Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Man, it seems like the tech blog infatuation with Samsung is over, another "Why do we need this?" article on the Note 10.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/galaxy-note-10-10-plus-relevance/

Maybe they'll introduce a photography focus to the S series, kind of like how Huawei differentiates the P and Mate series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"Nobody should ever need a front-facing camera" and "Nobody should care how their phone looks" is :goonsay: as gently caress, thank you all for that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I kinda like the top bezel on the Pixel 4. I'm over this notch trend. And yes pop-up cameras are stupid as poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I kinda like the top bezel on the Pixel 4. I'm over this notch trend. And yes pop-up cameras are stupid as poo poo.

Same tbh

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

Anyone that decries front facing cameras as useless should be required to post a selfie.

I know how loving ugly I am, that's the whole point. Imagine being such a narcissistic millennial that you need a selfie cam lol

The only time my front facing camera was ever used was when it automatically turned on for an incoming WebEx call with my boss, while I was naked

tino posted:

ROG2 is still the best though.

Holy poo poo... 6000mah battery, and RGB lighting on the back to let everyone know to avoid me? I'm seriously tempted to put up with Asus's abysmal quality control and RMA system to take a chance on one of those.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I know how loving ugly I am, that's the whole point. Imagine being such a narcissistic millennial that you need a selfie cam lol

The only time my front facing camera was ever used was when it automatically turned on for an incoming WebEx call with my boss, while I was naked

Holy poo poo... 6000mah battery, and RGB lighting on the back to let everyone know to avoid me? I'm seriously tempted to put up with Asus's abysmal quality control and RMA system to take a chance on one of those.

Post your pic!

Also it's ok and good actually for people to feel good enough about who they are to share it.

Also also they're not used exclusively for selfies. Many people (myself included) video chat with family that lives far away!

But seriously, post your pic. Please be clothed in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I never said FFC weren't important, I just said I very rarely use mine so the pop-up is fine and is preferable to me than a notch or hole punch.

Seriously though, the hole punch on the Note 10 is dumb as loving poo poo because it is so far from the edge of the screen that the notification bar needs to be thicker like the 2.5 year old Essential phone. That's just bad design on a 2019 flagship.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

If you make one more negative comment about front-facing cameras in this thread, ever, you must post a selfie or eat a ban.

God bless.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is okay for a phone to have a bezel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any downsides to pop-up cams other than unknown long term reliability and a lack of waterproofing? For me those two at least are easily acceptable trade offs for allowing for highly efficient use of the phone's front real estate.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's amusing how much a few of you hate pop up/flip cameras, yet so far has there been any news of one of them failing yet? The Asus one even survived being handled pretty roughly by the torture test guy on Youtube, and the OnePlus so far hasn't put theirs in upside down or anything yet.

:10bux: says the pop up function of almost all the phones that have them currently, outlast the batter and probably the rest of the phone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

docbeard posted:

This. Also it's ok for the drat things to be 1-2mm thicker to have a battery that lasts worth a poo poo

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

docbeard posted:

What I really want is enough of a lip that putting the phone on my nightstand face down doesn't put the glass against the wood. Ditto for the camera glass. At this point that's most of why I have a case at all.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Syrinxx posted:

This. Also it's ok for the drat things to be 1-2mm thicker to have a battery that lasts worth a poo poo
And so they don't have a camera wart that makes my phone wobble on flat surfaces.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Anyone that decries front facing cameras as useless should be required to post a selfie.

Only if the "lol if you ever use your phone to talk to people" folks have to post a recording of their voice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think we can all agree that the thing that needs to die is glass backs.

Ohhh, looks all fancy in press shots, immediately gets covered with a case as soon as it comes out of the box.

Ceramic, plastic, or anodized metal. Glass can suck poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, front cameras good, front cameras that don't actually block out part of the screen better, and the pop-up camera is a neat idea but I would absolutely destroy one within seconds of owning the phone because I am genetically incapable of leaving moving parts alone on devices I own.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I thought the 6P did the rear camera well with its hump evenly across the back so it was a hump, but not on only one corner hump so it set up a little but wasn't wobbly.

Hell I would just take the design of the 6P all over again with modern internals and some fancy camera in the same size/shape hump since there was room for a lot more anyway. Bezels and all as the speakers were a hell of a lot better than on say the Pixel 2, and the flat glass all across the front.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

Only if the "lol if you ever use your phone to talk to people" folks have to post a recording of their voice.

I really just need people reading that post to understand that people who take selfies are not automatically vain/vapid/self absorbed/whatever. It is absolutely, 100% valid to take pictures of yourself. Be happy with who you are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Front facing cameras are nice. I like using Duo with friends and family, especially family overseas :shobon:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

Ohhh, looks all fancy in press shots, immediately gets covered with a case as soon as it comes out of the box.

I can't explain why but I loved the knurled metal buttons on the og Pixel. I like metal in general. Too bad it blocks wireless charging.

Also:

RZA Encryption posted:

I really just need people reading that post to understand that people who take selfies are not automatically vain/vapid/self absorbed/whatever. It is absolutely, 100% valid to take pictures of yourself. Be happy with who you are.

I literally never take them, and wish there was a way to somehow reduce cost by not including them, but I recognize that's my preference.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's amusing how much a few of you hate pop up/flip cameras, yet so far has there been any news of one of them failing yet? The Asus one even survived being handled pretty roughly by the torture test guy on Youtube, and the OnePlus so far hasn't put theirs in upside down or anything yet.

:10bux: says the pop up function of almost all the phones that have them currently, outlast the batter and probably the rest of the phone.

Since all point and shot cameras have pop out lens, I don't know why people think they will fail.

Do you search for a non pop out lens when you shop for p&s? Nobody cares.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I literally never take them, and wish there was a way to somehow reduce cost by not including them, but I recognize that's my preference.

:rip: project ara

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Agreed. I love the anodized metal back and wish I could have that AND wireless charging :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Nope, glass owns. It feels good and allows for wireless charging. Also part of the No Case Crew.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Big fan of the metal body. The Nexus One felt great in your hand.

butt dickus posted:

Also part of the No Case Crew.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

RZA Encryption posted:

K

I'd almost pay extra for a phone without one, if it meant no notch/bezel and never having camera apps start with the wrong facing

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phosphine posted:

K

I'd almost pay extra for a phone without one, if it meant no notch/bezel and never having camera apps start with the wrong facing

You look like you're having a great time there! Thanks for the pic.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
What's this potato quality photo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

I swear my Nokia 9 slides off perfectly horizontal surfaces.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Signed. It's the one thing about the Pixel 3a better than the 3.

butt dickus posted:

Nope, glass owns. It feels good and allows for wireless charging. Also part of the No Case Crew.

That's what plastic polycarbonate is for.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sourdough posted:

That's what plastic polycarbonate is for.

:v: "if you make the phone out of TPU, you won't have to buy a case!"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've got an old dodocool USB-C charger that I got when I was still using a Nexus 6P. Will it do fast charging on a OP7/OP7 Pro?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Phosphine posted:

K

Well played, sir.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Why are the Android Q betas being built for the original Pixel? I thought they weren't getting any more version updates after two years, or did Google change that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

anakha posted:

I've got an old dodocool USB-C charger that I got when I was still using a Nexus 6P. Will it do fast charging on a OP7/OP7 Pro?

The OnePlus 7 Pro supports up to 15w on USB-PD. So, it's fast charging in the same sense as Pixel fast charging, but about half the rate you get with the warp charger.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Speaking of terrible phone trends: slow, unreliable under glass fingerprint readers, especially given how good capacitive ones on the back (or wherever) are.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

tino posted:

What's this potato quality photo.

The authentic pixel experience, in that the ffc is poo poo, because Google also knows it doesn't matter. (Also pic was taken in motion with HDR, it's much darker out than it looks)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wax Dynasty posted:

Why are the Android Q betas being built for the original Pixel? I thought they weren't getting any more version updates after two years, or did Google change that?

From Google: "Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

From Google: "Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store"

Where does it say that? I see this on Google's Pixel Help page: