Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

In case I missed anything when searching around, is there anything out there commercially that will automatically connect to my home WiFi and offload flagged recordings to my NAS without requiring my cell phone or a cloud service to be involved?

The fleet of tour buses I drove 2010-2013 had this exact system; I know something exists but you might have to look commercial-grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

STR posted:

I would fill up a 1TB memory card in a few hours if swear detection was built into a camera.

maybe go for a walk or something

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

maybe go for a walk or something

That just reduces the geographical scope of the problem

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, but it gives their camera/microSD a breather, since they presumably won't take it with them for the walk :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Beach Bum posted:

Seriously. If you think drivers are bad in a car, wait until you walk or bike where you are completely invisible and screw ups that cause fender benders kill you.
Literally no one stops for crosswalks, at limit lines, and if you think only bikes run stop signs, I got some stories.
My bike camera is loving R rated.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

Seriously. If you think drivers are bad in a car, wait until you walk or bike where you are completely invisible and screw ups that cause fender benders kill you.
Literally no one stops for crosswalks, at limit lines, and if you think only bikes run stop signs, I got some stories.

My entire bike commute is filled with traffic violations. I’d wager that almost every car I encounter is violating at least one law. Most common is stop sign rolling, no turn signals, and of course using their cell phone while driving. The trifecta is pretty common too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

Only R? I'm disappointed in you. :smith:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Most common is stop sign rolling, no turn signals, and of course using their cell phone while driving. The trifecta is pretty common too.

I don't know what it is, but people sucking at driving because they're on the phone seems worse than ever to me recently. I can't imagine the percent of drivers with smart phones has increased at all the past few years, so I have no explanation for why it's so much worse. Boomers learning how to use instagram?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My state just entered the 21st century and made it illegal to hold your phone while driving. Things seem to be a little better now.

I haven't seen anyone FaceTiming with their phone in their hand in at least a year.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

I haven't seen anyone FaceTiming with their phone in their hand in at least a year.

Every single loving day on I-95 between Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale.

Every

Single

loving

Day

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've seen people at the gym face timing loudly while working out

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Every single loving day on my commute on the west side of Denver. I have to honk at people staring into their lap instead of watching the light when it turns green.

Every

Single

loving

Day

"texting" is the only thing illegal here, you can talk and apparently read facebook and twitter instead of watching the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s mostly you notice women holding the phone up to talk because they don’t want to smudge their makeup. Men just smash the phone against their neck.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU

New Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation.

NWS for good old Aussie swearing

holy poo poo there may be a couple fatalities in this one

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've seen people at the gym face timing loudly while working out

People don't give a gently caress any more. Do you know how many people will sit there and watch videos on their phone in our break room with no loving headphones? What the gently caress is wrong with you? I need to hunt down something super annoying to crank up when they do it instead of just leaving the room.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

fknlo posted:

People don't give a gently caress any more. Do you know how many people will sit there and watch videos on their phone in our break room with no loving headphones? What the gently caress is wrong with you? I need to hunt down something super annoying to crank up when they do it instead of just leaving the room.

Leekspin?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://open.spotify.com/user/pf1hfcyxdoxfelqtsdmpnnq4c/playlist/0MNHPzq7xlKLVlF0pGes7q?si=g-5i2_aGRZCjreLIbEyf5Q

You might not have a job after this though

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fknlo posted:

Why can't you complain to manager or supervisor or whatever, anyone other than the internet

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Why can't you complain to manager or supervisor or whatever, anyone other than the internet

Because complaining on the internet is going to get just as much done? This isn't something even remotely limited to where I work either. I see this poo poo in public on a regular basis too. It's the new hold your phone in front of your face and talk on speakerphone everywhere.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my favorite is old dudes wandering around a store using speakerphone but holding it up to their mouths like a walkie talkie. jfc Carl, this conversation can wait get your loving rear end out of the middle of the aisle

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or they hold it under their mouth like a plate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

Every single loving day on my commute on the west side of Denver. I have to honk at people staring into their lap instead of watching the light when it turns green.

I'm guilty of being that guy that floors it once he realizes the light is green.... after a honk or two. :sigh:

Austin's laws prohibit operating a mobile device while driving or while on a bicycle, but there's an exception carved out in the law for when you're stopped at a red light. 99% of the time my dumbass is trying to change what I'm listening to, and misjudged how long the light would be red.

:downsgun:

I have bluetooth in my car as well (for both music and phone calls), but the seal on the sunroof is :laffo: (it's quieter when it's open), plus the door seals are shot, so if I'm moving above around 35 or so, people can barely hear me. Between that and the motor being flaky, I'm giving serious thought to just caulking the sunroof shut to cut down on noise; it didn't work at all when I got the car anyway. I have the mic mounted next to the factory OnStar mic, which is about as ideal of a position as it can get (bottom center of the rearview mirror, angled toward the driver's seat).

If I'm using my phone in public, I almost always have actual headphones (not lovely earbuds) that also have a mic in them on me. I got them mainly for work, but they sound shockingly decent for wireless headphones in their price range, and have loving amazing battery life. I've had them 3 weeks, use them a few hours a day when I'm working, have never charged them, and when I turned them on last night, my phone said they still had 80% left.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

STR posted:

If I'm using my phone in public, I almost always have actual headphones (not lovely earbuds) that also have a mic in them on me. I got them mainly for work, but they sound shockingly decent for wireless headphones in their price range, and have loving amazing battery life. I've had them 3 weeks, use them a few hours a day when I'm working, have never charged them, and when I turned them on last night, my phone said they still had 80% left.

I have the same headphones and they are pretty great for the price, battery lasts forever.

In other news, I was rear-ended on the highway this morning, and the idiot swerved through two lanes of traffic, almost rolled, and took off at high speed. So now I'm in the market for a dashcam would like both front and rear cameras, any recommendations?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
hi I'm an idiot what do I buy for under 200 or less

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SeldomSeen posted:

I have the same headphones and they are pretty great for the price, battery lasts forever.

In other news, I was rear-ended on the highway this morning, and the idiot swerved through two lanes of traffic, almost rolled, and took off at high speed. So now I'm in the market for a dashcam would like both front and rear cameras, any recommendations?

I like Street Guardian's line of products if you're in the U.S., their customer support is great.
https://streetguardian.cam/
I have a SGGCX2PRO with SGR323CAM (rear) that I'm going to install soon, but I've been very sick. I already have the SG9663DCPRO and it works well for me. They need easier model names, though.

Otherwise the Viofo line of cameras have been well rated on Dashcamtalk.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In case anyone gives a gently caress, an example still:

and a short example video (when it finishes uploading and processing) from the Aukey DR02 I finally got around to installing in my Wrangler. Might have the exposure up too high. Will definitely need to crank it down from 4K to actually record longer trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu4_A6yTD3w

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Dual-Port-Charger/dp/B07D9F1QP8

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fknlo posted:

Because complaining on the internet is going to get just as much done? This isn't something even remotely limited to where I work either. I see this poo poo in public on a regular basis too. It's the new hold your phone in front of your face and talk on speakerphone everywhere.
Well, just get yourself an air horn and keep the button pressed as soon as someone fires up their phone speaker. See if it does anything

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU

New Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation.

NWS for good old Aussie swearing

The crazy person on the scooter @ 5:55 has some amazing comic timing. Hopefully he wasn't too badly hurt.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 10, 2019

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Just got my first video worth posting in a good while. A guy ran a red light in front of a police officer, who pulled out a little too aggressively and nearly ran into the median.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnUQ-V_k-A

smax fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 12, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo what's my best all around buy in the $150 range. Don't need anything fancy, I just want to slap a 64gb micro SD card in it and have a backup for insurance reasons.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

Yo what's my best all around buy in the $150 range. Don't need anything fancy, I just want to slap a 64gb micro SD card in it and have a backup for insurance reasons.

A little over, but Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO+ is supposed to be the best? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/

Is it still the best? I've been looking at it since it was at $200, but its come down recently. I just want full license plate resolution, I don't know if many do that.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

my favorite is old dudes wandering around a store using speakerphone but holding it up to their mouths like a walkie talkie. jfc Carl, this conversation can wait get your loving rear end out of the middle of the aisle

Ah yes, Nextel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hU1tcQqdX8

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

A little over, but Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO+ is supposed to be the best? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/

Is it still the best? I've been looking at it since it was at $200, but its come down recently. I just want full license plate resolution, I don't know if many do that.

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want a higher resolution and just a forward camera (2560*1600) I think the current favorite is the Viofo A119V3. Looks like it's only $120. I'm not sure if there's a favorite vendor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Charles posted:

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

drat, only good on their website direct. Amazon can have the unit to me tomorrow, but Streed Guardian would take 2-3 days unless I pay $40 extra, and I'm going to be away for the weekend. Might wait until next week to order.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 14, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody here turned off their g-sensor and regretted it? I got a B1W a few months ago, and it works fine, but the sensor is extremely sensitive; closing the door when I get in is enough to set it off. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where I'm in a wreck, the dashcam and I both survive, and I don't immediately go pull the footage off it manually.

I assume the sensor is mostly meant for parking mode, right? I just have mine plugged into the cigarette lighter at the moment.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 14, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

If you want a higher resolution and just a forward camera (2560*1600) I think the current favorite is the Viofo A119V3. Looks like it's only $120. I'm not sure if there's a favorite vendor.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks
Edit: any idea how hard it is to install the parking mode power tap?

Edit 2: actually factoring in a SD card that Guardian also looks good. I'll need to do some digging on how to route power for both models and what it takes to install a rear camera.

Edit 3: oh my god why is there so much wiring involved. Why don't these drat things have battery backup?! Who the gently caress wants to pop trim panels and put in fuse taps?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 15, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's other connectors from various companies - mirrortap and invisiwire. They plug into the mirror harness if you have a powered rearview mirror.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MC Hawking posted:

Edit 3: oh my god why is there so much wiring involved. Why don't these drat things have battery backup?! Who the gently caress wants to pop trim panels and put in fuse taps?
Because the only batteries dense enough to power a dashcam for a reasonable amount of time without making it huge really don't like the sort of temperature cycling seen inside a car in a lot of the world. There were a lot of battery powered dashcams, but most of them tended to have battery failures and thus pretty much everyone switched to using capacitors to give the camera time to safely shut down. All cars already have a nice rugged battery proven to take those kinds of conditions, so why not just use that, or an external pack that can be larger and made out of less volatile cells?

FogHelmut posted:

There's other connectors from various companies - mirrortap and invisiwire. They plug into the mirror harness if you have a powered rearview mirror.
It sounds like they're looking for always-on power to support parking mode. Usually the mirror or sunroof connectors that tend to be the easy ceiling-level taps are only powered when the ignition is on. Great for radar detectors and drive-only cameras, not so great in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
That makes a lot of sense re: batteries. I'm okay with drive only activation and no parking mode so juice via the cigarette port is fine. I was just idly speculating what it'd take to rig things up so the car battery doesn't get run down in parking mode.

Maybe I'm seriously misunderstanding how all this works. I clearly need to do more research.