Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got really frustrated by the tutorial because it was demanding that I raise ships and attack over water while I was still defending at home. I'll give it another whirl.

To be honest the whole boat part of the tutorial is useful basically only once and certainly not on a first playthrough as boats can almost be completely ignored. The only time they are truly and absolutely relevant is if you want to crusade. Otherwise, many gaps can be crossed simply by walking across. English Channel aside.

However, they also roll the whole strong claim CB thing in there too which is useful. I like playing the tutorial from time to time because I like knowing my character will die at a prescribed point. I always try to give my kid the best head start I can.

E: Boats, in case any other newcomers else wants to know: Each Individual Boat can carry 100 soldiers. Just treat them like an army and group them and then walk your army into it.

If you call Vassal levies you pay no maintenance.

If you select one boat, and then click and drag while holding shift, you’ll select only boats.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blimpkin posted:

To be honest the whole boat part of the tutorial is useful basically only once and certainly not on a first playthrough as boats can almost be completely ignored. The only time they are truly and absolutely relevant is if you want to crusade. Otherwise, many gaps can be crossed simply by walking across. English Channel aside.
Oh, okay. Trying to embark was driving me loving insane, and then I didn't take the canaries and the tutorial gave up on me.

e: Oh, good, you can get syphilis AND herpes. Talk about historical accuracy....

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, okay. Trying to embark was driving me loving insane, and then I didn't take the canaries and the tutorial gave up on me.

e: Oh, good, you can get syphilis AND herpes. Talk about historical accuracy....

Yeah, even still I try to embark and fail and have to figure out why. Just shift highlight all your boats and send them to one port, you have to click on the friendly port specifically for them to dock, group, and embark the troops.

If you’re in enemy lands you have to hover over the boats until the mouse icon changes to a kind of naval flag, and then your troops will embark.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Got all the DLC from the humble bundle, so playing my first game.

Playing as the Swedes, ol' Ragnar lothbrook in tyool 788.

Is there a button somewhere that displays all your vassal relations? It's kinda confusing like who "owns" what.

Also I've got some real turd provinces for my demesne, how do I steal the good ones from my vassals? Revoke and then ??

Any tips for vikings? I finally research stupid boat technology so I can raid further afield. So far just wandering around the Baltic coast stealing everything and building new building (just found out you can build buildings by clicking in two different places....)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there a button somewhere that displays all your vassal relations? It's kinda confusing like who "owns" what.

Also I've got some real turd provinces for my demesne, how do I steal the good ones from my vassals? Revoke and then ??

Any tips for vikings? I finally research stupid boat technology so I can raid further afield. So far just wandering around the Baltic coast stealing everything and building new building (just found out you can build buildings by clicking in two different places....)

If you go to your character, there is a tab underneath for Vassals. This shows all of your direct vassals. If you click on one of them, they will have a tab for vassals as well, and you can look at their vassals. Also their family, which is often important.

You can revoke, but if you go to the ledger (in the lower left) you will find possible inheritances. You could be next in line to inherit, in which case you can kill them if it's easier. I'm pretty sure revoking just gives you the title directly, but I rarely do it so I'm not sure.

Best places to raid are around the English Channel IIRC. North coast of France, south coast of England. I always found the Brittany area easiest, they are smaller kingdoms with rich land that can't put up much of a fight. However, if you're alright with starting over, the 867 is usually better as the Age of Vikings starts soon after, which gives you a large naval advantage if I remember the event correctly.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Well we all have Mid 2015 i7 MBPs so I'll give it another go. It crashed so quickly that I figured it was one of those "Oh, the Mac version" things, as the base game is pretty old by now.

At home its no big deal, I can use steam in-home streaming to stream it off my gaming PC, but I have a 90 min each direction train commute so my library is full of single player laptop games and it'd be neat to get working.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hope that you get a reason to imprison them (spymaster can help to find out if they are plotting something).
-> Try to imprison them and hope that it fails
-> They will revolt
-> Beat them in a war
-> You're allowed to revoke one province without tyranny penalty

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

charity rereg posted:

At home its no big deal, I can use steam in-home streaming to stream it off my gaming PC, but I have a 90 min each direction train commute so my library is full of single player laptop games and it'd be neat to get working.
Does that actually work? I had assumed it, like other Steam features, was only half-assed. If it works, that makes my life much simpler.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is the Sigurdr Old Gods start a lot harder now? The last two times I've done it Siggy's died within a year of start, both times of ill health (at like 30 or whatever his start age is) and then everyone hates baby ragnar and assassinates him after a few years.

The third time Ringo stayed alive long enough to have a second son and I loaded up Ragnar with concubines and had like 12 kids, most of them girls but enough boy-children to avoid a game over. Now to survive 10 years and set inheritance to ag-cog, but those first two wipeouts were really frustrating.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

edit edit: Is there any reason I want a Paradox account? I mean, I have more than enough forums. Unless they occasionally drop free DLC or coupons or something, I'd just as soon skip.

I'm pretty sure they have actually given out a couple of free cosmetic DLCs to people with Paradox accounts (you'd have to link your license key/Steam account to it too I think, so that it knows you have the game registered to that account) but that's only happened once or twice, so it's not really a big deal either way.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got this from Humble Bundle and read through some tutorials. Is there a particular LP or whatnot I should read to get the best out of this game?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

pokie posted:

I got this from Humble Bundle and read through some tutorials. Is there a particular LP or whatnot I should read to get the best out of this game?

I don't know dick about LPs but this is pretty drat comprehensive: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

I learned by basically diving in and loving up, a lot. And then asking questions and here and reading the wiki and figuring out just how I had hosed up.

No matter what you do, we definitely want to read stories about your first time encountering various crazy/funny/hosed up poo poo.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I just died to a 1% chance and inherited into a sickly 0 year old girl.

This character is destined for greatness, I can feel it.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Various Meat Products posted:

Those long reign bonuses.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

kill you're regen

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I don't know dick about LPs but this is pretty drat comprehensive: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

I learned by basically diving in and loving up, a lot. And then asking questions and here and reading the wiki and figuring out just how I had hosed up.

No matter what you do, we definitely want to read stories about your first time encountering various crazy/funny/hosed up poo poo.

Haha, sure, I will post that when it arises. And I am sure the wiki is great - I just like learning from something less dry than the wiki, which is more of a reference source than a guide. But gently caress it, let's jump in. I've always been fascinated with India, and I think I have the respective expansion, so let's try that...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

pokie posted:

Haha, sure, I will post that when it arises. And I am sure the wiki is great - I just like learning from something less dry than the wiki, which is more of a reference source than a guide. But gently caress it, let's jump in. I've always been fascinated with India, and I think I have the respective expansion, so let's try that...

India is kind of its own beast, it may be a bit confusing. It's generally recommended that you start off as a feudal catholic, the usual being Ireland in 1066, though I'm not too fond of that start myself.

But if you wanna dive right into india lemme know what start date and realm you choose to play and I can give you a rundown on how their religion/government and poo poo works. Most indians have some quirks because of their religion/culture.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

pokie posted:

Yeah same. I kinda did the tutorial for a bit but honestly didn't finish it. Kinda looked around the map for who I thought would be fun and picked a random Nordic dude.

Denmark seemed okay. Started as them and my king banged some dudes wife and got her preggers. When the kid was born I acknowledged him as a big gently caress you to this guy.

Then I mouse over the guy and it says opinion [-100 cuckold].

So made him my court jester too.

Turns out the dude was my uncle? So I hosed my aunt??

Then all my vassals start get real mad saying I'm a coward because apparently I was supposed to be raiding for plunder.

Whatever, I'll start a war show them who the coward is!

None of them joined the war and I got dunked.

Restarted as Sweden and things are going pretty well even though I did the earliest start and f'in France is gigantic and I have 3 boats.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah same. I kinda did the tutorial for a bit but honestly didn't finish it. Kinda looked around the map for who I thought would be fun and picked a random Nordic dude.

Denmark seemed okay. Started as them and my king banged some dudes wife and got her preggers. When the kid was born I acknowledged him as a big gently caress you to this guy.

Then I mouse over the guy and it says opinion [-100 cuckold].

So made him my court jester too.

Turns out the dude was my uncle? So I hosed my aunt??

Then all my vassals start get real mad saying I'm a coward because apparently I was supposed to be raiding for plunder.

Whatever, I'll start a war show them who the coward is!

None of them joined the war and I got dunked.

Restarted as Sweden and things are going pretty well even though I did the earliest start and f'in France is gigantic and I have 3 boats.

Pick on your fellow nords. Your goal should be to get 3/5 germanic pagan holy sites (click the religion map view and select a germanic territory and you should see the holy site locations in white, you prolly already have one as sweden). Once you have 3/5 holy sites you need the germanic pagan religion to have 50 moral authority and you personally have to have 750 piety. Those two can be achieved by winning conquest wars against infidels and sacking infidel churches/temples via raiding. Once you've got all this you can reform the germanic pagan faith into a no-poo poo church! And this will eventually allow you to go feudal/become a merchant republic and stop dealing with loving gavelkind succession.

Alternatively, world is a gently caress, stay tribal pagan and revel in the thunderdome of war :shrug:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I've ordered the CK board game, seeing as that has now become available for the general public. But I'm just wondering; is anyone here able to tell me what dimension sleeves fit its cards? I've got a bunch of FFG and some Mayday sleeves, so I'm hoping I can use some of my leftovers to sleeve the CKBG cards.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

Alright well, I've ordered the CK board game, seeing as that has now become available for the general public. But I'm just wondering; is anyone here able to tell me what dimension sleeves fit its cards? I've got a bunch of FFG and some Mayday sleeves, so I'm hoping I can use some of my leftovers to sleeve the CKBG cards.

I'm sorry but you can only get sleeves if you're on the Silk Road.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I'm sorry but you can only get sleeves if you're on the Silk Road.

Dammit, but I've started all the way over here in Navarre! :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pick on your fellow nords. Your goal should be to get 3/5 germanic pagan holy sites (click the religion map view and select a germanic territory and you should see the holy site locations in white, you prolly already have one as sweden). Once you have 3/5 holy sites you need the germanic pagan religion to have 50 moral authority and you personally have to have 750 piety. Those two can be achieved by winning conquest wars against infidels and sacking infidel churches/temples via raiding. Once you've got all this you can reform the germanic pagan faith into a no-poo poo church! And this will eventually allow you to go feudal/become a merchant republic and stop dealing with loving gavelkind succession.

Alternatively, world is a gently caress, stay tribal pagan and revel in the thunderdome of war :shrug:

No clue there were holy sites. Luckily the gavelkind didn't gently caress me for my first ruler, who owned, since ended up with only 2 sons. Murdered not-Ragnar and re-conquered his stuff pretty quick, but with a load of sons I can see how it would suck.

I think I hosed up raising Ragnor Lothbrook though? Like his stats seem sorta poo poo compared to his dad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I do not like the black death.

The black death does not like me.

I had 5 kings in my empire of my blood.

3 of the 5 were wiped out to the point of going to non-my dynasty.

2 are ruled by children.

Most of my realm is majorly depopulated. My capital is only minorly, but i went from +140 a month to -8 a month

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pokie posted:

The beginning of Kersh's somewhat out-of-date LP was very helpful to me, because it explains all the million widgets on the screen.

https://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

I wish more people still did screenshot LPs. They're so much more work, but also easier to follow.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Nope, cancer at 14 lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

No clue there were holy sites. Luckily the gavelkind didn't gently caress me for my first ruler, who owned, since ended up with only 2 sons. Murdered not-Ragnar and re-conquered his stuff pretty quick, but with a load of sons I can see how it would suck.

I think I hosed up raising Ragnor Lothbrook though? Like his stats seem sorta poo poo compared to his dad.

He's usually got pretty bitchin' martial.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KittyEmpress posted:

I do not like the black death.

The black death does not like me.

I had 5 kings in my empire of my blood.

3 of the 5 were wiped out to the point of going to non-my dynasty.

2 are ruled by children.

Most of my realm is majorly depopulated. My capital is only minorly, but i went from +140 a month to -8 a month

Yeah that's the Black Death for you. As soon as it appears anywhere on the map you basically need to shut the gates and not open them again until it's gone. Having built up a high level hospital on your capital will help, but ultimately you're gonna get hit (unless you're in one of the areas it can potentially bypass, although there's a bit of randomness here so don't count on it).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

On the plus side (kinda), there's a couple cool events associated with the Black Death.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

In the tutorial I kept getting battle results for fights outside my realm I am not involved in where one party is missing a leader. I am not sure what to make of them.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The beginning of Kersh's somewhat out-of-date LP was very helpful to me, because it explains all the million widgets on the screen.

https://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

I wish more people still did screenshot LPs. They're so much more work, but also easier to follow.

I vaguely remember reading this long ago. Hasn't a lot changed since TYOOL 2012?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

pokie posted:

In the tutorial I kept getting battle results for fights outside my realm I am not involved in where one party is missing a leader. I am not sure what to make of them.

I vaguely remember reading this long ago. Hasn't a lot changed since TYOOL 2012?

oh yeah a lot has changed heh, but then some poo poo is still the same. The basic routine for getting claims via forging/marriage/landing people with claims then pressing them that everybody needs to learn hasn't really changed in a good long while. And while you can get somewhat detailed with combat if you choose, plenty of people do okay by your dudes and smashing them against the enemy's dudes before they can get organized (preferably without attacking across the river). Little basic things like that are more or less the same.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Welp Ragnar Lothbrook got cancer and they cut his face off. Luckily an heir popped out right just before!

Also Ragnar was fighting a battle while his "doctor" was covering him in leeches etc.

Welp Ragnar died berserking in battle like a bum and now my mom is in charge.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Welp Ragnar died berserking in battle like a true viking.

:colbert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

charity rereg posted:

Does anyone successfully play this game on a Mac? I bought the humble bundle & was trying to play on my 15" Macbook Pro and having some issues installing DLC (failed to install, application configuration errors) but eventually got it all to show up. I launched a game, started playing and the first time I tried to marry someone (OK, the second, I got rejected :smith:) the game hard crashed to desktop.

When I launched it gave a pop-up about not being optimized for my Mac & to contact the developer, so I haven't tried to play again, is it a known thing that the Mac version sucks?

I played for a couple of years on a 2014 Macbook Air, and now it also runs just fine for me on a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm playing it quite cheerfully on my mid-2015 (why can't Apple do actual product numbers why why) Macbook pro.

Because Steve Jobs hated product names, and Apple kept with it even after he killed himself. It's stupid, but that was basically Jobs' entire shtick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Major Isoor posted:

FFG Grey for the 155 Actions cards, FFG Yellow for the 149 Character and Develop cards.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

FFG Grey for the 155 Actions cards, FFG Yellow for the 149 Character and Develop cards.

Ah excellent, thanks for that! I've definitely got a bunch of yellows and I'm almost certain I've got a heap of greys, so that works out well!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It feels like I'm having a lot more trouble forging claims than I used to, has that changed? Am I supposed to be using border wars more now that they exist? In my last game I think I got like, one claim in 25 years spanning 3 kings or something like that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wezlar posted:

It feels like I'm having a lot more trouble forging claims than I used to, has that changed? Am I supposed to be using border wars more now that they exist? In my last game I think I got like, one claim in 25 years spanning 3 kings or something like that.

Forging claims is all up to the rng. Try moving your chancellor around, though, in case he was bribed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

charity rereg posted:

Does anyone successfully play this game on a Mac? I bought the humble bundle & was trying to play on my 15" Macbook Pro and having some issues installing DLC (failed to install, application configuration errors) but eventually got it all to show up. I launched a game, started playing and the first time I tried to marry someone (OK, the second, I got rejected :smith:) the game hard crashed to desktop.

When I launched it gave a pop-up about not being optimized for my Mac & to contact the developer, so I haven't tried to play again, is it a known thing that the Mac version sucks?

I play on a Mac Mini from 2012 most of the time. Seems to run just as fine as on the $500 Acer laptop with windows 10 I got a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does that actually work? I had assumed it, like other Steam features, was only half-assed. If it works, that makes my life much simpler.

I've used it for other games no problem, haven't tried it with CK2 but doubt it'll be an issue. I don't know if you could play an incredibly fast-twitch game like Rocket League, but you're talking 2-3ms of lag so probably.

I just sign into both computers and it says "BIG HONKIN GAMING DESKTOP is available for streaming" all the time. I think I did it with Factorio? I can't recall, but it worked great. My old apartment was too small for the gaming PC/desk so I sort of used it like a server running in the corner for a bit. If I recall it's basically just like any other remote desktop solution.

But I inherited this 2015 MBP from work (and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands :colbert:) and it runs all of my single player games like a champ.

Anyway the game has been stolen from me, we have Steam Family Share set up and my wife started a game last night, I woke up at 4:30 am to her playing in bed muttering about a stupid brother trying to kill her heir. :v:

edit: She literally just texted me about her gay heir with chaste wife who keep popping out kids. I see another $15 bundle in our future.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 5, 2019