Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

In which we learn Kieron Gillan was definitely the smart one.

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1157412042292322306?s=19

I mean, it wasn't until I saw the naming scheme for the different time periods that I caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman said it straight up awhile ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Hickman said it straight up awhile ago.

Well he said it was Ten not X, but he didn't specify why at the time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it takes a thousand years...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Sandman posted:

Chances this all turns out to be a side effect of Tony's Snap in Endgame?

Only tangentially related, but I've often thought that a great way for them to bring mutants into the MCU is to reveal that we've all been watching an in medias res "No more mutants" situation that somehow has to be reverse in some kind of House of M adaptation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Only tangentially related, but I've often thought that a great way for them to bring mutants into the MCU is to reveal that we've all been watching an in medias res "No more mutants" situation that somehow has to be reverse in some kind of House of M adaptation.

The next Strange movie focusing on the multi-verse AND co-starring Wanda we might just get something like this. The movie is directly leading to the Wanda/Vision series so bringing Vis back could be part of bringing some more stuff to the MCU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Will be interesting to see how they do it for sure. X-Men being it's own playground of ideas, hopefully it gets to do it's own thing. Not having half of them end up central in Avengers 5 etc. Just listened to Chris Claremont's first episode on Jay and Miles, thanks for linking that with the Fallen Angels episode a bit ago, I've been digging those a lot. Chris was saying how at the time in the 70s since X-Men was an afterthought, they largely weren't allowed to play with Avengers and FF's toys, and had to come up with their own stuff. Which suited them, and they could do pretty much anything they wanted.

The Marvel cinematic universe, while a slam dunk, has been the Avengers series. That's the rhythm of it, but that doesn't fit the X-Men. I don't know if they'd practice much restraint there, but it'd be nice to have a few X-Men films not built around The Avengers. I also need more of the brilliant Deadpool adaptations Fox was making. I say they deserve a free pass to make one more of those, even if it's set in a defunct universe. They got caught in an awkward time.

Enjoyed reading the responses to House/Powers of X in here by the way, intriguing stuff. I'm gonna read the series later on after some older X-stuff, and will leave much of it unspoiled, the excitement around the mystery at the beginning is cool though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I honestly think the X-Men should have their own separate universe from the Avengers/non-mutant heroes. I feel that coexisting with the Avengers dilutes the mutant allegory too much and they get pitted against each other too much (I have a pet peeve for heroes fighting each other).

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Run with it as the quasi-democratization of superpowers. On the one hand, you have to be born a mutant; on the other, you're a lot more likely to be born a mutant than you are to stumble into one of the other methods of gaining superpowers in Marvel.

Maybe with a side order of the older generation trying to screw over the younger because the former is afraid of change and unwilling to own up to their own culpability in leaving a broken mess for their children to inherit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just realized that Hickman is probably bringing Black Tom into X-Men to have some connection with Krakoa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just realized that Hickman is probably bringing Black Tom into X-Men to have some connection with Krakoa.

I'm betting that's not even close to how deep his cuts are going to be. He's said he's not making any new mutant characters because of how stacked the bench is. He'll probably have characters Claremont forgot he created.

Are there any mutants/X characters with prominent roles in other ongoing books right now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

I'm betting that's not even close to how deep his cuts are going to be. He's said he's not making any new mutant characters because of how stacked the bench is. He'll probably have characters Claremont forgot he created.

Are there any mutants/X characters with prominent roles in other ongoing books right now?

I think just Molly in Runaways? The Maximoff twins got retconned out of being mutants, last that I recall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I vaguely remember that but I dont remember what the gently caress they're supposed to be right now either, so mutants they are. :v

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think just Molly in Runaways? The Maximoff twins got retconned out of being mutants, last that I recall.

I think they were retconned out of being Magneto's kids, but they're still mutants?

Edit: Nope, googled it and apparently they're humans who the High Evolutionary futzed with.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

They've had like three, four different origins. There was a 70s retcon where they were briefly the children of golden age superhero the Whizzer, who had been delivered by the High Evolutionary after his wife went into labour while they just so happened to be travelling past Wundagore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is a perfect opportunity to bring my boy Longshot into the fold, mullet and all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cabbit posted:

I think they were retconned out of being Magneto's kids, but they're still mutants?

Edit: Nope, googled it and apparently they're humans who the High Evolutionary futzed with.

The worst part is even by the end of the storyline where the Twins thought that the High Evolutionary was involved in their creation, Vision said that wasn't their real origin. And that their true origin was too shocking to reveal.

And then they never went back to their story.

So it's so vague, I predict they will just roll it back to "Magneto is their Dad. Because it is simple."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

This is a perfect opportunity to bring my boy Longshot into the fold, mullet and all.

I feel like I haven't seen him since some sort of timeloop story where he and shatterstar were each others dads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nevvy Z posted:

I feel like I haven't seen him since some sort of timeloop story where he and shatterstar were each others dads.

Last I saw was Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe, where he got a haircut.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The worst part is even by the end of the storyline where the Twins thought that the High Evolutionary was involved in their creation, Vision said that wasn't their real origin. And that their true origin was too shocking to reveal.

And then they never went back to their story.

So it's so vague, I predict they will just roll it back to "Magneto is their Dad. Because it is simple."

Their mother is a previous Scarlet Witch now and their father may still be unknown?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nevvy Z posted:

Almost: Longshot is a clone of his son Shatterstar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Is Dazzler still Shatterstar's mom?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

Okay, what comic was this story in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Factor 259.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

rantmo posted:

Longshot is Shatterstar's father, and Shatterstar is Longshot's father.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Shatterstar/Longshot thing is beautiful because it perfectly encapsulates everything about just how crazy the X-Men continuity is. It's all the weird family stuff and time travel stuff distilled into basically two characters.

https://uncannyxmen.net/character-related-topics/shatterstar-is-who%E2%80%A6-what%E2%80%A6-huh

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Is Dazzler still Shatterstar's mom?

So far as I know but it's never been addressed directly. She definitely was pregnant and Longshot wanted to name the kid Shatterstar but that's the only confirmation so far as I know. If I'm remembering correctly, when she returned from the Mojoverse after Longshot's failed rebellion, she made a vague comment about losing the pregnancy but since Longshot was captured and had his memory wiped the implication to me was that she had her memory altered too after having the baby. In any event, I don't think they've ever interacted and certainly there's been no indication that she knows. I wish more writers would use her well, she's a great character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

So far as I know but it's never been addressed directly. She definitely was pregnant and Longshot wanted to name the kid Shatterstar but that's the only confirmation so far as I know. If I'm remembering correctly, when she returned from the Mojoverse after Longshot's failed rebellion, she made a vague comment about losing the pregnancy but since Longshot was captured and had his memory wiped the implication to me was that she had her memory altered too after having the baby. In any event, I don't think they've ever interacted and certainly there's been no indication that she knows. I wish more writers would use her well, she's a great character.

Has she shown up in anything since A Force was canned?

Edit: I bet she shows up, since it seems like Hickman wants to do something with mutants being a distinct cultural/ethnic group from humanity and in universe she is far and away the most famous mutant artist.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 6, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just going to double post instead of doing a third edit, but what other mutants would be famous in universe in a pop culture sense and not just because they saved and/or almost destroyed the planet?

Dazzler and Jumbo Carnation are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Longshot if Mojoverse shows ever got aired on Earth?

Fake edit: Can't believe I forgot Lila Cheney at first.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Dazzler was on Havok's knockoff X-Team in, I want to say Astonishing? Her music career has gone to poo poo, again. Also I wonder if Lila is out as a mutant on Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really wish we'd gotten Gillen/McKelvie's Dazzler mini.

https://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/84925044142/dazzler-big-in-attilan

quote:

Her career in the doldrums and critically savaged, Alison Blaire gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. She’s invited to be the first outsider to perform in the Inhumans’ home city. She arrives to find it in strife, between traditionalists outraged at her presence and her fans who – due to Attilan’s East-European Iron-curtain-esque Isolation - only really liked her old-Disco material anyway. After a disastrous, conflict-ruptured gig, the situation takes a bizarre and dangerous turn when a Celestial appears outside the city. Doing nothing. At least until, during an official ball, the classical inhuman music act is disintegrated. Others follow. Dazzler realizes that it’s here, somehow, to judge art. Her band – with Black Bolt guesting on backing vocals – don’t have to just play the gig of their lives – they have to play the gig to save everyone’s lives.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like I don't have Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe in my digital library, but I'm pretty sure there's something in there that lays out the insanity of the Longshot and Shatterstar relationship.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to double post instead of doing a third edit, but what other mutants would be famous in universe in a pop culture sense and not just because they saved and/or almost destroyed the planet?

Dazzler and Jumbo Carnation are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Longshot if Mojoverse shows ever got aired on Earth?

Betsy Braddock was a model although I'm not sure how famous she was as one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

Betsy Braddock was a model although I'm not sure how famous she was as one.

Jamie Braddock was a famous racecar driver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma Frost owns a multi billion dollar company so she's probably featured in like Forbes a lot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Northstar was a professional athlete and author, so he probably at least has a wiki page.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Northstar was a champion skier and very famous in Canada; I can't recall off the top of my head if he was an Olympic medalist or not. He was (imo) pretty plainly based on Jean-Claude Killy, who was stupidly famous in the early '70s and entirely unknown today, but would have still been in the public consciousness when the character was created.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Statix :v:

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Alaois posted:

Lmao, I know they're sequestered in their own weird corner of continuity, but I just finished reading all of X-Statix on Unlimited and they certainly make it seem like they're a huge worldwide phenomenon in those books at least.

I would love it if references to X-Statix would slowly leak into the larger Marvel universe the way Nextwave did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

Ehh, they were definitely famous in universe, but they were designed to be famous for saving the world