Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FutonForensic posted:

Only saw maybe six people with Trump/Pence signs on a corner outside
where are the trotskyists with signs that say "DSA killed Rosa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

where are the trotskyists with signs that say "DSA killed Rosa"

didn't sell enough newspapers to afford the brown bag lunch.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ok, looking in from the outside it's wild to me that different DSA caucuses have different resources and email lists separate from the org as a whole

I assume this sprung up as a consequence of the membership boom post-2016? was there ever any debate about it, or did it just develop this way haphazardly?

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

FutonForensic posted:

Only saw maybe six people with Trump/Pence signs on a corner outside

lmao that loving clown in the flag blazer tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

ok, looking in from the outside it's wild to me that different DSA caucuses have different resources and email lists separate from the org as a whole

I assume this sprung up as a consequence of the membership boom post-2016? was there ever any debate about it, or did it just develop this way haphazardly?

why wouldn't a caucus have a different email list than national, which may or may not even have an up-to-date membership list

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
thoughts on this?

https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1157685891231563778?s=2
https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1157686513515339776?s=21

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

she's not wrong that DSA might be better to babystep this by first really really understanding poo poo like securing communications and opsec crap

on the balance it's probably better to keep any antifa support off the record

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any sane antifascist organizing group should exist as a shadow council that's more or less completely off the books.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

#9 that were talking about right now is the hardest thing for me. It's a really, really tough call. Our chapter seems against and in favor of #80 instead.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the first rule of dsa fight club is that you ratify it nationally and talk about it openly

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Agreeing about the security concerns. Our chapter had a mini session about security and it got derailed into if we could trust the police to help us in case someone caused a problem.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Creating an on-the-record antifascist group seems like a great way to get completely owned by feds for being a "terror cell" with a big ol' list of names ready to get no-fly listed and poo poo until the organization becomes inaccessible to anyone not willing to become an outlaw

antifascist organizing has to happen at the affinity group level and you're putting a big target on your back signing your name to like, an "antifa caucus" even if it just means opposing fascism which you should obviously do

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Creating an on-the-record antifascist group seems like a great way to get completely owned by feds for being a "terror cell" with a big ol' list of names ready to get no-fly listed and poo poo until the organization becomes inaccessible to anyone not willing to become an outlaw

antifascist organizing has to happen at the affinity group level and you're putting a big target on your back signing your name to like, an "antifa caucus" even if it just means opposing fascism which you should obviously do

i swear to god so many of these resolutions had to be written by the police

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're an inclusive and "family friendly" org. The changes necessary to keep the org secure would kill that spirit of the org. My concern is that the changes wouldn't happen to make us more secure and we'd just be setting ourselves up for problems.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't do antifascist organization with anyone you aren't 100% confident would commit perjury on your behalf

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bushiz posted:

Don't do antifascist organization with anyone you aren't 100% confident would commit perjury on your behalf

I love the way you phrased this. Thank you.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

We're an inclusive and "family friendly" org. The changes necessary to keep the org secure would kill that spirit of the org. My concern is that the changes wouldn't happen to make us more secure and we'd just be setting ourselves up for problems.

it's a really bad idea to start a dsa fight club internet forum that will inevitably lead to provocateur activity

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bushiz posted:

yyeah dsa crimes caucus should be off the books

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i've had conversations about this stuff with people in my chapter that wanted to do self defense working groups or shooting range groups and i just really think that stuff is not what the DSA is for. im all for those things but they should be completely separate entities that are not connected to the org in any way

ZAA trick ZAAAH
Mar 13, 2001

anyone in favor of r9, if they aren't a cop themselves, would absolutely be the first to bail and snitch as soon as the pigs crank up the heat. many delegates who do this work are afraid to speak for good reason, and unfortunately against is loving this up by playing into the facile liberal-minded sentimental frame that supporters are putting forward

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Molly being in favor was the hardest part for me. AFAIK she's been very involved and impacted by this work.

ZAA trick ZAAAH
Mar 13, 2001

this working group would be over before it starts, not because of "safety" or making us "targets" (we already are) but because it would be useless as it could only be presumed infiltrated from jump

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was very against going into the conversation but the discussion on the floor was compelling to me. It's clear we need to do something, just that this isn't it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ZAA trick ZAAAH posted:

this working group would be over before it starts, not because of "safety" or making us "targets" (we already are) but because it would be useless as it could only be presumed infiltrated from jump

absolutely. and making a national forum for pigs to post poo poo on is a bad idea

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lowtax gets visited by the SS every 2 weeks for owning a comedy forum lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Molly being in favor was the hardest part for me. AFAIK she's been very involved and impacted by this work.

she's also wealthy enough that she has nothing to lose lol

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is it split right now?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

is it split right now?

too close to call, so divided house with counted votes to be cast by ballot using online opavoting over resolution #9 as originally written:

if approved, the new NPC will interpret this part of it, the resolve portion ignoring all the whereas sections, as they interpret it, in a way that national's legal counsel advises. vote result to be announced in 90 minutes when lunch ends.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dsa declaring itself antifa and then trump declaring antifa literal terrorists would be a cool way to get sent to gitmo

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I was very against going into the conversation but the discussion on the floor was compelling to me. It's clear we need to do something, just that this isn't it.

i'm not at the convention, but this is where i'm at i think - not clear to me what a national working group would be able to do over and above what i presume most chapters are already doing in their own local organizing whenever there's an antifascist component

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

dsa declaring itself antifa and then trump declaring antifa literal terrorists would be a cool way to get sent to gitmo

ive always wanted to go to cuba

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

ive always wanted to go to cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2-ZVxpVjc

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i definitely feel that "organized and official antifascist praxis" and "applause gives certain comrades panic attacks and not finger-jaggling to accommodate them is Aggression" are two factors that will come into conflict sooner or later.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

i definitely feel that "organized and official antifascist praxis" and "applause gives certain comrades panic attacks and not finger-jaggling to accommodate them is Aggression" are two factors that will come into conflict sooner or later.

big tent!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

gitmo has tents right?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

By not endorsing Bernie, the DSA is choosing to not endorse the misogyny, racism and antisemitism he represents.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

gitmo has tents right?

no it'd be more small 8x10 room where the lights never turn off and is 70% cot and squat toilet by floor area

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

jarofpiss posted:

gitmo has tents right?

non-airconditioned in fact!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

non-airconditioned in fact!

dsa anarcho primitive caucus is in for a real treat