Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
In John Varley's excellent Eight Worlds series, Pluto is given more gravity by throwing a bunch of micro black holes into the core to give the planet more mass.

Sure in like a few hundred thousand years having micro black holes zip back and forth through the core will finally add up in damage, but hey, short term gain of Luna-like gravity to Pluto!

Actually, I'd highly recommend Varley's works for any Trek fan. They are great world building at making a strange but hopeful utopia out of the ashes of an apocalypse-like event that wipes out most of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Thom12255 posted:

How long do you have to wait before the 2nd shot won't vaporize whatever it is.

Forever, since the third shot vaporizes them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zurui posted:

I decided to hold back until someone else said something. Thank you for being that someone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

jeeves posted:

Actually, I'd highly recommend Varley's works for any Trek fan. They are great world building at making a strange but hopeful utopia out of the ashes of an apocalypse-like event that wipes out most of humanity.

Wow one of his short stories from that series was adapted as Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, one of the greatest MST3K turds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

"TNG reflected I guess a more innocent time," continued Kurtzman. "It was always telling great stories, complicated stories, modern parables—but we live in a much, much more complicated and darker time than that and Trek at its best has always been a mirror that's reflected the world that we live in. 

quote:

But Picard has to soul search and, to soul search, you need a dark night of the soul in order to come out the other side, lighter and brighter, and, in order to make the world brighter, he has to face that part of himself.

gently caress off Kurtzman I hate you.

Also for gently caress's sake when TNG was conceived and began the Cold War was still looming over the world.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow one of his short stories from that series was adapted as Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, one of the greatest MST3K turds.

It's on YouTube and watching Raul Julio in it is something else. Go for it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Also for gently caress's sake when TNG was conceived and began the Cold War was still looming over the world.

the same TNG that started airing right around chernobyl, iran-contra, the iran-iraq war, eurodisney, black monday, the twins winning the world series.

the world is different now though, everyone has to betray each other and be in constant conflict, torture is required, and sometimes hey, the cia ain't so bad.

kurtzmann is a hack, STD isn't getting any better after season 2, and picard is going to be just as bad as everything else he touches

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zurui posted:

It's been too long since I've watched SG1.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

the same TNG that started airing right around chernobyl, iran-contra, the iran-iraq war, eurodisney, black monday, the twins winning the world series.

the world is different now though, everyone has to betray each other and be in constant conflict, torture is required, and sometimes hey, the cia ain't so bad.

kurtzmann is a hack, STD isn't getting any better after season 2, and picard is going to be just as bad as everything else he touches

imagine what it must be like to still get excited for Star trek just because they reference characters and things you remember from your childhood while the philosophical underpinning that made it memorable for 50 years has been completely abandoned in favour of edgelord neoliberalism

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

imagine what it must be like to still get excited for Star trek just because they reference characters and things you remember from your childhood while the philosophical underpinning that made it memorable for 50 years has been completely abandoned in favour of edgelord neoliberalism

My enjoyment of the show for other reasons notwithstanding, this is the single main point as to why I think The Orville is a better Trek show than Discovery

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So, in all honesty, I finally sat down and watched all of Discovery over this last month. Based on the commentary in this thread, I expected some dark BSG post 9/11 poo poo...and I just never found it. The closest you can find is the end of Season 1, but honestly that ending would feel at home in a middle-of-the-road episode of DS9 or a better episode of Voyager.

What I'm actually engaged with is that, for the first time since DS9, I'm in love with some of the characters in Trek. Not all of them of course, but the cast isn't a bland collections of cardboard cutouts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zurui posted:

So, in all honesty, I finally sat down and watched all of Discovery over this last month. Based on the commentary in this thread, I expected some dark BSG post 9/11 poo poo...and I just never found it.

The protagonist attempted to commit mutiny in order to open fire on a Klingon ship, booby-trapped a corpse, deliberately murdered an enemy leader, blamed herself for starting a horrific war, was sentenced to a prison forced-labor gang that was sent out to replace the fifty other prison laborers killed offscreen in a preventable mining accident, ended up on a ship full of scientists resentful that they'd been conscripted into the war effort, found herself still hated and snubbed by her former crewmates, became the protege of the ship's unstable captain who was sleeping with an Admiral to further his career, enslaved an innocent tardigrade to wear the special nipple-clamps to navigate the ship, and finally hooked up with a rape-and-torture-victim former POW who's positively riddled with PTSD. And that's just in the first few episodes.

You're right, this is indistinguishable from the let's-see-what's-out-there idealism of TNG.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

The protagonist attempted to commit mutiny in order to open fire on a Klingon ship, booby-trapped a corpse, deliberately murdered an enemy leader, blamed herself for starting a horrific war, was sentenced to a prison forced-labor gang that was sent out to replace the fifty other prison laborers killed offscreen in a preventable mining accident, ended up on a ship full of scientists resentful that they'd been conscripted into the war effort, found herself still hated and snubbed by her former crewmates, became the protege of the ship's unstable captain who was sleeping with an Admiral to further his career, enslaved an innocent tardigrade to wear the special nipple-clamps to navigate the ship, and finally hooked up with a rape-and-torture-victim former POW who's positively riddled with PTSD. And that's just in the first few episodes.

You're right, this is indistinguishable from the let's-see-what's-out-there idealism of TNG.

But they added Spock and the Enterprise so now everything is fine and this is fine and there's nothing screwed up about any of it because there's no difference between good and bad things

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

But they added Spock and the Enterprise so now everything is fine and this is fine and there's nothing screwed up about any of it because there's no difference between good and bad things

You could stop putting words in my mouth, that would be rad. I never mentioned any of this.

Yes, Discovery is darker than other Trek (even DS9) and yes the first few episodes are a mess. It's almost like they were conceived by a showrunner who then left and they had to write their way out of that. Almost. I'm not going to say it's without flaws.

The idea that Trek should be this sexless happy idealistic utopia always and forever is peak Gene's Vision bullshit. The core elements of Star Trek (space exploration, fighting for utopian ideals, interesting moral dilemmas) are present and accounted for in Discovery.

The addition of Spock to the second season was unnecessary and I'm not a huge fan of Section 31 being a thing again but they've taken the series in new and interesting directions aside from that.

It's okay not to like things, you don't have to actively insult the people who enjoy them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zurui posted:

Trek should be sexless ... Gene's Vision

WHAT?!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 8, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thom12255 posted:

How long do you have to wait before the 2nd shot won't vaporize whatever it is.

It's the third shot that.... wait a minute that was a trap.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A ton of people like discovery, they just don't post here because this is not a thread for people, generally speaking, who like stuff

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

You'll forgive me if I stop taking anything this guy says seriously now

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i liked DISCO at the time but find it p. middling in retrospect compared to Real Good poo poo like b5 and GLOW

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The stuff about Discovery being grimdark is ridiculously overblown. It's a good show and is only a little darker than other Star Treks.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Discovery was a great if initially frustrating ride while it was happening, but it has left me with little desire to revisit it ever again. (Except maybe to gawk at the effects.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was fine, but even though it was the first Trek show I watched in its entirety, I was pretty confused until I started watching TNG, and then I was like "oh ok that's the Trek people are always raving about"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

piratepilates posted:

On the other hand, Europe was marching closer and closer to becoming the EU, the Soviet Union was starting to give in (and the Eastern Bloc as a whole was disintegrating), Apartheid was on the ropes, and things were changing in the developing world, like Marcos being deposed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People drat discovery with faint praise. When even the people that enjoy it can only say things like, "it's fine," and the general way of dealing with criticism is to attack the motives or character of the criticizer you know something is pretty bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

People drat discovery with faint praise. When even the people that enjoy it can only say things like, "it's fine," and the general way of dealing with criticism is to attack the motives or character of the criticizer you know something is pretty bad.
The acting talent is there, but the writing in a lot of episodes clearly never got a pass beyond the first draft because almost every episode has basic continuity problems.

I'm just not sure how thrilled I am about them doing the Voyager thing for Season 3 but in the distant future.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I actually even liked the style. I liked the ships, the characters, even the updated take on Klingons to an extent (don't kill me). But the writing was just so loving bad. I would watch the Disco crew on TNG-style exploration stuff in a heartbeat, but I don't need Literally The Plot Of Terminator in my Trek.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i liked the wonkavator

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

when people say the acting is good, who precisely are they talking about? I only saw a single episode, obviously that's not going to give me a complete impression, but the acting didn't particularly stand out to me. for the most part it was alright, with some cases (that ash guy) being downright awful. it didn't leave me feeling like the acting was particularly notable compared to the other star trek shows, nor to other film or tv in general.

and again, I have only seen one episode, so take this with a grain of salt since I don't have much to back it up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pike and Saru are good. Burnham's actress is given a lot of garbage but does as good a job as you could expect with it. Stamets too. And in season one there was Lorca and Mudd.

Georgiou is also great. She shouldn't be in the show, but that's again part of the overall package making no sense.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trek should be sexless because when it tries 9 out of 10 times it’s an embarrassing attempt to be sexy. The 1 time it wasn’t was Dax (Jadzia)... most of the time.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kibayasu posted:

Trek should be sexless because when it tries 9 out of 10 times it’s an embarrassing attempt to be sexy. The 1 time it wasn’t was Dax (Jadzia)... most of the time.

:agreed:

I rewatched First Contact last night and... ugh. Horny Data is the worst thing I've ever seen.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i am going to state for the record that i had a thing for the borg queen but this is no way invalidates and in fact probably supports your thesis

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sexy Trek is fine. Horny Trek(see gel decontamination scene in Enterprise) is super loving embarrassing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's kind of weird that Worf and Ro get really good final episodes on Next Gen and Wesley gets a stupid final episode, but at least a wrap-up for the character. I wonder if Season 7 would have been better if they didn't know they had the movie and thought it was their last shot with some of these characters.

Lester Shy posted:

I rewatched First Contact last night and... ugh. Horny Data is the worst thing I've ever seen.
The sex face he makes when she blows on his skin is like walking in on your dad masturbating.

But I do just want Star Trek to meet its destiny of being as queer as it should be.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 9, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sexless: Uhura's miniskirt uniform, "fully functional" Data, Lwaxana Troi, Oo-mox

I'll have to rely on someone who's seen Discovery to fill me in on what's not sexless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

When was the Cold War supposed to have ever ended anyway? Last I checked our president was chosen by a KGB officer and all signs point to it happening again very soon so I'm assuming we lost that war.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Sexless: Uhura's miniskirt uniform, "fully functional" Data, Lwaxana Troi, Oo-mox

I'll have to rely on someone who's seen Discovery to fill me in on what's not sexless.

fully sexual klingon titties

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lester Shy posted:

I rewatched Nemesis when my wife was around. She's not a trek fan at all. The scene where Troi gets psychically raped while her and Riker are trying to get it on was gratuitous and embarrassing.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Slightly related to the cherenkov radiation talk from a few pages back.

Uranium in a gas chamber so you can see the particles being fissioned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiscokCGOhs&t=99s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Khanstant posted:

When was the Cold War supposed to have ever ended anyway? Last I checked our president was chosen by a KGB officer and all signs point to it happening again very soon so I'm assuming we lost that war.

lol