Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Not that we needed that reason but there you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You could probably open thread creation to like fyad or byob and not see much of a dip in thread quality

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Is there a way to make new threads using the app?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Korthal posted:

Is there a way to make new threads using the app?

No, I revealed that I, too, did not read the first post when I asked on the last page. Folks rightfully had some fun at my expense as a result.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyst posted:

You could probably open thread creation to like fyad or byob and not see much of a dip in thread quality

You could also probably have all posts create threads with the content of said posts in those subforums and not see much of a dip in quality.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thread creation is exclusive to the iOS app. Pay up if you wanna be op, op.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

So now I have a reason to complain about how horrible the mobile SA web page is and people can't just tell me "just use Awful you turd"

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

pokeyman posted:

Thread creation is exclusive to the iOS app. Pay up if you wanna be op, op.

Yeah good loving luck.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just log onto the site in chrome if you really gotta take that first steamer of an OP that you'll abandon after three posts.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Just log onto the site in chrome if you really gotta take that first steamer of an OP that you'll abandon after three posts.

If you read my post, you would know that the mobile layout sucks donkeys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Put a new post button but it actually just adds replies to this thread

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wouldn't the awful thing be to just have it log you out?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

armorer posted:

Wouldn't the awful thing be to just have it log you out?

Post goatse and log you out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Beautiful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Honestly if it was just some thread that was only for Awful App OPs I'd probably subscribe and read.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This is a wonderful app and I have no complaints, but I'm wondering if someone's looking at being able to watch embedded YouTube?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You have to have the super premium version where embedding settings is an option in the posts settings. Maybe you should go see if you have the super premium version

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
You guys are mean. :getin:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

vyst posted:

You have to have the super premium version where embedding settings is an option in the posts settings. Maybe you should go see if you have the super premium version

?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know how anyone could stand not having YouTube videos be embedded but I guess Reddit is pretty popular so what do I know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lobok posted:

I don't know how anyone could stand not having YouTube videos be embedded but I guess Reddit is pretty popular so what do I know.
I bet not having them embedded is pretty good if you also don't click on them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Suggestion: it would be cool if there was a button to see your own posts in a thread.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Charles posted:

Suggestion: it would be cool if there was a button to see your own posts in a thread.

I guess you mean without finding one of your posts to hit the 3 dots then "show only your posts"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pik_d posted:

I guess you mean without finding one of your posts to hit the 3 dots then "show only your posts"?

To be fair that's annoying to do even when not in the app.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

Yes, that is what I mean. Finding one of your posts is the problem, if you haven't posted in the thread in a long time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hey friends in the last few days my awful app has has performance issues - laggy scrolling, occasional crashing. Even after a phone restart. Anyone else? Or does my phone (pixel 1) just suck?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Charles posted:

Yes, that is what I mean. Finding one of your posts is the problem, if you haven't posted in the thread in a long time.

There's a solution to that :justpost:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

alnilam posted:

Hey friends in the last few days my awful app has has performance issues - laggy scrolling, occasional crashing. Even after a phone restart. Anyone else? Or does my phone (pixel 1) just suck?

I'm using the pixel 1 and it's been fine for me. Could be another app eating some resources in the background?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

To elaborate, I've had YouTube embedding on the entire time, and I still have to go to YouTube to watch videos on both my phone and tablet.

I have a Pixel 3 and a Fire10-something.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

To elaborate, I've had YouTube embedding on the entire time, and I still have to go to YouTube to watch videos on both my phone and tablet.

I have a Pixel 3 and a Fire10-something.

Do you have this enabled on the web forums?

User Control Panel -> Edit Options

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Daztek posted:

That did it, thanks. :downs:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Daztek posted:

Tanks for this :gifttank:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

I'm having the same problem on a pixel 2

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

tak posted:

I'm having the same problem on a pixel 2

Chiming in on Motorola G6 with this issue. I feel like it's related to the most recent update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Had two random crashes on a Motorola G5+ today, but not before, despite using it like eight hours a day on average, probably. Play store says the app last updated 16 weeks ago, so I'm not expecting it to be related to that.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Looks like it's something to do with avatars, disabling avatars seems to fix it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

But I like avatars :cry:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Charles posted:

You could do what I do and go to the thread in the browser, click the first little "?" you see, and then type in your userid because it's only like six digits and surely you have it memorized by now?

Or :justpost:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

tak posted:

Never mind, it's only this thread that is fixed by disabling avatars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Y'alls with the crazy flashing when you do a post preview, what version of Android are you on? (there's a version number if you go to About Phone in your settings)
also are you adding anything special in your posts, like video or tweet urls that get embedded? does it happen in particular threads or forums?

tak posted:

there haven't been any updates for a while, so if an issue's popped up it's either some bad embedding (cough twitter) or something to do with the site being unresponsive lately. Maybe that's making some app issue surface, I dunno - does disabling avatars really work reliably in this thread? Are there certain pages that work and some that don't? Maybe someone's got a custom title that's doing weird things...

Nth Doctor posted:

I think I've discovered some bugginess in how private messages are handled:
1. Using OLED theme causes messages to render as black on black:

Vs.

Also when backing out of the settings menu to the PM after changing the theme, the sender's message doesn't show at all

I loaded this PM as classic theme, went to settings, changed to OLED and then immediately back to classic before leaving the settings menu

hey thanks for the effort with this, some of the PM stuff is old and needs an overhaul, but I'll add it as an issue