Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

DizzyBum posted:

If you want glamours, just rapid-fire them unsynced until you get what you want.

If you want to experience what the fights are like synced, by all means, go for it.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the difficulty isn't the problem so much as getting a group together to do it. If you have friends to run it with you it'll probably be a fun time, but there's basically zero pubbies interested in doing synced old content

Cool, time to go back to the old days of transmog runs eventually, sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People run old extremes for mounts all the time. Is it still true that the odds of a mount dropping is greater if you run the fight synced? Or was that just a myth?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

isk posted:

It's still hard but more folks know the mechanics now. Really it depends on how much of the party is new folks/veterans who forgot the mechanics.

It helps that some of the 4.0 end boss' most significant attacks are also used by the Eden floor 3 boss (and, weirdly enough, Archaeotania which is basically a trial boss in the form of a world boss) so dealing with them is already at the front of a lot of people's minds.

That said, do not feel shame when you die 30 seconds into the fight the on your first pull. It's a rite of passage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Unrelated: somehow knocking 5 seconds off my Reassemble CD has injected a shitload of drift into rotation, and switching to the fast opener seems to result in me munching 10 heat every ~2 minutes off Barrel Stabilizer. It's weird. The drift is probably just a result of me having used Reassemble to time out where I am in my CDs and getting confused, and apparently munching heat is to be expected, but drat-- I kind of wish they'd just left Reassemble at 60s.

yeah it's throwing me off too. like it's really nothing but a benefit since it guarantees reassemble will always be up in time for drill regardless of your sks but GOD does it ever feel weird how early it comes back online??? always makes me feel like i've hosed something up even though everything is going according to plan

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It'll be alot smoother cuz practically everyone will be in BIS for stormblood gear due to ilevel scaling, but a few mechanics are definitely going to kill people.

I've had to do this fight a few times in the last month to help friends or from roulettes, and while you still lose a person or two in the fight to mechanics it's nuts how easy it is due to the gear now. Like, adds dying immediately after they show up in phase 1 or the big "add" in phase 2 dying before I can even hit it more than once or twice each time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SettingSun posted:

People run old extremes for mounts all the time. Is it still true that the odds of a mount dropping is greater if you run the fight synced? Or was that just a myth?

Some orchestrion rolls are guaranteed drops when synched (mainly the Coil ones), but I'm pretty sure the mount drop rate is unchanged.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Just run Ramuh ex in DF and the game will inevitably shove me in there for mentor roulette :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I can understand the frustration of playing with sprout players in dungeons sometimes, but I had an awful experience in an LDR yesterday when I was playing my RDM where the healer was loudly and obnoxiously lovely to a sprout newbie tank in the level 69 dungeon, specifically on the second boss with the pillars and the aether overflow. The tank didn't understand the pillars or the buff/debuff thing and was continually eating poo poo on it. Rather than explain the fight to the tank (which I was doing) the healer just went "GG poo poo group" and went afk at the entrance. When I called him out on it, (specifically "If you're going to be a punk you could at least man up, withdraw from the group, and eat your 30 minute queue ban") he disconnected and we wound up votekicking him anyways. When the replacement healer got in, we breezed through the rest of it no problem.

Also, I'm really digging on RDM more and more as I level it up. Impact and Enchanted Moulinet seems to tear through AoE packs like butter and there's something deeply satisfying about when things go to poo poo being able to pick up the pieces. I've saved multiple bosses when I was able to stand up the healer and keep them, myself, and the tank up long enough for the healer to come back online.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since watching a few of the current Let´s Plays of FF XIV I decided to start a trial account and go for a Marauder since I usually tend to go for the mage based classses in all RPG´s. I have to say that I like what I´ve seen this far and what I´ve heard of the story it almost feels like a single player RPG in some aspects. I just wonder if there are any deals going right now if I´m looking to upgrade to the Starter version?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Since watching a few of the current Let´s Plays of FF XIV I decided to start a trial account and go for a Marauder since I usually tend to go for the mage based classses in all RPG´s. I have to say that I like what I´ve seen this far and what I´ve heard of the story it almost feels like a single player RPG in some aspects. I just wonder if there are any deals going right now if I´m looking to upgrade to the Starter version?

Pro tip - if you like Marauder/Warrior and decide to stick with the game all the way to Heavensward, give Dark Knight a go. It's a fun class with great job quests.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SettingSun posted:

I soloed the ARR primals for horses yesterday. It took me at most 5 kills to get a mount, my average was a bit over 2.

So, not significantly I think. At least for ARR.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

I soloed the ARR primals for horses yesterday. It took me at most 5 kills to get a mount, my average was a bit over 2.

So, not significantly I think. At least for ARR.

I just realized I only need Ifrit's horse to finally get Kirin! I should take care of that later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whats the nightmare drop rate unsync'd?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kitfox88 posted:

ninja tower's back for this event, someone please link that twitter where the japanese guy is jumping up it and it goes slow mo every time he messes up and the first few moments of the steppes day theme plays

what, i've never seen this and now i want to

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

what, i've never seen this and now i want to

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I did them all unsynced before ShB, and the only one I had to do more than five times was Shiva (because I did her in a group to make sure I had the DPS to beat the freeze/reset). Ifrit and Titan were kind enough to drop their horses on round one.

So I’d say do it unsynced if all you want is loot/mounts.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DizzyBum posted:

I just realized I only need Ifrit's horse to finally get Kirin! I should take care of that later.

Yeah, Ifrit's was the only one I had going in. I was expecting it to take me a couple of evenings to get from that to Kirin, coming from wow's 2% hellfarms, instead I got my shiny horse in a little over an hour.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats the nightmare drop rate unsync'd?

It's still really low, in the neighborhood of 1%. On the bright side you can obliterate the original three ex primals effortlessly with any level 80 job solo so if you want to turn your brain off and pick on Titan Ex for a while you'll get it eventually.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

It helps that some of the 4.0 end boss' most significant attacks are also used by the Eden floor 3 boss (and, weirdly enough, Archaeotania which is basically a trial boss in the form of a world boss) so dealing with them is already at the front of a lot of people's minds.

That said, do not feel shame when you die 30 seconds into the fight the on your first pull. It's a rite of passage.

I was gonna say 15 seconds but I didn't want to risk spoiling it :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thundarr posted:

It's still really low, in the neighborhood of 1%.

Really? Guess I got really lucky when it dropped when I did a quick solo unsynch Titan EX last week to finish up my book.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the secret to getting the ARR EX mounts is to solo some of them every week for wondrous tails

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i did want them. i wanted them to grow so i could sell them.

i didn't log in yesterday in time to water them. nobody in my fc watered them either. they all died.

over 2 million gil down the drain. :smith:

I've been trying to grow onions since shb dropped and keep getting Tanaka'd by rng on the cross seeds and get like 3 onion prince seeds and zero mimett gourds or whatever

Finally said gently caress it and bought the last couple of seeds so looking forward to getting boned by rng again on the onion cross

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

Yes, yes! Also you're basically at Stormblood now.

Though to this day I still don't understand why Yuyuhase is still hanging out with Ilberd and helping him by that point. At least Laurentius is a coward with nowhere else to turn so I can understand him hitching his wagon to the only strong personality that doesn't actively hate him. Yuyuhase always struck me as being purely mercenary though, and he had nothing at all to gain from *checks notes* murdering a bunch of Ala Mhigan refugee dupes to summon a god of rage and provoke a war where everyone on all sides wants him dead.

Obviously an Ascian

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Obviously Ascian is a pretty good name

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

I've been trying to grow onions since shb dropped and keep getting Tanaka'd by rng on the cross seeds and get like 3 onion prince seeds and zero mimett gourds or whatever

Finally said gently caress it and bought the last couple of seeds so looking forward to getting boned by rng again on the onion cross

heres what i go by:

from http://www.ffxivgardening.com/index.php, very good site

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I went from complaining about Bard being too easy to holy poo poo I cannot keep track of 3 songs and DOTS and all the OGCD shots and buffs in ~60 content while looking at the ground to see where I should be standing and all the bosses keep moving me around now ahh

It's exciting though!

Some questions on Bard

-When I fight AOE packs, should I be landing a DOT on every single enemy first before I start spamming AOE for Song buffs? I like landing DOTS as the tank runs around pulling stuff and then I can Mage's Ballad and Rain of Death nonstop which is fun
-I almost never use Repelling Shot, Warden's Paen - can I just move them to hotkeys I'll almost never press, am I supposed to be using these more often
-Similarly I never use ANY of the graze Role Actions?

I'm already starting to get the itch of changing DPS roles to start messing around with stuff but leveling has gotten REALLY slow in the mid 60s.

and some questions on Crafting:

-I have LTW, WVR GSM all around 25. I actually kind of have fun leveling these, especially when sitting in queues for MSQ stuff (When I'm sitting in queues for roulettes I just do the MSQ). I saw that WVR gets a really good cross class ability at 50, should I be beelining WVR 50 even if I don't level the others? Again I kind of have fun doing this and my Company is full of crafters who like to help out.

-I made a Mining Retainer but my mining is like level 12 and I can't level it past my own miner am I really gonna have to level Gathering too to make this useful
-Is desynth useful at all in terms of giving Crafting EXP or is it one of those weird subsubsubsystems they added 4 years ago then abandoned (I am yet to do a single Guildhest)

With AOE it kinda depends on the situation and how long things are gonna be alive to worth dotting. In most dungeon runs 6 targets all double DOT'ed up is what you wanna shoot for before you start going crazy with Quick Nock/Rain of Death, especially when you're in Mages Ballad since that is your most powerful song for AOE situations. But if the enemies aren't going to be alive for more than like 2-3 ticks of your DOTS then i don't think it's really worth doing.

Repelling Shot and Wardens are okay in very niche situations, Repelling Shot can be more useful if you need a quick way to get out of range of something i guess. But otherwise they are kinda useless and you probably won't miss them if you get rid of them off your hotbar. I personally like having Wardens around because i like to feel useful to the healers of my group, but generall it is not needed :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can anyone give a quick rundown on common abbreviations i see for groups? ive seen ldr (leveling dungeon roulette?), lldr, 567 and some others i think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ldr is leveling duty roulette. Lldr is low level duty roulette, which was the old name back when the level cap was 50. 567 is the level 50/60/70 duty roulette

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
EXDR is Extreme Duty Roulette, which is the group of the highest level EX dungeons in the current content. Ally or allyrou is Alliance Roulette, a random 24-man dungeon from each expansion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

EXDR is Extreme Duty Roulette, which is the group of the highest level EX dungeons in the current content. Ally or allyrou is Alliance Roulette, a random 24-man dungeon from each expansion.

I believe you mean ADR is LOTA Roulette.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thanks, the other one i see pretty often is msqr. main story quest raid?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Awesome! posted:

thanks, the other one i see pretty often is msqr. main story quest raid?
Yeah there are two special dungeons at the end of the original ARR MSQ. They have their own special queue with bonus prizes to keep the wait down for new players.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

And by bonus prizes, we mean probably the biggest exp payout you can get from roulettes and a copious amount of tomestones.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Also, eventually (assuming pattern from ARR/HW/StB holds true), we'll get 80DR, which will be the non EXDR level 80 dungeons.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
MSQR is one of two things;

1) loving Castrum.

2) Watch / Read / Do something for 45 minutes.

I usually do the dishes during option 2.

The first time through them is a good ol’ spectacle though so this isn’t to say they’re bad or anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That is a strange corner they backed themselves into with the MSQDR cutscenes thing, huh

Wonder if whatever the hell New Game+ is supposed to be will ameliorate that

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I always hope for Praetorium because at least I can read an LP or manga or something whilst cutscenes are going. Castrum cutscenes are just too short.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i love msqr when i get prae, i play another game or watch something, the last 3/4 of that is all cutscenes. half a level guaranteed for doing nothing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just did praetorian for the first time and it was horrendous possibly the worst thing I’ve ever had to experience in a mmo.

That said Atleast ARR is done now. Time to do the patch quests :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it feels like every patch has one "slot" devoted to some oddball new system (like Eureka, diadem, gold saucer, etc). NQ+ is probably 5.1's. If they used that slot in like 5.3 or 5.4 for touching up the leveling experience in ARR content and remaking the final two dungeons I would be perfectly fine with that. Even if it replaced two full patches worth of stuff. Even if I never touched it, it would be less of a waste than verminion or diadem