Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

radmonger posted:

Can we compromise and store all the nuclear waste in golf course bunkers?

Maybe it would even become worth watching on tv if a missed drive ended up in a radiation hazard, leading r\to having to play the next shot within 60 seconds before their skin melts off?

Post/username combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Feeling quite poo poo about life at the moment, folks. Recently lost my little brother to a motorbike accident, and even at this bleak time my wretched family can't shut the gently caress up about their awful politics. My mum's partner is peak gammon and has a petulant need to immediately use any lovely slurs he's been asked not to. Even at the wake, my grandad decided to hold forth about how Island Britain has survived before, so no-deal Brexit is fine, really.

Thing is, I've been lurking these threads since the LF days, during Brown's tenure. I've learned a lot, but I'm completely out of step with the people around me. I feel completely alienated from most of the people that should otherwise be my support network.

I've been thinking of trying to get into some local volunteering, just to feel like I'm doing something with all these opinions I've built up. Anyone know of anything around Poole/Bournemouth? I'd join the local Labour party, but everything I've heard about CLP meetings suggests that they're not really a place to go if you're already miserable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Feeling quite poo poo about life at the moment, folks. Recently lost my little brother to a motorbike accident, and even at this bleak time my wretched family can't shut the gently caress up about their awful politics. My mum's partner is peak gammon and has a petulant need to immediately use any lovely slurs he's been asked not to. Even at the wake, my grandad decided to hold forth about how Island Britain has survived before, so no-deal Brexit is fine, really.

Thing is, I've been lurking these threads since the LF days, during Brown's tenure. I've learned a lot, but I'm completely out of step with the people around me. I feel completely alienated from most of the people that should otherwise be my support network.

I've been thinking of trying to get into some local volunteering, just to feel like I'm doing something with all these opinions I've built up. Anyone know of anything around Poole/Bournemouth? I'd join the local Labour party, but everything I've heard about CLP meetings suggests that they're not really a place to go if you're already miserable.

You've got the Labour Party World Transformed conference coming up in a few months, there's likely to be a lot of local groups hanging around in the fringe part of that - you might find something you like there.

Terribly sorry to hear about your brother as well.

Also Thangam Debbonaire is having a little meltdown on twitter about reselection so I withdraw my earlier defence of her.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Ahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1144299113024016385?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Of course. Of course she did.

Thank you, that was the pick me up I needed before bed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

The worst thing about having a child is that my wife and I can no longer scream “gently caress YOU, YOU GOLF BASTARDS! YOU GOLF PLAYING WANKERS!” as we drive past a golf course.

I really don't see why? Seems like the sort of thing you want to encourage?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Checked my microphone and recording equipment today, quality seems all good.

If you want to get a podcast going where we all shoot the poo poo for an hour about the hot topics of the week, it may be worth getting on discord at some point to see how will we gel with each other.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I've got tomorrow or Wednesday for podcast nonce-sense?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sanford posted:

That’s what I thought! She was wearing green converse, had a tribal tattoo on her arm, and some ungodly red colouring in her hair - all signs of some kind of foreigner in my opinion.

Tell her she can't appropriate alternative dress sense if she's going to be a oval office.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't wait to listen to whatever trainwreck you manage to record

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

I can't wait to listen to whatever trainwreck you manage to record

The UK imports over two thirds of its trainwreck podcasts. I think that's a disgrace!

*smiles and waits for applause*

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Ok it can't just be my imagination. Boris Johnson looks like he's aged about a decade in the space of a few months. Is this the psychic price of becoming PM? Is it his haircut? He just looks really pale and saggy.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

namesake posted:

The UK imports over two thirds of its trainwreck podcasts. I think that's a disgrace!

*smiles and waits for applause*

:golfclap:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

winegums posted:

Ok it can't just be my imagination. Boris Johnson looks like he's aged about a decade in the space of a few months. Is this the psychic price of becoming PM? Is it his haircut? He just looks really pale and saggy.
It's just the sheer tension of being the next one to pull the trigger on the Brexit Russian-roulette. Cameron dodged it by loving off, May dodged it by dragging it out, and now she's passed the pistol to Boris.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm so sorry about your brother.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Of course. Of course she did.

Thank you, that was the pick me up I needed before bed.

You're welcome. Best part is that if you click through she made 2 further posts just to demonstrate how thoroughly she destroyed him.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SolWpolski/status/1158487767762067467
:psyduck:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Oh my God they're at it again. From tonight's FT, which means it's pretty reliable:

quote:

MPs opposed to a no-deal Brexit have suggested a cross-party government could be formed with the sole purpose of requesting an extension to the UK’s departure from the EU, if Boris Johnson’s government loses a no-confidence vote this autumn.

The prime minister, who is preparing to face down a potential challenge from pro-Remain MPs, hopes to delay any general election until after October 31 — Britain’s scheduled departure date from the EU. On Monday, during a visit to a hospital in Lincolnshire, Mr Johnson sought to play down growing speculation that he would call an election, insisting it was “the last thing I want to do”.

However, in the event that Mr Johnson fails to win the confidence of MPs, a 14-day “cooling off” period allows an alternative government to prove it can command a majority in the House of Commons before an election is automatically held.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is expected, under this scenario, to first try to win a confidence vote. But pro-Remain MPs believe that a “government of national unity”, supported by MPs from the Liberal Democrats, Scottish nationalists, Green party, Plaid Cymru, a handful of independents as well as parts of the Labour party, might have a better chance of commanding the Commons’ confidence.

“If the government loses a confidence vote and Jeremy can’t win the confidence of the Commons, the question then is whether some other government might be formed. There is the possibility of a ‘letter-writing government’ forming — a government whose sole function would be to do what Johnson won’t: writing to the EU to extend Article 50,” said one senior Labour MP, who is campaigning against a no-deal Brexit.

MPs involved in this idea believe that the government would only exist for a short period in order to request an extension to Article 50, the mechanism in the Lisbon treaty by which an EU member state can leave the bloc.

It is envisaged it would then dissolve so a general election could take place before Britain has left the EU, with or without a deal. Brussels negotiators have said they are willing to offer another Brexit extension if Britain opted to hold an election or referendum.

So a government of national unity that bypasses the PM and Jeremy Corbyn in order to send a note to Brussels to ask for another extention for another election.

These people's brains have been totally fried.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Lmao, Labour is against millionaires, millionaires are a minority, ergo Labour is against all minorities. Jews are also a minority, ergo Labour is antisemitic. QED.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Second part:

quote:

There is a particular concern among Labour MPs that Mr Corbyn and his front bench team would not participate in any government of national unity if he is unable to form his own administration. Yet some pro-Remain campaigners believe “it might be our last chance to stop no-deal”.

Nick Boles, the former Conservative MP opposed to a no-deal Brexit, declined to comment on any plans for a government of national unity, but said: “I’m not sure Sun Tzu would approve of the kind of overconfident bluster emanating from No. 10 spads [special advisers] in recent days.” It is unclear who might lead a government of national unity, although one individual suggested “it would need someone [respected] like Ken Clarke.”

But one Labour MP predicted it would be “impossible for us to vote for a Tory prime minister without getting deselected”. MPs are also concerned that any effort to form an alternative government may end up involving the Queen — who remains out of party political matters — taking a decision about whether to side with Mr Johnson and call an election at a time of his choosing, or allow the “letter-writing government” to form in order to delay Brexit.

One campaigner suggested that a humble address could be delivered in the Commons to demonstrate to Buckingham Palace that there is a majority for extending Article 50. “It is definitely uncharted territory,” said one MP.

Well if we needed a topic for the ukmt podcast, I propose we talk about fubpee brainspiders.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Oh my God they're at it again. From tonight's FT, which means it's pretty reliable:

So a government of national unity that bypasses the PM and Jeremy Corbyn in order to send a note to Brussels to ask for another extention for another election.

These people's brains have been totally fried.

In what way is a government of national unity different to the Lib Dems backing the Tories in exchange for ___________, which Swinson has already basically said she'd be in favour of?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Yes hello yer Maj, we've a bunch of MPs outside with an A4 printout of a group WhatsApp chat they want to send to the EU.

Would you mind giving them the reins of power, which you can do because you're God's anointed head of the UK?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Junior G-man posted:

Second part:

Well if we needed a topic for the ukmt podcast, I propose we talk about fubpee brainspiders.

The podcast is me screaming at maximum volume for an hour.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

namesake posted:

Also Thangam Debbonaire is having a little meltdown on twitter about reselection so I withdraw my earlier defence of her.

God drat, how does she not realise that being chill about it would make her more likely to not be deselected? :ughh:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
How has Jess Phillips not been deselected yet?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm probably missing something, but how is "we need to be fighting the Tories, not fighting for reselection" an argument when Parliament is on recess?

e: and how is fighting the Tories not a way of getting reselected? Do they think that's going to be unpopular with the CLP?

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 5, 2019

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thangam meltdown is spicy as gently caress, sadly my own MP in Bristol NW is starting to come across as a melt

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Condolences, losing family is tough. If you're having trouble, there should be an NHS bereavement support service you can go to, and your GP might be worth seeing if you get mental health issues. I hope you pull through alright. It's not great being in a heavily-blue county from the point of view of finding people with shared values, it can really get exhausting after a while, whether you're arguing or just pretending not to have opinions. Especially if those hostile people are your family and never shut up about politics.

It doesn't look like there's much on politically outside Labour, maybe the local foodbanks are accepting volunteers for something suitable? There's one I found here, another here, it looks like Shelter has a couple of vacancies in roles, and I'm guessing the people in these won't be on the hard right. It might still be worth looking at Labour in Bournemouth East; Aaron Bastani was going on about it a while back iirc, how it was seeing an increase in local turnout and activity in the CLP, and I remember the local election result being a shock shift away from Tory-controlled. The candidate looks very much pro-Corbyn.

Also, post! It's normally a friendly thread and poo poo probably won't kick off too badly until parliament's back

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Chuka Umana posted:

How has Jess Phillips not been deselected yet?

I don't think anybody has? Despite the continuous bleating from the Labour right about Momentum deselections, the only ones who have left have resigned. Unless you count Fiona Onasanya (who was never in the 'moderate' crowd AFAIK). Even if there was a challenge I don't think Jess Phillips would get deselected anyway. The ones actually in trouble are the ones like Frank Field who were parachuted into their CLP and have no real support there. For as much as everyone is tired of Jess Phillips' bullshit she does at least fight for her constituents.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I checked the spreadsheet earlier today and it seems like only a handful of people currently have local recording options. Shall we pick a date and time and have a preliminary chat to see how it works?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1158018270546583553?s=20

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

I'd join the local Labour party, but everything I've heard about CLP meetings suggests that they're not really a place to go if you're already miserable.

They're not, but the local party should organize other things, campaigning activities, street stalls and so on, and the cameraderie at those can be good.

Really sorry about your brother.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

He got cucked by boris

I remind him every time I see his tweets.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Hm. Well my experience of people who don't wash is that they stink and just think they don't because they got used to their smell. I had to tell someone in our open plan office once that he needed to take care of personal hygiene (I was quite senior) as he was stinking the place out - I didn't put it as bluntly as that - and others in the office were leaving cans of deodorant on his desk every day as a big hint (which he never got! What his thought processes around people putting deodorant on his desk were, I cannot imagine!)
My dad was from an era when real men didn't use smellies and 'soap and water is good enough' and no it wasn't.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Gonna go ahead and interpret "I don't smell" as "I stink so bad my nose stopped working and people around me are too polite to mention it"

Exactly.

Very sorry about your brother.

Labour party meetings can be very turgid so unless someone knows different, might not be best place to go in your current mood. They might have some socials on though maybe a summer BBQ or similar or stalls you could help out at if you can face the public! (I knew we're always scraping around for people willing to stand in the main shopping thoroughfare for an hour or so on a Saturday morning!)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Are those the ones who don't require their members to be either Jewish or members of the Labour Party?

e: no, that's JLM. This poo poo is complicated.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Wolfsbane posted:

Are those the ones who don't require their members to be either Jewish or members of the Labour Party?

JVL are basically saying "We're Jewish and we don't believe that Labour is institutionally antisemitic - in fact we think they're doing a good job in making efforts to stamp this stuff out. Also the other parties are way worse for antisemitism and racism in general".

So yeah, JVL are not the JLM - which is the group Ruth Smeeth is involved with.

E: JVL say that they are not "anti-Zionist" but that they seek to provide a voice for those who do not support JLM's "profoundly Zionist orientation".

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

I keep forgetting which one is the psychotic war freaks club and which is the jewish labour org.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Absolutely nothing to indicate that the perpetrator was anything to do with the Labour party, yet they manage to make it sound like the Labour party are running death camps. Getting sick of this. Especially as they haven't opened comments under this article (which is rare for the Independent).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/antisemitic-jews-dirty-st-albans-police-video-assault-labour-jeremy-corbyn-a9040191.html

Found the twitter feed. More than a few calling him out on smearing labour in this.

https://twitter.com/tswyatt/status/1158475056361680896

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 6, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Absolutely nothing to indicate that the perpetrator was anything to do with the Labour party, yet they manage to make it sound like the Labour party are running death camps. Getting sick of this. Especially as they haven't opened comments under this article (which is rare for the Independent).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/antisemitic-jews-dirty-st-albans-police-video-assault-labour-jeremy-corbyn-a9040191.html

Found the twitter feed. More than a few calling him out on smearing labour in this.

https://twitter.com/tswyatt/status/1158475056361680896

Ugh loving hell I hate to see this poo poo in my city. Some oval office spat on a homeless guy when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Ugh loving hell I hate to see this poo poo in my city. Some oval office spat on a homeless guy when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

People being vile to each other has increased exponentially since the EU referendum unleashed hell upon the nation.