Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mossyfisk posted:

"until your next turn"?

is there something I'm missing?

To help creatures with tap effects? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jabor posted:

It means if your opponent steals the creature several turns later, you don't have to remember whether it came into play via Chainer's ability or not.

It's this.

Remember that these are cards designed with multiplayer games in mind.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's this.

Remember that these are cards designed with multiplayer games in mind.

I think they were confused as to why it wasn’t just until EoT.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I was actually somewhat intrigued by the new Chainer until I realized it was only once per turn. Otherwise, this Madness deck looks like it would benefit from Patriarch's Bidding, but I'm sure Wizards is too cowardly to reprint it in a commander deck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Katana Gomai posted:

My point is that there shouldn't be "Commander" cards, just like there are no Draft, Standard or Pauper cards. It's lazy design.

There absolutely are draft cards, unless you're running the 3 mana conditional bolts and 5 mana black removal sorceries and green common vanilla 7/7 beaters and poo poo in constructed. Very conservatively half the cards in every set are draft cards.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Arivia posted:

Making Chainer red feels weird to me. His entire novel was about using black mana!

I think it's supposed to be young Chainer, testing his abilities, before he was the Cabal's stalwart. So the red is more character flavor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

:psyduck:

Use it in a multiplayer game during the player to your left's turn to get another turn. If you can make copies indefinitely, you can permanently lock almost everyone out of the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LifeLynx posted:

Use it in a multiplayer game during the player to your left's turn to get another turn. If you can make copies indefinitely, you can permanently lock almost everyone out of the game.

It exiles itself on use.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LifeLynx posted:

Use it in a multiplayer game during the player to your left's turn to get another turn. If you can make copies indefinitely, you can permanently lock almost everyone out of the game
You'd really only be locking the poor guy across from you out of the game. Lefty and righty get one turn for each of your two turns.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

You'd really only be locking the poor guy across from you out of the game. Lefty and righty get one turn for each of your two turns.

If you make two copies a turn, you can lock two players out of the game. It’s hard to do, but the definition of a feel bad/npr card.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I much prefer this reading of the card

https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1159486354956443649

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Count Bleck posted:

It exiles itself on use.

This + Prototype Portal + Unwinding Clock (since it enters tapped). But I'm already doing this in my Memnarch deck with Ugin's Nexus to take infinite turns, which is way better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's already an UN card that does that, if you have cool friends.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ItBreathes posted:

There's already an UN card that does that, if you have cool friends.

I do have cool friends, which is why I don't play commander.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if this the right thread but I had a loving amazing game last night.

I was playing Temur Elementals vs. Orzhov Ajani deck. They got their Ajanis out and started pumping them, I got lucky and got Omnath and Reef out and was pumping both of them. He got the flooring B/W Happy creature that pumps with life gain and started loving me up. I got a 12/12 Krasis out only for it to be pacified, I got a 13/13 Krasis out the next round only for it to be pacified. I ended up milling myself out. Dude had 26 life. I ended up playing 2 Chandras and making GBS threads out 2 Elementals. I played basically every Elena card I had until I had only 4 Mana left. I played a new Omnath and did 22 points of damage, then Shock x2 to win.

It was a loving awesome game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I called the gently caress out of a new Greven.

Well deserved, his old card is booty.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
New Greven card rocks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LifeLynx posted:

A Uno Engine

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

This seems pretty nuts in the right deck.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I called the gently caress out of a new Greven.

Well deserved, his old card is booty.

I bet you the other card associated with Greven will be worth quite a bit more booty after this. You know...apart from the whole reserved list thing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Greven would have a lot of fun with Necropotence too

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kurtofan posted:

A Uno Engine

Timewalk is Skip/Reverse for 2-player game

Mind Twist is Draw-4-Wild

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tulul posted:

You know what this card is fun with? Pyromancer, Saheeli, and (especially) Monastery Mentor.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This set kinda sucks

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sampatrick posted:

This set kinda sucks

Its EDH so.........

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

This set kinda sucks

They're good decks for anyone who doesn't have a huge collection and needs staples and/or a decent base to start with as a build-up project deck. But for anyone who's as invested as anyone who posts in this thread, yeah, just buy the singles you want unless you need enough that buying the full deck would be cheaper/more convenient.

On topic, it's absolutely the laziest thing in the world that the official decklist site doesn't have the new cards in it. "Note that our system won't be updated with the new cards, so all you'll have is a name to go on." Holy poo poo you are the web team, spend ten minutes to code the new cards onto the page, they're already on the card image gallery.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The thing is, the set sucks even if you want to buy singles. Look at Commander sets starting a few years ago and go back to the first one. Each of them has at least a few cards that are seen constantly in either competitive pods or casual pods. Last year's was a turd and so far this year's is barely any better.

So much for making up for the year where they raised the prices and printed worse cards. I guess at least this year they "only" printed bad cards.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lol, Waste Not as a creature that costs 5 is an interesting choice.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

TheMaestroso posted:

Lol, Waste Not as a creature that costs 5 is an interesting choice.

Waste Not triggers off opponents discarding.

Bone Miser triggers off its controller discarding. Seems pretty interesting with the new Chainer and Anje.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tulul posted:

I'm disappointed the Eldrazi token doesn't have Annihilator.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Waste Not triggers off opponents discarding.

Bone Miser triggers off its controller discarding. Seems pretty interesting with the new Chainer and Anje.

Ah, now I remember why nobody played that card! Makes sense to make the better version of that effect a creature.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Waste Not is pretty fun with wheels.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Waste Not is pretty fun with wheels.

Waste Not is a build around card, but it's a super spicy one. I'm a fan.

It also only costs 1B and is harder to remove than a creature.

Why would you ever play Bone Miser over it? It costs way more.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 8, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Waste Not is a build around card, but it's a super spicy one. I'm a fan.

It also only costs 1B and is harder to remove than a creature.

Why would you ever play Bone Miser over it? It costs way more.

Bone miser triggers off your own discards so its way easier to set up desired effects

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bone miser triggers off your own discards so its way easier to set up desired effects

This is true but waste not affects all your opponents. Like Aranan said, it's fun with wheels for that reason-- it's huge value for a small enchantment but you need to build around it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 8, 2019

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It's really hard to build around individual cards in commander that aren't you commander because it's 1 card out of 100 (Even if tutors can increase that number to 3 or 4 out of 100) and most people pack non creature permanent removal because of lack of sideboards, and are more likely to draw it because the games are much longer.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Retromancer posted:

It's really hard to build around individual cards in commander that aren't you commander because it's 1 card out of 100 (Even if tutors can increase that number to 3 or 4 out of 100) and most people pack non creature permanent removal because of lack of sideboards, and are more likely to draw it because the games are much longer.

This is why you should always play Sidisi and just tutor whenever you want.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You typically wouldn't build around an individual card. You can build around a strategy though, and packing your deck full of Wheels is not bad when cards like Waste Not, Notion Thief, new Narset, Smothering Tithe, etc exist. Granted, none of these work well at the same time but they're all great wheel enhancers.

Combine that with graveyard recursion like Yawgmoth's Will/Mnemonic Betrayal and commanders like Kess and you have a ton of value to work with.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I would honestly play Waste Not AND Bone Miser with Wheels for maximum value.