Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
only multiple breakdowns eh? clearly able to work most of the time: capable of work

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1159487161655332864?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Dunno about trepanation but I think I've had enough of this thread. Just feel like I need it like a hole in the head.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Dunno about trepanation but I think I've had enough of this thread. Just feel like I need it like a hole in the head.

Stop... following it then?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don’t get it, the comments seem to suggest this woman beats her dog?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the closest thing to this is The Wire but even then some of the po-lice are occasionally portrayed as trying to do the right thing even if not a one of them are actually good people
Yeah, The Wire and The Shield seems about as far as anyone has pushed that stuff, though they never go all the way.

OwlFancier posted:

Where does the BBC think vikings come from?

Or saxons for that matter?

Like is germany not western until bismark happened?

big scary monsters posted:

Germany is Central Europe. Since Britain is both in Northern Europe and clearly barbaric, Western Europe is exclusively Ireland, Mann, and possibly the Scilly Isles (although that might already be veering into Southern Europe). Iceland is part of North America.
Here's some learnings about Europe for you Brits:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a projection and a half.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hauling a printer all the way across the Atlantic to impress America only for them to slam the door in your face and shack up with Russia instead

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Comrades, I need some advice here.

My absolute bestest buddy was the victim of a transphobic attack in Dalston yesterday (someone hit her in the head with a thrown bottle and then drove off yelling transphobic abuse at her while she was just walking down the street). Which is obviously loving horrible in and of itself, but given the nature of the incident there’s not much follow-up that can be done (no licence plate number, no description of the guy or anything- I believe she has reported the incident to the cops so it can be logged in their stats at least).

The real cherry on this poo poo sundae came today. My friend has a lot of mental health and emotional baggage and (largely due to my urging) had finally started a course of therapy with the NHS. After several difficult and painful false starts she managed to get into regular counselling with a therapist. Who today began the session by accusing her of making the attack up. As you can imagine, this utterly destroyed her- she’s currently having something of a breakdown and given her precious horrible experiences of the mental health system I wouldn’t be surprised if it stops her even trying to engage and get the help she needs and deserves in the future.

This friend of mine has stood by me through all the poo poo i’ve been through in the past 16 years and we very much have been each other’s rock for most of that time- I am therefore absolutely furious (it’s a cliche, but ‘shaking with rage’ is an accurate description). I have the name, and social media details of the therapist involved as well as the NHS organisation that employs her, and part of me wants to very loudly and publicly express my disgust at my friend’s treatment (in addition a lot of our mutual friends would doubtless do the same- we move in pretty woke/decent circles). She however doesn’t know what she wants to do- and I’m also very wary about making this about me and my anger rather than her hurt. On the one hand I have the privilege of being a straight, cis male with the ability to defend people I care about and the knowledge of how to use said privilege.. on the other I don’t want to do anything that will make her life even harder.

I’m torn, I’m furious and I could really use some guidance.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

only multiple breakdowns eh? clearly able to work most of the time: capable of work

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1159487161655332864?s=20

Thanks to you I saw this and now you all have to see it too

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1148023454685380608

That whole twitter feed is horrible

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Here's some learnings about Europe for you Brits:

I'm not taking lessons on European geography from a Dane, a people who consider Greenland to be part of Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I would defer to her on it, though I would absolutely make it clear to her that you're extremely pissed off about her being treated like that.

It is, though, ultimately her choice what she wants to do about it, and I think it's probably better to just have her back whatever she decides rather than acting unilaterally. You've got good impulses I think both in the desire to do something about it but also understanding that it's not quite your decision to make.

Stick with her, is all I can suggest. That's the important thing. You can always make life extremely unpleasant for the therapist if she decides she wants to do that later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Camrath posted:

My absolute bestest buddy was the victim of a transphobic attack in Dalston yesterday (someone hit her in the head with a thrown bottle and then drove off yelling transphobic abuse at her while she was just walking down the street). Which is obviously loving horrible in and of itself, but given the nature of the incident there’s not much follow-up that can be done (no licence plate number, no description of the guy or anything- I believe she has reported the incident to the cops so it can be logged in their stats at least).

The real cherry on this poo poo sundae came today. My friend has a lot of mental health and emotional baggage and (largely due to my urging) had finally started a course of therapy with the NHS. After several difficult and painful false starts she managed to get into regular counselling with a therapist. Who today began the session by accusing her of making the attack up. As you can imagine, this utterly destroyed her- she’s currently having something of a breakdown and given her precious horrible experiences of the mental health system I wouldn’t be surprised if it stops her even trying to engage and get the help she needs and deserves in the future.

This friend of mine has stood by me through all the poo poo i’ve been through in the past 16 years and we very much have been each other’s rock for most of that time- I am therefore absolutely furious (it’s a cliche, but ‘shaking with rage’ is an accurate description). I have the name, and social media details of the therapist involved as well as the NHS organisation that employs her, and part of me wants to very loudly and publicly express my disgust at my friend’s treatment (in addition a lot of our mutual friends would doubtless do the same- we move in pretty woke/decent circles). She however doesn’t know what she wants to do- and I’m also very wary about making this about me and my anger rather than her hurt. On the one hand I have the privilege of being a straight, cis male with the ability to defend people I care about and the knowledge of how to use said privilege.. on the other I don’t want to do anything that will make her life even harder.

That's loving awful :smith:

I assume this is her local IAPT service. If she calls up and explains what happened to the service duty worker they should swap her over to a different therapist (context: I work with IAPT and if it's only been one session this would always be fine). If I were her I would raise it as an official complaint as well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the closest thing to this is The Wire but even then some of the po-lice are occasionally portrayed as trying to do the right thing even if not a one of them are actually good people

Is it a hot take to say that some police do try to do the right thing on occasion? Because ACAB doesn't mean literally every copper is scum, I always took it as more of a generalisation about the institution. In that respect The Wire is very right because the takeaway is that a handful of decent people trying to do the right thing makes gently caress all difference when the institution is as utterly hosed as policing is. That's why The Wire was good, because it pointed out that every institution in modern Baltimore is hosed because of politics and special interests and corruption. Individually there's well intentioned people in the police but there's also far more lazy grifters, morons, yes-men, thugs and politicians. It's not Breaking Bad in making the bad people cool, but it does do a terrific job of pointing out that the gangsters and dealers are people and some of them are good people in a poo poo place and some of them are absolutely as scummy as Commissioner Burrell.

Obviously it doesn't have any real answers to this, and none of its observations ever make it past liberalism but as far as a liberal criticism of the current world it was pretty good even if most stuff influenced by it since has the subtlety of a brick to the testicles.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Thanks to you I saw this and now you all have to see it too

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1148023454685380608

That whole twitter feed is horrible

The entire app is horrible. TikTok is Vine for people without any ideas.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Camrath posted:

If she's gone to the police and got a log number, thats good. She should ask her local police if they can put her in contact with whoever deals with Hate Crimes.

You can start a complaint on her behalf against the NHS therapist, that is disgusting behaviour. Just because she is a voluntary patient does not mean she has fewer rights, get arsey as you need to be to get her switched to another therapist immediately. Rarity answered this better, but do whatever you can to get another therapist ASAP under the circumstances.

DO NOT NAME AND SHAME PUBLICLY, s that will likely hinder any real investigations and you're putting yourself and your friend in the face of a lot more hate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

Who today began the session by accusing her of making the attack up.
What the gently caress kind of clownshoes therapist is this?

This is one of the many reasons I have an inherent distrust of institutionalized mental health, and my first impulse would be to out them too. Or at least out the practice without directly naming them.

But I agree with OwlFancier on this, my first impulse shouldn't necessarily be trusted and you should defer to your friend without expectation that what they want will mesh with what you want to do.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Rarity posted:

That's loving awful :smith:

I assume this is her local IAPT service. If she calls up and explains what happened to the service duty worker they should swap her over to a different therapist (context: I work with IAPT and if it's only been one session this would always be fine). If I were her I would raise it as an official complaint as well.

Thanks. It’s the Greenwich ‘Time To Talk’ service (Which is as much identification as i’m comfortable giving here), so not sure if that’s the same thing? I believe she’s been seeing this therapist for several months now, after issues with several other ones (being struck off their list without notification or explanation).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That is loving awful and at the bare minimum she should file a formal complaint about the therapist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Making it public may well be a necessary part of actually getting anything done about it but it's got to be up to her whether she's willing to deal with the grief that will cause.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ratjaculation posted:

If she's gone to the police and got a log number, thats good. She should ask her local police if they can put her in contact with whoever deals with Hate Crimes.

You can start a complaint on her behalf against the NHS therapist, that is disgusting behaviour. Just because she is a voluntary patient does not mean she has fewer rights, get arsey as you need to be to get her switched to another therapist immediately. Rarity answered this better, but do whatever you can to get another therapist ASAP under the circumstances.

DO NOT NAME AND SHAME PUBLICLY, s that will likely hinder any real investigations and you're putting yourself and your friend in the face of a lot more hate.

Thank you. I will admit my first instinct was to release the Twitter hounds so to speak. But you’re right and I’m glad I didn’t.

It just makes me loving sick to my stomach. She’s had horrible interactions with the mental health system dating back more than thirty years and I finally managed to talk her into getting therapy.. and now this. I can’t help but feel a sense of outraged guilt more than anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That mental health is a big bag of shite isn't your fault nor is it mutually exclusive with it being necessary for some of us. The complaint is that we have to make do with that shite instead of having something good to go on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I don’t get it, the comments seem to suggest this woman beats her dog?

She does, she came to light recently because she literally throws her cat out of the way on camera, and now everyone is digging through her videos where she very clearly hates her pets and abuses them constantly, so now everyone is losing their poo poo.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Number 10 cancelled all holidays for staff until October 31.

If you're the Graun, the hot take is ELECTION TOMORROW?!?!?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

That's a projection and a half.
It's equal area, the least racist projection.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm not taking lessons on European geography from a Dane, a people who consider Greenland to be part of Europe.
Greenland is not included in Europe on that map. :colbert: Besides, why consider Greenland part of Europe when it not being so makes us an multi-continental empire?

thespaceinvader posted:

That is loving awful and at the bare minimum she should file a formal complaint about the therapist.
Yeah. Like, outside someone who is a habitual liar or something, where I suppose it might make sense to call out lies to actually progress, why would you ever start throwing out those accusations as a therapist? I have to basically assume the therapist is a transphobe, and has decided everything to do with being "trans" is actually a lie - the identity, and everything that happens to you because of (society's attitude to) your identity.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1159756152521023488

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Camrath posted:

Thanks. It’s the Greenwich ‘Time To Talk’ service (Which is as much identification as i’m comfortable giving here), so not sure if that’s the same thing? I believe she’s been seeing this therapist for several months now, after issues with several other ones (being struck off their list without notification or explanation).

Hmm, Time To Talk is her IAPT service but if she's been seeing them for a while it might not be so easy. I assume that this is a limited set of sessions like we offer here? If that is the case then the best bet would probably be to raise the complaint and then request a review based on the failure of the therapist. She may also want to call Stonewall on 0800 0502020 for advice on reporting hate crimes and making complaints about how they are handled. There's also Galop which deals with LGBTQ+ hate crimes in London specifically (020 7704 2040)

As for being struck off the list, chances are they tried to contact her via a method that was no longer accurate. We get it fairly regularly that people don't update phone numbers or addresses or something so they miss out on the messages saying they need to get in touch.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Rarity posted:

Hmm, Time To Talk is her IAPT service but if she's been seeing them for a while it might not be so easy. I assume that this is a limited set of sessions like we offer here? If that is the case then the best bet would probably be to raise the complaint and then request a review based on the failure of the therapist. She may also want to call Stonewall on 0800 0502020 for advice on reporting hate crimes and making complaints about how they are handled. There's also Galop which deals with LGBTQ+ hate crimes in London specifically (020 7704 2040)

As for being struck off the list, chances are they tried to contact her via a method that was no longer accurate. We get it fairly regularly that people don't update phone numbers or addresses or something so they miss out on the messages saying they need to get in touch.

Thank you again- I’ve forwarded this all across to her.

The striking off was weird- she turned up for an appointment and was told, in spite of having not moved or changed anything and having no contact. Whether this was down to a cockup or the therapist acting unilaterally was never made clear, but she did eventually get assigned someone new (the person who’s now caused this bullshit).

Edit: her response was ‘Advice from a pony lol? She sounds fab’. She’s calling Stonewall as I type this. Thanks again. :)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 9, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chuck a bottle at the therapist and ask her if she isn't just making it up for attention.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1159733414360170497?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Aphex- posted:

I was given a 500 million Zimbabwe dollar note when I was in Mozambique and I will guard it with my life for when no deal happens.

That might actually be worth something now.

I bought 5x 100Tn dollar notes from ebay back during the crash - they were ~£2 each. I was going to give them out to family as jokey christmas presents but forgot, so I still have them. Found out recently they're now worth about £50 each. Result!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Camrath posted:

The striking off was weird- she turned up for an appointment and was told, in spite of having not moved or changed anything and having no contact. Whether this was down to a cockup or the therapist acting unilaterally was never made clear, but she did eventually get assigned someone new (the person who’s now caused this bullshit).

Yeah it could be a cockup as well. If their IAPT system is anything like ours there's loads of gaps that people can slip through, especially not helped if people are actively being transphobic.

Camrath posted:

Edit: her response was ‘Advice from a pony lol? She sounds fab’. She’s calling Stonewall as I type this. Thanks again. :)

Your friend sounds fab too :hfive: Trans solidarity :respek:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

What the gently caress kind of clownshoes therapist is this?

NHS mental health services are some bullshit. I'd like to say 'they're doing their best' but I don't know if I believe that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

WhatEvil posted:

I bought 5x 100Tn dollar notes from ebay back during the crash - they were ~£2 each. I was going to give them out to family as jokey christmas presents but forgot, so I still have them. Found out recently they're now worth about £50 each. Result!

Capitalist dog!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

WhatEvil posted:

Haha wow, who would have thought investing in that would pay off!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Capitalist dog!

Hey man, at the time I was giving money to an impoverished nation for something essentially worthless.

Not my fault if I've accidentally made money from it.

[/capitalistsay]

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

WhatEvil posted:

Hey man, at the time I was giving money to an impoverished nation for something essentially worthless.

[/capitalistsay]

I worked HARD to get where I was today

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Rarity posted:

Yeah it could be a cockup as well. If their IAPT system is anything like ours there's loads of gaps that people can slip through, especially not helped if people are actively being transphobic.

Your friend sounds fab too :hfive: Trans solidarity :respek:

She is pretty awesome. Retrained as a lawyer in her thirties, started a punk band with me and played all over the country and America in her forties, now manages a really sweet brewery. Part of me wants to buy her an account here tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Camrath posted:

She is pretty awesome. Retrained as a lawyer in her thirties, started a punk band with me and played all over the country and America in her forties, now manages a really sweet brewery. Part of me wants to buy her an account here tbh

You should

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Camrath posted:

Part of me wants to buy her an account here tbh

We do need more soldiers for the Troon takeover tbf :thunkher:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

That sucks to hear Camrath, I hope she gets the help she needs soon and from someone that’s not a complete oval office.

Mental health services are abysmal. My partner got a referral to the NHS level service from her council run one after years of difficulties, when she was assessed, it was by a social worker who decided that the appropriate thing to do was tell her it was just low mood, but she’d pass on the assessment to a psych team and they would decide if she would get treatment.

A loving social worker giving a mental health diagnosis after an hour.

Worst part? She got refused treatment and told to go back to the council service, who had given her allotment of 6 appointments and punted her out already.

We’re currently doing a subject access request so we can see what notes were taken on the day, and if there is a modicum of opinion from the social worker we’re taking it to a complaint and getting it reopened. She could really do without this just to get loving treatment but we’ve no other choice aside from paying an exorbitant amount every week for treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

NHS mental health services are some bullshit. I'd like to say 'they're doing their best' but I don't know if I believe that.
Like, I'm legit confused, I can't even see this tangentially connecting with people trying their best.

All of modern counseling: "It's important that people feel that their perceptions of events are valid, even if their reactions or the way they process them are unhealthy."
Galactic brain therapist: "Ah but have you considered that you're just making things up?"

It's completely :psyduck:

Camrath posted:

Part of me wants to buy her an account here tbh
:toot:

WhatEvil posted:

[/capitalistsay]
lmao that zimdollars proved to be a better investment than bitcoin.