Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

my understanding is that kashmir is basically being stripped of all autonomy and self-determination in the name of settler colonialism and the attendant cultural genocide

this is good if you're a hindu nationalist (like most modi supporters)

this is bad if you're kashmiri/muslim, dislike authoritarianism, or also if you dislike the prospect of a possibly-nuclear war between india and pakistan

wonder why they decided to just fuckin go for it now of all times. because the election is over i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Feranon posted:

wonder why they decided to just fuckin go for it now of all times. because the election is over i guess?
that's a pretty safe assumption. not only was the predicted decline of BJP completely wrong, they gained more seats, and with that comes louder shouts from hindu nationalists

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Love living in the timeline where the biggest fascist movement in the world is a nuclear power #sayyestowar

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God India sucks

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

God India sucks

Jai Hind

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Feranon posted:

my understanding is that kashmir is basically being stripped of all autonomy and self-determination in the name of settler colonialism and the attendant cultural genocide

this is bad if you're kashmiri/muslim, dislike authoritarianism, or also if you dislike the prospect of a possibly-nuclear war between india and pakistan

The economy is in the shitter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here's a fun liveblog

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/jammu-kashmir-news-live-amit-shah-to-address-parliament-on-jammy-and-kashmir/liveblog/70529047.cms

quote:

Unfortunate that Article 370 is being converted into liberal vs conservative debate. Parties should put aside ideological fixations and debate what’s best for India’s sovereignty, peace in J&K, jobs for Kashmiri youth and justice for Kashmiri Pandits

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

The economy is in the shitter
hmmm whose fault might that be, i wonder

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

the perfidious pashtun

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

nah, America is trying to align with India in a effort to build a bulwark around China, which is why the western media has been respectful of the Indian government rampaging through Kashmir, shutting down telecommunications, and arresting local political leaders.

India is never gonna be a "bulwark against China" though.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"But that's a dumb idea, it'll never work" has never stopped american foreign policy before

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
US foreign policy is pretty decently summed up by: "Disaster! Do it again."

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
#Article370revoked was near the top of the trending charts on Twitter for me this morning. Hindu nationalists are ecstatic.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
holy poo poo they're just going for it what the gently caress. this is gonna "end" so badly

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's the groundsman at Old Trafford's fault, as he prepared a slow wicket that suited New Zealand's bowlers better than India's in the CWC semi-final

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Feranon posted:

i donno about all that, there were mass expulsions of hindus from kashmir within living memory. also there are plenty of areas that are pro-union to begin with. that doesnt make it not a terrible idea motivated by hindu nationalism

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Aug 6, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't tell that to State Department and other serious "policy wonk" types:

quote:

Equally tellingly, the January document observes that the United States intends to invest in a “long-term strategic partnership” with India in order that New Delhi might serve as a “regional economic anchor and provider of security in the broader Indian Ocean region.” This is not mere rhetoric, not when one considers that none of Washington’s other major Asian partners are even mentioned in this document – nary a sentence for Japan, Korea, Australia or Indonesia. As Clinton recently wrote, “the United States is making a strategic bet on India’s future.”

It's one of those fever dream ideas like CENTO and SEATO that will probably work out as well. The sky is the limit when you are given a blank check by congress and there is no accountability whatsoever for whatever fuckups might happen on your watch.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

reportedly Bolton and Pompeo actually did their jobs as imperial stewards during the last flair up between India and Pakistan, and claim to have helped deescalate the situation

India is like the one country Trump's administration seems to be consistently trying to have good relations with

this is like some 1930s fascist poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from the times of india's live updates

quote:

Locals feel the change was well planned and feel sufficiently reassured by statements and actions of Centre, sources say

lol

edit lmao https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/amid-gloom-in-valley-for-many-kashmiris-its-time-for-a-hurrah/articleshow/70545168.cms

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah this is gonna get bad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jesus

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If India and Pakistan did decide to lob nukes at each other would the rest of the world just wait until it was over?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jose posted:

If India and Pakistan did decide to lob nukes at each other would the rest of the world just wait until it was over?

is there another option?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

There's a non-trivial chance that everyone nukes everyone else because they can't take the chance that all of the nukes ever launched are only targeted at India and Pakistan

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a non-trivial chance that everyone nukes everyone else because they can't take the chance that all of the nukes ever launched are only targeted at India and Pakistan
I’ve played all the Fallouts except 76, I’ll be fine.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
jai hind, fellow gamer

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jaiboot

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OhFunny posted:

#Article370revoked was near the top of the trending charts on Twitter for me this morning. Hindu nationalists are ecstatic.
if far-right governments across the world were as good at manipulating Twitter as the BJP is, we'd be even more hosed than we already are

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Jose posted:

the economic and ecological effects of a nuclear war between india and pakistan would prolly get billions of people killed and cause a massive worldwide depression

who knows whether everyone else would sit it out or shoot their wads but it'd be a total hellworld either way

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Feranon posted:

the economic and ecological effects of a nuclear war between india and pakistan would prolly get billions of people killed and cause a massive worldwide depression

who knows whether everyone else would sit it out or shoot their wads but it'd be a total hellworld either way

see, I was going to dispute the ecological effects bit, because we've already detonated hundreds, if not thousands of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere, but the more that I think about it: India has a major problem with water supply, and disrupting that supply chain like a nuclear war potentially could could be devistating. I'm not convinced about billions, but tens to hundreds of millions? sure. I could see that potentially happening based off of my very limited understanding of the whole situation

and yeah it could easily gently caress poo poo up economically. I know that we get our CNC inserts from India, and there's probably a whole lot else that comes from there that I don't know about

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/assets/files/2013/4132-2-nuclear-weapons-global-food-production-2013.pdf

quote:

A “limited” nuclear war involving only 100 Hiroshima-sized bombs (i.e. of 13 kilotons each), which is less than 0.5 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons, could disrupt the global climate. More than 5 million tonnes of soot from fires in urban and industrial areas targeted by these weapons could be lofted into the upper atmosphere and cause global temperatures to fall by an average of 1.3 C for several years, shortening the growing season in many areas. The drop in temperatures would be much more severe inland, especially in the interior of North America and Eurasia. The cooler temperatures would result in a major decline in precipitation, as less water evaporates from the oceans to fall back as rain and snow. In addition, there would be a large reduction in ozone levels in the upper atmosphere, allowing increased levels of harmful ultraviolet (UV) light to reach the earth’s surface. The cooler weather, shorter growing seasons and decline in precipitation would have severe effects on agriculture. For example, it is estimated that soybean and corn production in the Midwestern United States and rice production in China would be 20 percent lower in the years immediately following the event, and 10 percent lower even after a decade

More than one billion people around the world might face starvation as a result of a limited, regional nuclear war. The world is ill-prepared to deal with a decline in food production. World food reserves cover only 60 to 70 days of consumption. In addition, there are currently some 870 million malnourished people in the world, who do not receive the minimum of 1,800 calories per day that are required to maintain body mass and perform the physical labour necessary to gather or grow food. A reduction in food intake of as little as 10 percent for a full decade would put this entire group at risk. The estimated 10 to 20 percent drop in corn and maize production could easily translate into a much larger decline in access to food because hoarding and panic are likely to drive up market prices, thereby making food unaffordable for many people. Furthermore, more than 300 million people in the world are well-nourished today but live in countries that are highly dependent on food imports. They too would be at risk if food-exporting countries halted exports to feed their own people.

for reference, the Indian nuclear stockpile is estimated at 200 warheads, and the Pakistani nuclear stockpile is estimated at 150 warheads. The last warhead tested by India was a 31~45 kiloton device, while the last warhead tested by Pakistan was a 20 kiloton device, both back in 1998.

so if the balloon went up, and both countries only used half their stockpiles (or the estimates of actually-usable-weapons was off by that much), and nobody else escalated the nuclear exchange, the amount of destruction and suffering would already be pretty much unimaginable

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/assets/files/2013/4132-2-nuclear-weapons-global-food-production-2013.pdf

for reference, the Indian nuclear stockpile is estimated at 200 warheads, and the Pakistani nuclear stockpile is estimated at 150 warheads. The last warhead tested by India was a 31~45 kiloton device, while the last warhead tested by Pakistan was a 20 kiloton device, both back in 1998.

so if the balloon went up, and both countries only used half their stockpiles (or the estimates of actually-usable-weapons was off by that much), and nobody else escalated the nuclear exchange, the amount of destruction and suffering would already be pretty much unimaginable

holy poo poo I had assumed they had like a dozen each tops

quote:

More than 5 million tonnes of soot from fires in urban and industrial areas targeted by these weapons could be lofted into the upper atmosphere and cause global temperatures to fall by an average of 1.3 C for several years, shortening the growing season in many areas.

also never thought about this/saw this pointed out before. just people pointing out that we had already done a fuckton of atomosphere tests, but those were done on islands in the pacific, not cities full of stuff to burn

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

TeenageArchipelago posted:

see, I was going to dispute the ecological effects bit, because we've already detonated hundreds, if not thousands of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere, but the more that I think about it: India has a major problem with water supply, and disrupting that supply chain like a nuclear war potentially could could be devistating. I'm not convinced about billions, but tens to hundreds of millions? sure. I could see that potentially happening based off of my very limited understanding of the whole situation

and yeah it could easily gently caress poo poo up economically. I know that we get our CNC inserts from India, and there's probably a whole lot else that comes from there that I don't know about

we caused waaay more contamination and illness with all those tests than is publicly acknowledged, but my understanding is that the big difference here would be a) the number of bombs being detonated all at once, and b) that they'd be going off over huge cities instead of the middle of nowhere, producing smoke/ash/fallout in massive amounts that won't dissipate before their effects gently caress everything completely up

yeah, this :smith:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What do you mean, we're solving global warming!

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Wait a nuclear exchange could drop global temperatures by 1.3° C?

#SayYesToWar #JaiHind

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No that parts only temporary

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Stairmaster posted:

So we just need to have a local nuclear exchange ending a couple hundred million lives every decade or so. Problem sounds solved to be.

And think of the reconstruction contracts. Number go up!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

holy poo poo I had assumed they had like a dozen each tops

also never thought about this/saw this pointed out before. just people pointing out that we had already done a fuckton of atomosphere tests, but those were done on islands in the pacific, not cities full of stuff to burn

Nuclear war is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

thats just from the dust and soot in the sky. once you factor in the billions of people dead it'll probably slow global warming down quite a bit