Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cessna posted:

transporter that splits you into good and evil?

This was clearly just accidentally accessing a mirror universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think the idea is that, if time slows down as you approach the speed of light, going faster than light reverses time.

It's really silly and meaningless anyway since nothing can exceed the speed of light. Just a quirk of the math if you input things you can't input.

It's like eating 200% of a pie means you're eating negative pie and what does that mean?!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zesty posted:

It's really silly and meaningless anyway since nothing can exceed the speed of light. Just a quirk of the math if you input things you can't input.

It's like eating 200% of a pie means you're eating negative pie and what does that mean?!

For sure, it's an artefact of the times when there was a lot less public literacy about that stuff, including on the writer's side.

Isn't there a theoretical massless particle that's supposed to be superluminal, though? Nutrinos or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Isn't there a theoretical massless particle that's supposed to be superluminal, though? Nutrinos or something?

Tachyons, which would be unable to travel at anything below light speed. No evidence they exist though. Neutrinos are real though very hard to study since they rarely interact with... well, anything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah tachyons

A cool and fun Wikipedia read is Cherenkov Radiation, aka "that blue glow from underwater nuclear reactors."

tl;dr: while the speed of light in a vacuum (c) cannot be surpassed, the speed of light through materials can be less. The speed of light in water is 0.75c. The blue glow is charged particles travelling faster than the speed of light in water and basically leaving light-shockwaves behind them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I can't believe I'm making this post. What the gently caress is this thread doing to me?

It's too late, you're a Trekkie now. There's no going back. Soon you'll have the full set of collectible plates hanging on your wall, and you'll be making an effortpost about all the contradictions in canon regarding cloaking devices in the mirror universe.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Powered Descent posted:

It's too late, you're a Trekkie now. There's no going back. Soon you'll have the full set of collectible plates hanging on your wall, and you'll be making an effortpost about all the contradictions in canon regarding cloaking devices in the mirror universe.

Bring out the Traveler.

“But the Traveler’s asleep.”

WELL WAKE HIM UP, THEN!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah tachyons

A cool and fun Wikipedia read is Cherenkov Radiation, aka "that blue glow from underwater nuclear reactors."

tl;dr: while the speed of light in a vacuum (c) cannot be surpassed, the speed of light through materials can be less. The speed of light in water is 0.75c. The blue glow is charged particles travelling faster than the speed of light in water and basically leaving light-shockwaves behind them.

THIS is why I read the Star Trek thread.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'm extremely comfortable with losing at life, if using that ridiculous gimmick tool is the criteria for success.

I was only playing :eng99:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zesty posted:

It means you inverted the pie's tachyon polarity at peak unmass. Like putting too much air in a balloon!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We Cant Do FTL is very firmly established based on our knowledge of physics

but

Trek exists in a world with physics we do not know about. Subspace is the most obvious example. One little tweak or discovery and we'll be re-writing everything. There is no reason to think this will happen, but there is also no cause to be certain it won't.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah tachyons

This is why the warp engines glow blue

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

:aaaaa:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

So how do the Romulan ones work?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

Very well, thank you

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Payndz posted:

They glow green.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Payndz posted:

Verdankov radiation, duh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Payndz posted:

For that one the particles have to be travelling exactly the same speed as light in the medium, causing a sideways emission of green light known as The Kermit Effect

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Very well, thank you

:haibrow:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Payndz posted:

Oh you know, an "artificial black hole," no biggy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well, an artificial singularity. Not one powerful enough to be a black hole I assume, or Romulan ships wouldn't so much explode as vanish into themselves and try their damnedest to drag anything in their vicinity in too

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wouldn't that mean it's Hawking radiation?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Well, an artificial singularity. Not one powerful enough to be a black hole I assume, or Romulan ships wouldn't so much explode as vanish into themselves and try their damnedest to drag anything in their vicinity in too

One of the best things about STO is that Romulan ships actually do this when destroyed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I haven't seen any episodes dealing with it apart from the one TNG episode where the enterprise C ends up out of time and fucks up Klingon first contact, but I've read about the mirror universe and like that it has a logic to it. It's not just "Evil versions of us" it's an entire alternate history, where first contact with the Vulcans hosed up because humans thought it was an attack and blew them up, a war happened that Earth won and commenced the Terran empire by conquering vulcan and spreading, the klingons ended up joining with the Cardassians or something (Romulans?) to fight the encroaching Terran empire and everything just became a mess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the artificial singularity was just how the Romulans powered their boats. Presumably so they could have theoretically indefinite endurance or at least not need refueling, though I guess the question would then be why doesn't the Federation build some of their big exploration yachts that way?

The Romulans probably just park ships laying around permacloaked. It'd be hilarious to have an episode which was "suddenly, a Romulan bird of prey uncloaks! ... because it was on station for 20 years and the life support had a cascade failure 3 years in and the cloaking device wasn't damaged."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't seen any episodes dealing with it apart from the one TNG episode where the enterprise C ends up out of time and fucks up Klingon first contact, but I've read about the mirror universe and like that it has a logic to it. It's not just "Evil versions of us" it's an entire alternate history, where first contact with the Vulcans hosed up because humans thought it was an attack and blew them up, a war happened that Earth won and commenced the Terran empire by conquering vulcan and spreading, the klingons ended up joining with the Cardassians or something (Romulans?) to fight the encroaching Terran empire and everything just became a mess.

The parallel universe in "Yesterday's Enterprise" is not the same universe that people mean when they talk about the mirror universe, though it's obviously inspired by the concept. The actual mirror universe episodes (i.e. the ones that are supposed to be set in the same parallel universe as "Mirror, Mirror") are mostly in DS9 and Disco, and one two-parter in Enterprise.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

...and the original episode in TOS entitled Mirror, Mirror.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Tighclops posted:

nah that is just fast rear end dolphins

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i have a whole dork rear end theory as to how the mirror universe is actually Extremely Hard Sci-Fi because it is a reflection of the whole 4 dimensional spacetime rather than something that branched off from our universe from a single point but i am not going to post it again because instead i will implicitly suggest at all the pertinent features in an offhand fashion in this very post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

The parallel universe in "Yesterday's Enterprise" is not the same universe that people mean when they talk about the mirror universe, though it's obviously inspired by the concept. The actual mirror universe episodes (i.e. the ones that are supposed to be set in the same parallel universe as "Mirror, Mirror") are mostly in DS9 and Disco, and one two-parter in Enterprise.
Yeah there are several episodes of all the series where you see a ‘dark alternate universe’ like on TNG in Yesterday’s Enterprise and also for a few seconds in ‘Parallels’. Or on DS9 in The Visitor, Voyager with ‘Year of Hell’, or Enterprise with ‘E2’

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

I brought up the slingshot thing as a solution to another Voyager problem (when they got stuck on 20th century earth) and people here said that method of time travel is highly classified and only known to the TOS Enterprise crew.

Too bad nobody on Voyager served with any of the TOS crew on another ship for years and years...

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
goofus and gallant but goofus is watching voyager and gallant is watching ds9

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Astroman posted:

Too bad nobody on Voyager served with any of the TOS crew on another ship for years and years...

Are we talking about Tuvok? Because he served with TOS crew members for like 20 minutes before saying "gently caress humans, I'm out."

Not seeing a context in which Sulu or Rand would be all "why yes, the most junior of junior officers, let me tell you highly classified information for no reason."

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

McNally posted:

Not seeing a context in which Sulu or Rand would be all "why yes, the most junior of junior officers, let me tell you highly classified information for no reason."

established captain relaxing slightly after handing out a dressing down posted:

"....you know... you remind me of my younger self..."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That brings up something I actually was wondering about the other day -- I wonder if any of the impetus for "Yesterday's Enterprise" was they wanted to do something like the mirror universe from TOS, but didn't want to just lift the idea wholesale. At the time they wouldn't have known that it would become a Trek staple. I never read anything like that in the background information about the episode, but it seems likely to me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wouldn't be surprised. They did a lot early on to separate themselves from TOS.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

That brings up something I actually was wondering about the other day -- I wonder if any of the impetus for "Yesterday's Enterprise" was they wanted to do something like the mirror universe from TOS, but didn't want to just lift the idea wholesale. At the time they wouldn't have known that it would become a Trek staple. I never read anything like that in the background information about the episode, but it seems likely to me.

i think they liked denise crosby just enough to bring her back but not so much that they wouldn't harass her off the show again

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

admittedly i havent seen it but i read about it on that nerd trek wikia and yeah the vulcans landed and humans killed them, raided their ships, and conquered the quadrant. which is kind of the equivalent of the native americans arrowing colombus in the head and using his ships to conquer earth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sir Lemming posted:

The original concept that became Yesterday’s Enterprise was like a mashup of Mirror Mirror and City on the Edge of Forever. Time researchers use the Guardian of Forever and accidentally kill Surak and the Vulcans turn into an aggressive empire about to destroy the Federation (and Tasha is on the ship). In the end Sarek goes back in time and stays in the past, taking on the identity of Surak to make sure the Vulcans turn out less assholish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Wouldn't that mean it's Hawking radiation?

Yes. A singularity of the right mass could be harnessed to generate power as long as you can feed matter into it, similar in efficience to a matter-antimatter reaction. With the minor caveat that if you feed too much mass into it, it'll swallow your ship, and if you feed too little or stop, it goes critical and, uh, evaporates catastrophically.