Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I do think that outside the dangling plot thread in Q-Who, Guinan is a great example of how to introduce a mystery into your show that gets explained just enough. Via Time's Arrow and Generations you get some roundabout ideas as to what the deal could be with her powers and epic relationship with Picard, but those revelations still leave a lot of room to the imagination. You're never concretely told whether that's the whole story or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Such a fine line between Guinan and Tom Bombadil

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If they had Guinan in STP, would that be awesome or horrible? I honestly can't decide.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

If they had Guinan in STP, would that be awesome or horrible? I honestly can't decide.

De-ageing these ageless characters is going to get expensive fast but yeah it would be cool.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They can use modern vfx technology to finally depict the universe erupting from guinan's hat

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Guinan is a great example of how to introduce a mystery into your show that gets explained just enough.

I also love that the focus of the show is never "What's Guinan's whole deal? Tune in next week to find out!" It's the sort of thing a modern show would tease out forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MikeJF posted:

He designed it in his spare time, but building it was a full-team effort for a week.

Maybe they stripped an existing shuttle for the stuff like the warp system and fitted them into a new spaceframe with upgrades.

There would end up being a far better episode of Battlestar Galactica about this. A lot of Enterprise, and Voyager episodes would end up going on to be better BSG episodes (because Ronald Moore wrote TNG).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I also love that the focus of the show is never "What's Guinan's whole deal? Tune in next week to find out!" It's the sort of thing a modern show would tease out forever.

Also as I've pointed out before, in our new landscape, Guinan vs. Q would have been a Harry Potter battle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Q doesn't seem to have any problem dealing with the Borg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi2HO5e_oeM

It's also possible that while the Borg had some impressive successes, maybe they're not so great at integrating all unique abilities and perspectives from assimilated species. It's not like anyone's doublechecking their work.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I had heard of this before but never checked it out. At first I was like "yay more TNG!" but ugh even with DeLancie it's loving terrible. Even DeLancie himself is hardly turning in his best performance. I lasted 10 minutes.

Honestly I don't remember Show Q being this much of a dick, and he's a huge dick in the show.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

the borg are like someone who seems really cool when you casually hang a few times then you go on a full on date and their "dress up" hair is a slicked back look and they keep steering the conversation back to close up magic

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Voyager is being studied by hyper-advanced space faring dinosaurs! Literal dinosaurs! How silly!

Oh wait, this is actually a very good episode.

Why is the dinosaur episode legitimately good?

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Is Dax a Klingaboo? Discuss.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

CptAwesome posted:

yes and also worf

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CptAwesome posted:

Dax's host is kind of a Kangaroo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

Voyager is being studied by hyper-advanced space faring dinosaurs! Literal dinosaurs! How silly!

Oh wait, this is actually a very good episode.

Why is the dinosaur episode legitimately good?

Other than being the nth example of Earth Thing Shows Up in Delta Quadrant

And the n+1th example of biology being dumb on Trek (simulated evolution with no knowledge of selective pressures)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Dax's host is kind of a Kangaroo.

Klingaroo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In Yesterday's Enterprise, Guinan was able to tell the timeline had been altered and things were wrong.

Soran said that El-Aurians are called a race of "listeners," but what does that really mean? It means they're living bullshit detectors. Guinan could sense changes to reality. And what does that mean to Q? It means she can ruin his fun, because his fun is loving with people. She doesn't pose any existential threat to him, she's a threat to his ability to entertain himself by screwing with Picard and co.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

lost my old email posted:

yes and also worf

Worf is arguably the bigger wannabe because he was raised by humans and continually idolizes a completely false and idealized version of Klingon culture that does not exist, no matter how many times his actual experiences have proven otherwise. At least Dax’s former host was an actual diplomat with actual experience on the homeworld.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

maybe malcolm mcdowell was playing a nutter who was full of poo poo tho? soryy for posting outlandish fan theorising

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worf is arguably the bigger wannabe because he was raised by humans and continually idolizes a completely false and idealized version of Klingon culture that does not exist, no matter how many times his actual experiences have proven otherwise. At least Dax’s former host was an actual diplomat with actual experience on the homeworld.

dax was the overconfident alpha weeb to worf's hikikomori

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Other than being the nth example of Earth Thing Shows Up in Delta Quadrant

And the n+1th example of biology being dumb on Trek (simulated evolution with no knowledge of selective pressures)
Yeah, the premise is silly as heck, but the episode was very surprisingly good.

It's like pointing out that the language in Darmok made no sense. That's not really the point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

In Yesterday's Enterprise, Guinan was able to tell the timeline had been altered and things were wrong.

Soran said that El-Aurians are called a race of "listeners," but what does that really mean? It means they're living bullshit detectors. Guinan could sense changes to reality. And what does that mean to Q? It means she can ruin his fun, because his fun is loving with people. She doesn't pose any existential threat to him, she's a threat to his ability to entertain himself by screwing with Picard and co.

This is not the text of the scene.

The actual problem being encountered once again is that Star Trek is not written to be internally consistent with itself.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I honestly kind of wish they'd done the un-Voyager (and yet so very Voyager, given 7's whole arc, basically) thing and more or less put Seska in a headlock, then drag her back to the ship and keep going. No, you don't get to leave the ship and be a crazy cultural contamination for this quadrant. You're part of this crew, whether you like it or not, and you are coming with us.

poo poo, her betrayal, ultimately, caused fewer deaths and less havoc than half a dozen incidents caused by main cast members in various series for various reasons, and, you know what? You move on, and you heal, and you forgive, even if you have to slap her into the brig for a few months and then keep an eye on her pretty much 24/7 from then on.

I know it would've taken a hell of a lot of non-Voyager writing and show direction to accomplish it, but I think she could have been a really interesting long-term character. Especially after the whole 7 introduction. poo poo, she might have even managed to give Beltran something to do other than be depressed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm all for keeping Seska on as conflict, but in general, I'm not really on board with the idea of the Space Nazi infiltrator that bragged about being a Space Nazi infiltrator and that if they were all Space Nazis they'd be home by now being given quarter and forgiveness.

Keep her around, keep her consistent, but never stop making her the token evil teammate that no one trusts or likes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuturePastNow posted:

Soran also had a poo poo-ton of material cut from the final film.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Eiba posted:

Yeah, the premise is silly as heck, but the episode was very surprisingly good.

It's like pointing out that the language in Darmok made no sense. That's not really the point.

On the other hand...

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1157048746602987520

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/798006664989470720

Darmok was ahead of it's time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

There would end up being a far better episode of Battlestar Galactica about this. A lot of Enterprise, and Voyager episodes would end up going on to be better BSG episodes (because Ronald Moore wrote TNG).

Also great because while they did some cool stuff with that ship it blew up the first time it saw serious action because it was built out of scrap by people in their spare time, of course it wasn't going to be the most advanced and awesome thing ever that would be stupid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

teamcharlie posted:

Remember, STD is what happens when current Trek showrunners try to make their own poo poo. Spoilers: it's actual human poo poo.
Their own poo poo? Spock has been a focal point from the start. loving Pike and the Enterprise were season 2. It's been a neverending cavalcade of "remember the things you like?"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Now that I've had some time to digest it, i think my favorite part of the Voyager ending is that they show you, the viewer, Earth for about 2 and a half seconds in the LAST SHOT of the episode. No scene of everyone starting at the viewscreen in awe, no "Attention all hands: ...we're home." not even a reuse of the footage from the beginning of the episode where Voyager is shown on Earth.

It feels so much like a copout I almost can't believe it's there. Seven years of reminiscing and dreaming about what being back on Earth would be like, and then we get shown a distant jpeg of it and cut to black. I think Earth had more screentime in the epiosde where Seven shows Naomi a picture of Earth in Astrometrics. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so...Voyager.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

curiousTerminal posted:

Now that I've had some time to digest it, i think my favorite part of the Voyager ending is that they show you, the viewer, Earth for about 2 and a half seconds in the LAST SHOT of the episode. No scene of everyone starting at the viewscreen in awe, no "Attention all hands: ...we're home." not even a reuse of the footage from the beginning of the episode where Voyager is shown on Earth.

It feels so much like a copout I almost can't believe it's there. Seven years of reminiscing and dreaming about what being back on Earth would be like, and then we get shown a distant jpeg of it and cut to black. I think Earth had more screentime in the epiosde where Seven shows Naomi a picture of Earth in Astrometrics. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so...Voyager.

Berman and Braga had tossed the running of Voyager to Kenneth Biller in the seventh season because they were busy developing Enterprise, and ... yeah, he wrote that episode and he was not very good at his job.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Trek needs more pizza-themed episodes.

Maybe an episode of Picard where he orders a pizza from a nearby pizzeria, and they beam it to his home and he eats pizza with Data.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Well, now I'm thinking of Star Trek and pizza and my brain has decided this stupid thing needs to exist:

TOS - Cheese Pizza - It's a great start and satisfies most people
TNG - Pepperoni Pizza - It's a classic everyone loves
DS9 - Supreme Pizza - The best pizza, but most of your friends are far too picky to ever try it.
VOY - Hawaiian Pizza - It's... not great, not the worst. Inexplicably popular.
ENT - A St. Louis-style pineapple and anchovy pizza someone who's just so loving tired of cooking made from scratch without first washing their hands - Easily the worst

The only thing I'v seen of STD is the first two episodes and then the stupidest poo poo in gif format so I guess it would be some artisan pizza that people who like it really loving like it but most people haven't ever tried more than the sample, but the sample was made by a different person who doesn't work at the restaurant anymore.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 6, 2019

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Disco is the hip, fun "healthy pizza" made out of nothing but fruit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
STD is the grilled cheese made with ketchup, kraft singles and 8+ year old dried oregano. Really lovely, and not actually pizza.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

curiousTerminal posted:

Disco is the hip, fun "healthy pizza" made out of nothing but fruit.

I’m calling the HUAC Hotline and then the cops.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
ThinkGeek Star Trek Enterprise Pizza Cutter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FQDWP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HQvsDb05DC3HH

If you're not cutting pizza with this you're losing at life.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

8one6 posted:

Well, now I'm thinking of Star Trek and pizza and my brain has decided this stupid thing needs to exist:

TOS - Cheese Pizza - It's a great start and satisfies most people
TNG - Pepperoni Pizza - It's a classic everyone loves
DS9 - Supreme Pizza - The best pizza, but most of your friends are far too picky to ever try it.
VOY - Hawaiian Pizza - It's... not great, not the worst. Inexplicably popular.
ENT - A St. Louis-style pineapple and anchovy pizza someone who's just so loving tired of cooking made from scratch without first washing their hands - Easily the worst

The only thing I'v seen of STD is the first two episodes and then the stupidest poo poo in gif format so I guess it would be some artisan pizza that people who like it really loving like it but most people haven't ever tried more than the sample, but the sample was made by a different person who doesn't work at the restaurant anymore.

Uh-oh, looks like we're caught in a temporal causality loop again

Sir Lemming posted:

TOS is cheese pizza, but not from NY, but it's the best you could get at the time so you just dealt with it
TNG is NY pizza, but it has pepperoni which gives it slightly less universal appeal, but only slightly
DS9 is pizza you get in Italy that isn't like American pizza at all, but some people swear by it
VOY is Domino's
ENT is some place called "NY Pizza" in the south, you know they're trying really hard but they're just not quite getting it right

JJTrek is one of those Taco Bells that also has a Pizza Hut inside

(I haven't seen Discovery)

Sir Lemming posted:

Each original franchise movie is a single slice of pizza. Varying quality, but the one constant is that it's not nearly enough to be a full meal.

Sir Lemming posted:

No wait I figured it out, Discovery is like opening a Chicago deep-dish pizza joint in the middle of NYC. It's like okay, this is fine Chicago pizza but what are you doing in the middle of NYC?

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Uh-oh, looks like we're caught in a temporal causality loop again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Bashir was very eager to gently caress his great great grandmother when they went back in time. I've never really watched TOS but I could tell it really was a love letter to it. Great episode.