Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taear posted:

How do I learn this in game?
Some of Flayn and Seteth's supports hint at it - Seteth/Hanneman is one that comes to mind - and there's a late game paralogue on the Golden Deer route that gets into their backstory if you have them fight the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

Some of Flayn and Seteth's supports hint at it - Seteth/Hanneman is one that comes to mind - and there's a late game paralogue on the Golden Deer route that gets into their backstory if you have them fight the boss.

Specifically, Leonie/Lindhart paralogue spoilers

The boss is Saint Indech.

Who is Flayn's uncle and Seteth's brother. I'm not sure if we ever find out anything about Saint Mahuitl? But Cethleann/Cichol/Indech are all accounted for.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who is Flayn's uncle and Seteth's brother. I'm not sure if we ever find out anything about Saint Mahuitl? But Cethleann/Cichol/Indech are all accounted for.

claude paralogue spoilers

you fight a feral dragon with macuil's crest, and it's suspected that dragon might have been macuil gone feral, but that's where it drops off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macuil shows up in Claude's post-timeskip paralogue. And Seteth mentions Indech some in his Bernadetta support, unsure if he or Flayn have any where they talk about Macuil.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, huh, are certification exam locked and loading the save 20 times does nothing? Because I have been loading the save a lot and I can't get it.

PantsBandit posted:

Manuela/Hanneman paralogue: have had to restart this one a couple times, not sure what I should be doing. Manuela inevitably gets swarmed by enemies on the 3rd turn and I can't reach the commander in time, even speed-boosted. Any tips?
Beside what the others said, make sure that you don't trigger the enemy with her in the first turn. Flyers only go after Manuella once the boss sees one of your unit going up iirc. There is a route to the right where you can go up to meet her. If you have stride/fast movement chars you can easily kill most of the enemies below that would be an issue.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Taear posted:

Run her down the hill, she'll get attacked but you'll get to her in time. Don't stop on the heal thing. That's how I did it.
Easily the hardest fight for me in the game!!

This did the trick, thanks!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The seed doesn't seem to reset for certification exams. You have to wait til the next opportunity to try again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arkeus posted:

So, huh, are certification exam locked and loading the save 20 times does nothing? Because I have been loading the save a lot and I can't get it.

You can't save scum exams as they seem to be pre-rolled. You can however save before an exam, see if the character will pass it and then just reload and not do it if you fail.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Beside what the others said, make sure that you don't trigger the enemy with her in the first turn. Flyers only go after Manuella once the boss sees one of your unit going up iirc. There is a route to the right where you can go up to meet her. If you have stride/fast movement chars you can easily kill most of the enemies below that would be an issue.

The results of the exams are rolled at the start of each month, so you can't save scum them. The game does however, let you save before the month rolls over, after the mission that ends each month. So you can reload that, skip the cutscenes between the mission end and the new month and try again. Or you can just reload after seeing the failure and not waste the seal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Taear posted:

Related, about Flayn
Is the main characters mother the final one or was Flayns mother one? It's such a weird thing you never find out about, at least in black eagles.

The only other game which is as different as this for different choices is the Witcher 2 and I think it's impressive that this has done the same - it felt so ambitious then and it still feels that way.

re:Flayn.
I haven't seen anything explicitly confirming that, but tons of things hint at it:

Flayn's birthday is St. Cethleann day. Her age is ???

Seteth birthday is St. Cichol day. His age is ???

Flayn doesn't change in appearance after the timeskip, despite being one of the youngest-looking characters.

Their family relationship matches that of the saints.

The sacred site of St. Cichol is Seteth wive's grave.

They have the corresponding crests (which isn't that big of deal since Jeralt has a major crest of Seiros)

In a quest where you meet another Saint in its beast form it startd calling her Ceth- until she interrupts it... calling it "uncle" in the mean time.

In her A support, she points out that having green hair and eyes is meaningful. In his support, he talks about the main lead being "family".

In one of her supports -- with Ignatz may be? --- he is wondering about St. Cethleann and she rattles off a whole bunch of stuff from her biography that's totally unlike anything in official doctrine.

Edit: I am bad at Se- names.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm only three hours in and figured they're all dragons because they look kinda like Tiki and the green haired child does not talk at all like a child so I put two and two together lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, spoilers for the same stuff we've been discussing, but

If you look at her concept art, she has pointed ears like Sothis behind her hair.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Eimi posted:

Good to know, though I didn't do any of their supports beyond C. Still I'll try and have Byleth do the fighting.

Also is there a master list of paired endings yet? I want to make sure my ships all work.

Edie/Byleth, Hubert/Dorothea, Ferdinand/Marienne, Dorothea/Petra, Lindhardt/Caspar, Ingrid/Sylvain, Lysithea/Ignatz, and then for units I don't use, Mercedes/Annette, Manuella/Lorenz, and Shamir/Leonie.

I got a paired ending for both Linhardt/Caspar and Petra/Dorothea but also I didn't get a choice of which A supports would lead to epilogues

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Taear posted:

Related, about Flayn
Is the main characters mother the final one or was Flayns mother one? It's such a weird thing you never find out about, at least in black eagles.

The only other game which is as different as this for different choices is the Witcher 2 and I think it's impressive that this has done the same - it felt so ambitious then and it still feels that way.

If you mean their identities as the Saints, they explicitly say it in Flayn and Seteth's A support, but both Claude and Ignatz's supports with Flayn make it... not subtle.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

The results of the exams are rolled at the start of each month, so you can't save scum them. The game does however, let you save before the month rolls over, after the mission that ends each month. So you can reload that, skip the cutscenes between the mission end and the new month and try again. Or you can just reload after seeing the failure and not waste the seal.

i thought they were rolled by week? like i had someone fail one exam one week, then the next week they got it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Flayn and Setheth Rogan aside, is it ever said who Byleth's mom was?

As far as I recall she was a "nun" and Rhea was all like "she was my . . . " and Jeralt in no uncertain terms kept it vague, so...

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kiranamos posted:

Where do you get the vegetable needed for cooking the goddess fish meal?

I am also interested in the answer to this question.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gamerofthegame posted:

Flayn and Setheth Rogan aside, is it ever said who Byleth's mom was?

As far as I recall she was a "nun" and Rhea was all like "she was my . . . " and Jeralt in no uncertain terms kept it vague, so...

You only learn the details about that in the church route, where Rhea spills all the beans about your true ancestry in the cutscenes and Rhea's supports. Even in the Golden Deer route, Rhea's still has some lies of omission. If you want the real truth about the church, you need to side with the church.

But to summarize, Rhea is your grandmother, Rhea is your adopted grandmother, and Rhea is your daughter, and the Church route really pushes you to S-Support Rhea, romantically.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dedue and Annette strong front runners for King and Queen of Murder Mountain

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

psy_wombats posted:

Just beat Blue Lions route, about 60 hours because I spend way too much time dicking around in menus and optimizing loadouts

Kind of disappointed with the direction the story took. I know I really shouldn't expect too much depth out of a Fire Emblem plotline but the character writing had me hopeful. Dimitri's come-to-Jesus moment is pretty unconvincing and then the rest of the game from that point on becomes every other FE beat-the-evil-empire plot. And it really had that feeling of being a sidestory or alternate route sort of thing... None of the major questions answered, no clear motives.

I guess it's pretty clear BEagle route is the "real" story though so I'm glad I didn't start with them, at least.

Those last couple maps of part 2 were really fun gameplay-wise though, the latter half really ramped up the difficulty.

I'm not sure there really is a "real" story, honestly. For one thing, the Black Eagles "follow Edelgard" route is notably shorter than every other route, and there are really important plot revelations you'll only get if you play either the Church route or the Golden Deer. Some of those story questions you had that didn't get answered? They might be the ones Golden Deer or the Church route answer. Black Eagles and Blue Lions routes are mostly concerned with each other rather than the larger plot implications.

I thought the same at first, but after playing Golden Deer and reading more about the other routes, it doesn't really seem like there's a "real" or "canon" story at all.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably recommend a playing order of like Blue Lions > Black Eagles Chaos route > Golden Deer > Black Eagles Neutral route (just because that's the order that seems to most naturally and gradually open up the plot details)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 5, 2019

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Dpulex posted:

That's kind of the problem. Even on hard the difficulty is braindead with all the options. There is zero strategy in the gameplay and your choices rarely have any meaningful impact. There are legit criticisms with how boring the strategy part of this strategy rpg is.

The (relative, because I'm sure there's plenty of people who haven't played most FE games to death already playing this) lack of difficulty on Normal/Hard wouldn't bother me as much if there were higher difficulty settings in the base game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dpulex posted:

That's kind of the problem. Even on hard the difficulty is braindead with all the options. There is zero strategy in the gameplay and your choices rarely have any meaningful impact. There are legit criticisms with how boring the strategy part of this strategy rpg is.

I'm definitely looking forward to Lunatic, although I will say that the difficulty took a pretty sharp spike early in part 2 and I'm dreading how rough that'll be on Lunatic.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chapter 12 BE-C had silver weapons and suddenly it was a very different game on normal as turns out my defense were not as good as I had hoped.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

golden bubble posted:

But to summarize, Rhea is your grandmother, Rhea is your adopted grandmother, and Rhea is your daughter, and the Church route really pushes you to S-Support Rhea, romantically.

Speaking of creepy romance dynamics in Fire Emblem games, dating the person who's carrying around your mother's consciousness has gotta pretty high up there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

OddObserver posted:

re:Flayn.
I haven't seen anything explicitly confirming that, but tons of things hint at it:

Flayn's birthday is St. Cethleann day. Her age is ???

Seteth birthday is St. Cichol day. His age is ???

Flayn doesn't change in appearance after the timeskip, despite being one of the youngest-looking characters.

Their family relationship matches that of the saints.

The sacred site of St. Cichol is Seteth wive's grave.

They have the corresponding crests (which isn't that big of deal since Jeralt has a major crest of Seiros)

In a quest where you meet another Saint in its beast form it startd calling her Ceth- until she interrupts it... calling it "uncle" in the mean time.

In her A support, she points out that having green hair and eyes is meaningful. In his support, he talks about the main lead being "family".

In one of her supports -- with Ignatz may be? --- he is wondering about St. Cethleann and she rattles off a whole bunch of stuff from her biography that's totally unlike anything in official doctrine.

Edit: I am bad at Se- names.

re: Jeralt, he has the crest of Seiros because he got an infusion of dragon blood. Hence his lack of aging.

The only stuff I haven't picked up on is the stuff from the Church route, but I'm spoiling myself on that because I could not stomach siding with Rhea.

https://twitter.com/Saber_Says/status/1158143072221483009

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Speaking of creepy romance dynamics in Fire Emblem games, dating the person who's carrying around your mother's consciousness has gotta pretty high up there.

everything about rhea seemed creepy and gaslighty as poo poo in the first half of the game anyway so can't say it doesn't follow a pattern

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

claude paralogue spoilers

you fight a feral dragon with macuil's crest, and it's suspected that dragon might have been macuil gone feral, but that's where it drops off

Am I crazy? I’ve only done Claude’s paralogue out of those two and Macuil definitely wasn’t feral and also had the conversation about being Flayn’s uncle if you have her fight him.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It means siding with Edelgard over the church.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It's the one where you side with Edelgard, yes.
In order to unlock it, you need to be in the Black Eagles house and talk to Edelgard in February, immediately before the timeskip. She'll ask you to go on a trip with her, it'll throw up some very big "THIS WILL CHANGE THE STORY" warnings. At the end of the next battle (ie end of February) the game will give you another choice; this, too, throws up a big "THIS WILL CHANGE THE STORY" warning. Normally there's only one option, but going on Edelgard's little errand opens up the second one. Either way, it's kinda an obvious choice so as long as you remember to talk to Edelgard you should be fine.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I wanted to talk about the plot and didn't want to assume which path is which and barf out spoilers for another route.

Since I went with Edelgard and went Law anyway. I really like that route. Unfortunately I didn't keep up with the pre-release hype and tricked myself into thinking there would be similar 'law' routes for the Lions and Deer, the fact that there aren't is mildly disappointing, but I generally like what I got anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hunt11 posted:

You can't save scum exams as they seem to be pre-rolled. You can however save before an exam, see if the character will pass it and then just reload and not do it if you fail.

Frankly they should've just made it not cost a seal if you fail the exam. That way you wouldn't have to load at all.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

everything about rhea is either vaguely sinister or :japan: ~anime~ :japan:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im on the Edelgarde route and the maps have been a weird combination of relatively simple but also impossible. There's a map where like 80% of the enemies on the map will transform into demons, but each enemy transforms on a set turn so if you can run through the map hunting down the one who transforms you can avoid the whole thing. Then, on the flipside, the general on the map is loving impossible and I only killed them thanks to a crit and I'm genuinely not sure how I could have finished it without rewinding time to fish for a critical hit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thordain posted:

I got a paired ending for both Linhardt/Caspar and Petra/Dorothea but also I didn't get a choice of which A supports would lead to epilogues

For non-Byleth units its determined by their total support points. You can see on their status screen the list of the 3 people they have the most support points with, whoever is at the top of the list is who they'll get a paired ending with if eligible (ie they have an A rank and the other person doesn't already have another paired ending).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zore posted:

For non-Byleth units its determined by their total support points. You can see on their status screen the list of the 3 people they have the most support points with, whoever is at the top of the list is who they'll get a paired ending with if eligible (ie they have an A rank and the other person doesn't already have another paired ending).

Do they have to be at the top, or if Byleth is at the top, but I'm dating Edelgard, it'll default to them being together?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

Do they have to be at the top, or if Byleth is at the top, but I'm dating Edelgard, it'll default to them being together?

Yeah that works, its a priority system.

Byleth also isn't really even part of it since the only paired endings you can get have to be specifically triggered by getting an S rank via event at the end of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im on the Edelgarde route and the maps have been a weird combination of relatively simple but also impossible. There's a map where like 80% of the enemies on the map will transform into demons, but each enemy transforms on a set turn so if you can run through the map hunting down the one who transforms you can avoid the whole thing. Then, on the flipside, the general on the map is loving impossible and I only killed them thanks to a crit and I'm genuinely not sure how I could have finished it without rewinding time to fish for a critical hit.

I actually had to reload that map because I got a bunch of people cornered by the boss reinforcements, and they were all horse-riders so they couldn't really get away in time with all the bad terrain. I ended up running out of rewinds trying to keep everyone alive. But I honestly have no idea what you mean by the "impossible" general. No one in that map individually felt that strong to me.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Clarste posted:

I actually had to reload that map because I got a bunch of people cornered by the boss reinforcements, and they were all horse-riders so they couldn't really get away in time with all the bad terrain. But I honestly have no idea what you mean by the "impossible" general. No one in that map felt that strong to me.

Dimitri would one-shot any unit I had with a counterattack, so I absolutely had to kill him in a single shot, but no one I had could do it. Lysithea was 3 damage off of a one-shot even after a magic rally and a Special Dance. Also all the reinforcements leave if you can beat Rheaso as long as you know they're coming you can totally avoid fighting them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gambits

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

That chapter took a full hour for me, and I really loved the challenge of balancing all the monsters with my remaining gambits to try and kill them in a single turn, because I never got to any of them in time. The boss was a relief after all of that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My gambits all had like a 20% hit rate. I had like two people with the sword skill that prevents counterattacks but they both missed their 40% hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

any advice for Petra and Bernie's paralogue? The poo poo gets crazy once I get past a certain line and Catherine comes in with a mountain of reinforcements