Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

I do get annoyed seeing the tiny tiles of shame but I wonder how you can prevent it on wall tiles when one wall in the room is longer than the other and not by an easily divisible fraction? Do you just space em out a little more so it adds up?

You usually arrange it so those fractional tiles go in the least conspicuous place possible. Not, for example, right smack in the middle of a row of tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah that sort of thing is really easy to avoid even if you've never had to wrap your head around tiling-type work before, usually happens when someone does little planning and even less measuring -and- decides to start laying bricks from multiple points simultaneously/working haphazardly, so they don't realize they'll need lovely ugly gapfilling bricks until they've literally walled themselves- er, tiled themselves- into a figurative corner, and its too late to think about the workflow you need to locate those oddball cut bricks in an unobtrusive place next to a wall or similar

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
See with the octagonal pool from earlier I'd be tempted to speak to a tile manufacturer and see if I could get them cut to a size that'd work out of the box, accounting for the grouting space in between. After all, if you don't then you have shame tiles on each of the sideways faces.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
About 15 years ago, when I was preparing to redo our kitchen floor, my wife got pretty upset because I spent three or four days (not all day) just staring at the old floor with chalk lines all over it. Managed to do the room (including an existing peninsula) without having a single tile ending up at less than half width.

One of my greatest trivial accomplishments.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

When I did tile planks, I always tried to make the next plank end up on weird objects like a doorway so i wouldn't have to do annoying U-shaped cuts and instead got to do two less annoying L-shaped cuts.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I can't remember...was the dude that put a sunken hot tub in his living room posted already?

https://imgur.com/a/KplgT

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

B-Nasty posted:

I can't remember...was the dude that put a sunken hot tub in his living room posted already?

https://imgur.com/a/KplgT

This is actually pretty awesome in a frat boy don't care about the house because it's Daddy's Money sort of way.

This guy had a dream and he did it, it honestly doesn't look that bad.

Hope that hot tub is exactly the right height to sit square on the concrete foundation and isn't being held up by the frame

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Volmarias posted:

Hope that hot tub is exactly the right height to sit square on the concrete foundation and isn't being held up by the frame

Only if it's 4 feet deep.

This one's captioned "Hangers and supports":

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 2, 2019

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

peanut posted:

roflmao

rooflmao

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Likelihood of someone hitting their head on these crossbeams: 100%

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Rustic charm" "Vintage barnwood beams"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Youth Decay posted:

Likelihood of someone hitting their head on these crossbeams: 100%

These don't even look like they're doing any work.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I see bEatmstrJ is now renovating his living room.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Azza Bamboo posted:

These don't even look like they're doing any work.

Maybe before they turned this from a factory into apartments those trestle-ish supports half buried in the drywall were supporting the ceiling/roof and the cross beams were keeping them from twisting. There's probably more joinery that's covered up by that drywall.

Either way they shouldn't be needed anymore and I think the exposed joists, brick wall, and giant bolts in all the beams would be more than enough '19th century industrial chic'.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
bEamtestrJ

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

To anybody that wants to sleep in a room with ugly structural beams and exposed joists, they can rent out my unfinished basement. Just put your bed between those lally columns and watch out for daddy long-legs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GotLag posted:

bEamtestrJ

thong socks lmao

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

To anybody that wants to sleep in a room with ugly structural beams and exposed joists, they can rent out my unfinished basement. Just put your bed between those lally columns and watch out for daddy long-legs.

From a local "handyman" special listing. It's on peninsula at a private lake, just a shame it's the pseudo log cabin from hell. The wiring seems like they were going to drywall it all, but never made it? I'm not sure what's going on.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I get too many Josef Fritzl vibes from that basement.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

That carpeting is gonna smell like straight up mildew in less than a week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what do you mean, "like"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is that door even attached?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is that door even attached?

It's an optical illusion, it's actually attached to the pillar in the center foreground.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I missed the shower head at first glance, wtf man.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Burt Sexual posted:

That's what happened to me. My eyes started at the top, and I didn't realize what I was looking at until I got to the spigot. I basically did a vertical double take.

What the loving gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Zipperelli. posted:

That carpeting is gonna smell like straight up mildew in less than a week.

Permanent piss towels nailed to the floor.............
At least I see what appears to be a shower curtain rod up there.

xergm posted:

I see bEatmstrJ is now renovating his living room.

Gotta get them :females:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Russia?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Burt Sexual posted:

Don't forget the baseboard heater too. That + the carpet are like the perfect incubator for mold.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm choosing to believe the tub is exactly as grungy as it looks and not an optical illusion caused by the lovely image quality.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I wonder if the room is a bedroom with a shower/tub, or is it a bathroom with carpet & a four-poster tub/shower?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Phanatic posted:

The inside's not bad but if you want a house that looks like as a friend put it "an iceberg hosed a googie church," look no further:

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Pinckney/3881-Hooker-Rd-48169/home/102501217

If I saw that a month ago I probably would have asked my agent to take me through it, but it probably didn't come up in my search because only 3 bed 2 bath.

Suspect Bucket posted:

At least he's not like the last boyfriend who went 4g in debt at a strip club sheeeeeeeeesh
Story please? Like, did he just ask for money so he could give the strippers money?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume it's just as boring as a dude with no will power pulling way too much cash advance from his cards at a strip club atm, but I also enjoy the idea of a strip club that has a financing office in the back where they offer instant loans with insane conditions to patrons to pay dancers.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

:wink: "Come on back to the VIP room stud, and bring that sexy W-2 of yours."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ashcans posted:

I assume it's just as boring as a dude with no will power pulling way too much cash advance from his cards at a strip club atm, but I also enjoy the idea of a strip club that has a financing office in the back where they offer instant loans with insane conditions to patrons to pay dancers.

Oh gently caress, you've just invented the newest thing.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Ashcans posted:

insane conditions

No touching? The banks have gone too far

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I am hoping this is true

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

Even the boring cash advance is hilarious. Swipe your card and get a currency only valid in this club, for each Shotgun Dollar it costs $1.80

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mr.Radar posted:

Don't forget the baseboard heater too. That + the carpet are like the perfect incubator for mold.

Even better: it's 220V electric!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My mother spent some time teaching a "basic skills" course to junior enlisted. When they'd get to the lesson on calculating interest on loans there would always be a swath of the class frowning angrily at their paper. And that's the soldiers self aware enough to sign up for a class.

Yeah, my good friend was a major or colonel or something in the Army right before he retired, and one of his jobs was to teach the junior enlisteds not to fall for the fancy car/truck scams of the dealers just off base. And also help them get out of those loans, to the extent possible.