Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

It's not that it's there, it's that it's ignored. We don't see every department or probably even every department head in any Trek series. We don't know what's going on minute to minute in the computer core or waste extraction or the shuttlebays or any of the science labs, or whatever.

But, if the engine room is on screen, and like, a lot, and no one is fiddling with the warp drive or even looking at it... that's really odd. In every other series there are always a bunch of people loving with the warp core. If those people aren't important to the plot, even the chief engineer, fine, but it's really loving weird to have a ton of scenes in engineering and have the only people in the room be the astromycologist and the geeky ensign.

That's all I'm saying. They should have made it a different room.

Disco doesn’t care about how anything works. Verisimilitude is not a feature of the show. If the ship in TOS is like an age of sail frigate where it’s a powerful but tricky machine that must be constantly worked with as a way of life to keep everyone from getting stranded and dying zillions of miles from anywhere, and the ship in TNG is like a modern aircraft carrier where it’s basically a world unto itself and should be able to deal with anything that can go wrong, the ship in STD is like a magic carpet where you hop on and it goes where you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The lab we see in Discovery is 'Engineering Test Bay Alpha'. It's been described as an 'engineering workspace'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 2, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I picture the warp core in the center and each of these 'bays' extending outwards from it in a circle around the core. So you can have potentially a bunch of them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

I picture the warp core in the center and each of these 'bays' extending outwards from it in a circle around the core. So you can have potentially a bunch of them.

Shame that two seasons later we still have to make wild spectations. At least it's not a brewery I suppose

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda wonder how much of any of the interior sets are physically real. At the very least everything goes through a special effects pass to add extra-bright lights in the background and give everything an extra-shiny texture, and a lot of the layouts remind me of some movies with rooms that were mostly CG. Might make it easier to fool around with all the camera tricks they try to pull.

Or maybe they just put a lot of effort into making real things have a sort of unreal texture. Seems like it'd take a hell of a lot of mopping to keep a set looking like that.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Jesus Christ on a cracker, all I wanna do is possibly check out vids of some Star Trek Vegas Con stuff and YouTube is just inundated with this incel Nerdrotic bullshit. Then there’s this loathsome “Mekka” girl who seems to be half the other videos.

The gently caress.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Whenever engineering's not on screen, all the characters should be asking "Where's engineering?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Episode 8 of Voyager is kind of hilarious. "Hmmm, a weird bio-polymer substance strewn everywhere and a bunch of tightly wrapped bodies on an asteroid in the middle of nowhere... Must be some sort of burial ritual..." THEY'VE BEEN EATEN BY A GIANT SPACE-SPIDER YOU NITWITS. Those bio-polymers are COBWEBS. I'll be happy to be wrong as I haven't finished the episode yet but the fact that they haven't even considered the possibility is amazing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zesty posted:

Where did you get that from? Ziyal and Nerys don't share any parents.

My mind was muddled and saw "Kira Meru dies/Ziyal born" and jumped... to conclusions!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Honestly I don't think that thing's the warp core, I think it's just a tribute.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda wonder how much of any of the interior sets are physically real. At the very least everything goes through a special effects pass to add extra-bright lights in the background and give everything an extra-shiny texture, and a lot of the layouts remind me of some movies with rooms that were mostly CG. Might make it easier to fool around with all the camera tricks they try to pull.

Or maybe they just put a lot of effort into making real things have a sort of unreal texture. Seems like it'd take a hell of a lot of mopping to keep a set looking like that.

They're all physical sets, they don't use greenscreen CG rooms.

There's a thing here about how some of the set changes for season 2 were because of filming issues - https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/27/star-trek-discovery-analysis-a-closer-look-at-new-and-redesigned-uss-discovery-sets-for-season-2/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Seemlar posted:

They're all physical sets, they don't use greenscreen CG rooms.

There's a thing here about how some of the set changes for season 2 were because of filming issues - https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/27/star-trek-discovery-analysis-a-closer-look-at-new-and-redesigned-uss-discovery-sets-for-season-2/

Am I reading that right, the only way to walk onto the bridge was via the ready room in season 1?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Am I reading that right, the only way to walk onto the bridge was via the ready room in season 1?

I assume they mean Ready Room or Turbolift.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Episode 8 of Voyager is kind of hilarious. "Hmmm, a weird bio-polymer substance strewn everywhere and a bunch of tightly wrapped bodies on an asteroid in the middle of nowhere... Must be some sort of burial ritual..." THEY'VE BEEN EATEN BY A GIANT SPACE-SPIDER YOU NITWITS. Those bio-polymers are COBWEBS. I'll be happy to be wrong as I haven't finished the episode yet but the fact that they haven't even considered the possibility is amazing.
Giant space spider would have made that episode way cooler than "oh it turns out there's an afterlife for these people specifically but we're gunna handle the storytelling poorly"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To be fair, in almost any tv show, every time it's a giant spider they always assume it's anything but.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

To be fair, in almost any tv show, every time it's a giant spider they always assume it's anything but.

"What are these, eggs? Huh, strange" *stomps them*

*ignores rattling hissy sound in the background, giant shadows of legs*

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
"We keep finding these strange, spherical rocks in this mine. On an unrelated note, some sort of angry rock monster keeps attacking our miners."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Eee-yup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forgot that TNG Season 1 has a story that is mainly about kidnapping but at the end turns into a ‘fix the Ozone layer’ thing

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wish the TOS scripts had stuck with screens, I've always preferred that to shields.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

drat, they really just left O'Brien with 20 years of prison memories? I was expecting some kind of resolution or the slate to be wiped clean. That was genuinely unsettling.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CptAwesome posted:

drat, they really just left O'Brien with 20 years of prison memories? I was expecting some kind of resolution or the slate to be wiped clean. That was genuinely unsettling.

I don't know if it's part of Star Treks long term vendetta against the Irish, or just Colm Meaney being the best actor on DS9 so he gets all the dramatic poo poo. But either way O'Brien is doomed to suffer.

Of course I'm fairly sure they don't mention the mind prison thing ever again.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

marktheando posted:

I don't know if it's part of Star Treks long term vendetta against the Irish, or just Colm Meaney being the best actor on DS9 so he gets all the dramatic poo poo. But either way O'Brien is doomed to suffer.

The writers thought he was the most relatable character for a lot of viewers. Family man, the only enlisted guy in all of Starfleet, not super high ranking leader type. So all the bad poo poo happens to him because he elicits sympathy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

marktheando posted:

O'Brien, being a kind of blue collar everyman, was thought by the writers to be the character the audience could relate to the most, so once per season they tried to get in an "O'Brien must suffer" episode for that easy pathos.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

The sexual tension between mirror Worf and Garak is almost unbearable. Aggressively bisexual Kira is interesting, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The one that felt hardest to me was the one where everyone on DS9 just kinda hates O'Brien one day. Nothing specific, one day they just can't stand to be around him, as if all the budding comradery of the cast had been an illusion the whole time.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

"Odo broth" lmao

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CptAwesome posted:

Everyone who said DS9 gets really good when Sisko gets the goatee and Worf shows up were right. I'm just about halfway through and I've been really enjoying this. Little Green Men, Our Man Bashir, the Earth two-parter were highlights. I nearly skipped The Visitor based on the Netflix description but it was actually really touching. I totally didn't see the kiss from Dax coming either, 1995 was pretty early for that, I think? It was handled really well anyway. The dominion action is really cool. Odo is a nerd. Sisko is a complete drama queen. Rom is cute.
What's great is that DS9 doesn't just become the Worf Show as soon as he shows up. IIRC he's barely even in a few episodes in the first half of season 4. He gets integrated into the cast pretty naturally and becomes a great part of the show.

Now if Worf had been an attractive female and the show had a terminally boring main cast and lots of TV network executive eyes on it... things might have worked out differently! :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Minidust posted:

What's great is that DS9 doesn't just become the Worf Show as soon as he shows up. IIRC he's barely even in a few episodes in the first half of season 4. He gets integrated into the cast pretty naturally and becomes a great part of the show.

Now if Worf had been an attractive female and the show had a terminally boring main cast and lots of TV network executive eyes on it... things might have worked out differently! :v:

But enough about the Duras sisters :swoon:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mirror Kira: Hey guard I could think of some fun things we could do if you came in my cell...

Guard: You killed my wife!

Mirror Kira: So you're single! ;-*

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lol is that real? I don't remember mirror episodes too well, for obvious reasons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol is that real? I don't remember mirror episodes too well, for obvious reasons.

It's ok my brain gets overwhelmed by awesome stuff sometimes too

I dunno if the exact line is real but it 100% fits with Mirror Kira

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would like not be surprised to learn the character was originally named Micky O'Brien, had the last Rosary left in the Federation, had a no good brother and/or cousin named Patrick or Sean, and was scripted to exclaim "Jesus, Joseph, and Mary," only to be scolded for his backwards cultural ways.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Picard getting a prequel novel and comic (novel will be about the supporting cast, comic will likely be The Evacuation of Romulus)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-picard-is-getting-its-own-prequel-novel-and-1836910678

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

OBrien is from the Up The Long Ladder planet. He knocked out a guard and stole his uniform and then learned how to use the transporter to beam him down to the no sex society genetic engineered society.

He just got lucky and didn't get caught because the guard decided he liked it there.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Sash! posted:

I would like not be surprised to learn the character was originally named Micky O'Brien, had the last Rosary left in the Federation, had a no good brother and/or cousin named Patrick or Sean, and was scripted to exclaim "Jesus, Joseph, and Mary," only to be scolded for his backwards cultural ways.

Well, there's that episode where he infiltrates the Mob Orion Syndicate.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/johnnemann/status/1157075060672217088

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
DS9 is the homo trek

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

DS9 is the homo trek

I have to believe that Riker's sexual philosophy is almost identical, but less eloquently described

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tos: golden age sci fi
TNg: 90s Marriott hotel sci fi
DS9: :gay:
Voyager: like a badly run small business sci fi
Enterprise: :dong: