Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Tabletops posted:

wait is this a thread where people are really actually mad about EGS or is this a comedy thread where we invent or borrow online personas of spiteful nerds in an attempt at making jokes

It's the thread that tells me that getting anything Epic related is a bad idea.

I'll just wait until the stuff that's exclusive goes not-exclusive, it's not like it's essential to my wellbeing exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

And while Epic is, at the end of the day, an industry titan deserving of some of the scrutiny that gets hurled its way, it’s at least taking a stand instead of washing its hands of the situation like Valve and other big companies have for so long.

:rolleyes: Oh, gently caress off. They're taking the free-est PR bump in the universe and you're falling over yourself to kiss their feet for it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Koorisch posted:

It's the thread that tells me that getting anything Epic related is a bad idea.

I'll just wait until the stuff that's exclusive goes not-exclusive, it's not like it's essential to my wellbeing exactly.

see this is what i'm talking about i just can't tell anymore

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"Taking a stand" lol

Epic is the Rosa Parks of game companies!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does toxic gamers mean anything anymore or can we just move onto the next phrase.

I like poison mushrooms.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does toxic gamers mean anything anymore or can we just move onto the next phrase.

I like poison mushrooms.

toxic gamers means people I disagree with

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tabletops posted:

see this is what i'm talking about i just can't tell anymore
Here's a take you'll be interested in:

I can't believe Epic chose the nazi number (88%) as their cut (it's clearly not some mathematically efficient cut, and 85% would have worked just as nicely from a marketing perspective and even given them better profit), and they're somehow championed as progressive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally im just mad that nobody at all has brought up the devs being shitheads to an autistic person going 'hey that meme you liked kinda sucks'

its not a huge deal but i think if you're in the business of making the ooblets devs and the egs guys into woke champions you'd care at all that they couldn't walk the walk

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Kanine posted:

oh cool, cool nevermind, targeted harassment campaigns are great now thanks thread

If you come off as a smarmy entitled rear end in a top hat and alienate your core Patreon supporters with idiotic sarcasm, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Don't fly back to your twitter echo chamber crying wolf because nobody forced you to act like a doofus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ofc game journo/game dev wokeness has only ever cared about minority groups if they live in la and have an opinion on mass effect 3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't much care for Phil Fish wannabe assholes that haven't even released a single game yet. I'm not going to harass them on Twitter, I just won't buy their games.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ka0 posted:

If you come off as a smarmy entitled rear end in a top hat and alienate your core Patreon supporters with idiotic sarcasm, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Don't fly back to your twitter echo chamber crying wolf because nobody forced you to act like a doofus.

Thats my stance as well.

All the harassment the ooblets devs gotten is awful, sure, but putting out such a smarmy announcement and following it up by being toxic assholes to their fans and supporters invited this backlash once word got out about how they treated their fanbase.

I can't really muster up any sympathy for the devs because they were the ones who decided it was fine to poo poo on their supporters and started this debacle to begin with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To me the patreon thing is the rub. To be so dismissive & derisive towards the people who were, assumedly, literally keeping the lights on this whole time.

E: I will say their patreon has rebounded exactly in time with all the "brave indie devs v. toxic gamers" articles going up, so useful idiots continue to be useful I guess.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 7, 2019

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I said come in! posted:

Don't much care for Phil Fish wannabe assholes that haven't even released a single game yet. I'm not going to harass them on Twitter, I just won't buy their games.

I'm gonna harass you, right now in this thread

Idiot

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I guess it is a shame that game devs are being harassed on twitter but personally I'm going to divert my limited amount of concern to things that actually matter, like global warming.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The thing about BFV was the Devs saying they'd "never give in to the chuds" they immediately pulled any and all fun cosmetics out of the game and turned it into another brown/green/blue mess.

The attempts at trying to manipulate and create pockets of the culture war online in order to deflect criticism and complaints about your game has been happening for a while. It's largely failed until now, but epic, like with everything they've ever done, got lucky and managed to force that narrative.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm gonna harass you, right now in this thread

Idiot

entitled gamer baby.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guys, cool it a bit, some of you. I think it's possible to talk about this subject without resolving to attacks and generalizations on what the other side's argument actually is. I don't think that people who criticized Epic and said that the devs made a mistake with their initial announcement are monsters. Similarly people who think that an announcement from a studio shouldn't be met with such an insane backlash no matter how rude the message was have a point. I believe that we can talk about this calmly and maybe even shift some opinions in a civil discourse.

At the same time I feel like this entire situation already mutated into something new entirely. While at the time of the first announcement I believed that the devs acted unprofessionally towards game's backers and some sincere critics - the current consequences, the backlash, the ongoing harassment are on a level that I can't blame the studio for. They shouldn't have to face this no matter what their initial attitude was. Losing sales because of some disappointed customers would be fair, being thrown into the middle of an insane culture war between sides that only care about this as an excuse to lash out at the other side isn't. Also Epic's response which instead of calming people down further escalates the situation in order to gain a narrative advantage in the future is pretty shameless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Palpek posted:

Similarly people who think that an announcement from a studio shouldn't be met with such an insane backlash no matter how rude the message was have a point.

Who here has actually indicated they thought that?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Given that Glumberland already blew through the money of a publishing deal and a 1200-person Patreon by moving to the city with the third-highest cost of living in the entire US, I’m not saying this’ll happen, but what would happen if a dev took an EGS deal and then cancelled the game?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

nessin posted:

Who here has actually indicated they thought that?
For example:

Rusty posted:

I mean, it is just a video game announcement that has turned in to a full on harassment campaign and I am sure a real fun situation for people who just thought they were making jokes. It's really all over the top for a little video game so I kind of agree with the global warming sentiment.

Rusty posted:

I mean, the whole thing is all over every social media platform, several threads in this forum, talked about constantly on Reddit and the people involved are being harassed non-stop since the announcement. Seems like a big gulf between wow, that wasn't well thought out and maybe too passive aggressive and let's ruin their lives over this.
I'm not saying that this is my exact opinion. Just that we're used to the over the top internet backlash no matter how big the reason is but it's ok to talk about how it's not normal at all and people that express this opinion have a point. In the end this wasn't some huge anticipated game that everybody was waiting for like Battlefield V, almost nobody knew about it and certainly not the ammount of people harassing devs over this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

can only speak for myself, but I was patiently waiting for and following this game for 2+ years.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Palpek posted:

At the same time I feel like this entire situation already mutated into something new entirely. While at the time of the first announcement I believed that the devs acted unprofessionally towards game's backers and some sincere critics - the current consequences, the backlash, the ongoing harassment are on a level that I can't blame the studio for. They shouldn't have to face this no matter what their initial attitude was. Losing sales because of some disappointed customers would be fair, being thrown into the middle of an insane culture war between sides that only care about this as an excuse to lash out at the other side isn't. Also Epic's response which instead of calming people down further escalates the situation in order to gain a narrative advantage in the future is pretty shameless.

I know there's a chart somewhere, where you can plot just how quickly twitter-harassment will take place based on how prone you are to calling people "nazi/ggaters/toxic/trump supporters" right off the gate. This is not even touching the "racist, misogynistic privileged homophobe" McCombo that journos love to toss around as soon as someone dares to question their groupthink.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Palpek posted:

For example:

I'm not saying that this is my exact opinion. Just that we're used to the over the top internet backlash no matter how big the reason is but it's ok to talk about how it's not normal at all and people that express this opinion have a point. In the end this wasn't some huge anticipated game that everybody was waiting for like Battlefield V, almost nobody knew about it and certainly not the ammount of people harassing devs over this.

That guy was acting like he was in opposition to somebody in this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong, nobody in this thread has suggested the harassment is ok. They've just said that the devs getting harassed doesn't somehow excuse their own lovely behaviour.

In fact people continued to discuss that the backlash is hosed up, without acting like people in this thread were involved, since he ducked out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I said come in! posted:

can only speak for myself, but I was patiently waiting for and following this game for 2+ years.

No one is entitled to a game. Smiley face.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I know we are already in the " The press is the enemy of the people " stage of reactionary moment forming in here , but this article does a great job showing how overblown the whole thing is, and that include plenty of actual recipes

https://www.pcinvasion.com/ooblets-the-story-so-far-whats-with-the-outrage-and-fake-screenshots/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No one is entitled to a game. Smiley face.

i would like to take this opportunity to reiterate my stance and opinion on customers, as a game developer

お客様は神様です

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

admataY posted:

I know we are already in the " The press is the enemy of the people " stage of reactionary moment forming in here , but this article does a great job showing how overblown the whole thing is, and that include plenty of actual recipes

https://www.pcinvasion.com/ooblets-the-story-so-far-whats-with-the-outrage-and-fake-screenshots/

I'm glad this also glosses over the issues with EGS outside the US and Western Europe. Because no one outside there plays video games.

It also misrepresents the time frame of what happened and when

quote:

About their initial blog post:

"In fact, it provided a distinction. It noted that Ooblets’ intended audience was the people who merely focused on the game, and not the controversy surrounding it."

There was no controversy about the game until that post and the replies to people on their twitter/discord happened.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They probaby didn’t expect the backlash to get this bad but whenever there’s something like this I wonder if it might have been intended, obblets looks like one of those niche games none other than their existing followers would give a poo poo about but now it’s all over the net.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ooblets devs probably didn't, epic games definitely did

they literally have people saying that any criticism of their store or service makes you a nazi, lol

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Avalerion posted:

They probaby didn’t expect the backlash to get this bad but whenever there’s something like this I wonder if it might have been intended, obblets looks like one of those niche games none other than their existing followers would give a poo poo about but now it’s all over the net.

You're probaby right, but they'll have trouble converting those death threats into purchases without a shopping cart.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the original ooblets devs blog post was fine, if a bit oblivious. Guessing they were just afraid of looking like they were selling out (or there really is something weird about having to shill for EGS in the contracts, who knows).
The devs reaction to the hostility, as well as Tim's tweets, definitely added fuel to the fire though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
While I would like the Steam monopoly to be broken, it's being done in an even more monopolistic manner by Epic. None of this is sustainable, neither Steam's inhuman algorithms to rank its marketplace, nor Epic microtargeted exclusivity deals buoyed by Fortnite profits.

But none of that justifies Gamers unleashing the full forces of the Kulturkampf on a small studio making a twee RPG thing that I will never buy. And yeah that includes some of the fuckers in this thread trying to imply they deserve it because they got baited into making a dumb blog post in response.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

admataY posted:

Calling out people being "reactionary" for reacting to a horrible PR misshap is an understatement, is the lesson here. Also if you randomly (and constantly) accuse people of being toxic nazis for not blindly repeating your opinions is in fact a bad strategy, whether you're a member of the press or just some casual blogger.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah it's a PR disaster because a hundred insane assholes have decided that they finally have a casus belli to start a crusade against you. And fake screenshots, take discord chats out of context, etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I know I’m replying to a post that’s two days old and six pages back, but I gotta do this...

Pirate Jet posted:

If I can put on my *sniff* pure ideology hat here, it’s most likely because the gaming community is an endless battle between neoliberalism and libertarian with an implicit refusal to ever recognize how similar those two standpoints are. So when Steam’s processes allow Hatred, or Rape Day, or that one right-wing Brazilian game about murdering homosexuals on the service, the neoliberals accuse Valve of being the problem when really all they’re doing is being perfect agents of capitalism.
Most right wing message games aren’t doing it for capitalism. There’s a reason the huge newspapers have paywalls and subscription plans, and Vox gets on your rear end for blocking ads, while Breitbart is free. Massaging the message and providing a rabbit hole for the newly-indoctrinated is what these games are about. Nobody is making Trump Wall Simulator to survive capitalism; they’re doing it so you see their horrible stereotypes of Mexicans trying to drag cartoonishly oversized sacks of drugs and guns into the country.

Anyway, my opinions on the latest EGS event is mostly the same as what you see around here. The man who announced the exclusivity deal deliberately provoked people who care (IMO far too deeply) about maintaining multiple game launchers. That trolls often tend to be chuds meant he got way more stick than he deserved.

In a way, it reminds me of the Frenchies at Tale of Tales who made no secret of hating commercially successful games and felt they were saving the medium with their pretentious arthouse games that the French government stopped underwriting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well Trump Wall Simulator is made by one shithead who doesn't have to pay rents because they live with their boomer parents, while Breitbart has to be subsidized by billionaire dark money.

And while Sweeney deserves the guillotine, there is zero reason for him to not back up the devs he is patronizing. It's an easy calculation for easy PR. Of course you stand with your recently acquired subsidiary, because the complaints about how the devs have betrayed their community are bullshit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, when the devs basically straight up say "Well, we don't need your patreon money anymore", I can see how that can rile up people. It was an incredibly tone-deaf comment

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

And yeah that includes some of the fuckers in this thread trying to imply they deserve it because they got baited into making a dumb blog post in response.

"In response"?
Are you going by some fanfiction timeline here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
That ET landfill is gonna have a lot of ooblets keys poured on top