Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Isn't Ao no Flag one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

I think this describes most isekai, to the point where I actually have trouble thinking of many where the protagonist actually becomes a badass hero.

Congrats on avoiding all the power fantasy isekai. There’s more of them than chill isekai.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Isn't Ao no Flag one as well.

is that about gender presentation at some point i always stall out after the guy gets hospitalized

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

is that about gender presentation at some point i always stall out after the guy gets hospitalized

it's not really about gender last i read but there are some p. good chapters about characters other than the main couple working through their own stuff. honestly it's almost kind of funny because basically all of the best chapters focus on characters who, aren't really the main couple, they work better as a backdrop for the personal tension felt by the gay dude and gay chick more than as their own characters driving the story

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

basically all of the best chapters focus on characters who, aren't really the main couple, they work better as a backdrop for the personal tension felt by the gay dude and gay chick more than as their own characters driving the story

grats on describing every one of these comics with gay side characters

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

oh i thought we were just talking about general lgbt stuff since that is what the one poster said

The Colonel posted:

it's not really about gender last i read but there are some p. good chapters about characters other than the main couple working through their own stuff. honestly it's almost kind of funny because basically all of the best chapters focus on characters who, aren't really the main couple, they work better as a backdrop for the personal tension felt by the gay dude and gay chick more than as their own characters driving the story

Yeah the thing that is like driving the manga at this point is all that because one of them got outed recently

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i assume whatever nonco's comic that runs in a shonen mag is is super woke about lgbts since she drew the busty american ship tearing off the french one's bikini on the cover of this book I bought

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Allarion posted:

Congrats on avoiding all the power fantasy isekai. There’s more of them than chill isekai.

Many/most of the power fantasy ones don't involve them becoming heroes in the typical sense, though. Like, the Slime one and Spider one are both power fantasies but without the "hero/adventure" angle. Same goes for stuff like that Death March one. It's very common for these stories to involve an extremely powerful protagonist who just uses their power to live a stress-free life where everyone loves them and conflicts are easily resolved.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm super outta the loop when it comes to the year's anime, I've watched Sarazanmai which I quite liked and nothing else. What were the standouts in you guys' opinions? It feels like last year had more hyped poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I'm super outta the loop when it comes to the year's anime, I've watched Sarazanmai which I quite liked and nothing else. What were the standouts in you guys' opinions? It feels like last year had more hyped poo poo.

Love is War is amazing and you should watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dias posted:

Love is War
Kimetsu no Yaiba / Blade of Demon Destruction
Fruits Basket

Promised Neverland and Vinland Saga have good source material, but I'm less impressed with them stylistically than the above.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hitoribocchi was a good SoL show about a socially awkward girl.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

For the time being I think the only thing that's a contender above Sarazanmai for me is Mix, and I'm proud to be one of the dozen people outside Japan that's watching it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hunt11 posted:

Love is War is amazing and you should watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Love is War
Kimetsu no Yaiba / Blade of Demon Destruction
Fruits Basket

Promised Neverland and Vinland Saga have good source material, but I'm less impressed with them stylistically than the above.

Love is War is the one about the girl and the dude that like each other but don't wanna tell each other they like each other, right? I assume it's a romcom then? I'm up for classroom shenanigans.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is one I checked some chapters out a while ago, is the anime a better experience or is it just, well, animated?

Srice posted:

For the time being I think the only thing that's a contender above Sarazanmai for me is Mix, and I'm proud to be one of the dozen people outside Japan that's watching it.

What is a Mix?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Love is war is two huge dorks in love who have too much pride to confess to each other so create elaborate machiavellian schemes to trick each other into confessing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dias posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba is one I checked some chapters out a while ago, is the anime a better experience or is it just, well, animated?

I like the story well enough but it looks really good in motion.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Love is War is the one about the girl and the dude that like each other but don't wanna tell each other they like each other, right? I assume it's a romcom then? I'm up for classroom shenanigans.

It's an adorable show about Tsun on Tsun combat that is well worth a watch before getting started on the manga.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hey all, what are some highly popular or influential or critically acclaimed anime that are also short?

I just watched the Netflix release of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the reason why I was willing to actually pull the trigger and watch the show was just because I saw that it only had 26 episodes plus a movie and that, realistically, I could knock the whole thing out in a couple of weeks. That's pretty immensely satisfying.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 29, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Paranoia Agent is of similar quality and only 13 episodes.

Also EVA was pseudo remade into 3 pretty good movies and a fourth sequel that will never be made.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

surf rock posted:

Hey all, what are some highly popular or influential or critically acclaimed anime that are also short?

I just watched the Netflix release of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the reason why I was willing to actually pull the trigger and watch the show was just because I saw that it only had 26 episodes plus a movie and that, realistically, I could knock the whole thing out in a couple of weeks. That's pretty immensely satisfying.

go pick literally anything by Satoshi Kon or Masaaki Yuasa

Kon mostly did movies with one or two anime (mostly in the 13 episode range) and Yuasa is the same but in reverse proportions. both are brilliant visual directors and while their work sometimes has heavy or sexual themes it doesn't have that greasy feel to it that lovely anime does.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Terrible Opinions posted:

Paranoia Agent is of similar quality and only 13 episodes.

Also EVA was pseudo remade into 3 pretty good movies and a fourth sequel that will never be made.

The remakes are really different though. IDK if I'm into them; everything is just baffling by the time you get towards the never released 4th movie. Something to keep in mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The 4th movie is in active development now, Shin Godzilla just sidetracked it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks all for the initial recommendations; I'll just clarify really quick that I'm not specifically asking for things that are similar to NGE. I just used that as an example of popular/influential/acclaimed show that happened to be short, so I watched it. I'm not against recommendations that are similar to NGE, but I'm open to trying pretty much anything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

The remakes are really different though. IDK if I'm into them; everything is just baffling by the time you get towards the never released 4th movie. Something to keep in mind.
What do you mean? The specific plot elements might be different but the overall through-line and theme are all the same.

edit: Memories is also very short at three episodes but each episode is more or less it's own self contained short story.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 29, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

surf rock posted:

Tatami Galaxy
Mushishi
Nichijou
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

surf rock posted:

martian successor nadesico
samurai champloo
space dandy
madoka
macross plus

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

surf rock posted:

Ping Pong is the best sports movie made in the last decade or more and it's 11 episodes long.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

surf rock posted:

I forgot one that's very important

Pingu in the City

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surf rock posted:

A Place Further Than the Universe is pretty recent but was super critically acclaimed and is only 13 episodes. It's also good.

Kino no Tabi 2003 is very well loved and is only 26 episodes.

Tiger and Bunny is 26 episodes (and a movie, bbut the movie was more buildup for a second season that still hasn't come yet than any kind of conclusion, though I liked it well enough.) and was extremely popular in Japan, and had some impact on female-targeted anime. It's also got a pretty western accessible premise, since it's about superheroes, even if the outfits are a bit more power rangers/kamen rider than western style superheroes.

Hyouka's 26 episodes, it wasn't crazy popular but people tend to like it a lot and it got lots of praise from within the anime industry too.

And of course, the highly popular and influential anime, Girls und Panzer, is only 12 episodes and a movie.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

A Place Further Than the Universe is pretty recent but was super critically acclaimed and is only 13 episodes. It's also good.

Tiger and Bunny is 26 episodes (and a movie, bbut the movie was more buildup for a second season that still hasn't come yet than any kind of conclusion, though I liked it well enough.) and was extremely popular in Japan, and had some impact on female-targeted anime. It's also got a pretty western accessible premise, since it's about superheroes, even if the outfits are a bit more power rangers/kamen rider than western style superheroes.

Hyouka's 26 episodes, it wasn't crazy popular but people tend to like it a lot and it got lots of praise from within the anime industry too.

And of course, the highly popular and influential anime, Girls und Panzer, is only 12 episodes and a movie.

Gonna second Hyouka, it's some of Kyoani's best work.

My own little suggestion is Shirobako which I like the most out of PAWork's catalogue.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

13* :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i could have sworn it was 26, its been like six years sicne i watched it lol

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There aren't that many series that are over 26, and even that long is rare these days. And most of those long series are going to be shonen battle stuff, which probably isn't what he's looking for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

What is a Mix?

Baseball anime from the guy behind Touch and Cross Game, tho considering how it's more about character dynamics and the occasional drama more than playing baseball I'd still recommend it to anyone even if they don't care for baseball or sports in general. Something that always stands out to me when hitting up an Adachi work is that he frequently tackles sibling relationships in a way that I rarely see in anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Folks that have watched Given, would you recommend for someone who's never watched/read BL? I didn't think I was into yuri until I watched Bloom Into You, so I'm willing to give BL a shot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: are you asking about Given or other recs?

Watch Given if you aren't already, there are just 4 eps right now so you can see how you feel about it pretty quickly.

If you want other recommendations it would help to know what you might like to read about, BL is a pretty broad genre so it helps to start with something to narrow the scope; for instance do you like high school romance or want to read about older folks, college age? mid 20s? older? Do you like some angst or want to read sweet and fluffy stories? Oneshots or longer works? Real world stuff or some fantasy setting? Any content you absolutely hate? (like age gaps for example)

e: oh yeah how do you prefer to read/watch i.e. are you ok w/unlicensed stuff or do you prefer the legal route since that's gonna limit your options and probably require you to spend some money :v:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 2, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

e: are you asking about Given or other recs?

Watch Given if you aren't already, there are just 4 eps right now so you can see how you feel about it pretty quickly.

If you want other recommendations it would help to know what you might like to read about, BL is a pretty broad genre so it helps to start with something to narrow the scope; for instance do you like high school romance or want to read about older folks, college age? mid 20s? older? Do you like some angst or want to read sweet and fluffy stories? Oneshots or longer works? Real world stuff or some fantasy setting? Any content you absolutely hate? (like age gaps for example)

e: oh yeah how do you prefer to read/watch i.e. are you ok w/unlicensed stuff or do you prefer the legal route since that's gonna limit your options and probably require you to spend some money :v:

I mostly meant Given itself, but I don't mind other reccs. I read a bunch of stuff in other genres so I don't mind a mix, but let's say uhhhh mid-20s or so. Unlicensed stuff is fine.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hm ok let's see

I Hear the Sunspot
This is licensed (and I recommend buying it if you like it) but you can find scans to read a bit and see if you like it first. It's a college setting with one guy who has hearing impairment and another guy who makes friends with him; it goes into how people with disabilities are treated, career-path troubles, and the relationship itself is a slow burn friends-to-lovers situation. Content-wise very mild, nothing explicit.

Honto Yajuu
A cop at a local police station meets and is confessed to by a gangster, hijinks ensue :3:
This one does get a little more racy as it goes on but it's also a very sweet romance between a couple of guys from very different worlds and goes into the various conflicts that creates while still being at heart a rom-com. If you like this one but feel like it's too long, check out some of the other stuff by this author I would freely recommend anything she's written.

Tsumasaki ni Kourozu
This is a compilation of one-shots with gorgeous art. Something like this might give you a better idea of what sorts of stories you might be interested in. IIRC these are all fairly mild in content but for one-shots are well developed, this author does a lot of shorter works so she's pretty good at giving you a complete story in a limited number of pages.

Heart no Kakurega
This author's works are kind of BL classics so I just picked one that I like out of them, feel free to check out her other stuff too -- I'm reading the kabuki one right now and it's really great, and Candy Color Paradox is currently being released in English and is also quite fun. This one centers around the residents of a run-down apartment complex and their landlord, it's a light-hearted romcom with endearing characters who start out as strangers but are close as family by the end :3:

Eigyou Nika!
Couldn't leave you without a salaryman romance :) The leads of this one are a gay salesman and his ostensibly straight boss who has been sending mixed signals. Content level: they gently caress lol

If you want something with more drama or a little edgier I can pull some of those up, I tried to stick to things that didn't get too dark or dramatic but also my favorites tend toward fluff. Also you might browse through what I've recommended in the past for folks in the shoujo thread, this post is the most recent one and also includes links back to previous BL recommendation posts I've made and all are sort of themed around specific concepts.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I mostly meant Given itself, but I don't mind other reccs. I read a bunch of stuff in other genres so I don't mind a mix, but let's say uhhhh mid-20s or so. Unlicensed stuff is fine.

read Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What anime/manga do really fascinating/bizarre world building really well? I'm thinking of something in the vein of dorohedoro