Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I think Guinan is my favorite part of TNG. No matter what Whoopi does or says for good or for bad, I will always remember and love her as Guinan. Pure, good, mysterious, writers-had-no-idea-what-her-deal-actually-is, Guinan.

Edit: if you really think about it, she's the one right in the front of the ship. She's got the biggest bank of windows right at the tip of the saucer, while the bridge has a TV and a skylight. She's right there, man, first one anywhere they go.

I can imagine Guinan saying something exactly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nothing against Marina Sirtis, but once Guinan appears on the show Troi becomes completely superfluous. Whoopi’s just so much better at playing that kind of gentle goading conscience for the other characters. Guinan owns.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing against Marina Sirtis, but once Guinan appears on the show Troi becomes completely superfluous. Whoopi’s just so much better at playing that kind of gentle goading conscience for the other characters. Guinan owns.

Troi was really poorly written. In addition to her empathic ability, she also went to school for psychology.

Which apparently was completely useless because she was unable to do her job without being able to sense someone's feelings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's definitely not Marina Sirtis' fault Troi was a potted plant. When they actually give her something to do she's good. The episode where she goes Romulan for example.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

She was pretty decent in her Voyager appearances as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
On the rare occasions when Troi gets to be something different from MY MIIIIND and hot fudge sundae enjoyer, she's great.

Did Gene take these?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Oh poo poo I loved Action League Now

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hey remember when Marina Sirtis voiced Liara's big boobied mom in Mass Effect? That was bad

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I just assumed that Guinan's deal was that she was a very powerful being posing as an El-Aurian. It lets her be a match for Q while also letting her people get turned into refugees by the Borg.

Also I seem to remember that later on in TNG scripts were written with 'Guinan/Troi' and Troi was literally the backup to say those lines if Whoopi wasn't available to play Guinan

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assumed Guinan was way more powerful than your average El-Aurian, and that when you live that long some people tend to pick up a few extra tricks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She did nothing to demonstrate any kind of power. She just made a silly karate pose at Q. The only other demonstration of any kind of power was a vague awareness the timeline was messed up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently Star Trek Lower Decks takes place on the U.S.S. Cerritos, a "second contact" ship.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's kind of funny

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The book My Year of Rest and Relaxation has a main character who is a bit obsessed with Whoopi Goldberg. She has an aside where she talks about how she finds Guinan to be this sort of cosmic joke to Next Gen because Goldberg is so much more well known an actor than the rest of the cast. She kind of takes apart the illusion of it all.

I don't agree with it, but it was kinda funny in the context of the book.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There kind of is an element of "Well time for TV's Willy Frakes to go chat with EGOT winner"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

She did nothing to demonstrate any kind of power. She just made a silly karate pose at Q. The only other demonstration of any kind of power was a vague awareness the timeline was messed up

The person who doesn't need to use their power is often the one who wields the most.

Guinan is mysterious, and I like to imagine that's part of what makes her scary to Q. She's so mysterious that even he doesn't know all of her deal. For someone who bases all his interactions with lower races on demonstrating his greater knowledge what could be more confronting than someone who doesn't let him do that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Q implied that humanity et al would eventually evolve into something like the Q

Guinan's species is probably just a bit closer and her ability to know when the timeline changed is a hint at that. I always assumed her Q-Fu pose was a defensive posture and that her people can resist being changed by Q, and the fact that they have even minor resistance to Q doing Q poo poo makes Q very uncomfortable in a way he would never admit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

Q implied that humanity et al would eventually evolve into something like the Q

Guinan's species is probably just a bit closer and her ability to know when the timeline changed is a hint at that. I always assumed her Q-Fu pose was a defensive posture and that her people can resist being changed by Q, and the fact that they have even minor resistance to Q doing Q poo poo makes Q very uncomfortable in a way he would never admit
It’s certainly possible that the Q (or Q himself) tried to mess with them and it didn’t go well

Unfortunately that scene is not really followed up on again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's some fanwank: The subset of El Aurians that were exposed to the Ribbon have some degree of immunity to the Q because the ribbon intersects with the Q continuum, and having been in and out of it has immunized them in a way. Picard would now have similar abilities.

Janeway no, because she was taken directly by a Q exercising their own precautions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wasn't there some dumb comic or something where there was a risk of them assimilating a Q?

I believe it was in one of the post-Voyager or TNG books. The Borg have a Q on the ship and they're apparently analysing the invisible magic warp Q particles. I don't think they did anything with the information in that book itself but maybe in sequel novels.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Here's some fanwank: The subset of El Aurians that were exposed to the Ribbon have some degree of immunity to the Q because the ribbon intersects with the Q continuum, and having been in and out of it has immunized them in a way. Picard would now have similar abilities.

Janeway no, because she was taken directly by a Q exercising their own precautions.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I always thought it had something to do with her being in the Nexus, yeah. She spent so much time in there that she's been magically ~*~altered~*~ and now she has an extra degree of awareness on top of the base El Aurian listening thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

womb with a view posted:

Hey remember when Marina Sirtis voiced Liara's big boobied mom in Mass Effect? That was bad

It was good, actually

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I always figured the thing between Guinan and Q was just something they put in to make her seem mysterious, but then didnt really care enough about to actually synchronize DeLancie's and Goldberg's guest appearances to pursue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Everything doesn’t need to be tediously explained. They were right not to follow that up. the unexplored fact that Guinan knows and hates Q and can at least threaten him if not actually harm him is way more interesting than any demystification of it could be. It engages the audience because it points to the scope of the story without packaging it all up in a little box. Just look at how lovely DS9’s battles between magic aliens were and you’ll have a sense of why I’m glad they didn’t elaborate this into the Great Q-El Aurian Wars of 1964 or whatever the gently caress.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like to think Guinan can't do anything to Q besides outsmart him using good old normal linear, non-omnipotent outside the box thinking, and that's what terrifies the poo poo out of him more than anything.

You know, basically how Superman keeps defeating Mxyzptlk.

I bet she'd confuse the poo poo out of the Prophets, too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Everything doesn’t need to be tediously explained. They were right not to follow that up. the unexplored fact that Guinan knows and hates Q and can at least threaten him if not actually harm him is way more interesting than any demystification of it could be.

This a thousand times!

It's way more fun to speculate than to see some damp take from the Trek writing room

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I just finished Voyager. What a limp ending. Sure it's nice to see them get home and it was handled well enough, but can I at least see literally ANYTHING after the initial arrival? gently caress, they could have done another "Postgame" episode dealing with just that. Kim meeting back up with Libby, Janeway meeting back up with Mark, Seven of Nine and the Doctor against the various prejudices that a former Borg drone and a hologram everyone hates would bring. It feels like the entire episode's focus was "how do they get home" and then "oh hey we're home roll credits no we don't get to set foot on earth or even see it onscreen just trust that we're here"

Blugh. At least I get Seven in Picard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

curiousTerminal posted:

I just finished Voyager. What a limp ending. Sure it's nice to see them get home and it was handled well enough, but can I at least see literally ANYTHING after the initial arrival? gently caress, they could have done another "Postgame" episode dealing with just that. Kim meeting back up with Libby, Janeway meeting back up with Mark, Seven of Nine and the Doctor against the various prejudices that a former Borg drone and a hologram everyone hates would bring. It feels like the entire episode's focus was "how do they get home" and then "oh hey we're home roll credits no we don't get to set foot on earth or even see it onscreen just trust that we're here"

Yeah it was also pretty lame since if I remember correctly, the marketing before the episode came out showed that part of the episode where Voyager is flying around in SF. Which of course when you watch the episode turns out to be from an alternate future.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

curiousTerminal posted:

It tries really hard to be All Good Things without realizing that the wink-and-nod future stuff needs to be balanced with the present. They spend more time showing you this supposedly awful future for the characters that the actual present becomes an afterthought in their own finale. And then when you finally do focus on the “real” crew they’re just handed a solution to their problems in the most anticlimactic way. It’s written as if the writers were told a week prior that the show was ending and rushed to come up with an easy fix to get them home. It’s so lazy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Starting the Voyager finale with them already having gotten home has become my go-to example of how subverting the audience's expectations TM is not automatically a good thing. Sometimes you just gotta give the people what they want, even if you throw in a few twists along the way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It tries really hard to be All Good Things without realizing that the wink-and-nod future stuff needs to be balanced with the present. They spend more time showing you this supposedly awful future for the characters that the actual present becomes an afterthought in their own finale. And then when you finally do focus on the “real” crew they’re just handed a solution to their problems in the most anticlimactic way. It’s written as if the writers were told a week prior that the show was ending and rushed to come up with an easy fix to get them home. It’s so lazy.

The also seemed to forget that it was their last season, so plot threads were left hanging like old men's balls, swinging in the wind.

They spent one of their last few episodes, Natural Law, with the kind of filler you'd expect in season 1. One of the older Trek threads summaried Voyager as 7 years of wasted potential that "ended with a slap in the face." Sadly still true 18 years after it ended.

gently caress me, I feel so old. With the balls to prove it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Epicurius posted:

I always figured the thing between Guinan and Q was just something they put in to make her seem mysterious, but then didnt really care enough about to actually synchronize DeLancie's and Goldberg's guest appearances to pursue.

But boy was it great that they got her for Deja Q:

GUINAN: I hear they drummed you out of the Continuum. 
Q: I like to think of it as a significant career change. 
GUINAN: Just one of the boys, ay? 
Q: One of the boys with an IQ of two thousand and five. 
DATA: The Captain and many of the crew are not yet convinced he is truly human. 
GUINAN: Really?

:fork::supaburn:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Deja Q is so good :allears:

Q: Q the miserable! Q the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?
Worf: Die. :frog:
Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
My favourite part of Voyager's finale was how Neelix was in it for like, 15 seconds because he decided to gently caress off the week before to some asteroid filled with Talaxians that somehow showed up 40 years away from their home planet.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I hated how Voyager handled the getting home part of the show so much. Early on every other episode has some crackpot way of getting home that never works because that would break the entire premise. You know that going in, so there's no tension. Then when they finally do get home, they end it without showing any postscripts for resolution. The beginning kills off half the crew, but who cares because you don't get to know them anyways.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager is like Gilligan's Island with subspace coconuts

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

Voyager is like Gilligan's Island with subspace coconuts

Star Trek: Gilligan's Island With Subspace Coconuts

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

skasion posted:

Everything doesn’t need to be tediously explained. They were right not to follow that up

100% agree on the point that they didn't need to explain it at all. I am disappointed, though, that they didn't use this idea at all again beyond that one appearance. It just seemed like yet another dangling setup for a plot they never took anywhere, like Sela's introduction or Beverly and Picard's sort-of romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nullsmack posted:

I hated how Voyager handled the getting home part of the show so much. Early on every other episode has some crackpot way of getting home that never works because that would break the entire premise. You know that going in, so there's no tension. Then when they finally do get home, they end it without showing any postscripts for resolution. The beginning kills off half the crew, but who cares because you don't get to know them anyways.

As much as I otherwise dislike the Seska character I did like her "villain speech:"

quote:

I did it for you. I did it for this crew. We are alone here, at the mercy of any number of hostile aliens, because of the incomprehensible decision of a Federation captain. A Federation captain who destroyed our only chance to get home. Federation rules. Federation nobility. Federation compassion? Do you understand, if this had been a Cardassian ship, we would be home now.