Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I know I've said it before, but RemindMeBot really makes the Star Citizen subreddit more fun.

Edit: Not in the mood to pay my cat tax.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Viscous Soda posted:

Edit: Not in the mood to pay my cat tax.

Got you.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/S0kOo9h.gifv

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

big nipples big life posted:

At maximum range a SAM is not veey effective, if it has to manuever at all it will run out of momentum and fall out of the sky so to be properly fidelitous you should probably buy at least 6 roberts organs to defend your skyrim crater.

CIG is really leaving money on the table here. They should be selling a system of four networked vehicles that you can command your peons to control like the real life Russian S-400.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

CIG is really leaving money on the table here. They should be selling a system of four networked vehicles that you can command your peons to control like the real life Russian S-400.

I mean they have literally sold radar ships, c&c ships, and long range missile ships

it's just that they didn't put any of that in the game

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

6 waves? Are they really struggling to sell them or is it the old artificial scarcity scheme again?

But paying 100 quid to be lied to? You could pay the same to a prostitute who will tell you what a big boy you are if you want lies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Agony Aunt posted:

6 waves? Are they really struggling to sell them or is it the old artificial scarcity scheme again?

But paying 100 quid to be lied to? You could pay the same to a prostitute who will tell you what a big boy you are if you want lies.

its a classic technique to make it look like tickets are going fast no matter how many of them you are selling. Wave 1 tiny, wave 2 slightly larger, and so on and so forth. I'd be 50% of tickets are in wave 6, the 'oh no its almost full!' wave.

colonelwest posted:

There was a thread on spectrum, i think, literally asking for suites of support vehicles for the ballista.

And another one where a guy just wanted a chow wagon because the ballista didn't have any facilities for long term deployment or something.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There was a thread on spectrum, i think, literally asking for suites of support vehicles for the ballista.

And another one where a guy just wanted a chow wagon because the ballista didn't have any facilities for long term deployment or something.

dreams.txt

It might be interested to see one day a developer actually make a game based on players dreams, just to see what pile of unplayable and unfun poo poo it produced.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
How do you know it is time to get in your missile truck? Like, even if it had a gameplay purpose, which it doesn't, you'd have to know there is something to shoot before it gets there. How do you do that?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

PederP posted:

I actually think they would like to develop the virtual world they're promising. It's a far more profitable long-term strategy. Yeah, they can make bank selling pre-order jpegs, but if they could actually create the promised virtual nerdvana they would be printing money. They're simply not capable of creating this unrealized wonder. Partially because they have made wildly unrealistic promises regarding everything from AI to the multitude of features (almost every single ship type and profession has a promised feature-set that would make a complete game in itself), but even more so because of the abysmal architecture and the mountains of technical debt.

So I think the idea that they simply made a cynical decision to abandon actual develop in favor of jpeg peddling, is at once giving them too much credit and attributing them too much malice. They've simply been forced down this path, as the alternative was coming clean, pissing off the fans and thus creating an ELE proper, as the hardcore fans are not at all interested in a mere game. They want a virtual world. But they did make a cynical decision to keep lying about the development progress, to favor hype over compromise and to fundamentally deceive backers about what is achievable.

I don't think it was ever game-oriented, apart from a very brief period during the initial crowdfunding push. CIG leadership very quickly caught on to the immense demand for an escapist virtual world. They also did an amazing job hyping themselves and their talent, design-wise and technical. I am not sure what term describes it best, but they've managed to shift focus from away the actual game to the many layers of hype surrounding it. The people, the studios, the potential, the impossible dream, the David vs Goliath narrative, etc.

In a perverse twist of fate, the very inability to ship a product is what led them to monetize hype. Because that's all they had at their disposal. To their credit they've done a tremendous job of instilling faith in themselves. Perhaps it's because a lot of their customers actually perfectly happy enjoying nothing but dreams and hype - unconsciously aware that any actual product is bound to disappoint, they're drawn to a project that shows a distinct lack of urgency when it comes to delivery and a complete lack of willingness to compromise and reduce scope.

TL;DR - they abandoned delivering an actual game due to inability, not choice.

We differ on our interpretations of the level of choice and awareness, but I agree with your analysis.
I'm on the outside looking in, and felt a shift after the racing game came out: up to that time, they seemed to be building actual game mechanics. I remember their old site with hexagons indicating modules that would come together. That presentation looked like a plan and disappeared. After that, it looked like a stalled project to me. That's what I consider the time of the ELE.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

July has gone and there is no blog .... We have been forsaken ..... Star Citizen ... .. . good?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

How do you know it is time to get in your missile truck? Like, even if it had a gameplay purpose, which it doesn't, you'd have to know there is something to shoot before it gets there. How do you do that?

Like someone said above, this is purely and transparently a prop made to look cool in the pre-arranged scripted battles that Rex and his ilk produces.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I wonder if these guys know Arma 3 exists. I've played some amazing games with people organized into a command structure with supporting units. Hell, some of the most fun I've had in an online game was a mission where I went for over an hour without ever firing my gun.

Even in random public games you'll see people having a blast just flying a helicopter between the spawn points and front lines just to ferry other players.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

dreams.txt

It might be interested to see one day a developer actually make a game based on players dreams, just to see what pile of unplayable and unfun poo poo it produced.

Backers are used to ending up high and dry moreso.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity
2013 - Mantle!

quote:

We are pleased to announce that Star Citizen will include support for AMD’s new Mantle graphics API.

2015 - DirectX 12!

quote:

Adding DX12 support is no small task for such a large and fully featured engine & game, however it's also an extremely high priority for us

2017 - Vulkan!

quote:

this seemed a much more logical rendering API to use as it doesn't force our users to upgrade to Windows 10

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity
2019 - None of the above

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
"We don't want to force our users to upgrade to Windows 10." I'm not sure how to peel back the infinite layers of irony in that statement, since by the time Star Citizen enters its vaunted Tier-0 release Windows 10 will be a distant memory.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

"We don't want to force our users to upgrade to Windows 10." I'm not sure how to peel back the infinite layers of irony in that statement, since by the time Star Citizen enters its vaunted Tier-0 release Windows 10 will be a distant memory.

Eh, I don't think we'll get a Windows 11 or anything, Windows 10 will just morph into "Windows", welcome to OSaaS

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sillybones posted:

Easy. You fill the server with your own people. Half go on the other side. Then they send you a message telling you when they are ready to attack.

That's when you start recording/streaming and try and make it all look like organic gameplay.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_fs1iETvEc

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maybe the ballista exists to justify the existence of the tank.

Or maybe they were looking at their space 4x4s with 4 lovely missiles on them and realized that those couldn't kill anything, ever.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just make sure tennis balls are on the end of the rifles and sex crates behind you.

Not necessarily in that order.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

MedicineHut posted:

Presume this is part of that subscriber program enhancement talked about a few months ago?

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cksfia/august_2949_subscriber_update/

e: Monthly loot boxes!

I just love this scam. I love how they are doubling down on the promotion thing, like it's going to absolve them of any responsibility to deliver the ships.

"Yes, your honor, I know. But in TYOL 2018, we started called them "promotions", so we are not liable for those "promotions" of non-delivered ships. I rest my case :smuggo: "

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sillybones posted:

Usually you're deployed in your missile truck as part of a long-term space occupation strategy by one of the great space powers. You'll live in a barracks nearby- sorry, a space barracks, and you'll sit in the truck in shifts. You'll have your finger on the space button but do not fire under any circumstances without higher authorization- you don't want to be shooting down a space airliner.

Or, alternately: you park it outside landing areas and grief people. It is a grief machine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen: It is a grief machine.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Maybe the ballista exists to justify the existence of the tank.

Or maybe they were looking at their space 4x4s with 4 lovely missiles on them and realized that those couldn't kill anything, ever.

I really think they're just selling SQ42 assets. They make perfect sense as low or reduced-poly ground vehicles to shoot at in there. Like imagine that you're selling a space-carrier sim in this day and age- you probably want to have some ground targets for your player to fly down and shoot. Tanks and ballistic missile platforms can be a fun to drop bombs on or whatever.

But now imagine you're Chris Roberts- you may need the help of anesthetic or a medical lobotomy for this. Those low-detail assets can be sold to players in your other game! All they're going to need is: cockpits, interiors, full-fledged combat mechanics, seven complete re-works, and a total overhaul of your other game to incorporate a bunch of ground combat. Easy peasy! What do you mean they're costing us more than they're making? Charge more for them, then! God, it's like I have to do everything around here! gently caress! Make another loving commercial, the whales will come around! No, don't actually finish any of the mechanics- just get it done!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah I am not paying £100 to go to the QVC thing, on my doorstep though it is, gently caress that sorry goons

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I am not paying £100 to go to the QVC thing, on my doorstep though it is, gently caress that sorry goons

make a kickstarter

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Time to see what they've been up to this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNjqzdajFM

Oh, look at that- it's another corporate landing zone. I get that the one solar system in the game is the "Corporations own all the planets" system, but holy poo poo it is tedious. Three full planets and the only actual detail on any of them is a hub-map with the same four stores over and over. Gun store, ship store, clothing store, parts store. You can get it in cyberpunk flavor or oily mining town but also cyberpunk flavor, and now super upscale rich person cyberpunk flavor!

What's that? We should have other kinds of environments so our game world isn't boring as gently caress? gently caress you! The original design document clearly indicates this system has only corporate worlds, and Chris is sure as gently caress not going to change it now! It is extremely fidelitous that the most corporate-owned system in the game is also the biggest hive of scum and lawlessness!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

make a kickstarter

Set it at five hundred of your English pounds. Make the fifty quid reward a badly rendered *hand drawn* spaceship.

There is the risk you make some serious cash and feel horrible about it, but that's a Goon win.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Yamiks clearly doesn't understand game development hell :grin:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

make a kickstarter

I'll pledge 5 English pounds

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

I'll give you $5 CAD to go

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
brb setting up patreon

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

yeah extremely weird that someone would pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a game and expect it to work after 7 years

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

brb setting up patreon

You´re too upset to set up a patreon. Calm down first.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Meanwhile in the realm of released games and poo poo

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/08/beyond-date-announce/

VR gently caress yeah

2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I will pledge 6400 pesos. 6400 pesos should be enough for everyone.