Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have a B6 head they want to sell me? I pulled the head on my B6T 323 Wagon to check for cracks, and dropped the drat thing and trashed the gasket sealing surface. I have HLAs and cams, just need a head. Even a machined and ready one, I'd pay more for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

BloodBag posted:

In other news, my 95M with burned through clearcoat and what used to be merlot mica paint is being repainted by me. In Porsche's Miami Blue. I don't care for maroon in the first place, and there are tons of MM miatas out there so I don't feel bad about losing the unique color. Frankly I'm happy I'll have a car in a color I like with a factory torsen. Every time I see that Miami blue I swoon a bit, and it's much more motivating to see a color I like instead of a color I don't care about or 'it looks really nice and fits the time period the car was made'. I don't have to talk myself into liking this:

:allears:

That is a sweet color. If I get attached enough to my white NB, I might think about repainting it. The color is way too boring for a Miata. How much is it going to cost you?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dadliest Worrier posted:

That is a sweet color. If I get attached enough to my white NB, I might think about repainting it. The color is way too boring for a Miata. How much is it going to cost you?

About $800 for the primer, paint, and clearcoat. It's all coming from a local ppg shop and so far it's spraying pretty well through the $70 harbor freight gun. I need to weld in the drivers side rocker panel and grind that and then I can really get going on this. I should post pics or maybe start a project thread...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Miami Blue is the ish. Good choice

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BloodBag posted:

About $800 for the primer, paint, and clearcoat. It's all coming from a local ppg shop and so far it's spraying pretty well through the $70 harbor freight gun. I need to weld in the drivers side rocker panel and grind that and then I can really get going on this. I should post pics or maybe start a project thread...

Do post pictures that blue is going to turn out beautiful. You must be a sadist though. I prepped and painted a Kawasaki JS550 back in high school with my dad and that is something I will never do again. I can't imagine prepping and painting an entire car, even if it is as small as a Miata.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Diametunim posted:

Do post pictures that blue is going to turn out beautiful. You must be a sadist though. I prepped and painted a Kawasaki JS550 back in high school with my dad and that is something I will never do again. I can't imagine prepping and painting an entire car, even if it is as small as a Miata.

It's already turning me into a bitter rear end in a top hat and I've only primed the rear bumper.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've only had 2-3 weeks ownership of my NC1 PRHT and I think I hate it.

Part of me is bitter because I had to replace one of the stupid expensive credit card keys that for some loving reason allow keyless ignition but not keyless entry.

The gearbox is terrible out of the gate; Motorcraft gear oil helps but doesn't make it as good as my old NA's was.

The gear ratios are all wrong and 4k RPM at 70ish mph in sixth sucks.

The Bose stereo is absolutely awful. I connected a Grom adapter for Bluetooth because I wanted to keep stock look, but that may have been a mistake.

The stock clutch is really light without much of a transition area, but that might be my particular car (72k miles).

The car is heavy and ponderous. The sport package Bilsteins are god awful. I'm planning on replacing these with Koni struts and Progress springs (with spyder's help, thanks again dude), but for now it rolls and bucks like a tiny boat in an ocean storm. I can't drive it like a sports car; it feels unsafe. The ride height is ridiculous. The car feels like a Murano Cross Cabriolet. I have decent BFG Comp Allseasons on it, but the way the car handles its weight, the grip is almost overpowered.

Pros: The steering is more accurate than the NA, the power is marginally better, the PRHT is nice even though it takes for loving ever, there's adequate trunk room, the trunk doesn't smell like gas, there's no 60 mph shake, I might survive a rollover better because I'm tall.

I don't know, it just feels like a lovely car instead of a Miata.

Thanks for reading my vent, I just needed to get it out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m seeing the prht nc being listed at 2,542 lbs. And you say it’s heavy...
:thunk:

Edit: what rpm’s does a NA do at 70 mph in top gear btw?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 7, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you don't like a car, putting more money into it isn't likely to change that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Best days of boat ownership is the day you get it and the day you sell it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Coredump posted:

I’m seeing the prht nc being listed at 2,542 lbs. And you say it’s heavy...
:thunk:

Edit: what rpm’s does a NA do at 70 mph in top gear btw?

4k rpm with the factory torsen. :v:

blk posted:

I'll trade you.

also you're having gearbox issues because you need to adjust the clutch rod where it goes into the clutch master cylinder. From the factory it has too much slop and the gears will still be *slightly* engaged.

I've had two NC's, they both did that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
70mph on an NA with 195/60R14s and the 4.1 is 3400rpm.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My 1991 drivers side pop-up is stuck open. If I dial the light motor clockwise it will close and then immediately pop back up. This is going to be fun to figure out. Help?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

blk posted:

Part of me is bitter because I had to replace one of the stupid expensive credit card keys that for some loving reason allow keyless ignition but not keyless entry.

The gearbox is terrible out of the gate; Motorcraft gear oil helps but doesn't make it as good as my old NA's was.

The gear ratios are all wrong and 4k RPM at 70ish mph in sixth sucks.

The Bose stereo is absolutely awful. I connected a Grom adapter for Bluetooth because I wanted to keep stock look, but that may have been a mistake.

The stock clutch is really light without much of a transition area, but that might be my particular car (72k miles).

The car is heavy and ponderous. The sport package Bilsteins are god awful. I'm planning on replacing these with Koni struts and Progress springs (with spyder's help, thanks again dude), but for now it rolls and bucks like a tiny boat in an ocean storm. I can't drive it like a sports car; it feels unsafe. The ride height is ridiculous. The car feels like a Murano Cross Cabriolet. I have decent BFG Comp Allseasons on it, but the way the car handles its weight, the grip is almost overpowered.

Pros: The steering is more accurate than the NA, the power is marginally better, the PRHT is nice even though it takes for loving ever, there's adequate trunk room, the trunk doesn't smell like gas, there's no 60 mph shake, I might survive a rollover better because I'm tall.

I don't know, it just feels like a lovely car instead of a Miata.

Thanks for reading my vent, I just needed to get it out.

The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine, if you want a newer car that feels like an NA, get an ND. It also sounds like your suspension is shot.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wibla posted:

The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine, if you want a newer car that feels like an NA, get an ND. It also sounds like your suspension is shot.

Isn't the RX8 generally praised for its handling?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The internet is unclear, do i need to use special moon coolant for my NC?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The internet is unclear, do i need to use special moon coolant for my NC?

Not an NC owner but I did a quick Google and it looks like you'll want to use any compatible FL-22 coolant or another coolant so long as it's silicate free. If it were me Id probably just do the standard distilled water + waterwetter and antifreeze.

I copied the text below from miata.net which gives a little more information on what FL-22 is.

"FL-22 is a Mazda-only substance. A post in a different Mazda forum says the bottle reads:
"ethylene glycol based.... 55/45 mixture recommended..... developed to provide corrosion and rust protection.....boiling point 270 degrees, freezing point -47 degrees. Ingrediants: Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water (7732-18-5), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN 217)"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The go-to alternate to FL22 is Zerez Asian Red. I do have some of that handy from the MS6. But I'll be swinging by Mazda in a day or two so I can just get a jug of the good stuff.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShaneB posted:

My 1991 drivers side pop-up is stuck open. If I dial the light motor clockwise it will close and then immediately pop back up. This is going to be fun to figure out. Help?

I fixed this today btw. It was very hot to the touch which made me feel like power was AOK, but something just wrong elsewhere. I read a bunch about diodes inside failing, but also heard to just clean up the contacts first as well. I removed the headlight motor, opened up the bottom control unit area, and cleaned off the 3 brass prongs that control power flow to the actual motor itself and generally tried to remove anything that looked like residue. Put it back together reinstalled it and bingo. Hardest part was getting the actuator arm back onto the motor correctly afterwards.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Coredump posted:

Isn't the RX8 generally praised for its handling?

Yes, but it's not a Miata. Which was the entire point of that first sentence. See also: the last sentence (re: handling).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wibla posted:

Yes, but it's not a Miata. Which was the entire point of that first sentence. See also: the last sentence (re: handling).

But you said, "The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine," and if the RX8 is praised for its handling, and the NC Miata is basically a convertible RX8... wouldn't its handling be really good too? Its not like Mazda doesn't know how to make convertibles handle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NCs handle fine, they’re bigger NAs for the most part with a few extra torques.

If you don’t like driving a 2600lb Miata, though...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Coredump posted:

But you said, "The NC PRHT is basically a convertible RX8 without the wankel engine," and if the RX8 is praised for its handling, and the NC Miata is basically a convertible RX8... wouldn't its handling be really good too? Its not like Mazda doesn't know how to make convertibles handle.

The RX8 is still not a Miata?

Phone posted:

If you don't like driving a 2600lb Miata, though...

This guy gets it!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NC is a good car, but it’s not a 2100lb NA. It’s just as tossable and nimble, but there’s some extra weight attached to it.

They’re quick and they’re fun, there’s also some weird/dumb model generation differences (eg: redline stuff, but nothing too different from NA 1.6 vs 1.8 or NB1 vs NB2). The only real bones I have to pick with it are related to the auburn style diff, weird transmission ratios, and the toe out (?) in the rear under full droop.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wibla posted:

The RX8 is still not a Miata?

I'm not saying the Miata is a RX8. If a car handles good, and another car is basically that car, than by the transitive property it should also handle good. You can throw in the convertible distinction but this is Mazda here, making convertible handle well is their thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NC is a shortened RX8 chassis

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
If anyone is looking for a clean 10AE: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/liberty-hill-99-miata-10th-anniversary/6950870665.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Coredump posted:

I'm not saying the Miata is a RX8. If a car handles good, and another car is basically that car, than by the transitive property it should also handle good. You can throw in the convertible distinction but this is Mazda here, making convertible handle well is their thing.

It could also mean they took a coupe body and cut the roof off destroying the structure.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

Suspension upgraded to Tein/Bilsteins. New tires/ wheels with extra staggered pair for the rear.

:shuckyes:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm thinking of snagging a set of 14" RPF1's with Azenis on them for ~$1300 from tire rack - I miss the stock 14's on my old '97 rustbucket pictured, and the 16's on my non-rustbucket '95 may be what is causing the handling not to feel as nimble as my old car.
...Or the rust was very good automatic weight reduction.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

14" rpf1s make your brakes look huge. I love them. Make sure they put wheel weights on the middle or back part of the rim or calipers will hit them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, lifting a 14" wheel/tire makes you feel like superman too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

At the tire place they always almost throw them because they are not expecting it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Tires are soooo cheap as well. I got Rival-S for, like, $80 each. Similar performance tires for my WRX are $170.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Korean sticky summer tires in 15" are already laughably cheap. Makes up for doing things like replacing the entire clutch line and master/slave garbage because my car is 28 years old.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I whole-heartedly recommend 14" wheels even if 15" wheels give a technically better tire selection. Unless you are racing, 14" performance rubber is good enough to have a ball. If I weren't at work I'd spam posts of my 14" rpf1's

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I got some 15s for my Opel and I'm pretty sure with tires mounted, they weigh less than the bare wheels do for anything else I own. Refreshing after hauling around 33" BFGs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

It could also mean they took a coupe body and cut the roof off destroying the structure.

Coredump posted:

You can throw in the convertible distinction but this is Mazda here, making convertible handle well is their thing.

Right there in the post.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Does the immobilizer interrupt the fuel pump or relay? Where does it stop the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm planning on getting a new clutch in my 91 this winter, either doing the work myself or buying all the parts and having a mechanic do it. Any suggestions for which one to get, what else to do while everything is apart, etc? I was also going to get a new header (which I already have) and exhaust put on since I don't think the stock one is going to survive being removed anyway.