Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

PST posted:

It was certainly a more diverse year for nominations, but Chaosium swept the board so completely they must have had a really effective campaign for getting people to do the clicking.

Having some inside baseball here, I can say not really? They've got some moderately active facebook groups and a regular newsletter, but beyond advertising that they had stuff up for the ennies I don't think that there was much of a campaign.

They're a well known brand with a decent reputation winning a popularity contest, it's not a huge mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you saying that they didn’t have a campaign, or that their campaign wasn’t effective? They certainly posted asking people to vote for them, and they won because lots of people voted for them, so it seems from my outside tennis perspective that they had an effective campaign.

Did their posts not lead to more people voting for them? That would be sort of odd, and I’d love to hear more about it if so.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I see your point, but It's hard to say. Posting "look we've got ennie noms go vote" in their social media and newsletter certainly made a positive impact, but it's impossible to say if it made a difference. They certainly would have won stuff if they had maintained radio silence.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Given the OSR community didn't get to pull the organised fix they've been doing for a few years that meant it was just down to broad popularity.

The HPLHS Masks prop set was a $130 item. I doubt the majority of people who voted for it had bought it. Maybe they were critically looking at reviews for everything but I doubt it.

Chaosium while undoubtedly doing a lot better than a few years ago are still a small company. And a relatively small player base compared to the bigger competition.

But with none of the bigger competition in the running except perhaps Monte it was down to comparably popular games and companies. Hence wfrp and pelgrane/delta green etc.

With chaosium in so many categories once they got someone to vote for one of their items they probably got them to vote for them all.

Hence really successful campaign for them.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

LongDarkNight posted:

For $200 a year Monte Cook will mail you newspaper clippings, an assortment of matchbooks from defunct restaurants, polaroids of strangers and bespoke red string from the home of a conspiracy theorist that vanished mysteriously. The box itself smells vaguely of farts.

Ok but if it was from Greg Stolze I'd probably buy it

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm just surprised that I see no Paizo on the list.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I've got Mothership and it looks great so I'm happy for those wins :toot:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm just surprised that I see no Paizo on the list.

Neither Paizo nor WotC submitted this year. Not sure if they plan to abstain in the future but it's definitely led to more indie products on the list!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm really glad Ironsworn won for best free product. It's really good and deserves more attention.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PinheadSlim posted:

While reading his wikipedia page I discovered he wrote a freaking Black Company campaign setting for D20 systems. It's pretty rare now so fat chance I'll get to read it :saddowns:

Wow I should sell mine.

It's really not good, though it does have a map, at least, unlike the books.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
One of the Judges Spotlight Ennies, Plot Armor, looks like its sporting a cover that's made from a re-tinted piece of promo art from season two of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. I'd recognize Setsuna F. Seiei and the 00 Gundam itself just about anywhere.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Wow I should sell mine.

I've only gotten to do a few skims of Band of Blades so far, but it looks like a very good Black Company-esque game, at least.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

taichara posted:

One of the Judges Spotlight Ennies, Plot Armor, looks like its sporting a cover that's made from a re-tinted piece of promo art from season two of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. I'd recognize Setsuna F. Seiei and the 00 Gundam itself just about anywhere.

Wow, they weren't even trying to hide it...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

https://twitter.com/GreenRoninPub/status/1157399602716454912

So, Green Robin is the place that hasn't published a timeline they promised about harassment policies, iirc? But I know nothing else about them.

E: also 'Fifth Season RPG' should be a specialized storygame designed for stories of slavery and rebellion and devastating losses of control, what style of games do GR produce?

The announcement on their website gave specifics on what the rules will be based on, too, so don't expect it to stray very far from the rest of their wheelhouse of d20 and D&D-alike games:

quote:

Tanya DePass (I Need Diverse Games, Rivals of Waterdeep) and Joseph D. Carriker (Blue Rose, Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting) will co-develop the game. The Fifth Season RPG will use a revised and customized version of Green Ronin’s Chronicle System, which powered the company’s long-running Game of Thrones RPG, A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

I've got Mothership and it looks great so I'm happy for those wins :toot:

Neither Paizo nor WotC submitted this year. Not sure if they plan to abstain in the future but it's definitely led to more indie products on the list!

yea I'm biased as a big fan of Chaosium but I'm happy to see a lot of those wins and places. Also glad that D&D/PF didn't submit, I know we joke about this stuff being a 'who can get people to click the thing the most' thing...because it is, but it IS nice when the two kings of the ring don't suck up the air from at least letting the smaller guys tell their fans to click the thing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

PST posted:

Best Game
GOLD: Mothership: Player’s Survival Guide (Tuesday Knight Games)
SILVER: Dialect: A Game about Language and How it Dies (Thorny Games)

Is the website accurate when they say that Mothership is still an alpha version?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Thanlis posted:

Is the website accurate when they say that Mothership is still an alpha version?

Latest release, which is still 'pay what you want' claims to be a 'beta'. Maybe being 'free' helped it win? On the other hand Ettin says it's great, so there's at least one ringing endorsement, and the 68 reviews are pretty solid on drivethru.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/245017/Mothership-Players-Survival-Guide

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

dwarf74 posted:

Wow I should sell mine.

Post some of the statblocks, they're an amazing example of why not to use d20 for 35th level characters. (I'll post some when I get back to town)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

PST posted:

Latest release, which is still 'pay what you want' claims to be a 'beta'. Maybe being 'free' helped it win? On the other hand Ettin says it's great, so there's at least one ringing endorsement, and the 68 reviews are pretty solid on drivethru.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/245017/Mothership-Players-Survival-Guide

Mothership is a solid rules light game for sci-fi horror. It seems a bit odd that in won while still being in beta though. The design of the book and character sheets is really nice.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The PDF isn't too hard to find if you can't shell out $100 for a used copy.

The one I want is Dragon's Secret by Jennell Jaquays. She took it down because she doesn't want to support frog god, which I totally get, but I can't even find a PDF.

xiw posted:

Post some of the statblocks, they're an amazing example of why not to use d20 for 35th level characters. (I'll post some when I get back to town)

I, uh, found it. I don't have any experience with D20 systems past level 20, so this is kind of a shocker for me.

:wtc:

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 3, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Remember that the Epic Level Handbook was OGL. So if you like gaping in horror at d20 rules bent past their breaking point, having the broken shards melted down and reforged, then bent and broken again, you can always admire the epic monster stat blocks in the d20 SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicMonstersAndObstacles.htm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"Alignment: Himself"

They got that right !

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A stat block of "haha gently caress you no" is entirely appropriate for the big assholes in the Black Company setting, and 3e D&D can definitely produce one of those. Something that's actually usable would be better though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A stat block of "haha gently caress you no" is entirely appropriate for the big assholes in the Black Company setting, and 3e D&D can definitely produce one of those. Something that's actually usable would be better though.

The funny thing is that it's not even "gently caress you no" because it has obvious holes in it. What is a demigod designed to take on 75th-level characters doing with an AC of 17?

This isn't just a problem with the Black Company book, to be honest. A lot of 3.0 products were very swingy like that, as people learned how to build NPCs and monsters around benchmark mechanics, instead of the 2e and earlier setup of "just throw poo poo at the wall until it sticks." The sample NPC stat blocks in the 3e Epic Level Handbook have the same problems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arivia posted:

The funny thing is that it's not even "gently caress you no" because it has obvious holes in it. What is a demigod designed to take on 75th-level characters doing with an AC of 17?

Mind controlling people into not melee attacking him. :snark:

The Dominator should be built to mentally control wizards of 35th-45th level and to pull off some flashy epic-scale attack spells like in the Lady's duel with the Black Castle/Dominator at the end of the second book. I particularly like the invisible giant's foot stomping all over platoons of soldiers for both effect and style

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Arivia posted:

This isn't just a problem with the Black Company book, to be honest. A lot of 3.0 products were very swingy like that, as people learned how to build NPCs and monsters around benchmark mechanics, instead of the 2e and earlier setup of "just throw poo poo at the wall until it sticks." The sample NPC stat blocks in the 3e Epic Level Handbook have the same problems.

The Dominator wasn't ever intended, I suspect, to 'take on 75th level characters'; the Black Company books aren't that sort of high fantasy. Plus he's asleep. Most Black Company characters in the books (note: I have never seen the game book) probably top out, in my estimate, at around 12th level.

EDIT:

mllaneza posted:

Mind controlling people into not melee attacking him. :snark:

The Dominator should be built to mentally control wizards of 35th-45th level and to pull off some flashy epic-scale attack spells like in the Lady's duel with the Black Castle/Dominator at the end of the second book. I particularly like the invisible giant's foot stomping all over platoons of soldiers for both effect and style

Yeah if the Dominator's Armor Class is ever even relevant the DM has hosed up mightily

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 3, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arivia posted:

The funny thing is that it's not even "gently caress you no" because it has obvious holes in it.
It's gently caress you no because it's a giant wall of epic 3e, not the specific content. It just screams warnings of suffering at the GM.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Dominator wasn't ever intended, I suspect, to 'take on 75th level characters'; the Black Company books aren't that sort of high fantasy. Plus he's asleep. Most Black Company characters in the books (note: I have never seen the game book) probably top out, in my estimate, at around 12th level.
I'm pretty sure the game's gimmick was mostly playing lower level characters and then having super epic wizard assholes hiring you or getting in your way so you have to call your super epic wizard rear end in a top hat employer or just spend a session figuring out a way to ambush and murder them without them getting a reaction. But mostly you'd be fighting other lower level characters, oppressing villages, murdering rebel scum, the usual Black Company stuff until they switch sides.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm pretty sure the game's gimmick was mostly playing lower level characters and then having super epic wizard assholes hiring you or getting in your way so you have to call your super epic wizard rear end in a top hat employer or just spend a session figuring out a way to ambush and murder them without them getting a reaction.

So, accurate to the books, then

The Black Company novels are essentially "fantasy Vietnam" and you're a regular-rear end infantryman, but if you're lucky your employer can chuck some magic airstrikes for you

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm pretty sure the game's gimmick was mostly playing lower level characters and then having super epic wizard assholes hiring you or getting in your way so you have to call your super epic wizard rear end in a top hat employer or just spend a session figuring out a way to ambush and murder them without them getting a reaction. But mostly you'd be fighting other lower level characters, oppressing villages, murdering rebel scum, the usual Black Company stuff until they switch sides.

but wotc already released the 3e Forgotten Realms?!?!?1

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

As weird as it sounds the low AC would be true to the books. Given that they get rid of him by trapping him in an anti-magic field and stabbing him to death.

I somehow doubt Forgotten Realms would allow one of its biggies to go down like that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Most Black Company characters in the books (note: I have never seen the game book) probably top out, in my estimate, at around 12th level.

They're characters in a work of fiction, they don't have levels, they have whatever abilities the writer's whim and the necessities of the plot dictate.

Trying to assign RPG stats to characters from novels/movies/etc. is an incredibly dumb thing that people need to stop doing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're characters in a work of fiction, they don't have levels, they have whatever abilities the writer's whim and the necessities of the plot dictate.

Trying to assign RPG stats to characters from novels/movies/etc. is an incredibly dumb thing that people need to stop doing.

this is a conversation about the RPG based on the books though, this is the one case where assigning RPG stats is actually a thing

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Ghost Sound +42 - this skill lets you speak in a spooky voice, call out to nearby ghosts, and insert spectral catheters

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

neaden posted:

Mothership is a solid rules light game for sci-fi horror. It seems a bit odd that in won while still being in beta though. The design of the book and character sheets is really nice.

Yeah, I am super into Mothership's layout. The way it does map spreads inspired me to do something similar with Hard Wired Island :toot:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Ettin posted:

Yeah, I am super into Mothership's layout. The way it does map spreads inspired me to do something similar with Hard Wired Island :toot:

Are we about the sci-fi horror game? If so, I got if from itch.IO, I like the design, but it doesn´t really feel, that well made of a game, it felt like it´s just the core rules for a sci-fi horror game made in the guise of an OSR game. I mean, you have mercenary rules and weapon tables, ship-to-ship combat, but nothing about "why are we doing this?" or even "who are the ill-fit people coming together to possibly get killed searching this space hulk?".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Are we about the sci-fi horror game? If so, I got if from itch.IO, I like the design, but it doesn´t really feel, that well made of a game, it felt like it´s just the core rules for a sci-fi horror game made in the guise of an OSR game. I mean, you have mercenary rules and weapon tables, ship-to-ship combat, but nothing about "why are we doing this?" or even "who are the ill-fit people coming together to possibly get killed searching this space hulk?".
The game isn't technically complete yet. There's going to be a GM's guide at some point.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mothership's neat. I enjoyed GMing it and the effort I put into it, even if the rule system was kind of weak and definitely unfinished. It really does suffer from the "you're kind of less than average at a skill at start" thing that made my group cold on it, especially for a one-shot. But the game itself and its ideas do make the monkey brain happy so I don't regret putting money into it and the space station supplement.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I joined a con game of Mothership recently and I feel like the intent is the skills are supposed to be only that low when your character is under high stress/disaster level pressure situations. When the GM kept calling for rolls in the first act tension phase it felt narratively *wrong*, but the cascade failure scenarios the math promotes seemed on brand once the actual horror started.

Haven’t read through the actual rules myself, but it was interesting enough I’d like to see the final version and how it works with less of an emphasis of roll for everything than my one shot GM had.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

For anyone needing more input on the Zweihander guy, he's the kind of guy who puts out a mini-supplement based on a Twitter meme within 24 hours.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/284979

Whether you feel this is good or bad will help clarify how you feel about him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also the Gencon Exclusive LOTFP book boldly emblazoned with "Zak S had nothing to do with this book" has a screed about how punishing people monetarily for being rapists is actually a bad thing for you as you are denying yourself their "great art".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Raggi the Extremely Upset Coward.