Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Avicus posted:

Maybe Moira VI teams up with Sinister. I don't want to think about how her power would work with clones...

I was kind of thinking Sinister just because he's the only major X-villain Moira isn't recorded as seeking out, besides obviously unhelpful groups like the Purifiers. Either that or maybe a DoFP timeline, since she really goes hard after the Trasks in the next life.

I don't remember all that Legacy Virus business well, but wasn't Moira (supposedly) the first human victim of it? Did it jump to any humans after her?

Man, this is a really gonzo issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wonder how much of this will be further established/explained by Franklin’s reboot of the universe at the end of Secret Wars. We’re in the 8th iteration of the universe now and while Moira’s loop is only contained to her own life the twist and what’s coming could be a byproduct of Franklin’s efforts to bring everything back. This also gives Hickman ample grounds to change poo poo as see he sees fit and only maintain what he finds relevant canon. Moira’s fourth life showed some big moments influding the Phoenix Five (as part of a lost decade which would be post House of M). Jesus loving there is SO MUCH to unpack from this.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm loving the notion that Xavier may have known this entire time that Moira is a mutant who, among other things, took over the planet with Apocalypse in a previous life, but kept this all a secret from everyone else. Peak Dickhead Xavier.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I hope there's an explanation for why Moira seemingly had foreknowledge of the Genoshan genocide, Decimation, etc, at least from her fourth life, but didn't do anything to prevent them. Though based on that one text page in the first issue and the lack of acknowledgment of it in this issue, it feels like Hickman has chosen to ignore that Decimation ever happened, but we'll see

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Avicus posted:

Maybe Moira VI teams up with Sinister. I don't want to think about how her power would work with clones...

Or with children, if they inherited her power. We know she had at least some in timeline 1

Rochallor posted:

I was kind of thinking Sinister just because he's the only major X-villain Moira isn't recorded as seeking out, besides obviously unhelpful groups like the Purifiers. Either that or maybe a DoFP timeline, since she really goes hard after the Trasks in the next life.

Sinister is mentioned in the Apocalypse war timeline but yeah, that's more Apoc going after him than Moira herself

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how much of this will be further established/explained by Franklin’s reboot of the universe at the end of Secret Wars

I would bet none; Hickman's said he wants his X-Men work to be standalone and not require reading/understanding the stuff he did before X-Men.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This issue gave me a weird mixture of relief and anticipation, and the idea that everything has been laid out fairly clearly in terms of how things will relate to the history of the X-Men as we know it, along with curiosity about how it will affect the totally pointless "status quo" of the "main universe" that I still, for some godforsaken reason, seem to have some level of emotional attachment to, in spite of myself

I also like the idea of the rise of sentient artificial intelligence being a parallel to mutants. I know it's come up before with stuff like Danger but Hickman seems intent on taking it a bit further than just the few isolated cases examples.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hickman has adapted the 'yes, and...' method of improvisational comedy to the prose narrative.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
Hickman's take on Moria X is a pretty direct swipe from Claire North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. With that said, it was a clever way to untangle all the different dystopian future the X-Men have seemed to accumulate.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I was thinking that maybe Life 6 will turn out to be the timeline we know and love while what's happening in HoX is 4 lifetimes after that, very close to the known timeline but with whatever changes Moira and Xavier have planned.. Either that or something really out there. Whatever it is there's obv a reason it's been left out and it's going to be a Very Big Deal

I'm thinking this as well. Life 7 is when the crazy stuff starts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just seeing a big fat reset button for the series :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think we've got enough yet to figure out what's going on. This is Moira MacTaggert, who's been dead for years in 616, and getting capped on Muir Island by Mystique isn't one of the established timelines here. Hickman even made a point of digging up her maiden name, which is a deep dive.

Plus, her son Kevin is listed as one of the Omega mutants in House of X #1, and I can't help but notice that she explicitly didn't end up with Kevin's monster of a father in any of the established timelines in this issue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wanderer posted:

I don't think we've got enough yet to figure out what's going on. This is Moira MacTaggert, who's been dead for years in 616, and getting capped on Muir Island by Mystique isn't one of the established timelines here.

It absolutely is. Notice the faked death on the last timeline.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I did miss the conspicuous omission of life #6, though, so thank you for pointing that out. I read too fast for my own good sometimes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The actual best return in this issue is Magneto's fuckin' Cthulhu castle from earlyish in Claremont's run

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm wondering what the reference in life 9 to "the first horsemen" who appear not to be on earth is all about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm wondering what the reference in life 9 to "the first horsemen" who appear not to be on earth is all about.

It's entirely possible it's a throwaway that never gets explained. At least once a week I think about a panel towards the end of Hickman's New Avengers, Hank Pym has been hopping through what's left of the multiverse for answers about the incursions and it shows one panel of a universe with dinosaurs wearing business suits. Never referenced again directly or indirectly (though I have to imagine if Franklin was aware of it he brought it back when he recreated the multiverse).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's entirely possible it's a throwaway that never gets explained. At least once a week I think about a panel towards the end of Hickman's New Avengers, Hank Pym has been hopping through what's left of the multiverse for answers about the incursions and it shows one panel of a universe with dinosaurs wearing business suits. Never referenced again directly or indirectly (though I have to imagine if Franklin was aware of it he brought it back when he recreated the multiverse).

There is zero chance Franklin wouldn't bring back that universe

Even if he didn't know about it beforehand, I refuse to believe that Franklin Richards would not, when inventing new universes, go "one where dinosaurs are, like, people!"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The art on House of X #2 worked so well to sell it all and heck yeah @ this moment:

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1159184564507553792

(Hickman is such a good Twitter follow.)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-Men is so loving good right now

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has (Should this be spoilered?) Destiny appeared before or is it original to this story?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

Has (Should this be spoilered?) Destiny appeared before or is it original to this story?

She's a pretty big character from the 80's.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pause. And remember where the X-line was like 6 months ago. Hahaha.
If HoX 1 was an interesting if not earth-shaking beginning and PoX 2 was the indication that this was definitely going to be cool, HoX 2 is the... hammer smashing your head open? Whatever it is, I am pumped as hell in a way I haven't been pumped about a comic in a long time.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Destiny was a pretty prominent supporting villain throughout Claremont's run and showed up in a bunch of other titles during that period alongside Mystique's Brotherhood and, later, Freedom Force. She died in UXM #255 way back in 1989 and has, somewhat astonishingly, stayed, as far as I know, dead ever since.

She was a pretty cool character, and if there weren't already enough good reasons to dig into Claremont's back catalogue, she is one more. In a period where queer characters were much more taboo, and practically invisible in the pages of mainstream superhero comics, Claremont pushed the romantic relationship between her and Mystique as close to text as he possibly could have, and they really do have a fascinating dynamic even if much of it has to be inferred.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

kustomkarkommando posted:

Not outlandish to think this could be an oblique reference to Vulcan, between his mention in HoX #1 and presence in the October X-Men solicits.

Also, regarding the name "House of X", there are a couple of obvious alternative meanings to "House of M". Given how it reinforced the traditional/implied meaning of "House of Xavier", I'm wondering if there's a dual meaning behind it as well? (Magnus, Moira, Roman M, the future)

In barely three issues, Hickman's injected more fresh plot hooks and intrigue into the X-Men than sum total of everything after Second Coming, aside from fun vignettes here and there. His run is showing signs of a soft reboot for the X-Men, and I honestly couldn't be more excited for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
claremont's original plan for destiny and mystique was that they were nightcrawler's biological parents. unfortunately, we eventually got azazel instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as for the first horseman, apocalypse had a fully functional celestial spaceship for centuries. it's not strange that he would have done some space travel in that time, or that whoever his first horseman was would still be out there somewhere. as far as i know, it's not a reference to any existing story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How does the decimation interact with Moira's ability? Is the implication that this is potentially Moira's final life because she lost her ability to reincarnate, and whether she gets one more depends on whether decimation is reversed or not? Or might the decimation explain the missing sixth life, like if it's a life where she lost her abilities and so wasn't able to transfer the memories of that particular life to the next?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Well, that’s my favorite issue since at least Morrison’s run. I am a 39 year old professional man reading this poo poo in his office because I can’t wait.

Blockhouse posted:

The actual best return in this issue is Magneto's fuckin' Cthulhu castle from earlyish in Claremont's run

“Octopusheim” as Jay and Miles call it. It’s one of my favorite weird little nonsensical silver age things. It just pops up out of the sea one day and Magneto’s like “huh, guess I’ll make it my home.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Well, that’s my favorite issue since at least Morrison’s run. I am a 39 year old professional man reading this poo poo in his office because I can’t wait.

“Octopusheim” as Jay and Miles call it. It’s one of my favorite weird little nonsensical silver age things. It just pops up out of the sea one day and Magneto’s like “huh, guess I’ll make it my home.”

Claremont's tenure on the X-Men was during the Bronze age. Giant Size X-Men is largely considered one of the markers on the switch from Silver to Bronze.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Claremont's tenure on the X-Men was during the Bronze age. Giant Size X-Men is largely considered one of the markers on the switch from Silver to Bronze.

And yet, Octopusheim is absolutely a Silver Age-y concept, arbitrary time divisions be damned

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

claremont's original plan for destiny and mystique was that they were nightcrawler's biological parents. unfortunately, we eventually got azazel instead.

Interestingly, Pyro calls Destiny "mother" in HoX2, which was never a thing before as I recall. I wonder if that's a mistake, a throwaway minor retcon, or a plot point worth noting?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jng2058 posted:

Interestingly, Pyro calls Destiny "mother" in HoX2, which was never a thing before as I recall. I wonder if that's a mistake, a throwaway minor retcon, or a plot point worth noting?

Pyro's a sarcastic rear end in a top hat so it could just be a figure of speech because she's ordering him around

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I noticed that, but its in Moria's life 2. It's a clearly different timeline and that could be literal or not as well. Not enough to say anything.

edit: could be sarcasm too!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

I noticed that, but its in Moria's life 2. It's a clearly different timeline and that could be literal or not as well. Not enough to say anything.

edit: could be sarcasm too!

Life 3, Life 2 ended in an unceremonious plane crash on the way to meet Professor Xavier. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So maybe I just missed it somewhere. And perhaps it's just right there in plain sight on the image below and I'm dumb, but what do the dashed line portions ofn the timelines represent?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I think that means life 9 ended only after many years into the future? For some reason.

Life 10 is still ongoing, since that's presumably made up of everything we've seen so far.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

TesseractMinotaur posted:

Hickman's take on Moria X is a pretty direct swipe from Claire North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. With that said, it was a clever way to untangle all the different dystopian future the X-Men have seemed to accumulate.

Glad I'm not the only one that caught this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I imagine Apocalypse gave her extremely long life. If you were to scale that timeline to fit her longest lived life, everything else would have been compressed too tightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

So maybe I just missed it somewhere. And perhaps it's just right there in plain sight on the image below and I'm dumb, but what do the dashed line portions ofn the timelines represent?

It may mean something, it may mean nothing but the dashed line marker is also used in the reading order page both in House of X 2 and Powers of X 1 to indicate which book you’re in. It was not used in House 1. It could mean the timeline is ongoing and there’s more to see. Apocalypse’s portion of the book calls for a war without end and then a pause before the next resurrection.