Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/JTOpinions/status/1157705073088172033

"Her job was made harder by austerity"

e: catte tax

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/FrogCroakley/status/1157707355775221760?s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanks, I hate it

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Feels to me like there's a whole world of complicated poo poo in the women zone and I hit a synapse to all that nasty oppressive stuff somewhere. I don't get exactly where this connects with that or how it invokes it, and usually when people try to explain the conversation goes over my head very quickly so I'm willing to say the wizards ITT know better and just not make sexual references I guess as a safe route.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

White chocolate lemon could work.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

the best way to not be sexist is to not be a oval office who uses gender-specific slurs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ta_mills/status/1157693384603160577?s=19

Lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol @ "we have no evidence that says the labour party isn't five hundred thousand hitlers in a trenchcoat"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

Oh poo poo which festival?

Redfest!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan picture but it's Hitlers all the way down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hobbes' Livingstone

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Totally Normal Countrycast

Gotta be.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Azza Bamboo posted:

Feels to me like there's a whole world of complicated poo poo in the women zone and I hit a synapse to all that nasty oppressive stuff somewhere. I don't get exactly where this connects with that or how it invokes it, and usually when people try to explain the conversation goes over my head very quickly so I'm willing to say the wizards ITT know better and just not make sexual references I guess as a safe route.

(this ended up longer than it was supposed to be AGAIN sorry)

it's more that women have always been treated as second class, treated as sex objects and decoration and not taken seriously compared to men. Gender roles are a thing, and the role women are expected to fit into is look pretty and pander to male desires and look after the kids and the house, and if they don't then they'll face social consequences

feminism has been about breaking down these walls and enabling women (and men) to be treated as individuals instead of being narrowly defined by gender. Men and women shouldn't be treated differently, and nobody should be punished for not conforming to some expectations about what they're supposed to be like. More and more you're seeing women in positions of authority without having to justify themselves

but there's still pushback against that, there's still people trying to reinforce gender roles and drag women back down, and reducing them to sex objects is part of that. It's really embedded in society, which is why a lot of people don't really realise it or why it's a problem. When Blair's victory included a bunch of new women MPs, they got referred to as "Blair's Babes" - it's patronising and disrespectful, putting them into a particular box, where they're singled out for being women (MP is a "man's job") and objectified (keeping them in their place). It's comforting to people who don't like to see the world they understand (men are like this, women are like this) changing and having their own views challenged - so undermining that progress women have made and objectifying them is a way of pushing back and reasserting that hierarchy. And it still happens now in the media, although a lot less thankfully

that's just general background, I hope it makes sense! That's basically the drive behind people using sexualisation of women as a way of reducing their worth and dismissing them, "putting them in their place", and obviously this goes to some very dark places. The way to resist that is to reject those gender roles, to not objectify women or judge them on their attractiveness, and to not use those things when criticising or mocking women. And that requires being honest with yourself, because we all grew up in a society that taught us to do those things, it requires some amount of deprogramming and we're all gonna screw up sometimes. But with the right attitude (which it sounds like you have) you'll learn and improve and help to make society better at this stuff!

don't feel like it's over your head or "women's stuff" though, it's about people treating each other right and that's an important thing to work on, y'know?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

baka kaba posted:

it's just a bit skeevy to sexualise her as a way of mocking her - the right does it a lot, whenever some woman speaks out about something, a common thing they do is photoshop her performing sex acts or being violated, as a way to humiliate women and assert dominance over them. When AOC was visiting those camps, there was a huge social media group for border guards that got exposed, and that kind of stuff was being posted in there (as well as, like, calls for a guard to assault her and they'd crowdfund a reward)

I know you were going for more of a silly joke, but it's still not the kind of thing you want to do because it's still objectifying her, y'know? I'd go with lengthening the awkward awkward pauses (especially if you can find frames that link perfectly so you can't see the jump) or just "I've been in Beijing, opening new pork markets! *applause* THAT IS A DISGRACE"

e- I've been in Yorkshire! THAT IS A DISGRACE shoutout to owlfancier

The awkward pauses were absolutely the best bit of the whole things. It’s what makes the Mike Gapes CUK announcement video so good.

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/1097620614347673602?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/LivvyFanon/status/1157717259864817664?s=19

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I have no idea why Livvy's suddenly all over the place but I approve of it because she rules :discourse:

Azza I just want to say you're a good'un for being willing to listen when someone criticises you and accepting something even if you don't fully understand the nuances. That's genuine class imo :thumbsup:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Currently sat in St Mary's Urgent Treatment Centre in Portsmouth as my kidneys feel like they're going to explode

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarnop posted:

https://twitter.com/JTOpinions/status/1157705073088172033

"Her job was made harder by austerity"

e: catte tax

:lol: Amazing take

Also good catte hope he is enjoying the Dreamies coma

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Currently sat in St Mary's Urgent Treatment Centre in Portsmouth as my kidneys feel like they're going to explode

:ohdear: Hope you're alright bby

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah hope they see you soon duder

I did hear if you stand up and say "pickled onion is the best monster munch" you'll get the express VIP treatment but I can't confirm this rumour

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Right I've decided I'm going to do the whole engagement thing but Google is useless for this.

Where do I start?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just another nazi mass murder manifesto posted on 8chan

https://twitter.com/SocialSciNerd/status/1157722038120923143?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tindr is popular nowadays i think.

Get well soon SMGT

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah Azza just wanna say you seem like a good guy and I hope you stick around. Your joke was a bad one but it's cool, just learn from it.

Steve2911 posted:

Right I've decided I'm going to do the whole engagement thing but Google is useless for this.

Where do I start?

Whole engagement thing? As in, engagement to be married? It's traditional to start by finding a lady friend (assuming you are a heterosexual male).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WhatEvil posted:

Whole engagement thing? As in, engagement to be married? It's traditional to start by finding a lady friend (assuming you are a heterosexual male).

gently caress, ok. I'll make a start.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

Why are we wasting our time with this poo poo.

Lets focus on the terrorism that anyone could face on the street; having a milkshake thrown at you. Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage being hit was our Twin Towers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well no nigel farage was a tower and tommy robinson was more like building six.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gorn Myson posted:

Why are we wasting our time with this poo poo.

Lets focus on the terrorism that anyone could face on the street; having a milkshake thrown at you. Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage being hit was our Twin Towers.

As a minority white male, I

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the generation of US kids growing up with school shootings entering politics is going to be wild

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

that's just general background, I hope it makes sense! That's basically the drive behind people using sexualisation of women as a way of reducing their worth and dismissing them, "putting them in their place", and obviously this goes to some very dark places. The way to resist that is to reject those gender roles, to not objectify women or judge them on their attractiveness, and to not use those things when criticising or mocking women. And that requires being honest with yourself, because we all grew up in a society that taught us to do those things, it requires some amount of deprogramming and we're all gonna screw up sometimes. But with the right attitude (which it sounds like you have) you'll learn and improve and help to make society better at this stuff!
Vaguely related, but whenever a homophobic politician or religious figure gets caught on the DL, the mockery of it takes a weird tone, because while a lot of people will be mocking them for their hypocrisy, a lot of other people will be just mocking them for getting caught doing icky gay stuff, and sometimes out of context it's hard to know where one begins and one ends (unless they're outright throwing slurs around).

But I'll still mock them, because their hypocrisy gets people killed and overall makes society a worse place, and they always seem to react to getting caught with "this was my moral failing" and not "yeah just realized it's actually nbd to be gay."

Hope ShaneMacGowansTeeth gets fixed.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Someone just announced that there's a chance I won't be seen tonight HOORAY

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Hope ShaneMacGowansTeeth gets fixed.

He'll only get them knocked out again.

E: Hope you're ok buddy.

EE: Unrelated but:

https://twitter.com/PunishedCarxist/status/1157661955727003648?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm 99% sure whoever runs that account posts itt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JewishWorker/status/1157733649456013313?s=20

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The SMUT centre, you say?

(good luck with the kidneys tho)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'm almost certain this is something to do with the epilepsy meds I'm on

e: people getting royally pissed off at the waiting times in here

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 3, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/sravfa/status/1157187062421835776?s=20

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Imagine thinking the Hong Kong protesters waving union jacks is some great vindication of British imperialism. Oh wow, we are less bad than the people who are literally hiring gangsters to beat up protesters. What a ringing endorsement.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

:lol: Amazing take

Also good catte hope he is enjoying the Dreamies coma

He's happily snoring away and occasionally rolling over to cook himself evenly on all sides.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Vaguely related, but whenever a homophobic politician or religious figure gets caught on the DL, the mockery of it takes a weird tone, because while a lot of people will be mocking them for their hypocrisy, a lot of other people will be just mocking them for getting caught doing icky gay stuff, and sometimes out of context it's hard to know where one begins and one ends (unless they're outright throwing slurs around).

But I'll still mock them, because their hypocrisy gets people killed and overall makes society a worse place, and they always seem to react to getting caught with "this was my moral failing" and not "yeah just realized it's actually nbd to be gay."

yeah I was gonna say something about how sexualisation only happens to women and not their male peers, but that's not actually true - it's just that with men it usually takes the form of calling them gay. Which I guess makes sense in the gender roles hierarchy - women get reminded of their place, men get accused of failing to meet the standard and become a target for punishment

I guess it's just down to how you mock them, maybe sometimes there's no way to make it humorous without people assuming you're saying "the hypocrisy of this guy when he is also gay which makes him just as bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

Until I checked the news I thought this was talking about the previous mass shooting rather than the current one :smith: