How did you do the colour transition (particularly the blue -> purple)?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
thats a cool basing tip. May make some small fire craters like that? I like the idea of energy weapons making weird craters.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mikey Purp posted:

The colors hurt my eyes but in, like, the BEST way. Really well done!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

One shouldn’t be able to look upon a proper demon without feeling a burn in the eyes :colbert:

Dienes posted:

The colors hurt my eyes but in, like, the BEST way. Really well done!

So, essentially this. Those look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

all this is great, but man do I love the color on your base rims. I feel like 40k is Far Cry and this is Far Cry: Blood Dragon