Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Refresh my memory?

Bought a newish Aston Martin for $100k+ 3ish months ago and it hasn't worked right since he drove it off the lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GF sent me a text asking me to "prevent [her] from getting on the internet" for the rest of the day once she gets home. And to get rid of any electronic distractions, because she really wants to be able to clean and sort through 3+ months worth of mail and do some deep cleaning (since we now have roaches... ughhhhh... I'm the only one that does dishes or takes out the trash, and she refuses to rinse her dishes off and put them in the dishwasher).

I don't think she realizes just how thorough I can be. Wifi passwords changed, PC passwords changed (tho apparently it's been so long since she used her account on my PC that the Windows new user thing launched all over again, since it's been through a couple of rounds of major updates since she last logged in), MAC filters enabled on the router, game console controllers hidden, laptops and tablets hidden, power cord to the living room TV seems to be missing (even if it wasn't, the breaker is off, and the surge protector - wedged behind the entertainment center - is also unplugged).

Also, neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have poo poo for service inside the apartment (she's on Sprint, I'm on T-Mobile). My phone is whitelisted for wifi, desktop PC is whitelisted, bedroom Roku is whitelisted, Nest is whitelisted.

The fun part will be remembering where her 3DS, iPad, laptop, game console controllers, etc are hidden. :ohdear:

Obligatory :sever:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

STR posted:

GF sent me a text asking me to "prevent [her] from getting on the internet" for the rest of the day once she gets home. And to get rid of any electronic distractions, because she really wants to be able to clean and sort through 3+ months worth of mail and do some deep cleaning (since we now have roaches... ughhhhh... I'm the only one that does dishes or takes out the trash, and she refuses to rinse her dishes off and put them in the dishwasher).

I don't think she realizes just how thorough I can be. Wifi passwords changed, PC passwords changed (tho apparently it's been so long since she used her account on my PC that the Windows new user thing launched all over again, since it's been through a couple of rounds of major updates since she last logged in), MAC filters enabled on the router, game console controllers hidden, laptops and tablets hidden, power cord to the living room TV seems to be missing (even if it wasn't, the breaker is off, and the surge protector - wedged behind the entertainment center - is also unplugged).

Also, neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have poo poo for service inside the apartment (she's on Sprint, I'm on T-Mobile). My phone is whitelisted for wifi, desktop PC is whitelisted, bedroom Roku is whitelisted, Nest is whitelisted.

The fun part will be remembering where her 3DS, iPad, laptop, game console controllers, etc are hidden. :ohdear:

:munch:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Now I'm torn between the BMW of Potential Mechanical Hilarity and saving until next spring and then buying and supercharging an FR-S.

STR posted:

christ dude

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

Bought a newish Aston Martin for $100k+ 3ish months ago and it hasn't worked right since he drove it off the lot

2016 DB9 GT Volante with 3500 miles.

Bought it in April. When I picked it up, it had a few niggles I knew about - roof mechanism didn't work quite right, blown speaker - that kind of thing. Figured I could drive it while they waited for the parts to come in. No big deal.

Less than a month after I got it, the steering went totally hosed - 15-20 degrees off center. Took it into the shop and it threw a check engine light on the way. Took until a couple weeks ago to get it back. They had to send it to Cleveland to go to the AM dealership. Steering was a steering angle sensor and an alignment. Also the tires don't match across the axles (passenger side are the original tires, driver's side are 2 years newer and Porsche (N0) spec). The Aston dealership says this is totally fine and they don't see anything wrong with it and insists the alignment just went out on its own for *reasons*. CEL was an O2 sensor - apparently a fairly common issue on these engines because it's not like they should have this poo poo figured out on a 13+ year old platform, right? Anyways, parts took forever to come in. Finally got it back about 2 weeks ago. Now the passenger airbag light keeps coming on. I think it's probably a seat weight sensor, but who the gently caress knows at this point. Guess it has to go back.

TL;DR: I'm paying 2 grand a month for a car I've been able to drive 5 weeks out of the 4 months I've owned it.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

A couple of threads ago I posted about my silver KIA Forte 2.0 litre that needed an engine replacement due to manufacturing errors.

A month ago the engine came in from S Korea and was installed! They did charge me for a new belt and tensioners which was probably a good idea anyway, but the replacement was covered by the manufacturer. A very happy ending.

And then I immediately took it on a road trip to Quebec City to break it in :aliexpress:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

christ dude

IN MY DEFENSE she's the one who asked me to cut her off from the outside world. And by the time she gets home, I'll be sound asleep. :haw: She's really gonna love it when she realizes the :420: is also hidden.

Shark week (aka commies are in the funhouse) is full of neat things. And by neat I mean I'm going into work early and doing everything I can do to stay late and in general just staying away from home. I only worked 10 hours last night/this morning... 12 on my last shift. I'm probably working at least 10 tonight, split between at least 2 departments (GM and frozen for sure, dry grocery as a maybe). Should be a nice paycheck.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 7, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR, man, we love you and your Honda sperging ways but hasn't the general consensus been to sever for at least a year now.

We're about to start pissing in the well.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also might want to research if Mazda fixed the bearing issue with the 6's slushbox before you buy. I was considering a used one until I found out about it.

It's brand new, I'll be leasing, and won't be getting a slushbox, but thanks for the headsup anyway.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is this a thing elsewhere? I've never seen LATCH / ISOFIX on a front seat in the US in anything with more than one row of seating.

I have no idea, I can see many good arguments for not having it. But my 12 year old E87 BMW has it, and it's godsend in two scenarios: when wanting to fit five people in the car and not wanting a modern car seat to take up half the rear seat, and when needing to fold the rears seats and transport a sprog. Granted, the last one doesn't happen very often, but the first one does.

Fake edit: or when driving said sprog alone and wanting some interaction. My almost-two-year-old loves being in the front.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

STR, man, we love you and your Honda sperging ways but hasn't the general consensus been to sever for at least a year now.

I'm pissing in my own well at this point; I'm only here because I'm saving up to GTFO.

Soon....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

STR posted:

I think he said it was the 3.5.

Stepdad got a '19 2.7 recently and gets 20+ in it as well - and that's all city streets, mostly short drives (work is 15 minutes away, while the grocery store is literally around the corner from the house). Really pisses me off when he brags about 600+ miles a tank when I can't even get 250. :argh:

He traded in an '01 F-150 with the 5.4 for it, and he swears the 2.7 is much faster, even says it's a bit faster off the line. Guessing the turbos spool up real quick on it. Or the 5.4 was way down on power (very likely; he got it with about 30k and a ripped K&N filter, and never replaced the filter... essentially running no air filter for over 100k).
The 2.7 spools faster and is generally quicker all else being equal. But it doesn't have the grunt the 3.5 has for towing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
New Gourmet Makes is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYqRiKu7gY0

Claire absolutely beasts it this episode. Secret bit at the end past the credits too :kiss:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meltie posted:

Claire absolutely beasts it this episode. Secret bit at the end past the credits too :kiss:

Claire is the best. We've been binging on her lately and we'll watch this one tonight.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Out of interest, who has the most problematic basket case car on this forum anyway?

I bought my bimmer with intent to haywire it together and scrap it after a single road trip and haven't driven it further than the gas station down the road in almost two years of constant wrenching.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

Claire is the best. We've been binging on her lately and we'll watch this one tonight.

Same here. I have such a huge crush on her. Bon Appetit has really stumbled on to greatness with some of their youtube shows.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bolind posted:

It's brand new, I'll be leasing, and won't be getting a slushbox, but thanks for the headsup anyway.

I have no idea, I can see many good arguments for not having it. But my 12 year old E87 BMW has it, and it's godsend in two scenarios: when wanting to fit five people in the car and not wanting a modern car seat to take up half the rear seat, and when needing to fold the rears seats and transport a sprog. Granted, the last one doesn't happen very often, but the first one does.

Fake edit: or when driving said sprog alone and wanting some interaction. My almost-two-year-old loves being in the front.

My 01 Silverado had latch achors on the front passenger seat and a keyed (literally had to insert the key and turn the lock) switch to turn off the passenger airbag, but otherwise I've never seen it either. It's not the safest place the put the kiddies which is probably why.

Sure would be nice and make my next vehicle choice easier (I'd just keep my current car).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slothrop posted:

That is one hell of a :toxx:!

I kid

How hard is it to make 2 Barras have a common crankcase? Asking for a friend...

Pretty easy, if you have casting facilities or a giant CNC to make an entirely new block. And a crankshaft.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

meltie posted:

Watching this now since poptarts are my jam. I still eat them for breakfast most mornings even though I'm pushing 40...

There was a bakery by my place when I lived in KC that made pop tarts and they were so loving amazing. I miss that and about a million other food related things from there.

e: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW49kB_ABfq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So good, just like everything that place makes. I bought like $60 worth of poo poo to bring home on one of my trips back.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 7, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Kazinsal posted:

Now I'm torn between the BMW of Potential Mechanical Hilarity and saving until next spring and then buying and supercharging an FR-S.

Hi yes, when did you become me?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

Hi yes, when did you become me?

Split the difference and supercharge your E46

I'll help you pull an LQ4 for it first :getin:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There is that 13B sitting in Seat Safety Switches garage and I have Bridgeport templates

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah but then what am I gonna put in the Rotovocho? :v:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 8, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

You haven't?

At this point I think a bunch of us are just waiting for him to post about impending fatherhood.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got the call last night re: my stepdads cancer diagnosis from the beginning of last months poo poo-show.

The good news: is it hasn't spread. Localized to a tumor in his lung.

Bad news, it's too big (@10CM/4") that it is inoperable where it is.

He's starting radiation and chemo with some experimental trial to see if they can shrink it enough to operate on it. He is going to break the news to his 90+ year old mother this weekend.

Whelp, the roller coaster has just left the station.

PS - Don't smoke ladys and germs.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Str: I'm saving up to leave

Also str : I'm getting married in a month, it makes sense because *fartttt*. I'm just gonna save up for a divorce lawyer too. No, I can't make her sign a prenup she'd slash my tires and be very suspicious. She buys 1700 dollars in candles a month, it's gonna take a while since we just merged our bank accounts.

For the first time since I got my car, my wife let me take her real fast down some twisty roads. I think she peed herself. You too can heal from a traumatic rear end accident.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
That loving sucks, slidebite. I'm glad to hear it hasn't spread yet. My heart goes out to yall.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You too can heal from a traumatic rear end accident.

Some things you can't walk away from.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

limping is okay

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

It's when you have to drag it on the carpet then you know you went wrong somewhere

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Str: I'm saving up to leave

Also str : I'm getting married in a month, it makes sense because *fartttt*. I'm just gonna save up for a divorce lawyer too. No, I can't make her sign a prenup she'd slash my tires and be very suspicious. She buys 1700 dollars in candles a month, it's gonna take a while since we just merged our bank accounts.

Send her this thread. Problem solved.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
ok so everyone might be sad but i just acquired my dream car (2006 ve commodore ss 6mt) its not perfect but im already in love.
going from a rather worn out (570 000km) auto volvo 740gle to an ls engined manual commodore has been quite the trip.
anyone know any good workshops in the melbourne area?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

IN MY DEFENSE she's the one who asked me to cut her off from the outside world. And by the time she gets home, I'll be sound asleep. :haw: She's really gonna love it when she realizes the :420: is also hidden.

I write this with the best of intentions but this is weird codependent enablement behavior and it’s not good for you or her. Are you seeing a therapist? Gotta arm yourself with some better answers to weird SO poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hey guys I'm not sure if this was a good Uber or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Send her this thread. Problem solved.

They’d find him on the side of a road with an inch left of a Muncie SM420 shift lever hanging out of his rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You too can heal from a traumatic rear end accident.

Suburban Dad posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

limping is okay

shy boy from chess club posted:

It's when you have to drag it on the carpet then you know you went wrong somewhere

Goddamn, you guys had me rolling with that one.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey guys I'm not sure if this was a good Uber or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

Nope. Nopenopenopenopenopenope. No.
I don't generally have a problem with bees and/or wasps, but that's an order of magnitude beyond anything I ever want to deal with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I had slowly been working my way out of frozen, while they've been trying to convince sucker someone into cross training (the same thing they did to me.. "oh it'll just be a day or two here and there").

Well... the guy who's literally been in the store (and working frozen the whole time) since it opened is on an emergency leave of absence. His mother is in the ICU. We don't know much else except he's gonna be gone a bit. Last night I was scheduled for GM (general merchandise), but talked ot the overnight manager for GM and told him frozen needed help (it was just one guy working; it was a backstock-only night, at least, but they had a shitload of backstock to deal with). He was fine with that, if he could get coverage. Well... 30 min after I got there, he let me know he had 2 call outs (on top of the 1 person on a leave of absence)... so he was short 3 people (out of 6). He got someone from another store to help out, someone from dry grocery, and had to get me.

P (the guy working frozen, also our new overnight lead - good guy) told me he already knew he'd be pulling at least a 10 hour night, and appreciated the bit of help I was able to give. Finished up in GM about an hour past my scheduled off time (the overnight lead there was showing me how to change inventory counts and handle their backstock - voluntary, he kept asking if I was sure I wanted to stay, I said yes, gimme all the hours), went to help P for another hour. So... another 10 hour day. Even with being scheduled 30 hours this week, I'm gonna bump right up against 40 this week.

My boss (one of two grocery managers) asked me if I could come in tonight. It's my night off. J is working (the one who thinks he's hot poo poo). I hemmed and hawed... knowing I need the OT. But working with J is not a fun time. Boss finally said I can name a time to come in and leave (and he knows J and I have butted heads). I'm going in an hour late to make him sweat a little, and to let him do the heaviest lifting. :v: I'll stay as late as I possibly can; boss knows I'm gonna be taking the tip (just the tip, I promise) of OT when I clock out, and that my Friday night shift will be 100% glorious overtime.

ilkhan posted:

The 2.7 spools faster and is generally quicker all else being equal. But it doesn't have the grunt the 3.5 has for towing.

The only kind of cargo that truck will ever see will be the 250 pound jackass in the driver's seat.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Viggen? Is that you?

No need for a prenup when you're broke; I'm the one that buys 1700 candles. :colbert: (and if I actually put a ring on that or merge bank accounts, I obviously have very advanced dementia and should be placed under guardianship of anybody but her)

Tremek posted:

I write this with the best of intentions but this is weird codependent enablement behavior and it’s not good for you or her. Are you seeing a therapist? Gotta arm yourself with some better answers to weird SO poo poo.

Her behavior is very codependent, yeah. Extremely clingy, very prone to laying on a thick guilt trip. I don't have 3 jobs for the money (well, it's partly for the money); it's mainly to get me out of the house. Unfortunately 2 of those jobs are driving jobs with a Saturn that's held together with Facebook thoughts and prayers, but the grocery store is pretty easy to get overtime at when you're an overnighter; I've been there late enough that I'm clocking out after dayside has already taken their first break (a couple of times when they're already taking lunch).

She claimed the time offline did help her get caught up on a bunch of stuff. :iiam: I... uh... can't seem to figure out where I hid her 3DS though (I thought I hid it inside my PC), but she found the PS4 controllers and Roku remote (Roku wouldn't do any good, PS4 can be used offline to a degree though). But no, no therapist. I'm a lot more independent than she wants, and prone to doing stuff like "hey, I feel like going out for awhile, I'm gonna drive out to a trail and go hiking" while she's at work... which drives her crazy.

There's obviously some codependency on my end too, but at this point I pretty much view this as a "roommate I happen to share a bed with, and we might have bad sex once a month" arrangement. I care about her as a person (I mean, we've known each other for 27 years), I don't want to see anything bad happen to her, and I know it's going to wreck her when I finally get the balls and money to leave, but it's gonna happen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 8, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

Got the call last night re: my stepdads cancer diagnosis from the beginning of last months poo poo-show.

The good news: is it hasn't spread. Localized to a tumor in his lung.

Bad news, it's too big (@10CM/4") that it is inoperable where it is.

He's starting radiation and chemo with some experimental trial to see if they can shrink it enough to operate on it. He is going to break the news to his 90+ year old mother this weekend.

Whelp, the roller coaster has just left the station.

PS - Don't smoke ladys and germs.

Didn't they find the mass quite a while ago now? I was getting pissed at how long it took to confirm my girlfriend's cancer diagnosis, but really it was only two-three weeks since she first went to her doctor and got an ultrasound for abdominal pains. (Not counting the inept Urgent Care that shoved her out the door a couple of weeks prior and told her she's fine.)

SPEAKING OF, I just got back in the office from having the morning off to go with her to talk to the Physician Assistant that works with our Oncologist to learn about chemotherapy and the two other drugs she'll be on starting next week, and insurance denied her PET scan once again.

So: We KNOW that she has Stage IV breast cancer, meaning we KNOW that it's spread to at least one other part of her body (liver), we KNOW the cancer subtype and how we're going to treat it, and insurance is STILL going "Lol PET scan, gently caress that no way." So now we have to go do three CT scans tomorrow AM, chest, abdomen, and pelvic area, as well as a bone scan. It's truly loving mind-boggling.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

Didn't they find the mass quite a while ago now? I was getting pissed at how long it took to confirm my girlfriend's cancer diagnosis, but really it was only two-three weeks since she first went to her doctor and got an ultrasound for abdominal pains. (Not counting the inept Urgent Care that shoved her out the door a couple of weeks prior and told her she's fine.)

SPEAKING OF, I just got back in the office from having the morning off to go with her to talk to the Physician Assistant that works with our Oncologist to learn about chemotherapy and the two other drugs she'll be on starting next week, and insurance denied her PET scan once again.

So: We KNOW that she has Stage IV breast cancer, meaning we KNOW that it's spread to at least one other part of her body (liver), we KNOW the cancer subtype and how we're going to treat it, and insurance is STILL going "Lol PET scan, gently caress that no way." So now we have to go do three CT scans tomorrow AM, chest, abdomen, and pelvic area, as well as a bone scan. It's truly loving mind-boggling.

Jesus. That's ridiculous. Good luck and I hope someone is able to push it through.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

American Insurance: would you just DIE already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No kidding. All of this just has me extremely anxious that they're going to call us last minute before we're scheduled to start treatment and tell us insurance denied chemo for *reasons*