Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYp_VXfFoyA

They released some video of a larger battle, it looks good. Especially pilots getting blasted out of their ships and shooting their foe with rocket launchers :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

No iff, I'm already having flashbacks of playing rust with friends. Cant wait for the great calls outs like "he's by the rock", "I see one", and "Hes right there! Why cant you see him? Are you loving blind?!"

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
And many more like

"He's 1 hit!"
"I killed like 5 of them hurry and get that last guy"
"He's by that space debris like to the north somewhere"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYp_VXfFoyA

They released some video of a larger battle, it looks good. Especially pilots getting blasted out of their ships and shooting their foe with rocket launchers :3

This looks good.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

"Is this you? Jump check..." proceed to get railed by the guy cause he was not your buddy.

What's the starbase equivalent of jump check gonna be? rear end wiggle? Barrel roll?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Can't wait to make electronic countermeasures that just crashes the server, can't ever die if you can't log in.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

Can't wait to make electronic countermeasures that just crashes the server, can't ever die if you can't log in.

"servers" are more like p2p zones, so at worst you'd probably just be crashing a few people, and then something would have to come in and nuke/pave the zone.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Sick video. Reminds me of Empyrion, by which I mean some goon smarter than me will break the meta day 1 by building a giant flying dick that can just crash through anything or a huge brick that is practically impervious to gunfire or god knows what else you degenerates can dream up

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Raioner posted:

"Is this you? Jump check..." proceed to get railed by the guy cause he was not your buddy.

What's the starbase equivalent of jump check gonna be? rear end wiggle? Barrel roll?

Honestly? Color coordination or style designs like having checker patterns or stripes on specific parts of the ship. Would also help to have some form of standardization of designs or parts for ships to create more uniform and recognizable profiles. Course all this is up in the air probably subject to change until we get our hands on game. :shrug:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
like honestly just put in a basic hud with fof elements, games like DayZ have a (bad) excuse but a spacesim in the future? nah literally highlight friendlies with a thin green line, unknowns with a yellow, and hostiles (piloted by members of the opposing factions/guilds) as red.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's the problem I have with voxels: Everquest Landmark.
What was the deal with that, anyways? SOE just bad?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

There's a reason :soe: exists and as a massive Planetside fan I acknowledge this

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jackard posted:

That, and Sony sold SOE to a Russian money laundry company called Daybreak Studios. :v:

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I, for one, can't wait for this to be an absolute mess.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jackard posted:

It was worse than just SOE bad. The developers had no idea how voxels actually worked. They put tools in for us to use and some of them either did nothing or didn't do what was expected half the time. The hardcore players found out how voxels actually worked, then put together this archaic tome of forbidden knowledge, allowing the developers to stop iterating on the tools and told the community to use that cursed document instead.

I wish I had saved some of the creations SOE/Daybreak promoted. The lumpy bee the size of a car still stands out in my mind (it was not supposed to be a bee).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Boltcrackers Episode 4 'Ship Sabotage

Should change the name to, ship trolling.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Back Hack posted:

yay :)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dev answering question in Discord mentioned they'll be safe zonse and insurance system similar to Eve Online, as well station vaults for keeping material and items safe and semi-secure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Back Hack posted:

look cool as hell

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Back Hack posted:

Dev answering question in Discord mentioned they'll be safe zonse and insurance system similar to Eve Online, as well station vaults for keeping material and items safe and semi-secure.

Good. Give the pubbies somewhere to construct their loot pinatas. :getin:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I really have to empathize, that he used the wording "semi-secure" and not "secure" probably for a very good reason. :circlefap:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Back Hack posted:

I really have to empathize, that he used the wording "semi-secure" and not "secure" probably for a very good reason. :circlefap:

Concerned they included 'safe' and not 'semi-safe' though.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Their "best" idea still is the moon they banish all the "trolls griefers and nazis" too so they're still allowed to play, just with each other, and it'll be the COMMUNITY that polices them.

Oh my sweet summer children. I love all the design/gameplay aspects so far, but it's very clear to me they're going to have to learn how to manage a community in a full loot MMO PVP game, which generates vitriol like no other. CCP is just smart enough to consider it part of the gameplay experience.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
see u on the dark side of the moon :getin:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Tools Feature Video

E: There better be a way to password protect a ship somehow, because I think they're underestimating how antagonistic and disruptive the average player is going to be. I can already see automatic copy & paste macros drive-by being a thing if there isn't.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 5, 2019

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Starbase - Tools Feature Video

E: There better be a way to password protect a ship somehow, because I think they're underestimating how antagonistic and disruptive the average player is going to be. I can already see automatic copy & paste macros drive-by being a thing if there isn't.

It looks like you need to at least be able to touch a ship to change those controls. I'm more worried about the fact that it looks like there is 100's of individual controls that can be implemented per ship.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Honestly, the more I watch these videos, the more I'm realising that building a ship is going to be more like a month of building, testing and debugging

I might as well be doing my actual job

Guess they really are trying to go for the eve vibe of space jobs

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
there will be like a couple dozen people who design ships and everyone else will build from blueprints

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

there will be like a couple dozen people who design ships and everyone else will build from blueprints

This in a nutshell. I’ll probably be one of those rear end in a top hat designing things, I always enjoy making a better mouse trap death trap a perfectly functioning vehicle.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 6, 2019

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ya it seems like it'll be eve wherein having something like a titan blueprint would be absurdly valuable, except in this case you don't have to do some stupid faction grinding bullshit, you just design it.

also cool because you can design ships without actually using any resources, you can do it all with the blueprint mode... obv you need to actually build it to try it out, refine, etc.

good poo poo, can't wait. so bored.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

As long as we have sufficient people in our own org doing this, it should be fine. Knowing goons, we just might.

I rather have a few standard designs people iterate on anyway for purposes of uniformity in PVP.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

As long as we have sufficient people in our own org doing this, it should be fine. Knowing goons, we just might.

I rather have a few standard designs people iterate on anyway for purposes of uniformity in PVP.

If all our fleet op ships aren’t uniformly dong and goatse themed then SA is dead to me.

I will work on the stealth bomber dong.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I can see some people creating hulls and others trying to rework the internals for different reasons.

I know I'm gonna do a bunch of scripting. I will probably share all of may code with goons so that we have some good library of tools.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I always liked building small efficient bases/ships so I'll probably do the same in this

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I already have an idea for a type of standardization for a self-powered, modular, parasite (aka, something that attaches to the outer hull) transportable cargo trailer, based on what I've seen so far for all the trailers. I especially have some nifty ideas if the actuators, rails, and rotors work that way I think they do (which they probably won't).

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
All these posts make me happy to see so many people way more creative than I am hanging out!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Building big ships is dumb, build small ships with tractor beams in the front and a bunch of mining lasers and attach to pubby ships and fill them with deadly goon pirates.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The best part of these games might be finding new ways to gently caress over your enemies

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

Building big ships is dumb, build small ships with tractor beams in the front and a bunch of mining lasers and attach to pubby ships and fill them with deadly goon pirates.

lol we need to make a fleet that voltrons together to make a deathanus

that way when one portion of the anus gets blown off, another person can come in and replace it

like a 4 slice anus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

soy posted:

lol we need to make a fleet that voltrons together to make a deathanus

that way when one portion of the anus gets blown off, another person can come in and replace it

like a 4 slice anus

in most places that would be called a circle but i'll allow it :wooper: