Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hold up, hold up. Odd is effectively only 11 years old at the start of DS9?! He doesn’t remember anything before the Bajorans found him, so he’s only experienced eleven years of life. Jake Sisko is older than him!

Pretty sure they changed it up a bit by the time it was on the show. The script for the pilot said he was found in 2337 which is 32 years prior to DS9.

After Odo was found, he was studied for 7 years by Mora before Mora realized Odo was sentient. If we count this as Odo's "birth", he's probably 25 years of experience by the time DS9 started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hold up, hold up. Odd is effectively only 11 years old at the start of DS9?! He doesn’t remember anything before the Bajorans found him, so he’s only experienced eleven years of life. Jake Sisko is older than him!

assigned grumpy old man at birth

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also I love that they come across an exact replica of Earth with the same continents and everything and no one really seems to give a poo poo about how or why it's there.

That might be the first really, really dumb thing in trek ever. Other than that it's not really too bad an episode except for child actors.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Don't fix that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That might be the first really, really dumb thing in trek ever.

It's based on real science, though I think accidentally. IF (big if) the universe is infinite, there must be an infinite number of exact duplicates of Earth because there are only a finite number of combinations for matter. You wouldn't just run across one tooling around the Milky Way, but they'd be out there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Lester Shy posted:

I would be too. I saw this timeline the other day:

I never realized that DS9 only had one season to stand on its own as the sole Trek show (or that there was only an 8 month gap between the end of TNG and the start of VOY.) The first season gets overshadowed by the wildly popular TNG and then once DS9 is hitting its stride, here comes the new hotness.
Even saying that DS9 had "one season" to stand on its own is being a bit generous. At the start of season 3 it was the only first-run Trek on TV... but things were in full hype mode for Generations at that point (November 94). And by the time Generations is out, there's already TV Guide cover features on Voyager. January 95 comes along, Voyager is on network TV and welp, hope you enjoyed your three minutes of carrying the torch Sisko!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t know if it’s just the “backer’s edition” copy but the Blu-ray of What We Left Behind I just got has a much better cover than the one you usually see. Instead of Behr doing the whole hand pose thing it’s a shot of Sisko’s baseball on his desk in front of his computer screen. The back of the insert is a not great but not terrible cartoon drawing of Sisko standing in front of his office window looking... contemplatively tired? Hard to say. In any case it’s a much better cover than I was expecting.

My poster arrived today (shipped direct from Ira for some reason) and I really wish it was the Sisko word art poster thing they did instead of Ira’s dumbass beard in space.

Or maybe it’s different, I can’t even be bothered to open it and check. :effort: The doc itself was pretty disappointing and a lot of that was because of Ira.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I feel Tuvok is being a little unfair about Kes's psychic powers, calling them "undisciplined". Hey rear end in a top hat, they're brand new to her. Her species hasn't had those powers for generations, of course she hasn't got the hang of them yet. Also I don't hate Neelix.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ethan Phillips is, I'm sure, an OK guy and that blunts some of the disdain I feel toward Neelix. A little.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like his schtick of helping an uptight crew do things in a more efficient yet non-standard way that helps things feel more homey, like working with the hydroponic bay to make elaborate meals to save transporter energy. He's silly as a person, but he is the part of the ships ecosystem that helps people avoid getting their heads shoved so far up their asses that there is no going back. He's a good idea, but poorly written. I also kind of like when they come across new aliens and he's got the experience to be informative, like "Oh these guys can be assholes, but they love a good dance off...."

Also, removing either half of B'elana's DNA would not turn her fully klingon or fully human. The DNA is a sequence of instructions that tell the body what to make. If the change were that drastic, it would take place over a very long time as cells dies out naturally but get replaced following the new instructions, so certainly she may eventually grow more or shed some of her forehead-plating, but very gradually if at all, and her teeth would not be affected at all.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 3, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

8 episodes into a watch through of TOS and holy moly do the 1960's and Gene Roddenberry combine to make some cringe worthy scenes.

Also I love that they come across an exact replica of Earth with the same continents and everything and no one really seems to give a poo poo about how or why it's there.

A major premise of TOS is that Space Is Weird and literally ANYTHING can happen, something lost with later iterations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

A major premise of TOS is that Space Is Weird and literally ANYTHING can happen, something lost with later iterations.

"Anything" usually meaning "planets that use existing sets and costumes owned by Paramount."

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 3, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also gods that take the form of Earth’s myths.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

They really transferred a baby into Kira, huh. And apparently Bajoran women sneeze when they're pregnant. What.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CptAwesome posted:

They really transferred a baby into Kira, huh. And apparently Bajoran women sneeze when they're pregnant. What.

The Kira's actress was pregnant in real-life, so that is why it happened.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"The Kira is aggressive."

"Adversarial."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Kira's actress was pregnant in real-life, so that is why it happened.

And Siddig El Fadil was the father, which is why in some episode they throw in a "This is your fault" joke.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Melting Odo from the season 4 finale was horrifying to say the least

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, removing either half of B'elana's DNA would not turn her fully klingon or fully human. The DNA is a sequence of instructions that tell the body what to make. If the change were that drastic, it would take place over a very long time as cells dies out naturally but get replaced following the new instructions, so certainly she may eventually grow more or shed some of her forehead-plating, but very gradually if at all, and her teeth would not be affected at all.

If there's one thing Star Trek gets right, it sure ain't biology

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

8one6 posted:

And Siddig El Fadil was the father, which is why in some episode they throw in a "This is your fault" joke.

Wasn't that after Nana Visitor had ended a relationship with Avery Brooks, which made the set pretty awkward for a while?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wasn't that after Nana Visitor had ended a relationship with Avery Brooks, which made the set pretty awkward for a while?

That's the rumor I've heard but since I was 11 when DS9 was on I can't say if it's true or not.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I really hope this is a mistake cause Avery's been married to the same person since 1976.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is the known rumor.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Ethan Phillips is, I'm sure, an OK guy and that blunts some of the disdain I feel toward Neelix. A little.

He's a good actor. If they told him to play it like an annoying creep, then by god he delivered.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's TV DNA.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

Also gods that take the form of Earth’s myths.

"Actually, we find the One quite adequate." :smug:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jetrel is a really good Neelix episode, but it gets very bonkers in the last 10 minutes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Big Emissary Energy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm loving that in the season 1 Voyager finale, the Maquis crew all think that B'helana and Chakotay will have their backs but they just get "Do the loving work you nincompoops. We are all starfleet now, so deal with it and don't come bitching to us that you can't just do what you want anymore."

Edit: OH NO THE CHEESE IS SICK AND NEEDS A DOCTOR!

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 3, 2019

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Post your dialog contest:
Happy hour in 10 Forward!
Didn't you hear, Commander? We made orbit around Risa 10 minutes ago.

(Riker would just use site-to-site transport)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK one more: Cheese nearly killed Voyager. The ship is clearly lactose intolerant.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Double post but I'm on mobile.

Reminds me of Frakes saying he would have done a male/male kiss if standards had allowed it.

But then a thought hit me...are Riker and Jadzia the most ardent, skilled, and lustful members of Starfleet? (I don't mean lustful like Bashir, who is just a horndog.) Can't believe I never saw the shipping possibilities there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Double post but I'm on mobile.

Reminds me of Frakes saying he would have done a male/male kiss if standards had allowed it.

But then a thought hit me...are Riker and Jadzia the most ardent, skilled, and lustful members of Starfleet? (I don't mean lustful like Bashir, who is just a horndog.) Can't believe I never saw the shipping possibilities there.

I bet Riker and Dax wouldn't even make the top ten on USS Party Ship

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Everybody knows Morn is the biggest party animal in the quadrant.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
DS9 is the horniest Trek, which is amazing considering Roddenberry had nothing to do with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's a cute thought but it can't possibly be true because Enterprise exists.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Was just watching 'I, Borg' there, and Guinan talks with Hugh saying how the Borg wiped them out.

Now, in another episode her species had deals with Q and could fight him as near/almost equals.

So why could the Borg take them over in the first place, and why isn't the Borg going for Q and not lesser things like other mortals.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Borg are super efficient. They don't mess around, if they want you they'll take you and unless you've met them before you'll have no idea what to expect. Any borg that get taken out are immediately replaced, so Guinan's powers are probably of limited use if they are only useful against single targets. Q on the other hand is not a murderer but a trickster. someone plays with you enough, you have a chance to learn how to play back just as hard. Q has no intention of killing most of his toys, so he is relatively harmless, more of a nuisance. Also her abilities may be only good at counteracting magic like Q's abilities, so wouldn't work on the borg anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Was just watching 'I, Borg' there, and Guinan talks with Hugh saying how the Borg wiped them out.

Now, in another episode her species had deals with Q and could fight him as near/almost equals.

So why could the Borg take them over in the first place, and why isn't the Borg going for Q and not lesser things like other mortals.

It's complicated and doesn't come up much because Goldberg only did 31 episodes as essentially a one-scene-per-episode guest character in most cases. But Guinan is at least 500 years old and is basically the Star Trek version of Gandalf, which is to say she has magical powers but maintains limitations on their use out of ethics/divine mandate, and most of her super power is Good Advice.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's complicated and doesn't come up much because Goldberg only did 31 episodes as essentially a one-scene-per-episode guest character in most cases. But Guinan is at least 500 years old and is basically the Star Trek version of Gandalf, which is to say she has magical powers but maintains limitations on their use out of ethics/divine mandate, and most of her super power is Good Advice.

Her Gandalfness is somewhat muted when we meet another member of her species who is an obsessed rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also even if her el-aurian juju can somehow stop Q doing Q things that doesn't necessarily mean gently caress all to the Borg

The listener species probably hates the Borg for about the same reason the Klingons hate Tribbles