Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerkface posted:

My read on it is that Ripley was loving agitating about an alien and bringing her along gives Burke ample room to get rid of her after using her for her knowledge of the alien.

Basebf555 posted:

Burke's reasoning for wanting her to come along is a little tougher, but I guess the alien that destroyed the Nostromo is probably a company legend and he wants her there to identify it and confirm that it's the same thing so that he doesn't waste his time. She's the only living person who's actually seen one.

It's all this, Ripley is a loose end and also, I always got the impression that even Burke going was atypical and he just pulled whatever strings to go along and make sure a chump like Gorman was in charge under the impression that it was just a routine checkup thing with just him/Gorman/Ripley chatting about how it might be the aliens until they're actually on the ship and Ripley speaks.

Basebf555 posted:

It's both really. She wasn't ever going to be a pilot again if she didn't both overcome her trauma and get the license, so this was an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. You get the feeling that she hadn't even tried to get the license back before this because she didn't feel comfortable going back into space again.

Edit: was she actually a pilot, wasn't she like the safety officer or something? Anyway she needed to be reinstated, whatever she was.

Officially she's a Class 1 Lieutenant Warrant Officer which has slightly different meanings today depending on the country but is very typical for like a helicopter or other type of pilot that requires some heavy technical skill. The Nostromo has a helicopter on board but I'm assuming piloting spacecraft with the massive equipment/refinery/etc. hooked up to it and making all that move in exchange for some shares is the specialized thing in question. Resurrection is dogshit but part of why they're able to escape is because Ripley's able to pilot the ship out of there. In Aliens she loses that and is working as a cargo loader (with a cargo loader) so in a hyper military corporate world like we what we see of the setting in the movies getting that back would be pretty sweet.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's presumably like mariner's licenses except for spaceflight more than anything else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I unironically hope the RPG coming out delves down into some of this minutiae.

licensure, labor organizing, griping about shares. It's good grist for some low level conflict and world building instead of just constantly chucking facehuggers and spores and stuff at the players.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's too bad the alien rpg videogame was canceled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

licensure, labor organizing, griping about shares. It's good grist for some low level conflict and world building instead of just constantly chucking facehuggers and spores and stuff at the players.

The old ‘Aliens’ RPG by Leading Edge leaned pretty heavily on that kind of minutiae, the logic being that fighting Aliens non-stop would get old.
The RPG was very Colonial Marines centric, and delved into typical deployments a Marine could expect (genuine “bug hunts”, mediating corporate disputes or colonist labor uprisings, hostile military actions, etc). It was geared towards players making Marine characters, but it had sub-sections about making civilian characters, corporate characters, private military contractors, etc.

The authors of the new RPG have acknowledged that the old RPG exists, but haven’t said if/how much of it was carried over into the new RPG.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Neo Rasa posted:

It's all this, Ripley is a loose end and also, I always got the impression that even Burke going was atypical and he just pulled whatever strings to go along and make sure a chump like Gorman was in charge under the impression that it was just a routine checkup thing with just him/Gorman/Ripley chatting about how it might be the aliens until they're actually on the ship and Ripley speaks.

Actually I figure Burke was fairly sincere about Ripley being along as a consultant at first, as witnesses go she was pretty much neutralized already as a "nutcase who saw a monster" so why do something to give her credibility like hire her for advice? He just probably figured she would go along with his plan/could be bribed, and certainly didn't figure on her reviewing the colony logs to implicate him. Once she turned on him, then he shifted to "kill the witness" mode. The movie seemed pretty clear Burke didn't plan so much as frantically make poo poo up as he went, so I can buy him genuinely wanting an expert at the start (when they knew jack poo poo about the aliens even existing) and only shifting to hostility later when his rear end was suddenly on the line.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The sample adventure for the RPG at least seemed to be pretty good about having all the characters with various non-monster related agendas, many of which would cheerfully come into conflict with each other/encourage "non-optimal play" (can't score for your drug habit all bunched up in a group and such). Felt really drat lethal though, not sure if that's because it was designed as a convention game or not, but seemed pretty set up for people to drop like flies (and even a semi-optional way to get extra potential PCs into the fray later on to deal with the casualty counts rising).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

With the general assumption they had seen some type of "bugs" on planets before, Burke just figured he would be ground floor on a brand new one that would get him money/promotion/whatever. Hire an expert, capture the bug for study, easy thing. Issue was, they were more dangerous than people counted on, and they hosed up multiple times in deployment. Even still, he was trying to figure out a way to profit from it in the end.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I liked how the first words out of Burke's mouth were (might be paraphrasing a bit) "I work for the company, but don't worry, I'm an OK guy."

I find a lot of subtext in that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

As far as her motivations for going, the pilot's license is what Burke offers her, but she's going for the sake of closure moreso than that.

Her closure was the end of Alien, the whole "I'm having bad-dreams of my house burning down, so I'm going back into another one to make sure the firefighters take care of this other fire" thing doesn't feel believable to me. Ultimately it doesn't matter since Aliens owns, so you don't care about the weaker points. It's a shame we don't get to see any of Ripley's lovely civilian life that really drives home her want to get the gently caress out of that life and back on a freighter.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Don’t worry, now that Disney owns Fox they’re saving that for the remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Her closure was the end of Alien, the whole "I'm having bad-dreams of my house burning down, so I'm going back into another one to make sure the firefighters take care of this other fire" thing doesn't feel believable to me. Ultimately it doesn't matter since Aliens owns, so you don't care about the weaker points. It's a shame we don't get to see any of Ripley's lovely civilian life that really drives home her want to get the gently caress out of that life and back on a freighter.

I mean speaking as someone who has been in a house fire, it isn't about going into a burning house. It's about finding ways to confront the fear and memories and see they are not as bad as you thought. I still have nightmares about it sometimes but a lot of what helped was finding situations to realize it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Ripley was going back to the colony with a squadron of heavily armed marines. If not for a few specific things it would have been them murdering a whole lot of aliens.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, her thinking was that seeing xenos properly stomped by superior human technology would help her stop having constant nightmares about them and being stupidly paranoid about them taking over the planet. Too bad about how all that worked out, I guess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t worry, now that Disney owns Fox they’re saving that for the remake.

Please don't.

I can't wait for the musical number in the next Alien prequel.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean speaking as someone who has been in a house fire, it isn't about going into a burning house. It's about finding ways to confront the fear and memories and see they are not as bad as you thought. I still have nightmares about it sometimes but a lot of what helped was finding situations to realize it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Ripley was going back to the colony with a squadron of heavily armed marines. If not for a few specific things it would have been them murdering a whole lot of aliens.

I don't know, if something like Alien happened I don't think a single loving person on all of planet earth would set foot on that planet with such god drat horrors in it. Especially someone as smart as Ripley. "I hope you're right, I really do, because just one of those things managed to wipe out my entire crew in less than 24 hours, now if the colonists have found that ship, there's no telling how many have been exposed. Do you understand?" Ripley doesn't even have confidence in the squad of mercs she's going in with.

I had a friend that went through some terrible poo poo when she was younger and her therapist, years later, suggested she confronted the person that did the terrible poo poo to her in person for some dumb reason and it hosed her up something fierce. I've also dealt with some terrible poo poo that I'd never go and revisit, though not as grave.

Again, it ultimately doesn't matter since the film is great but I don't buy Ripley ever wanting to go back for any reason outside of being forced to or civilian life being so terrible that facing potential horrific death again would be better than living that existence.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Don't forget, that aside from losing her career and like 50 years of time, she finds out in one of the extended scenes that her daughter has died while she was away. Literally everything has been taken from her and she has nothing left to go back to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Class Warcraft posted:

Don't forget, that aside from losing her career and like 50 years of time, she finds out in one of the extended scenes that her daughter has died while she was away. Literally everything has been taken from her and she has nothing left to go back to.

EXCUSE ME

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably posted this fun fact before, but it's worth a repost - Ripley's terminal in the Nostromo cockpit had a photo of Jones as a kitten, meaning he was specifically her cat.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Love that detail, but it could just mean he's the ship cat (rats get everywhere) and she's been posted to the Nostromo for awhile.

But he's definitely her cat by the end, so yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cats in every Alien movie should've become the tradition instead of androids.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Cats in every Alien movie should've become the tradition instead of androids.

Yoshitaka Amano: Why not both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEecr7N0LAY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best thing about Jones is how the the theatrical cut is edited in such a way as to inadvertently say that the Alien may be legit terrified by cats or/and Jones in particular.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

Love that detail, but it could just mean he's the ship cat (rats get everywhere) and she's been posted to the Nostromo for awhile.

But he's definitely her cat by the end, so yeah

Interestingly enough, Ripley was a reasonably new addition to the crew according to the script. There’s a line where Ripley confronts Ash on where he came from since he was a last minute replacement:

quote:

RIPLEY
Did you ship out with Ash before.

DALLAS
First time. I went five hauls
with another science man. Then
two days before we left Thedus,
replaced him with Ash.

She looks at him.

DALLAS
So what. They replaced my
warrant officer with you.

It isn’t clear from the script when Ripley got assigned to the Nostromo, but I know one of the official timelines out there gives a date.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neo Rasa posted:

The best thing about Jones is how the the theatrical cut is edited in such a way as to inadvertently say that the Alien may be legit terrified by cats or/and Jones in particular.

Its deliberate. It's another use of Egyptian imagery and iconography that implies the Alien is more than mortal.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Neo Rasa posted:

Jones might be a Flerken

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Considering that common domestic housecats are basically as dangerous as flerken, you could go either way on it.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Its deliberate. It's another use of Egyptian imagery and iconography that implies the Alien is more than mortal.

Could you elaborate on this? I’ve never thought of the movie from an Egyptian imagery angle before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nemesis_hub posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I’ve never thought of the movie from an Egyptian imagery angle before.

Did you not notice the Weyland-Yutani symbol in the first film?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s more overt in Prometheus (which is literally a ‘curse of the mummy’s tomb’ movie, in space).

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

The_Doctor posted:

I was always struck by the fact that they all have the Purina dog chow logo on their suits, which was thermally accurate

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If anyone here hasn't listened to the Audible adaptation of Gibson's Alien III script, you owe it to yourself to do so.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

This looks more Native American than Egyptian.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sigher posted:

google "egyptian wings" and you'll see a bunch of images that look like that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

sigher posted:

Dont let the turquoise fool you, it is extremely Egyptian my dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The circle in the middle is I assume meant to be the sun, so the symbol probably refers to Ra, the Egyptian God of the sun and sky and basically all of physical creation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sigher posted:

It don't matter when it's Pharah from Overwatch baby.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was Jones the cat mummified?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Was Jones the cat mummified?

He didn't go back to LV-426 in Aliens, so I guess we can hope he was adopted by a loving family after Ripley never came home.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

Blade Runner similarly with the pyramids, Scott mentions it on the commentary for Alien how they wanted to go with something pharaonic for the company logo as a visual cue for how the corporations are that insanely powerful in the future even beyond what we know today. It would be more to chew on if the pyramid bit had been filmed for the movie but no dice.

Check out the WY Weyland-Yutani logo too, they were intentional at that time about the corporate logos being monolithic in nature, like if you saw it carved into a five thousand year old ruin it wouldn't be out of place, but it also doesn't stand out too much on the side of a modern building or on an ID card or whatever.

Similarly with Blade Runner though with corporate structure being not just a powerful force but your actual, direction of the future of humanity determining all-knowing god, the movie literally opens up by evoking the eye of Horus, the literal, actual "all seeing eye" eye in the pyramid that's been around for some time and also adorns all US bills. Tyrell sleeps in a bed directly modeled after the Pope's. He dies by specifically getting his eyes gouged out. That eye in the pyramid, due to it being on US dollar bills we often associate it with a phrase that on the surface can be said to be evoking teamwork or whatever but like, come on, "From many, one"?

There's quite a bit going on in both of those movies in the background that goes beyond "huh wow corporations are like the new government amirite?" that isn't explicitly stated but says a lot about being trained to have corporate identity instead of just loyalty.

In the age where random people were dropping off flowers at Apple stores when Steve Jobs died and he got like three full length movies about him within two years of his passing I think that's a side of the franchise that was extremely prescient.

Like in Prometheus I don't think someone could get to the level Weylan does without

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 9, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He didn't go back to LV-426 in Aliens, so I guess we can hope he was adopted by a loving family after Ripley never came home.

With Disney owning both franchises anyway they genuinely hosed up by not using CG to have the Flerken in Captain Marvel look exactly like and also be named Jones.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If anyone here hasn't listened to the Audible adaptation of Gibson's Alien III script, you owe it to yourself to do so.

I started reading the comic adaptation (which the Audible drama is based on), it’s neat so far but parts of it feel disjointed. I’m not that familiar with the script so I’m not sure if that’s the script’s fault, or the comic adaptation’s.

I’m planning to re-read the script and listen to the Audible drama after I finish the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I started reading the comic adaptation (which the Audible drama is based on), it’s neat so far but parts of it feel disjointed. I’m not that familiar with the script so I’m not sure if that’s the script’s fault, or the comic adaptation’s.

I’m planning to re-read the script and listen to the Audible drama after I finish the comic.

I'm curious about that too. My only frame of reference for something like that is the comic "Frank Miller's RoboCop 2" which, despite the name, was not written by him and is more a loose adaptation than a real attempt to do whatever he was trying to accomplish with that. This might be similar.

Either way I'm getting the Audible one soon and looking forward to it.