Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Andrast posted:

Edelgard destroyed nearly every physical tournament even with basically no weapon skill

Edelgard is basically cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Minus Green posted:

One mechanical change I'm not crazy about in this game is the return of weapon weight without a stat that offsets it (the weight reduction skills don't count). It feels like I get doubled way more often in this game than in any other Fire Emblem, even with some of my speedier units.
Strength offsets it at a rate of 4 points of strength for 1 weapon weight. And honestly, I like it a lot. Not automatically doubling every enemy is good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Strength offsets it at a rate of 4 points of strength for 1 weapon weight. And honestly, I like it a lot. Not automatically doubling every enemy is good.

I don't like weight since it screws up the super easy doubling math.

If I have to take more than 1 second to see who doubles who it's too complicated

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Minus Green posted:

One mechanical change I'm not crazy about in this game is the return of weapon weight without a stat that offsets it (the weight reduction skills don't count). It feels like I get doubled way more often in this game than in any other Fire Emblem, even with some of my speedier units.

STR/5 reduces weight.

So if a unit has 10 STR they'll reduce weight by 2.

Andrast posted:

I don't like weight since it screws up the super easy doubling math.

If I have to take more than 1 second to see who doubles who it's too complicated

I mean the game shows you both units AS.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It certainly makes silver weapons a godssend when you get them on everyone because of their lighter weight. I really felt that upgrade, moreso than other games.

Also Marienne's paralogue is pretty wicked. A lot of surprises and I just had to kill the marked enemy to end rather than staying for exp because I was getting out matched.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Endorph posted:

Dr Pepper posted:

STR/5 reduces weight.

So if a unit has 10 STR they'll reduce weight by 2.

:sweatdrop: This goes to show how well I've been paying attention to the mechanics, I suppose.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean the game shows you both units AS.

True, I guess I'm complaining about nothing

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

She's such a good little gremlin. I'm glad I drafted her into the Black Eagles.

On another note, JESUS this game is long!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Arkeus posted:

Is there a point to do the tournaments? The rewards feels kinda bad for the AP.

a chunk of money, a semi-valuable item and professor points for one AP is a pretty good bargain. And it lets see how truly swole your units are.

:yeah:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

I just got done doing that mission (granted, on NG+) and Lysithea just blasted that rear end in a top hat into orbit. What is it with the dark mages in this game? Hubert was a magical monster, too.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

god i should have been smarter with dark spikes earlier on, instead of just waiting until the last possible death knight encounter to have felix risk a crit, and then have everyone else gang up on him until he went down

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just did that mission on run 2, never opened that chest at the top.

Oh, apparently I missed out on a movement ring. That....would've been useful on Edelguard....

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just spent the last few chapters trying to make Catherine into a Mortal Savant by raising her Faith stat thinking that was Reason for some... reason. So now I'm on Chapter 17 and trying to really burn rubber to get her some black magic so she can grind it a bit. At least she's an ok healer right now with an A in Faith. How much does a stat get from a seminar anyway? I might do that instead of my next exploration.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Just finished my black eagles game with 42 hours spoilers follow for end game.

Man that last level took absolutely forever. I helped Edelgard and I feel it was the most "Good Guy" ending although the game never told me who Flayn really was or who the slithering people are and why they killed Jeralt.
Hubert and Bernadetta married which was hilarious and Caspar/Petra did which absolutely felt like it fitted.

I picked Leoni, it was going to be Petra but her stupid way of talking kinda annoyed me. Give her a different accent. Jeez!!
The end fitted well and was nice, definitely worth the time and effort although the last battle was a LITTLE too long and I started getting anxious for it to finish

Time to be golden deer now!
I'm definitely going to focus more on authority now I understand it but gently caress it's so hard to tell if you have a poo poo battalion still, I bet I'll drop messing around with it pretty fast

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just think of Petra as Starfire from Teen Titans and you'll never hear anything else.

I found her broken english way of speaking to be quite endearing, it was much preferable to a comedy "foreign" accent which she would usually have been given.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just gambled my completion of Chapter 17 on Lysithea landing a 10% crit for 150+ damage against a boss who would kill any member of my team if they failed to one-shot him and she nailed it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got FE and any noble failson who does not perform to expectations deserves their meaningless death

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got FE and any noble failson who does not perform to expectations deserves their meaningless death

The noble failsons all have pretty good arcs

at least the ones I have seen

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

After finishing Blue Lions Chapter 11, all I wanna know is where is Dimitri’s brawling proficiency?????? Why is it I’d have to put effort into making him kill people with his bare hands like in cutscenes??????

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

Just think of Petra as Starfire from Teen Titans and you'll never hear anything else.

I found her broken english way of speaking to be quite endearing, it was much preferable to a comedy "foreign" accent which she would usually have been given.

Just make her voice actor Swedish or something.
Or do what she does in Japanese - talk sort of slowly.

A lot of the time it felt like she wasn't just confused but super literal in the way people say autistic people are, it was strange and it made her seem like they'd lost the character a but post timeskip.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

A lot of the time it felt like she wasn't just confused but super literal in the way people say autistic people are, it was strange and it made her seem like they'd lost the character a but post timeskip.

I like her as it is and both of those suggestions sound worse imo.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

doing supports that were clearly supposed to happen in part 1 is funny

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Taear posted:

Well I mean she's learning the language as she goes, I thought she was doing pretty well, adding a funny foreign accent ontop would have been really stupid, and the super literal part, yeah, that's all part of learning a new language, there's a lot of poo poo only native speakers know.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

Well I mean she's learning the language as she goes, I thought she was doing pretty well, adding a funny foreign accent ontop would have been really stupid, and the super literal part, yeah, that's all part of learning a new language, there's a lot of poo poo only native speakers know.

I mean she already has a funny foreign accent. She's american.
But it felt weird that she's just speaking the same as everyone else but being hyper literal.

Especially post timeskip.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

doing supports that were clearly supposed to happen in part 1 is funny

mighty empress edelgard walking through the monastery chatting with dorothea about their love lives

second only to inviting Edelgard into the lunch hall in full regalia to eat some soup

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played this game basically obsessively for four days in a row but now that I'm to the maps that take more than an hour to complete and have like forty enemies in them I'm sitting on the planning screen and thinking maybe I'll do this map later

I think the same thing happened to me in Awakening/Fates except my solutions were to powerlevel and just run a flying unit straight at the enemy commander to end the map in three turns

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Not automatically doubling every enemy is good.

Look at this freaking terrible opinion.

Sheesh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I played this game basically obsessively for four days in a row but now that I'm to the maps that take more than an hour to complete and have like forty enemies in them I'm sitting on the planning screen and thinking maybe I'll do this map later

Yea I did feel that way too on some maps, especially if I could deploy 12 people, they felt a bit draggy.

With some support conversions I felt like that too. I want to see them but man I've got to watch 6 or something and I'm just clicking through. Reading it, but also being glad they're over.
I'm not sure what to say about that, it's not really the game's fault but I do wish they were a bit more organic maybe, less me clicking through a menu for them

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So quick question about Edelgard's route, specifically chapter 15 is there any way to keep Seteh and Flayn alive? They are the only church members I'd feel bad killing afterall.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

So quick question about Edelgard's route, specifically chapter 15 is there any way to keep Seteh and Flayn alive? They are the only church members I'd feel bad killing afterall.

Spoiler for the same
they don't die. They just run off and send rhea a letter. Unless somehow that's different game to game? For me they ran off very explicitly.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Eimi posted:

Yes. Make sure you finish them with Byleth, that should spare them. They won't join you, they just leave.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Yes. Make sure you finish them with Byleth, that should spare them. They won't join you, they just leave.

This isn't true as I didn't beat either of them with Byleth, Bernadetta did both.
Perhaps it's down to having done their support previously?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Maybe :shrug: I originally killed Flayn with someone else then Divine Pulsed and let Byleth do it and that worked but who knows.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Taear posted:

This isn't true as I didn't beat either of them with Byleth, Bernadetta did both.
Perhaps it's down to having done their support previously?

Good to know, though I didn't do any of their supports beyond C. Still I'll try and have Byleth do the fighting.

Also is there a master list of paired endings yet? I want to make sure my ships all work.

Edie/Byleth, Hubert/Dorothea, Ferdinand/Marienne, Dorothea/Petra, Lindhardt/Caspar, Ingrid/Sylvain, Lysithea/Ignatz, and then for units I don't use, Mercedes/Annette, Manuella/Lorenz, and Shamir/Leonie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm joining blue czn I kill the other houses students pre time skip to win easier

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

Good to know, though I didn't do any of their supports beyond C. Still I'll try and have Byleth do the fighting.

Also is there a master list of paired endings yet? I want to make sure my ships all work.

Edie/Byleth, Hubert/Dorothea, Ferdinand/Marienne, Dorothea/Petra, Lindhardt/Caspar, Ingrid/Sylvain, Lysithea/Ignatz, and then for units I don't use, Mercedes/Annette, Manuella/Lorenz, and Shamir/Leonie.

I mean their paralogue, did you do that?

Edelgard and the main character can get together if Byleth is a man. The others I think you're out of luck with Lindhart and Caspar Lyndhart got with dorothea for me and Caspar with Petra.
Do a ton of meals with the two together and you might be lucky

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I mean their paralogue, did you do that?

Edelgard and the main character can get together if Byleth is a man. The others I think you're out of luck with Lindhart and Caspar Lyndhart got with dorothea for me and Caspar with Petra.
Do a ton of meals with the two together and you might be lucky

Pretty sure Edelgard works with fbyleth as well

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why is the game not about Sword Whipman in the intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted: