Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Gloating about how much effort other posters put into replies to your shitposts is loving pathetic, dude.

nah. and it was more so the effort at being wrong. but either way nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah. and it was more so the effort at being wrong. but either way nah.

Yeah no, this is about entertainment too, and SMG is a far cry more entertaining than you, not least of all due to effort. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about what you think is 'wrong' about what they write.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Guys, we're discussing substance abuse issues and you're trying to debate the merits of your shitposting?

They should bring back "Old" John Connors, Michael Edwards.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They've already said that they're doing a digital double for John Connor and Furlong is providing the voice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They should get it over with and cast John Cena as John Connor.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

They should get it over with and cast John Cena as John Connor.

It'd be hilarious if Connor was bigger than the T-800. I'd love for a Cena/Arnie "sonuvabitch" handshake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah no, this is about entertainment too, and SMG is a far cry more entertaining than you, not least of all due to effort. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about what you think is 'wrong' about what they write.

not sure what's difficult about "nah".

Timby posted:

They've already said that they're doing a digital double for John Connor and Furlong is providing the voice.

lol that'd own. poor ed was the original jake lloyd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love you Groovelord

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

no more EU bullshit, nerd.

I’m referring to the last lines of the movie Terminator 2.

“The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it for the first time with a sense of hope, because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.”

What is the hope, specifically, to you?

Keep in mind that John Connor’s plan in Genesis is to make humanity immortal via nanomachines. Does your hope differ?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Do got to wonder what the T-800 would've done if Sarah had an unlisted number in the first movie. Would he have gone to city hall and check the records? The DMV?

Oh god, I just remembered Sarah's little scooter. Why wasn't there a chase involving that?

Violator
May 15, 2003

How do we know from the T2 alternate ending that liquid metal dudes are being manufactured in the background?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Violator posted:

How do we know from the T2 alternate ending that liquid metal dudes are being manufactured in the background?

I haven't seen the scene, but my guess is it's because the T1000 still exists in the past. He has to come from somewhere, even if the future has been turned into an utopia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Violator posted:

we don't.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Trailer coming tomorrow, apparently.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Or, uh, today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

well atleast theres gonna be dozens of dead cops

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this score sounds like rear end tho

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think it looks good. It won't knock people on their rear end like 2 did, but that might well be the best sequel ever (might be Godfather II or Aliens, also).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

Do got to wonder what the T-800 would've done if Sarah had an unlisted number in the first movie. Would he have gone to city hall and check the records? The DMV?

Oh god, I just remembered Sarah's little scooter. Why wasn't there a chase involving that?

Originally the Terminator was going to kill every person named Sarah Connor and then cut their leg to see if the tissue matched the description of what little medical records existed because in the future all Skynet could dig up was that her name was Sarah Connor and she had injured her leg at some point. This was when the script was going to focus a little more on Paul Winfield/Lance Henriksen's detectives and have more of a slasher feel to it. Then at the end when she pulls that piece of shrapnel out of her leg was when she actually got the wound in question making it another closed loop thing.

There was another iteration too where she already does has a visible scar at the beginning that's pointed out. Evoking the traditional literary plot device wherein if you show that someone has a scar on their leg in act one you better have them squad a robot in a hydraulic press in act three.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

this score sounds like rear end tho

Now that you mention it, 3/4/5's soundtracks aren't particularly good either imo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that you mention it, 3/4/5's soundtracks aren't particularly good either imo.

3's score is decent-ish (but then again, I have a major soft spot for Marco Beltrami).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiw4WbbJkRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp-6BSGXMvg

But, yeah, I couldn't tell you anything about the scores for Salvation or Genisys (admittedly, I barely remember a thing about either movie).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought that looked ok, but people are HATING on it all over social media.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for seeing Border Patrol fuckheads get merked.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it looks good. It won't knock people on their rear end like 2 did, but that might well be the best sequel ever (might be Godfather II or Aliens, also).

It looks better than the original teasers, but those have soured my feelings about what I just watched. I think they're still showing too much, and a lot of the action still looks boring and unimpactful, but the story and acting might actually be decent. I would've preferred not having the "I'll be back" at the end.

The non-chalant hero trope is so overplayed in a John Wick action world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the trailer does sync up with the supposed plot leak. Chuds are going to like it, those are Mexican cops she's slaughtering, not Americans. And supports the bit of the leak claiming that in this new timeline with the new not-Skynet, the original Terminators were humans voluntarily enhanced with cybernetics to become super-soldiers before not-Skynet went rogue and seized control of them through their implants.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Salvation was so funny... Blair hits on Marcus for a good 20 minutes, and when it comes time to assert the machine's humanity, she says "I looked at him and I saw a man". Yeah you sure did! Cracks me up

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
In the time-travel setup that Terminator uses, as soon as they go back in time, does the current future cease for them or continue on?
In the original terminator Skynet was losing, as soon as it sent he terminator back did that future cease to be? I suppose not if Reese was subsequently sent back, so even if Skynet, that future was already a fuckup for that Skynet either way it turned out?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It depends on the Terminator movie, the first one is a predestination paradox closed loop. All the subsequent ones seem to be that the characters are in an orphaned timeline where the future they are from ceased to exist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mmmmalo posted:

Salvation was so funny... Blair hits on Marcus for a good 20 minutes, and when it comes time to assert the machine's humanity, she says "I looked at him and I saw a man". Yeah you sure did! Cracks me up

McG fought to keep a brief scene of her being topless very briefly while changing/talking to Marcus but it was ultimately nixed to keep it PG-13.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

McG fought to keep a brief scene of her being topless very briefly while changing/talking to Marcus but it was ultimately nixed to keep it PG-13.

God, that was hilarious. They made such a huge deal of the "unrated" cut hitting home video, and literally all that was added was a two-second topless shot of Moon Bloodgood.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It struck me after seeing the latest trailer that the horror aspects of the original movie are completely gone. The T-800 was a robot skeleton encased in a cloned skin bag of rotting meat (cf: flies buzzing around, the "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat" guy complaining about the smell). That adds a new level to the nightmare; not only does this thing pursue you and never, ever tire, but it literally smells like death.

Now, the T-800 is a robot skeleton encased in living, healthy flesh that can age into a grizzled grandpa. The kind of killing machine you'd want as your neighbour.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It depends on the Terminator movie, the first one is a predestination paradox closed loop. All the subsequent ones seem to be that the characters are in an orphaned timeline where the future they are from ceased to exist.

To go a little more in-depth, T2 just says "You can change the future and prevent stuff like the robopocalypse". 3 onwards operate on that weird logic that bad stories like where you can change stuff, but apparently the time-space continuum is an angry god that consciously makes the same stuff happen anyway.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The eventual outrage over the Latino-looking nu-Terminator murdering several dozen CBP gestapo and incidentally freeing a bunch of detained migrants should be some nice advertising once the conservative media machine notices it.

I don't know if it looks good but it looks entertaining. Something I wouldn't mind seeing in IMAX maybe but nothing I have high hopes for.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everything about the movie looks like a very expensive disaster. The Internet is excited about the movie because the studio has been putting Cameron's name front and center, but even by his own admission he merely consulted on the story and he occasionally sent script pages from the Avatar sets when he wasn't happy with something. So it's not like this is his baby.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

God, that was hilarious. They made such a huge deal of the "unrated" cut hitting home video, and literally all that was added was a two-second topless shot of Moon Bloodgood.

I remember it being the vanguard film of a lot of rant articles about how "unrated edition" is always bullshit. I'll never not find it hilarious though that like, of all of the poo poo going on in a Terminator movie that could potentially make it rated R this was the hill you were trying to die on?

:laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vFM7ExvpE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there will never be another good terminator movie and it's weird that there are people not aware of this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new trailer is alot better but I still don't trust the movie to be good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s a better trailer for a movie that still looks incredibly dumb.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cameron ruined Terminator by introducing the T-1000. Ever since then it’s always liquid metal / nano-machine bullshit that looks dumb and overused on these impossibly unreal situations that are just an excuse to burn CGI money while shouting “it’s advanced!”. It’s loving bullshit. Genysis had the ultra bad terminator loving PHASE in pulses through the T-800 as an attack. It was loving ridiculous.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I thought that looked ok, but people are HATING on it all over social media.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for seeing Border Patrol fuckheads get merked.

maybe Skynet's not so bad after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cameron ruined Terminator by introducing the T-1000. Ever since then it’s always liquid metal / nano-machine bullshit that looks dumb and overused on these impossibly unreal situations that are just an excuse to burn CGI money while shouting “it’s advanced!”. It’s loving bullshit. Genysis had the ultra bad terminator loving PHASE in pulses through the T-800 as an attack. It was loving ridiculous.

I think the big issue is that the T-1000 made sense as an evolution of the original robot which was intended as an infiltration unit. The T-1000 is a better infiltration unit. It doesn't have built-in laserbeams or anything, it just can copy thing well and as a side effect can kill effectively with its bare hands-turned-into-knives. (And honestly the T-800 could do that too.) Yet in the case of both of them neither machine was intended to win a battle on their own. Even the T-800 in the original film taking on the police station was more it taking advantage of shock and awe.

Every Terminator since then has been like a combat machine designed to kick rear end and that isn't really the point of Terminators. They're not actually the most effective killing machine Skynet has. They're just the only one it can reliably send back without the military shooting it with a bazooka.