Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

Holy poo poo, this guy is still looking for validation from everywhere on the internet, and he still doesn't get it

The loving dad from reddit who won't put a lock on his daughter's bedroom door and now he's asking slate

I'm really curious "what she's really asking for" by wanting a lock on her bedroom door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

AITA for refusing to take my wife's grandmother to an appointment?

I'm 2nd generation Jamaican, my parents moved to the US just before I was born, so I grew up here. My wife and her family are all white. There have never been any issues with any of her family except her nana. Nana is a massive racist, hates my guts and always has. In recent years she's started to go a bit senile and has become even more vocal and aggressive towards me.

Note:she's still fairly capable, doesn't have full blown dementia etc but she's definitely not quite as aware as she used to be, however I'm almost certain she is more aware than she often acts and uses it as an excuse act however she wants.

Nana has fairly regular appointments she goes to for various health things and in the past I've been the one to take her as I work from home and am often the only one available in the day. I hate it but my wife said it meant a lot to her etc so I sucked it up and got it over with.

But as I said nana has been getting more and more aggressive towards me, yelling slurs at me, acting repulsed if I touch her etc. Things came to a head last time I took her to an appointment. The Dr called her in, I tried to help her out of her seat and she screamed at me saying I was trying to steal her purse. Thankfully the Dr knew me and defused the situation. I was left in the waiting room with everyone throwing me disgusted, murderous looks.

When I got home I told my wife that I was done taking nana anywhere. This was a step too far IMO. She sympathized and was very apologetic on nanas behalf so I figured she was on my side with this.

Well apparently not as she came to me a few days ago asking me to take nana to an appointment. I reminded her that I wasn't doing that anymore after what happened last time. She looked stunned and said she'd thought I was just venting and that I'd be over it by now. I told her no, it was a pretty drat serious thing that happened and I'm not just gonna "get over it". She told me I was being heartless, that nana couldn't help it and that she couldn't believe I was so unwilling to help a sick old woman. I asked her if she really thought it was fair that I had put up with her screaming slurs at me and trying to get me in trouble in public but she just kept repeating "she can't help it". The argument ended with her calling me selfish and leaving to stay with her parents, her last words were "If you can't do it for nana then you should at least do it for your wife who you're supposed to love and do anything for." She has barely spoken to me since then, this was 2 days ago, and is still staying with her parents.

I thought that I was justified in not wanting to take her anymore but now I'm doubting myself. Reddit AITA?

Update for you good people: I had thought I wasn't the rear end in a top hat here but my wife's reaction put some doubt in my mind but after all the support I received here I text my wife telling her to come home as we needed a long chat about this situation. She came in and the first thing she said was "I wasn't even sure I was going to come you know" I asked why and she replied "I'm disappointed it's taken you this long to reach out to me to resolve this." Not off to a great start but I try to keep cool.

So we talk and she tells me she understands that it's upsetting for me to be with Nana when she starts getting worked up but I have to understand she can't help it and she needs family to support her through this difficult time. I explain it's not just about getting upset, it's legit dangerous for me. She still won't believe me, she keeps saying nothing will really happen though because it's just going to see the doctor, they know the situation there etc she even suggested that if I'm more careful and make sure not to frighten Nana by being too close she won't get as upset.

I'll admit I lost my cool here and asked her if she even gave a poo poo about me at all. She became very defensive and told me I'm being unreasonable. I then brought up this post and all the people here who thought I was being reasonable.

She exploded at me. How dare I share our private business with the world? I made her look like a monster. How could I be so unfair to her? You get the idea. She left again and said she didn't know when she'd be back. Honestly I'm not even sure if I want her to come back. I've never seen this side of her but I'm shocked by it.

I don't know where to go from here but I'm not sure I can be with someone who doesn't respect or believe me and tries to manipulate me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm really curious "what she's really asking for" by wanting a lock on her bedroom door.
Dad is a controlling weirdo who resents the idea that his children could have a private space. It's the same story in every "my kids want a lock for their room but I refuse" post.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not approving of my daughter's choice in boyfriend?

My daughter Amanda is 22. She is a law graduate and has just finished her legal practice course. Still living at home but that's not a problem for us. What is a problem is her the man she has chosen as her boyfriend.

His name is Mark. He's two years younger than her and works as an apprentice plumber. Nice enough guy but not a good background. He has a brother in prison and lives on a rough council estate on the edge of town. Amanda spends 3-4 nights a week there since they've been together. The problem is that that's a really rough place. Lots of drugs, violence and knife crime. No parent wants their kid willingly spending nights in a place like that.

From what she's said his mum is really nice, but even so we have to think of her safety.

We had a huge row about it yesterday, to the point that she ended up in tears and stormed out of the house to go to his place.

She's an adult and we will always respect her decisions, but surely that doesn't mean we have to support them?
I love seeing people like this hand-wring over somewhere being a 'really rough place', because it's always code for 'a crime happens here more than once a year, and this is unimaginable to my bougie suburban mindset' and/or 'poor people and minorities exist here'.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Dad is a controlling weirdo who resents the idea that his children could have a private space. It's the same story in every "my kids want a lock for their room but I refuse" post.

I know, I'm just amused by his wording. He wants to vaguely imply that there's some sort of awful unforeseen consequences that he is trying to protect his daughter from but he can't actually articulate them because they don't exist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Straight White Shark posted:

I know, I'm just amused by his wording. He wants to vaguely imply that there's some sort of awful unforeseen consequences that he is trying to protect his daughter from but he can't actually articulate them because they don't exist.

It's Sex.

It's always sex.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Haifisch posted:

I love seeing people like this hand-wring over somewhere being a 'really rough place', because it's always code for 'a crime happens here more than once a year, and this is unimaginable to my bougie suburban mindset' and/or 'poor people and minorities exist here'.

Ummm are you ignoring KNIFE CRIME

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA for stealing gifts my parents already gave me?

quote:

My parents are classic Boomer types. All gifts come with strings attached. For example, five years ago, I moved into an apartment they owned (I paid the rent / utilities every month in full). As a move in gift, my mom bought me a vintage dining table and chairs. I was thrilled! I’ve lived in that apartment for five years now, paid the rent in full every month and have been a great tenant. Now I am planning on moving out to live with my fiancé. I want to take my furniture with me - but my mom now wants to keep the table and chairs.

Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I took them? She gave them as a move in gift to me years ago and never mentioned she wanted them back.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What the gently caress

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ummm are you ignoring KNIFE CRIME

\

you need to update to a BoJo avatar now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

What the gently caress

It's dementia, but son in law doesn't believe in mental illness.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It is almost certainly dementia making nana behave that way, but gently caress that guy's wife for insisting he put up with it. He's right that it could be dangerous for him. Call a lift bus service. In many communities they are even subsidized and free or cheap.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If Nana "can't help it," wouldn't that imply that she's legitimately distressed and afraid of OP, and that maybe someone else who doesn't terrify the dementia patient should be helping with their appointments? Either you're traumatizing her for convenience's sake, or you're letting your husband get harassed in public by a vitriolic racist for convenience's sake.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The guy has legit concerns. If racist nana starts shouting about how he's mugging or kidnapping her in the parking lot it's not going to work out well for him

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

cumshitter posted:

The guy has legit concerns. If racist nana starts shouting about how he's mugging or kidnapping her in the parking lot it's not going to work out well for him

And his wife not only 100% doesn't even understand this, she's probably outraged that He's Making A Race Thing Out Of It. He'd doing the best to be a part of her family and his requests for accomodations are. . . Not being recieved well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I assume his wifes suggestion to resolve this will be he get burned by mistimed pyrotechnics

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's dementia, but son in law doesn't believe in mental illness.

Pretty sure he believes in it but still resents being expected to do her favors while she's shouting n-bombs at him. And is worried the next time she screams that he's stealing her purse some Zimmerman wannabe will Stand His Ground on his rear end.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
A couple of weeks ago there was a wild one that got deleted before I could copy it. It was by a home health aide about a 92f with dementia and her 96m husband, he was genuinely racist but she only became racist from the dementia. She shouted "STUPID JEW" at the dentist office or something.

I am sorry I let you down. The grandma here made me remember.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Why lovely old people gotta get mean and racist? when i go soft in the head, provided i'm not being used as breeding stock for some post apocalyptic ravanger squad, i'm probably just going to want to sit in a quiet room and hold some kittens. that's all i want to do right now actually.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for not responding to / not defending my former teacher after rumors of him sending explicit pictures spread

quote:

So I’m (22M) currently a graduate student in university, looking to go into PhD within the next semester or so. Back in HS, I was a bit of a nut for Latin and Ancient Greek — because of this, my Latin teacher and I became very close. No Ancient Greek courses were offered at my school, but he gave me several of his own textbooks and always took the time out of his lunch breaks and after-school hours to talk to me. Even more than that, this man sat me down and taught me a number of valuable life lessons when I was going through some rough patches, which eventually led to him writing both my and my sisters’ college recommendations.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I get a call from his lawyer asking me to testify on behalf of his character and ‘lack of technological knowledge’. I ask what for, to which the lawyer says he ‘really messed up’ in his use of technology. I asked a few friends, who said he sent explicit pictures — however, I never found news of this online and he never displayed red flags to my sister.

Anyways, on the original call with the lawyer I didn’t know this stuff and said I would write a letter. Never actually got around to it cus i was defending masters thesis, but as of recently I’ve been getting a lot of calls from him and his lawyer. The problem here is I don’t know what actually happened, but if he really did send explicit pictures, i would never defend a predator.

AITA for assuming the worst and blocking him, regardless of how much he helped me

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not approving of my daughter's choice in boyfriend?

My daughter Amanda is 22. She is a law graduate and has just finished her legal practice course. Still living at home but that's not a problem for us. What is a problem is her the man she has chosen as her boyfriend.

His name is Mark. He's two years younger than her and works as an apprentice plumber. Nice enough guy but not a good background. He has a brother in prison and lives on a rough council estate on the edge of town. Amanda spends 3-4 nights a week there since they've been together. The problem is that that's a really rough place. Lots of drugs, violence and knife crime. No parent wants their kid willingly spending nights in a place like that.

From what she's said his mum is really nice, but even so we have to think of her safety.

We had a huge row about it yesterday, to the point that she ended up in tears and stormed out of the house to go to his place.

She's an adult and we will always respect her decisions, but surely that doesn't mean we have to support them?

"I'm afraid of my daughter staying over there, that's why I had a screaming argument with her about it, causing her to go and stay there even more!"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [28F] will be breaking the lease because my housemates [26M] [23F] are disgusting. They are making my life hell.

quote:

Note: I have a reddit account but I've made a throwaway on my phone for my redditvirgin friend who has typed out what you see below. I'll forward her the link and password to this for her to read and respond to when she gets home to her computer.

TL;DR: My supposedly adult housemates have neglected to clean to the point that our house is a biohazard. Also have guests almost every single night. I cannot stay until the lease expires so I told them I will be buying my own place and moving out. If we can't find anyone to replace me we'll have to break the lease which will have consequences for them. Which I see is their own fault but they are being nightmares about it.

So I guess I f*cked up by telling them before I have somewhere else to live, but I thought it was the decent thing to do. This might be long because I'm probably going to vent a little.

Myself and [26M] (I'll just call him M) have lived here for about 18 months. [23F] (just F from now on) has been here 9 months. Things were only just ok before she replaced the original housemate, they are much worse now.

I don't eat at home, unless it's something I can make in my room. I shower at the gym (thankfully I have a 24/7 gym within walking distance, it's not unusual for my neighbors to see me walking down our street with my hair wrapped in a towel.) I also don't have people over.

My housemates are disgusting. DISGUSTING. There is something that was cheese on the floor, it's now an oily patch of gunk because it's been there for three weeks. Chips that are dropped on the floor eventually turn to dust from being constantly stepped on instead of picked up. The stove is a fire hazard because there is grease and food scraps all over it and up the wall. The bathroom has so much dust on the floor that it gets muddy when people shower. I've had to throw out shampoo because the bottle was covered in black slimy mold, just like the tiles and grout. They haven't thrown the cardboard tube from the middle of the toilet roll out in.... who even knows. The corner of the room is ankle deep with them. Thank god there is a toilet downstairs. It's the only thing in the house that I clean now.

You might be wondering why I don't clean? I used to. But I was the only one who did and fck that. At any given time there is at least 5 people here (including us), sometimes much more. Seriously, I kept track on a calendar because apparently I'm really petty now, there were only six nights in June and four in July that they didn't have people over. *None** of them clean up after themselves. They'll do some basic tidying up, like throwing out bottles, stacking the dishwasher etc, but no one cleans. How we don't have rats is a mystery to me. I've tried everything. I've tried conversations. I've tried house meetings. I tried a roster. I even had a full on tantrum that ended with a sobbing meltdown. M said these exact words to me: "cleaning is for when we have an inspection." Which is once every six months. F tells me I have these expectations because I'm older, which isn't true at all. I wasn't a lazy slob when I was her age.

So I've decided that it's time for me to leave. I've wanted to do it for a while, but I was waiting until I was in a position to buy my own place. Which I am now. I've started looking, but I don't want to settle for the first thing that comes along just to get out of where I am now. So I thought I'd give my housemates a heads up that they need to start looking for a replacement for me. I'm going to help them look of course, especially since technically it is my responsibilty, but I'm also going to be honest about why I'm moving. They've asked their friends, posted on Facebook, advertised on Gumtree etc, no one is interested. I mean who would be? They can't afford the place on their own and I'm not waiting another 8 months until the lease expires. Once I'm out, if there's no replacement for me then the lease will be broken. Not a big deal for me, but it will be for them. How are they going to get another lease with a strike on their record?

So now things are worse than before. While they used to at least try to keep the noise down when they had people over, they're now up until all hours of the night blasting music, shouting, stomping around etc. They seem to be purposely making more of a mess, and I've had to put a lock on the door that I'll have to remove and patch up when I move out because things have been moved around in my room. They also refer to me as 'mum' and 'the nzi'. As in "better ask mum permission about having people over tonight" and "better pick up that glass before the nzi goes blitzkrieg." They don't speak to me. They speak about me when I'm in the room, as if I'm not even there. "Did you hear something? Kinda like an annoying whiny noise?"

I might resort to anonymous noise complaints when they're carrying on at night and I'm even contemplating inviting the landlords over to see the state that their investment property is in, but besides that how do I survive? Family is not an option unless I quit my job since they live too far away, and my friends mostly have young families so no room for me. Besides this is my home that I'm paying rent for, I shouldn't have to find somewhere else to stay until I buy my own place.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pinecone Sample posted:

A couple of weeks ago there was a wild one that got deleted before I could copy it. It was by a home health aide about a 92f with dementia and her 96m husband, he was genuinely racist but she only became racist from the dementia. She shouted "STUPID JEW" at the dentist office or something.

I am sorry I let you down. The grandma here made me remember.

dementia doesnt make you racist it just removes your filter and fucks w/ your memory. the lady was genuinely racist to. I see no reason to doubt the guys story the nana is probably just in the beginings of dementia and is mostly lucid and being the racist pos she is she uses it as cover to be more racist. much like this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9foSmSM1dw

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 3, 2019

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

ad090 posted:

AITA for not responding to / not defending my former teacher after rumors of him sending explicit pictures spread

Am I allowed to hate this guy? Sure the teacher is likely a creep, and will have his day in court, but the OP can't spend a minute writing a letter for his former mentor? He breaks his word so easily? Clearly he has no honor.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I (f, 24) jas had awful theme park experience with S.O. (m, 30)

quote:

Alright, can someone affirm I'm not going crazy here. I hust had one of the weirdest days of my life with my boyfriend and I honestly don't know what to do next or if I'm overreacting.

So I've been dating ky boyfriend for 3 years. Let's call him Tommy. Now Tommy is big into "geek" culture. He has posters of anime girls in his room, will dress up like Doctor Strange unprompted etc... etc... Whatever, it makes him happy.

Anyway, Tommy's favorite movie is Jurassic Park. He'll have it on like once a week when I show up to his place. Naturally, Jurassic Park at Universal Studios was his favorite ride as well. When he heard that Jurassic Park was closing so they could do a "jurassic world" update, he seemed nonplussed. He's an adult. Nothing stays the same forever.

So Tommy's birthday was on Monday and they recently opened the" Jurassic World" attraction at Universal Studios. I thought this would be the perfect nostalgia gift so I bought us 2 tickets to the park. He's so excited. It's honestly sweet to see how pumped he is about the gift.

Fast forward to today, its our day at the park and everything is perfect. Its my first time here as I am not from L.A. but Tommy is an expert. He even downloaded an app on his phone that said how long the line for each ride was. We do a couple rides before Jurassic World and are having a great time. Then its time for the main attraction. We get in line and get ready to experience the reason we were in this park.

So we get on the ride and right away something is up. While the dinosaurs look great to me, Tommy is scowling. He even one of the animitronic dinosaurs to "gently caress off." I shoot him a "there a children present" look but he is too in his own head to realize it.

We turn a corner and are going up a lift hill. A video of Chris Pratt flickers on the screen. My boyfriend says at what seems to be the top of his lungs, "Another loving screen? I'm leaving." He then tries to lift the lap bar to presumably exit the ride vehicle. I give him a horrified look and his response is "This is horseshit. You like this?" And goes back to trying to lift the lap bar. At this point, the two kids in our row are like "WTF" as am I. I grab his arm and tell him "You need to stop now!" He does and the ride eventually ends.

When we get off the ride I'm like "What the gently caress was that?" And he says they killed part of his childhood and I have no right to treat him like a baby. I tell him he had no right to ruin everybody elses ride and he starts to cry. I have never even seen him cry before and he is bawling in Universal Studios. I'm mortified and we decide we need to leave.

He mopes the whole way, then when we get to the exit, its as if nothing has happened. He's back to his charming self and wants to go on more rides

I acquiesce as its my first time in the park and I payed a lot for tickets and we actually have a great time but the Jurassic World situation just didn't sit well with me. On the car ride home, he played it off as it was a joke and just went on and in about how good the day was.

So... Is Tommy a psychopath? I have literally never seen that behavior before. I don't know anything about psychology but... it can't be healthy to explode like that. Like im worried about deeper issues at hand here. If anyone has gone through similar experiences, I'd like to know cause I'm at a total loss here. Is this worthy of a break up? How do I know he won't explode at me like that?

Tl;dr: My boyfriend had a public freak out at an amusement park and I don't know how to proceed.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Now Tommy is big into "geek" culture. He has posters of anime girls in his room, will dress up like Doctor Strange unprompted etc... etc...

I was going to post "30 going on 13" but then I read the meltdown part :stare:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for bringing van tamales to a potluck?

I dont know if it’s a regional thing, but random people selling tamales is pretty normal here.

There is one lady who sits at Walmart in a van with her family and she legit sells the best tamales. Like my abuela’s tamales are obviously the best in the word but second to that is this lady’s tamales. They’re loving bomb.

Anyways, my work was having a potluck. I thought I’d sprinkle some flavor into the sea of velveeta sauce. I called the lady and ordered 36 tamales, and brought them.

Disclaimer: obviously this lady doesn’t have a food license or anything, but it’s a potluck. No one making food to bring in did either. I’ve had these tamales a million times and never gotten hurt.

Well, after everyone basically inhaled the tamales they started asking how I made them etc. I explained how tamales are usually made but said I got them from van lady. Some people seemed fine with it but others were visibly upset it wasn’t cooked by me or from a restaurant.

My boss asked to talk to me on Monday morning....

AITA?

nta and the boss is now addicted to van tamales and you are now his dealer. congrats on being unfireable but never let him learn who the lady is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Pinecone Sample posted:

(...)

We turn a corner and are going up a lift hill. A video of Chris Pratt flickers on the screen. My boyfriend says at what seems to be the top of his lungs, "Another loving screen? I'm leaving." He then tries to lift the lap bar to presumably exit the ride vehicle.

Did this guy have such a strong nerd rageout that he loving tried to leave a rollercoaster mid-ride?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Wow the guy with anime girl posters doesn't understand that you have to let things finish before you get off.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The image of a grown man sternly and angrily telling an animatronic dinosaur to gently caress off is also pretty great

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Is the updated version of the ride really that bad?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You idiots, you cant hold hands and sing away global geopolitical issues, thats why realpolitik exists I scream at the animatronic swedish boy holding hands with his neighbors

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Is the updated version of the ride really that bad?

It apparently has Crisp Rat in it,so yes.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for cutting off my friends for my girlfriend?

quote:

I have just finished my second year at university studying chemical engineering. It's one of the UK's best unis and I'm glad to be here, though its a huge amount of work. I established a friendship group when I got here, of both guys and girls who study a variety of subjects.

At the start of the year one of the girls in my group, Chloe, informed me that one of her friends was interested in me. Her name is Hannah and she is a medical student, and top of her year. My lot met up with her and her girl friends in the park. I saw Hannah and thought she was gorgeous, but after talking to her properly I really didn't want to go out with her. She was shallow, snobby and up herself. She kept bragging about how her parents were in the property business and had paid for all her studying expenses, so she didn't have to work while studying or pay back a student loan. She also talked about how some ''stupid'' people in her class should be working in mcdonalds and also how ''ugly'' some of the girls in her class were. I told Chloe I was not interested in dating her friend and she got annoyed. A week later I was told I'd made Hannah cry when Chloe told her.

In march I met a girl called Zara. She's lovely and is studying computer science while working in a coffee shop part time. Really pretty and smart, but also a really friendly and nice person and we've been dating since then.

Unfortunately a lot of the girls and some of the guys in my friendship group are strongly convinced that Hannah is the right girl for me. She's pretty, smart, comes from a well off family and has a glittering career ahead of her. She's also a spoiled bully, who has caused problems for quite a few people at uni. My friends have met Zara and are convinced that it's just a ''fling'' and that I'll choose Hannah eventually.

Zara and Hannah met on a night out, and Hannah was blatantly on drugs and started going on at me about how I picked a ''fat tramp'' over her. Me and Zara left soon after.

After uni finished we all made plans to meet soon, but I was told ''you can't bring your girlfriend'' as Hannah was coming and ''it's not fair to her''. This was too much for me and I left the group chat. A fair few of them tried to call me but I ignored the calls.

They were good friends, but frankly if they refuse to accept my relationship with a truly lovely person then I don't want them to be friends with me. Zara thinks I should reach out to them but I think it's pointless.

Have I done the right thing?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dudeness posted:

Legally the most a landlord can do is apply your security deposit to paying The Ghostbusters, and even then thye have to provide you with an invoice.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's an AITA post from an Asian-American 16-year-old who decided to quit gymnastics via a rampage in which she destroyed all her leotards, medals, and certificates, and then called her gym to say she hated them and wouldn't be back.

But that's not why I've called you here. Check out this comment:

That is so common in Korea, it’s such a different outlook there. Gangnam face is a thing. Eyelid surgery to have a double eyelid, shaving cheekbones and jawlines for a less round face, adding in a nasal bridge for a more “western” nose. It’s huge business. I had lasik done there when I lived there and they had a wall decoration of thousands of shaved bone fragments behind glass. An entire wall of human bone. As a decoration. Ick.

e:

AITA For throwing away my entire lifes worth of gymnastics training that I never wanted?

OP makes it clear in comments that she tried to tell her parents directly, over and over, and she even asked the gym to ban her because she hated it so much and her parents wouldn't listen.

Girl owns and I wish the poor sweet thing a happy life.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Pinecone Sample posted:

This story went from "cute couple trip" to "what the gently caress" in an instant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lucrece posted:

AITA for cutting off my friends for my girlfriend?

Lmao this is some A-grade Exeter university bullshit.

"Daddy pays my top up fees, darling. He's in property and banking. He's even paying for my gap year in Bali."

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

dudeness posted:

Wow the guy with anime girl posters doesn't understand that you have to let things finish before you get off.

:drat:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

therobit posted:

It is almost certainly dementia making nana behave that way, but gently caress that guy's wife for insisting he put up with it. He's right that it could be dangerous for him. Call a lift bus service. In many communities they are even subsidized and free or cheap.

"What? Are you afraid of the police? Nothing ever happened, they were always nice to me" (Is white)

Black man gets murdered by cops for breathing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I wear my speedos on a family vacation when my daughter has asked me not to?

My daughter seems to be the age where a lot of what I do has started to embarrasses her. I've been wearing speedos (or swim briefs) for a very long time and I still look pretty good in them and I keep myself in shape. I always wear them while swimming laps, most of the time while on vacations, and sometimes at a waterpark or beach at home. I feel comfortable in them. If I'm paying for a vacation, I want to feel the most comfortable I can.

My family and I will soon be going on a Disney cruise. We are going with some family friends and their kids too (but we're all making our own way there, so in some regards it's not a trip with them). My in laws are also going.

My daughter has recently told her mother (my wife) that she doesn't want me to wear my speedos while on vacation because it's embarrassing and because "no one else will be wearing them". My wife has always preferred it when I wear them (or so she says). My wife is on the fence about it and she has said it might not be completely acceptable due to the setting of a Disney cruise and who we're travelling with. I disagree. My wife and her mother talk a lot and quite a few things come out. This has also somehow come out to her. My mother in law thinks I should not be wearing them, especially on a Disney cruise with a lot of kids around. But speedos or swim briefs are not obscene in the least. They perform a proper function and they're comfortable. Everything is properly covered.

WIBTA if I wear my speedos on a family Disney cruise despite the objections from my daughter?