Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Mummy also has issues with the fact that it only really has one story in it, which is The Story Of How I Stopped Being A Mummy And Gave Up Most Of My Powers In Exchange For Freedom, and is not really interested in telling anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Is Hunter 2e ever happening? I've been looking around the Onyx Path website for a minute but the last update is like, last year.

Because speaking of a great game that doesn't get much chat, I really really like Hunter the Vigil. I even ran a Hunter LARP in college.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rand Brittain posted:

Mummy also has issues with the fact that it only really has one story in it, which is The Story Of How I Stopped Being A Mummy And Gave Up Most Of My Powers In Exchange For Freedom, and is not really interested in telling anything else.
"Start at the top of your power curve and slide down it" is one of those ideas that seems like it would be better served as like, a Shards house-rule for a Vampire game about elders rising all ginned up on congealed superblood, than it is for an entire gameline.

e: Hunter whips rear end, and I think it's a game you could probably just omit from doing a 2e for, honestly. You don't really have many powers to apply Conditions, the core game conceit is already pretty tight, and you've already got the whole every-other-gameline's worth of Conditions to mine for what monster powers can apply to the PCs.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 7, 2019

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I think you're right that Hunter is probably the game least in need of a revamp, although there's a couple things I would change around (removing Ashwood Abbey, making Elixers not cost xp per use).

I'd also remove the Aegis Kai Doru since I think they and the Ascending Ones both kind of fit the same niche. Maybe just make all conspiracies the Cheiron Group, idk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Badactura posted:

I think you're right that Hunter is probably the game least in need of a revamp, although there's a couple things I would change around (removing Ashwood Abbey, making Elixers not cost xp per use).

I'd also remove the Aegis Kai Doru since I think they and the Ascending Ones both kind of fit the same niche. Maybe just make all conspiracies the Cheiron Group, idk.
Isn't the Cheiron group the one that wants to give you vampire molars so you can get Auspex or something? That seems... narrow.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

Isn't the Cheiron group the one that wants to give you vampire molars so you can get Auspex or something? That seems... narrow.

Cheiron is a biomedical corporation that wants to harvest the supernatural to produce new, better medical devices and medicines. The stuff they arm their hunters with is generally considered to be their failures - because they're not generally useful medically, can't be sold on the market and/or have way too many negative side effects.

Their successes are stuff like 'using vampires to produce extremely expensive, somewhat addictive anagathic drugs.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Which is funny as that's the same story Promethean has, but Promethean does it a lot better.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Nessus posted:

One Cheiron Group item is just some vampire skin grafted onto you that is irritated when you see another vampire, I'm a big fan of them, since their basic theme is 'no matter what kind of monster you are no one's more evil then a pharma company'.

Them replacing all conspiracies was just me being facetious, because many conspiracies are sort of hit or miss and I wish they were as intersting as the Cheiron Group is to me.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Mummy also has no loyalists. Every edition of Mummy has been a ground-up rewrite and I believe there have been like five of them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Which is funny as that's the same story Promethean has, but Promethean does it a lot better.

The thing is that Promethean is honest about this and you build your PC with a Pilgrimage in mind, but Mummy is deceptive and springs "whoops, being a mummy is for losers" on you later.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Badactura posted:

Is Hunter 2e ever happening? I've been looking around the Onyx Path website for a minute but the last update is like, last year.

Because speaking of a great game that doesn't get much chat, I really really like Hunter the Vigil. I even ran a Hunter LARP in college.

I've been ramping up to run a Hunter game this weekend and as far as I can tell the answer is no. There's a few updated rules in the Mortal Remains book, but hardly enough to bother buying it just for that. We're starting with a tier 1 cell so for the most part the players are just making CoD mortals, since none of them seemed interested in the non-Endowment merits & stuff from the old Hunter book.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Oh poo poo this owns

https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1159025437869088768?s=21

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Rand Brittain posted:

Mummy.

Mummy has a strong premise, and it's super-ambitious, but the dev was too busy making intense eyes at women to exercise any control over whether any of the ideas made any sense. The book is actively deceptive about how it's meant to be played, because the player section has everybody making their own mummy, but this is essentially impossible and the Frameworks don't make it so. It really wants to be some kind of story-game troupe-play My Life With Master thing where you take turns playing the mummy and her cultists.

Also, it can't be consistent about important setting elements like "mummies can't make artifacts" because huge sections of the corebook were obviously written by people who thought mummies can make artifacts. And if they can't make artifacts, what purpose do the Guilds even serve? How do mummies continue to maintain these complex social structures when they're mostly amnesiac and spend 99% of history as rotting corpses? And if you elide those difficulties to make the social structure possible, why even have them in the first place?

Also, Book of the Deceived apparently won writing awards, and I have no idea how because the whole thing is word salad.

Are we talking more "developer was too busy being a sex pest and had to be let go" or more "developer has a hard-on for mummy girls and this bled into his work?"

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Dots are serious business buddy and I applaud your close following of the true vtm experience

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Libertad! posted:

Are we talking more "developer was too busy being a sex pest and had to be let go" or more "developer has a hard-on for mummy girls and this bled into his work?"
I think it was that Suleyman guy? I think it's the first one.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Unfortunately, reactionary product lovers are demanding to keep it so it matters rather than ensure the chargen system is newbie-friendly and free of traps and pitfalls.

Lmfao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Libertad! posted:

Indeed, it was C.A. Suleiman who is a giant sex pest and had the most hilariously unapologetic apology letter ever which included things that it wasn't his fault he was constantly thirsty and also that he, quote, 'possessed of eyes with an intensity some call alarming' so he was basically flirting without trying? I dunno. Although when the news broke he was working for Green Ronin, who promised a timeline at some point absolving them of all responsibility that has yet to manifest.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 8, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Libertad! posted:

I assumed it was a deep cut joke about the Universal Pictures version of The Mummy, where Imhotep spends most of his time doing exactly that.

Dawgstar posted:

Indeed, it was C.A. Suleiman who is a giant sex pest and had the most hilariously unapologetic apology letter ever which included things that it wasn't his fault because he, quote, 'possessed of eyes with an intensity some call alarming.' Although when the news broke he was working for Green Ronin, who promised a timeline at some point absolving them of all responsibility that has yet to manifest.

are we sure C. A. Suleiman isn't a mummy irl

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's more "developer was completely uninterested in killing the project's darlings so that there are a bunch of ideas that should have been cut because they don't work, and also he was a sex pest who gave the official dumbest apology for sexual harassment ever so people will never not mention that."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hunter 2e is in I think first drafts, according to Monday Meeting posts.

Libertad! posted:

From what I recall, the Mummy line was basically "finished" long before CAS got something resembling comeuppance. He's a big Egyptology nerd, which is fair enough. The big problems with Mummy were: 1) Way too much obtuse jargon and loredumping, 2) Bad meta considerations about gameplay as described above.

Nevertheless there's something there I'd like to see get a second chance, which it will thankfully without CAS.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't CA get pissed over something in Hunter related to Mummy?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't CA get pissed over something in Hunter related to Mummy?

I think there was some group which ate mummies for power? Which, while a neat reference to the whole medical cannibalism thing where people ground up and ate mummies in real life for alleged medical benefits, doesn't really jive with how capital-m Mummies work in nWoD? (for reasons I don't remember)

EDIT: not that I can remember anything a bout him getting mad at it, but if he did it was probably this

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Capital-M Mummies are explicitly inedible.

For...reasons.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
These are the only mummies I'm interested in playing. Actually, maybe you could do Daft: The Punkening, you got mummies, skeletons, space robots, bathing beauties, and tracksuit guys. That's five subsplats right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKYPYj2XX80

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'll be real, as a major egyptology-head and one of a handful of people who really likes mummies as a stock horror monster, Mummy The Game does not appeal to me at all

- they're not like mummies so much as sleepy sexy guys (not-actually-x-but-instead-sexy-guys should be called WoD syndrome)

- not even from egypt

- peons instead of some kind of cool kings or high priest type guys

- doesnt make any sense why there would be a whole team of mummies, they could have solved that by just saying the mummies were buried in taskforces so they could do their artifact hunts more effectively

- in all the mummy movies the mummy gets gradually more powerful as they awaken back to full power, not less powerful. it's also just kind of a lovely premise for a game that you get weaker as you try to do your mission.

- stupid metaplot is back in action

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The worst part of Mummy is they brought back changing TN.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Has anybody taken the WoD game mechanics and set it in a totally mundane, non-WoD setting.

I wanna play Person: The Human. I have an idea for a character who’s an office worker that is particularly skilled at guitar and cooking.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The most hilarious part of the CAS thing for me was how he tried to defend his actions by saying that he was the sole breadwinner for the absurd number of women in his family and thus by cutting him out of the industry you were actually hurting more women than by simply letting him be a sex pest.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
One of my Awakening characters had a Computer specialty in Microsoft Office.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Berkshire Hunts posted:

One of my Awakening characters had a Computer specialty in Microsoft Office.

That's exactly the thing you need to reveal the ventrue primogen's intel report is just a sophmore polisci student's term paper. Track revisions, bitch. :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any feedback on the CHUDs I posted last page?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

The most hilarious part of the CAS thing for me was how he tried to defend his actions by saying that he was the sole breadwinner for the absurd number of women in his family and thus by cutting him out of the industry you were actually hurting more women than by simply letting him be a sex pest.
I'm... under the impression that there's no way he could be supporting that many people in the tabletop RPG industry

like, I'm pretty sure most people in it have trouble supporting just themselves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GNU Order posted:

Has anybody taken the WoD game mechanics and set it in a totally mundane, non-WoD setting.

I wanna play Person: The Human. I have an idea for a character who’s an office worker that is particularly skilled at guitar and cooking.

why would you want to

nWoD at least raised the mechanics to the level of "clunky but serviceable enough to tolerate because it's the system all the cool, setting-specific stuff is built in" but if not for that I would never play these games

that said there's nothing stopping you from doing that with blue book mortals if you want to!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Soonmot posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the CHUDs I posted last page?

They seem like mean combatants, and solely combat oriented when you run into them, which imo generally limits their utility as antagonists. Their incredible infection rate also means that it's basically kill them fast or the apocalypse happens or they die of starvation.

I'd remove the 'attack on sight' aspect of them since it limits their ability to actually hunt or sustain themselves.

All in all a mean antagonist in a combat oriented game though, I would not want to Hunter them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Badactura posted:

They seem like mean combatants, and solely combat oriented when you run into them, which imo generally limits their utility as antagonists. Their incredible infection rate also means that it's basically kill them fast or the apocalypse happens or they die of starvation.

I'd remove the 'attack on sight' aspect of them since it limits their ability to actually hunt or sustain themselves.

All in all a mean antagonist in a combat oriented game though, I would not want to Hunter them.
Thanks!

Yeah these are for my werewolf game where even the intellectual nerd character has an 8 die combat pool. I hear you on the attack on sight, which is why I added that bit to the Pack Leader condition. The Alpha CHUDs allow the lesser CHUDs to act on orders. Without an Alpha around, a couple CHUDs have a month of needing to kill at LEAST a person a day before they start to multiply. Even mortal hunters can take down four CHUDs working together, it's only when a fifth joins in and they swarm that things get bad. Still, they really should be stealthier, I think that got lost when I was typing it up.

You are also 100% correct that they're not main antagonists. Even in my game, they're fallout from the Ivory Claw/Invictus aligned vampire alliance.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The Wordspeakers

Parent Clan: Mekhet. Are Toreadore in Requiem? Prolly them too. And the artsy-fartsy Ventrue.
Nicknames: Slamsters, Slam Poets, Slammasters, White People Hip Hop, Rappers But Bad At Rhyming
Covenant: man don't make me look that poo poo up you know i don't know requiem
Appearance: generally not great. like an elementary school's lost and found bin, but with an attitude about it.
Haven: Wordspeakers prefer to haunt the abandoned malls they spent the 80s and 90s in, when they're not being sad in disused theaters, cramped coffeeshops, or getting kicked out of bars for smoking weed in the parking lot.
Background: Coinciding almost entirely with the rise and fall of Def Poetry Jam, the Wordspeakers were a- Oh! A covenant! Yeah this is a covenant not a bloodline. Anyway, they were a covenant of extremely prolific artists, who, due to being too weird for the artistic establishment, decided instead to form their own art form slash cult of personality.
Even after mainstream kindred society got tired of their gimmick, the Wordspeakers continued recruiting disaffected college dweebs and dudes who can't rap to shout about politics for 3 minutes at a time. Sadly, the covenant's formal support structure collapsed after years of financial mismanagement failed to change the simple fact that no one ever wants to pay for poems.
Character Creation: Like a writer, or vocal performer, except bad.
Bloodline Disciplines: As parent clan. While performing together, Wordspeakers get a bonus to Crafts or Expression equal to the number of other performers, but like, who cares?
Weakness: Wordspeakers have an extremely jilted, idiosyncratic way of speaking, as though they were attempting to approximate the freeform nature of contemporary poetry by inserting awkward pauses every handful of words. Older Wordspeakers tend to use "jazz cat" patois which is heavily punctuated by metaphors indecipherable to everyone, speaker included.
Attempting to socially engage a Wordspeaker in anything but a series of catty observations about other people present suffers a -3 penalty. Riddles and puzzles created by Wordspeakers (including metaphors) cannot be solved, even through supernatural means.
Organization: Wordspeakers travel in cliques of 4-6 performers managed by an older "team captain" but only 4 wordspeakers can be active in the scene at a time.
Concepts: Not Like The Other Hoteps, Sadboy Sexual Predator, White Dreadlocks Weedsmeller, Anyone Got Some Acid?, Can You Cover My Share Of The Rent, Standup Comedy Didn't Like Me Either, Spider Jerusalem Facial Tattoo, Unironic Riot Grrl, Ernest Cline.
History: Wait, how is this different than Backgrounds?
Society and Culture: Fragmented and extremely regional. While larger cities can support as many as five concurrent Cliques, most cities have trouble supporting one, meaning that the most talented performers are farmed from more rural areas as established veterans either retire from the scene or are revealed to have been prolific abusers. This ensues a great deal of animosity and friction between teams, despite the inescapable fact that no one else goes to their shows.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did you just make a bloodline of Post Malones?

Love it

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Slam poets but given how often i'm confused for Business Casual Post Malone, yeah basically.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Players already exist to be What If Vampires Were Total Idiot Poseurs. I suppose that these are less 'hey, hey, I AM TOTALLY A TWILIGHT GUYS LOOK HOW COOL I AM' tho.

(The Players are a Mekhet bloodline whose unique superpower is convincing everyone around them they are smarter, more attractive and more physically powerful than they actually are. It wears off and stops working on people after a while. Everyone that runs into them tends to assume they must have some kind of secret or dark past or just not be the obvious idiots they seem because what the gently caress, how are you people even still alive. The Players nod happily at this and act as if they have that secret or dark, tragic past or conspiracy bullshit, because that sounds really cool.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I didn't know there were slam poets anymore.