Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I like that when they brought Brooker back to PC Format for the 100th or 200th issue, they gave him a review of a terrible truck simulator to do and that was it. It wasn't even half a loving page

e: the 37 is a circular bus route starting and terminating in Ryde on the Isle Of Wight serving the southern "suburbs"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol why did she delete this

https://twitter.com/deletedbyMPs/status/1158109482339184647?s=20

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I like that when they brought Brooker back to PC Format for the 100th or 200th issue, they gave him a review of a terrible truck simulator to do and that was it. It wasn't even half a loving page

e: the 37 is a circular bus route starting and terminating in Ryde on the Isle Of Wight serving the southern "suburbs"

Back when I lived on the isle of wight the train was more convenient and more pleasant than the bus service. It probably wasn't much more expensive either, because I used it at least once a month for a fair while.

I wonder if its stupidly expensive now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

PC Zone, ffs. PC Format was the dull one, PC Zone the fun one with Brooker et al.

Yes I take 90s games journalism v seriously.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I remember PC Zone doing a feature where they tested the staff's ability to play games while getting increasingly drunk and one guy got disqualified because he vomited.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

I loving hate Black Mirror

because it stopped Brooker from doing Wipe

loving :agreed:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I think he gave up on Wipe because he knew he'd get loving crucified for doing centrist takes. Remember 2016 wipe when he pined for the days when people would say "meh" instead of being angry about politics? :v:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Camrath posted:

PC Zone, ffs. PC Format was the dull one, PC Zone the fun one with Brooker et al.

gently caress you're right, I read both back in the day and it all kind of blurred into one

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I felt that the episode with the guy who rages against politics and then creates a mascot who swears and it turns out he's the bad guy for being cynical gave me a sense that you might get be right :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pilchenstein posted:

I think he gave up on Wipe because he knew he'd get loving crucified for doing centrist takes. Remember 2016 wipe when he pined for the days when people would say "meh" instead of being angry about politics? :v:

but but his whole thing is pretending to be angry in every situation! it's bad though!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i enjoy frasier too, and kelsey grammer is a republican. Oh gosh.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pilchenstein posted:

tbf by staying out of politics and the public eye, by and large he's avoided doing the standard old comedian thing of turning into a vocal anti-Labour transphobe. Unless he is, of course, and I missed it.

Going to give him some personal credit though, he did get Nick Davies (of Flat Earth News) and Adam Curtis on Wipe, and that was my first introduction to any non-mainstream political thought. Sad, really

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So, this video popped up in my YouTube recommends, it’s some lovely youtuber from America who lives in London:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU_aAr3jao

But it raises an interesting concept: UK fast food/casual dining tier listing.

So come on then.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, this video popped up in my YouTube recommends, it’s some lovely youtuber from America who lives in London:

So come on then.

woah, i made it 2 seconds before i turned that poo poo off.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Brooker can't be all bad:

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/519030657503477760

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
^^^ 2014 predates the Media Meltdown Singularity though

CGI Stardust posted:

tbf by staying out of politics and the public eye, by and large he's avoided doing the standard old comedian thing of turning into a vocal anti-Labour transphobe. Unless he is, of course, and I missed it.
If his personal politics are dodgy, he's at least shown a degree of self-awareness that almost no other comedian/media personality has :v:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he just realised that modern satire needs to be more than just "angry man opposes everything" and called it a day. The only genuinely angry tv satire these days is New World Order and even that sticks a half-hearted boot into Corbyn every episode for the sake of "balance".

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

njsykora posted:

I remember PC Zone doing a feature where they tested the staff's ability to play games while getting increasingly drunk and one guy got disqualified because he vomited.

Camrath posted:

PC Gamer you bought for the news, reviews and features. PC Zone you bought for Brooker’s poo poo posts on the last page

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aidan_702 posted:

PC Gamer you bought for the news, reviews and features. PC Zone you bought for Brooker’s poo poo posts on the last page

Or you bought N64 Magazine cause you were a cool kid playing Marios and Zeldas

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pilchenstein posted:

If his personal politics are dodgy, he's at least shown a degree of self-awareness that almost no other comedian/media personality has :v:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he just realised that modern satire needs to be more than just "angry man opposes everything" and called it a day. The only genuinely angry tv satire these days is New World Order and even that sticks a half-hearted boot into Corbyn every episode for the sake of "balance".

Mash report is mostly good and lefty. I live under the assumption they got told they were too lefty and now they have to make a (clearly half-hearted) dig at Corbyn once in a while and get that bellend Geoff Norcot on, but for the most part they are genuinely angry and genuinely lefty. Nish Kumar, Rachel Parris and Greig Johnson are all decent twitter follows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

So come on then.

Who the gently caress is this guy calling the loving Co-Op a fast food chain?

WhatEvil posted:

Mash report is mostly good and lefty. I live under the assumption they got told they were too lefty and now they have to make a (clearly half-hearted) dig at Corbyn once in a while and get that bellend Geoff Norcot on, but for the most part they are genuinely angry and genuinely lefty. Nish Kumar, Rachel Parris and Greig Johnson are all decent twitter follows.

Nish Kumar is one of the reliably good co-hosts on the current Bugle too, shame all that goodwill about The Bugle becoming a showcase for non-straight white dudes gets sapped away whenever they have Matt loving Forde on to do his "WHY CAN'T ANYONE JUST COMPROMISE?" routine.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 4, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Aidan_702 posted:

Notably, PC Gamer's Brooker equivalent, John Walker who used to review all the budget tat, is a centrist dad par excellence.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pilchenstein posted:

There's something to be said for the reading of S1E2 of Black Mirror (15 Million Merits) as a resignation note; he's been recuperated by the system he was known for criticizing, so any further angry satire he makes would be fundamentally toothless, a performance of anger. Which does actually suggest some self-awareness, unlike the others.

ed: just found a PC Zone scan archive, ah the memories; X-COM Alliance preview :(

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 4, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

josh04 posted:

Notably, PC Gamer's Brooker equivalent, John Walker who used to review all the budget tat, is a centrist dad par excellence.

Also the guy who famously asked Peter Molyneux if he was a pathological liar and was quietly moved out of regular writing duties at Rock Paper Shotgun afterwards.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I haven't had a lock on twitter for a while

this was worthy of one though

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

WhatEvil posted:

Mash report is mostly good and lefty.
I've only ever seen promotional clips of that and it always seemed loving insufferable - stands to reason the BBC would pick the absolute worst, most banterish moments to promote it though :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

njsykora posted:

Also the guy who famously asked Peter Molyneux if he was a pathological liar and was quietly moved out of regular writing duties at Rock Paper Shotgun afterwards.
Didn't he found RPS? He absolutely is a total loving oval office on twitter though, last time I saw him melting down he was exclusively hounding women who replied to him, like some kind of anti-glinner :v:

Did he really do the budget section in PC Gamer though? I thought that was Jon Blyth? Edit: it was Walker, my apologies to Jon Blyth lol

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 5, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure you can get much more obvious than literally spelling out "TRUMP" in guns.

Doubtless the same crowd that doesn't like their entertainment getting "too political"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

must be coincidence, I suspect the guns fell outta the shooters bags when he was startled by a Muslim (likely also a terrorist, because brown skin coloration) and in lawful self defence shot and killed 20 civilians. hopefully he'll get a pardon and possibly a knighthood from life-president trump. god bless america

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Comrade Fakename posted:

So come on then.

Famous fast food joint, Boots

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

must be coincidence, I suspect the guns fell outta the shooters bags when he was startled by a Muslim (likely also a terrorist, because brown skin coloration) and in lawful self defence shot and killed 20 civilians. hopefully he'll get a pardon and possibly a knighthood from life-president trump. god bless america

to be clear, the image has been doing the rounds on reddit for a while, but the shooter posted it on his personal page but people, like the utter dickhead I replied to are saying "well, he didn't *make* the TRUMP IN GUNS thing so he's not all bad" defence and it's all poo poo but gently caress me, I'm still mad at twitter locking me for such a petty level of insult. If I knew what was coming, I would have gone in harder

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Camrath posted:

Zone was the best of the PC mags, and I say that as someone who worked on one of its rivals. (Similarly N64 Magazine was the best N64 mag, even though it was my mortal enemy job-wise for the better part of three years.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Famous fast food joint, Boots

Over 20% of the shelf space in the Boots nearest my office is taken up with overpriced sandwiches and soft drinks. They even have their own tills.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CGI Stardust posted:

Going to give him some personal credit though, he did get Nick Davies (of Flat Earth News) and Adam Curtis on Wipe, and that was my first introduction to any non-mainstream political thought. Sad, really

he does some really good funny/insightful stuff, it's just sometimes he falls back on going "yeah you loving cock" at the TV over and over or pretending to bully an intern awkwardly for half a minute and it's like, mate

he's had Richard Osman or whatever on before though so he's def melt-adjacent

it's good op

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

If I knew what was coming, I would have gone in harder
Live every twitter reply as if it's your last :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

baka kaba posted:

he does some really good funny/insightful stuff, it's just sometimes he falls back on going "yeah you loving cock" at the TV over and over or pretending to bully an intern awkwardly for half a minute and it's like, mate

he's had Richard Osman or whatever on before though so he's def melt-adjacent

Speaking of Osman, if you want to see a devoted centrist trying to stay firmly planted in the 'rational middle' while fully aware he's going to sound like poo poo for saying so outright listen to his episode of Sofie Hagen's podcast (which is really good). She has a recurring question where she asks guests what they'd do when the revolution happens and his answer was hilarious.

He would stay on the side of the comfortable rich people, but he swears he'd only do so to convince them to be nice to the poors.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pilchenstein posted:

I've only ever seen promotional clips of that and it always seemed loving insufferable - stands to reason the BBC would pick the absolute worst, most banterish moments to promote it though :v:

Here's a good bit worth watching.

https://twitter.com/rachelparris/status/1072447909847797761?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I like that there's people on the right side of things doing this stuff, because we need more left wing voices and perspectives basically everywhere. But I always feel like the comedy feels forced in a lot of it, to the point where it dilutes the message, and instead of biting satire you get a comfortable laugh track and people making funny faces

American shows like John Oliver's and Samantha Bee's are a lot better at this - they do some really good forensic breakdowns of issues with some real "oh poo poo" takes, but they're still beholden to the clowning for laughs thing. I remember seeing John doing one about US prisons and how heavily the system impacts black people, and you could feel the resentment at having to stop every couple minutes to go "NO BRANDON! NO! NO BRANDON, STAY IN THE CAR!" or whatever next to a photoshop

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Click the tweet. Scroll down to the uh second or third reply.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm confused they all look bad!

#gotem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

baka kaba posted:

I like that there's people on the right side of things doing this stuff, because we need more left wing voices and perspectives basically everywhere. But I always feel like the comedy feels forced in a lot of it, to the point where it dilutes the message, and instead of biting satire you get a comfortable laugh track and people making funny faces
Yeah, I'm not gonna slate them because they're clearly on the right side of that issue but it's just someone telling me things I already know while doing the occasional poo poo aside. It reminds me of that Stewart Lee line: "Was it funny? No but I agreed the gently caress out of it".