Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Brexiting or not Brexiting will piss off around half the country, it's just a matter of which half, where that half is demographically and electorally and how sound is your reasoning for your actions.

Labour has tried to take a long term position and that should pay off but it's a rocky short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is if the UK pretends theres still no border, then what do you do?

Little known history but it was originally the Irish that established customs controls on the border in NI, not the UK. Early Ireland involved a lot of protectionism and tariffs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_Trade_War

Also, there's the fact that the UK is talking about loosening their agricultural standards and potentially importing cheaper/less regulated products into their markets. It was always going to be Ireland's onus to put up the border, hence why the backstop is so important; a hard border doesn't hurt anyone Westminster cares about, it hurts Ireland and republicans in the border counties of Northern Ireland.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

namesake posted:

Brexiting or not Brexiting will piss off around half the country, it's just a matter of which half, where that half is demographically and electorally and how sound is your reasoning for your actions.

Labour has tried to take a long term position and that should pay off but it's a rocky short term.

imo there is a difference between 'ok so we tried for the best we could and this is what we ended up with, what now' and 'this is a bad idea, let's not do this' which at least a good chunk of the population could accept as basically democratic - the referendum happened, and all parties campaigned in it as though it was binding, so not respecting that (or at least making some noises to that end) is genuinely not reasonable. there really shouldn't have been a referendum, but what's happened has happened

there's being sour, and then there's 'the political class literally just ignores the results of a referendum when it's inconvenient'

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

imo there is a difference between 'ok so we tried for the best we could and this is what we ended up with, what now' and 'this is a bad idea, let's not do this' which at least a good chunk of the population could accept as basically democratic - the referendum happened, and all parties campaigned in it as though it was binding, so not respecting that (or at least making some noises to that end) is genuinely not reasonable. there really shouldn't have been a referendum, but what's happened has happened

there's being sour, and then there's 'the political class literally just ignores the results of a referendum when it's inconvenient'

if the article 50 process goes on long enough, its entirely fair imo to say, look, its taken a whole lot longer than we expected, and in that time weve had 3 (or w/e # ) pms, a whole buncha adults enter the electorate who had no say in the referendum, economic shifts in the uk and the world, and a lot more clarity about what brexit would entail—how about we agree that the referendum as it happened no longer adequately represents the will of britain as presently constituted, and get a proper read on the situation before doing anything rash

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uh, no, how do you blame things on immigrants then

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Squizzle posted:

if the article 50 process goes on long enough, its entirely fair imo to say, look, its taken a whole lot longer than we expected, and in that time weve had 3 (or w/e # ) pms, a whole buncha adults enter the electorate who had no say in the referendum, economic shifts in the uk and the world, and a lot more clarity about what brexit would entail—how about we agree that the referendum as it happened no longer adequately represents the will of britain as presently constituted, and get a proper read on the situation before doing anything rash

pretty sure a good chunk of the population disagrees rather emphatically with this assessment of fairness

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

pretty sure a good chunk of the population disagrees rather emphatically with this assessment of fairness

theyre morons tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

the same ones who argue with me on facebook that the EU elections are proof we need to no deal now lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

That is the rational read on things yes. Like many western nations much of our population has something wrong with them. It's probably not the iodine thing.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Squizzle posted:

yeah considering nobody knew (or knows) what brexit means in detail its entirely legitimate to have a 3-way second referendum with no deal and remain

when proper countries have referendums they vote on a specific law not on general feelings

poty has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Aug 5, 2019

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

me, face like an easter ham]: lord love a duck, i voted for a bus to be lord president of buckingham and by blimey you will take that commitment seriously

you, reading the natl mood]: *nods gravely"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This is funny because this tweeter is the only one who cares about this

https://twitter.com/TyronWilson/status/1158415822953623552?s=19

https://twitter.com/TyronWilson/status/1158416540670353409?s=19

https://twitter.com/TyronWilson/status/1158416886171877376?s=19

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm Dutch and I didn't even know we were still in Eurovision. Did we win?

Yay I guess.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

I'm glad that however dumb the world is, it's not yet quite as dumb as this man.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

cheesy chips is what my family calls nachos. what do they call nachos in the uk?

real answer in case youre ever unfortunate enough to be stranded in the no-tex-mex-wasteland: they have "nacho cheese"

its mayo with doritos dust in it

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Nomnom Cookie posted:

work has an office in Belfast and I wonder how that works. are they all catholic? all Protestant? very carefully ignorant of their coworkers’ religion/politics?

I work in an office in Belfast. We have a peace wall made of cubicle dividers down the middle and Catholics can only enter the building using the goods entrance at the back. They also have to take the stairs as the lifts can only be activated by whistling a pitch-perfect rendition of God Save The Queen.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

intraöffice nerf® “bit o trouble” bonding day

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Bryter posted:

Not even a unionist and I've still found the indifference and ignorance of English people towards NI to be staggering. God only knows what it's like to be a flag waving prod and spend some time there only to realise that the people you imagined you had some sort of cultural unity with barely register your existence.

Ever been to the Isle of Man? It's the most laughably English -- specifically English -- nationalist place in the world. Last time I was there, the taxi driver who'd been sent to meet me off the plane lasted about sixty seconds before telling me that he hated Muslims and "wanted them all killed," despite there not being a Muslim within 100 miles in any direction. You probably shouldn't judge a place by its taxi drivers, but then, in the hotel, I got chatting to a dude who worked for RBS and had been sent because the Douglas branch was losing money and he had to decide whether it was viable to keep it open. He'd decided it wasn't because the locals all refused to use it -- because it had the word 'Scotland' in the name. :v: They seem to be terrified of being forgotten by the English, for some reason, and so overcompensate massively by being hosed up headbangers to an even greater extent than people on the mainland. It's ridiculous. I wonder if the Falklands are the same.

And they're all deviants.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Regarde Aduck posted:

That is the rational read on things yes. Like many western nations much of our population has something wrong with them. It's probably not the iodine thing.

While there are lots of bad people everywhere, britain has a specific problem that compounds it.

quote:

Thirty-seven reported studies, total 12,291 children, were analysed. The effect size was an increase of 0.83, 0.82, and 0.32 SIQP respectively, for the children living in IS communities compared with those living in ID areas with no iodine supplementation, with inadequate iodine supplementation, or children who had received iodine during their mothers' pregnancy and after birth. These equal to 12.45, 12.3, 4.8 IQ points. Compared with that of children whose mothers were persistently exposed to ID, the total effect size of the 21 entries was an increase of 0.58 SIQP (8.7 IQ points) in the group receiving iodine supplementation during pregnancy. Furthermore, there was an increase on 1.15 SIQP of Binet or 0.8 SIQP on Raven Scale (17.25 or 12 IQ points) for children born more than 3.5 years after iodine supplementation program was introduced.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15734706

quote:

The UK was not thought to need this step, but in 2013 a large study of urine samples from pregnant women found that about two-thirds had mild iodine deficiency, and that the children of those with the lowest levels had the lowest IQs.

Now another team has combined data from this study with other data to calculate that if all women in the UK were given iodine supplements from three months before pregnancy until they finished breastfeeding, average IQ would increase by 1.2 points per child. And the children of mothers who were most iodine deficient would probably benefit more, says Kate Jolly of the University of Birmingham, who was involved in the study. “We are talking about very small differences but on a population basis it could mean quite a lot,” she says.

The team calculated that providing these iodine supplements would be worth the cost to the UK’s National Health Service because it would boost the country’s productivity.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28026-iodine-supplements-might-raise-the-uks-iq-but-jury-still-out/

It isn't that iodine deficiency is making all british people mentally handicapped, its that over a large enough proportion of the british population, there is a large enough diminishment that for closely contested issues, the margins become very important and the public health crisis becomes a serious public policy crisis.

Britain faces the same problems as other developed countries, with the iodine deficiency intellectual diminishment problem magnifying it. So for example, while many developed countries have made bad popular decisions recently, Britain's is the worst by far.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

person at the centre of the “white saviour” controversy of comic relief surprises everyone by being culturally insensitive to brown people again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Squizzle posted:

intraöffice nerf® “bit o trouble” bonding day

wasn't this an annual plot for the bastard operator from hell

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Not even a unionist and I've still found the indifference and ignorance of English people towards NI to be staggering. God only knows what it's like to be a flag waving prod and spend some time there only to realise that the people you imagined you had some sort of cultural unity with barely register your existence.

I grew up as a flag-waving Prod, attending all the Orange marches and walking in the parades. I moved to London in my early 20s when I was still pretty gung-ho Unionist and it was an absolute eye-opener. I made a few Scots friends who kinda understood my Unionist views, but to all my English friends I was "Irish Mark".

Years later I moved back to NI because I got a great job offer, and it's an absolutely wonderful place to start a family. I've been a soft Unionist since then; I identify as culturally Irish but believed that NI was better of as part of the UK. Brexit has thrown that identity right out the window.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So yall keep bitching about being forced to eat our chlorinated chicken but never heard of iodized salt before? really?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

She truly does my loving nut in. Think it's a combo of her accent and shite style of investigative journalism.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HiHo ChiRho posted:

So yall keep bitching about being forced to eat our chlorinated chicken but never heard of iodized salt before? really?

We've got iodine, it's the lead that hosed up our olds

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BMX Ninja posted:

Years later I moved back to NI because I got a great job offer, and it's an absolutely wonderful place to start a family

not always deliberately lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1158515203803373573

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

It all seems so meaningless...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pipski posted:

Ever been to the Isle of Man? It's the most laughably English -- specifically English -- nationalist place in the world. Last time I was there, the taxi driver who'd been sent to meet me off the plane lasted about sixty seconds before telling me that he hated Muslims and "wanted them all killed," despite there not being a Muslim within 100 miles in any direction. You probably shouldn't judge a place by its taxi drivers, but then, in the hotel, I got chatting to a dude who worked for RBS and had been sent because the Douglas branch was losing money and he had to decide whether it was viable to keep it open. He'd decided it wasn't because the locals all refused to use it -- because it had the word 'Scotland' in the name. :v: They seem to be terrified of being forgotten by the English, for some reason, and so overcompensate massively by being hosed up headbangers to an even greater extent than people on the mainland. It's ridiculous. I wonder if the Falklands are the same.

And they're all deviants.

The Fast Show Isle of Man sketch is actually a documentary.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Another cool feature of "WTO rules" is that they can be breached by anyone, and the most the UK could do would be to get to the back of a 3 year queue for non-binding arbitration which multiple countries have already said they would gently caress up for Great Britain.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

when the uk is being carved up for sale to anyone w foreign currency to spend, any pieces i should keep an eye out for (if the price is right)??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

slough

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thinking about buying the isle of man and trying to position it as a camp gay vacation spot. ad copy sample: “youve heard of the isle of lesbos—well,”

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I am going to buy..

I dont know. Maybe some Scottish lakes?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Going to call it New Hollandland

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

name it after yr fav canadian province

welcome to new nova scotia

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Squizzle posted:

when the uk is being carved up for sale to anyone w foreign currency to spend, any pieces i should keep an eye out for (if the price is right)??
That quaint idyllic english farmland would be a great place for some parking garages.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/Evo848S/status/1158687110808973312

couple of brain geniuses in the replies

https://twitter.com/accessjames/status/1158632450706292737

mmm it's not good but I look at this and I think "none of it will have any impact on MY life so gently caress it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"how could a 30% rise in food prices affect my life?"