Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not entirely convinced that therapists aren't just pulled in off the street tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like having a mechanic explain to you that brake fluid is a scam. Or a priest who goes into a segue about how actually Lucifer is in the right and we should all praise gay satan, except terrible in general rather than just terrible at their job and otherwise :krad:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Counselling and therapy can help if someone does need a space to explore their self or to challenge mental phenomena like attitudes they have or behaviours they want to change. It's definitely not something to scoff at.

But psychology is as good at addressing sociological problems as biology would be at addressing psychological problems: not completely useless, but definitely not the answer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'm sure that in theory you could train someone to be like a qualified therapist where they are good at fixing your brainmeats or whatever I just don't think I've ever met one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

NHS mental health services are some bullshit. I'd like to say 'they're doing their best' but I don't know if I believe that.

I think most people involved are trying their best but the ultimate problem is that services are hugely oversubscribed and underfunded. 6 month waits for a referral to a psychiatrist just for an evaluation and in the meantime a fob off with CBT, guided if you're lucky but probably just "here's some homework, knock yourself out". And the increase in uptake in mental health problems isn't just that we're better at talking about how are brains are hosed up than we were 2 decades ago, a lot of it is directly related to the society we live in. Late capitalism is filled with people under enormous stress from things like insecure employment, extortionate rent or having to live with your folks into your 30s, massive economic inequality, the jobs we do have are often utterly pointless busy work that exists to make number go up, the impending climate disaster. And who the gently caress is going to save us from late capitalism?

Yes, the NHS mental health services need a big increase in funding. Probably the entire nature of the NHS needs shaken up to better cope with the mental health epidemic. But as usually is the case in medicine, preventative medicine is more effective than curative; stop being getting ill and that's going to need revolutionary changes to how society and the economy operates. How we treat the unemployed and the poor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Counselling and therapy can help if someone does need a space to explore their self or to challenge mental phenomena like attitudes they have or behaviours they want to change. It's definitely not something to scoff at.

But psychology is as good at addressing sociological problems as biology would be at addressing psychological problems: not completely useless, but definitely not the answer.
It's very hard to encourage people to change the way they react to or process things if you're going to accuse them of making those things up though.

Vaguely related to socio-medical phenomena:

*laughs in 14th century rattus rattus*

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

It's very hard to encourage people to change the way they react to or process things if you're going to accuse them of making those things up though.

Genuinely surprised north America isn't at the bottom...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

Is it a hot take to say that some police do try to do the right thing on occasion? Because ACAB doesn't mean literally every copper is scum, I always took it as more of a generalisation about the institution. In that respect The Wire is very right because the takeaway is that a handful of decent people trying to do the right thing makes gently caress all difference when the institution is as utterly hosed as policing is. That's why The Wire was good, because it pointed out that every institution in modern Baltimore is hosed because of politics and special interests and corruption. Individually there's well intentioned people in the police but there's also far more lazy grifters, morons, yes-men, thugs and politicians. It's not Breaking Bad in making the bad people cool, but it does do a terrific job of pointing out that the gangsters and dealers are people and some of them are good people in a poo poo place and some of them are absolutely as scummy as Commissioner Burrell.

Obviously it doesn't have any real answers to this, and none of its observations ever make it past liberalism but as far as a liberal criticism of the current world it was pretty good even if most stuff influenced by it since has the subtlety of a brick to the testicles.

Oh yeah, for sure, I was being a bit facetious, The Wire makes it very clear who and what is to blame, and to its credit even the main cast occasionally get in on blatant police brutality. As you say though it doesn't really point to any conclusions and I guess I'm just leery of police protagonist poo poo in general nowadays (he says as he compulsively rewatches it).

Like Boots Riley's criticism of BlackkKlansman

Edit - oh and what happened to your friend is loving terrible, Camrath, and whatever happens I hope that therapist gets nailed. Defo get your friend an account though

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 9, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that therapists aren't just pulled in off the street tbh.
They just invite in the first hundred people asking for therapy, then whoever seems like they're the most put together that day/shows up first gets made a therapist for the rest.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

Shockingly, the places where diseases that vaccines prevent are still rampant are at the top of the list.

An in Europe we are priming ourselves for measles outbreaks that will kill babies that are too young to receive vaccinations until some governing body has the balls to step in and class it as criminal neglect.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

is there a reason why eastern europe is at the bottom?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

I think most people involved are trying their best but the ultimate problem is that services are hugely oversubscribed and underfunded. 6 month waits for a referral to a psychiatrist just for an evaluation and in the meantime a fob off with CBT, guided if you're lucky but probably just "here's some homework, knock yourself out". And the increase in uptake in mental health problems isn't just that we're better at talking about how are brains are hosed up than we were 2 decades ago, a lot of it is directly related to the society we live in. Late capitalism is filled with people under enormous stress from things like insecure employment, extortionate rent or having to live with your folks into your 30s, massive economic inequality, the jobs we do have are often utterly pointless busy work that exists to make number go up, the impending climate disaster. And who the gently caress is going to save us from late capitalism?

Yes, mental health is political as well as personal. Depression and anxiety are healthy mental responses to the pressures of being in poverty in a late capitalist society because it shows self-protection and self-actualization. This is the main issue with the NHS mental health service for me, even more than the lack of funding. The support they give can help you with personal and relational issues but they cannot and will not challenge the societal factors that are impacting on your mental health. This is where we as agitators need to step in by making sure people are having these conversations and that they're being heard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Obviously it doesn't have any real answers to this, and none of its observations ever make it past liberalism but as far as a liberal criticism of the current world it was pretty good even if most stuff influenced by it since has the subtlety of a brick to the testicles.
David Simon gets a lot more shouty about systemic issues in his written work than you'd get away with on television, but still stops short of radical solutions. I like his rant at middle class white America from the end of The Corner.

quote:

That's the myth of it, the required lie that allows us to render our judgments. Parasites, criminals, dope fiends, dope peddlers, whores--when we can ride past them at Fayette and Monroe, car doors locked, our field of vision cautiously restricted to the road ahead, then the long journey into darkness is underway. Pale-skinned hillbillies and hard-faced yos, toothless white trash and gold-front gangsters--when we can glide on and feel only fear, we're well on the way. And if, after a time, we can glimpse the spectacle of the corner and manage nothing beyond loathing and contempt, then we've arrived at last at that naked place where a man finally sees the sense in stretching razor wire and building barracks and directing cattle cars into the compound.

It's a reckoning of another kind, perhaps, and one that becomes a possibility only through the arrogance and certainty that so easily accompanies a well-planned and well-tended life. We know ourselves, we believe in ourselves; from what we value most, we grant ourselves the illusion that it's not chance in circumstance, that opportunity itself isn't the defining issue. We want the high ground; we want our own worth to be acknowledged. Morality, intelligence, values--we want those things measured and counted. We want it to be about Us.

Yes, if we were down there, if we were the damned of the American cities, we would not fail. We would rise above the corner. And when we tell ourselves such things, we unthinkably assume that we would be consigned to places like Fayette Street fully equipped, with all the graces and disciplines, talents and training that we now posses. Our parents would still be our parents, our teachers still our teachers, our broker still our broker. Amid the stench of so much defeat and despair, we would kick fate in the teeth and claim our deserved victory. We would escape to live the life we were supposed to live, the life we are living now. We would be saved, and as it always is in matters of salvation, we know this as a matter of perfect, pristine faith.

mediadave posted:

is there a reason why eastern europe is at the bottom?
Probably a distrust of science, mainstream media, and public institutions combined with

CyberPingu posted:

the places where diseases that vaccines prevent are still rampant are at the top of the list.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So a massive thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support to my friend (who just found an SA account gift cert in her mail and will hopefully be here soon herself..). I’ve literally been moved to tears by the decency and solidarity you’ve all shown.

It always strikes me as weird that the same place responsible for unleashing 4chan on the world has such a holdout of decent people, but I’d not change it for the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

So a massive thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support to my friend (who just found an SA account gift cert in her mail and will hopefully be here soon herself..). I’ve literally been moved to tears by the decency and solidarity you’ve all shown.

It always strikes me as weird that the same place responsible for unleashing 4chan on the world has such a holdout of decent people, but I’d not change it for the world.

Wasn't 4chan "unleashed" because SA kicked out the worst of the shitheads?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also apparently the forum was once infested with libertarians or something. Sounds dreadful tbh.

It's really strange to me when people at the bottom of society get labeled as parasites because, like, the word is infinitely more fitting for the people at the top? What do they put you in mind of if not some kind of tick that stuffs itself many times over full of the blood of others while dispensing nothing but disease?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Camrath posted:

4chan are the people kicked out of here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
4chan was set up because lowtax wouldn't let people post overt racial slurs, 8chan was set up because moot wouldn't let people post child abuse images. The internet is a series of barrel bottoms.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Camrath posted:

She's most welcome, just warn her to stay out of GBS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Junior G-man posted:

She's most welcome, just warn her to stay out of GBS.

And FYAD, and YOSPOS, and TCC, and TFR...

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

And FYAD, and YOSPOS, and TCC, and TFR...

Hey now, TCC and TFR are ok..

In fact we went shooting with a guy from TFR on the last America trip we did together. Got to play with his fully automatic uzi, which was frankly sweet af

Edit: have a Maine coon kitten for being nice people.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JrQVeGV

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Camrath posted:

She is pretty awesome. Retrained as a lawyer in her thirties, started a punk band with me and played all over the country and America in her forties, now manages a really sweet brewery. Part of me wants to buy her an account here tbh

Do it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Camrath posted:

There are some loving good people in this thread, and the support they show is incredible. Do please warn your friend that this thread is largely an aberration

Rarity posted:

Yes, mental health is political as well as personal. Depression and anxiety are healthy mental responses to the pressures of being in poverty in a late capitalist society because it shows self-protection and self-actualization. This is the main issue with the NHS mental health service for me, even more than the lack of funding. The support they give can help you with personal and relational issues but they cannot and will not challenge the societal factors that are impacting on your mental health. This is where we as agitators need to step in by making sure people are having these conversations and that they're being heard.

This is the wall I've hit with my therapy (also IAPT). We're most of the way through the CBT stuff, and my therapist brought in the graph of my sadbrains and scaredbrains scores and they've stayed basically the same for 10 weeks. I tried to explain that I feel quite well equipped to deal with personal problems, but I've also got the glasses from They Live glued to my face and I'd like help with that please.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 9, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Wasn't 4chan "unleashed" because SA kicked out the worst of the shitheads?

Guavanaut posted:

4chan was set up because lowtax wouldn't let people post overt racial slurs, 8chan was set up because moot wouldn't let people post child abuse images. The internet is a series of barrel bottoms.

It was for anime but otherwise you are correct.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tarnop posted:

There are some loving good people in this thread, and the support they show is incredible. Do please warn your friend that this thread is largely an aberration

Yeah I've made sure that's clear.

Though I'll say the forums are a hell of a lot nicer than five or ten or fifteen years ago, that might be a function of not going past the bookmarked threads in my control panel for years..

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My GF is a psychologist and of course I'm biased but I think she's pretty good, but you should hear the horror stories of some therapists she tells me. They bring all their loving bias to therapy, which is a big no no, but almost everyone does it.

She had a therapist once where after a few sessions the counseling was reversed, my GF was actually helping the therapist cope with poo poo

It's insane, but it's like every other job, there are good and bad practitioners and you should keep looking as much as you can until you find what suits you

Transphobic shits should be fired though that's obvious. Also, even if the therapist doubted the story theres absolutely no way that they could say so, everything the patient says is true until they say it's a lie. If they're saying a lie in that safe of an environment, there's a pretty deep reason to do so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Games is generally fairly chill but I do, admittedly, only read threads for games I play, which are generally good games.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Camrath posted:

Please pass her this pamphlet on the benefits of Rowdy Ringsports

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rarity posted:

Please pass her this pamphlet on the benefits of Rowdy Ringsports

gently caress yeah, wrestling makes me genuinely happy, and that forum is alright!

Sorry to keep bringing up my drat therapy, but she doesn't half look at me like I'm a simpleton when I tell her what I've been doing with my time. Turns out wrasslin', D&D and board games don't give off that air of sophistication I'd hoped to acquire by the time I turned 40

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The woman in my office who calls her son a little poof, or gayboy, or human being (to his face) today was letting everyone know that gay men are more likely to be pedos aren’t they, she’s not being horrible, it’s just a thing, everyone knows it. Last time I called someone out I got told off and when I said “I’m not listening to that poo poo” got told it’s not my place to correct people, we have a complaints process. Soooo.... made the formal complaint, and then got up and left. My “not going to listen to that poo poo” was never formally addressed so I’m treating it as my current position on the matter. I’m cross, but I’m also home by three and drinking a beer in the garden. Not sure how I feel about all this, or how it’ll play out next week.

Cam, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she joins us here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

David Simon gets a lot more shouty about systemic issues in his written work than you'd get away with on television, but still stops short of radical solutions. I like his rant at middle class white America from the end of The Corner.

Which makes it all the more disappointing that he's been very 'we need sensible Democratic Party Politics back' and (iirc) critical of Sanders. It's like, goddamn, you made a series where the end boss is obviously capitalism seemingly without realising it

Also, :hfive: Camrath and soon-to-be goon

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk: Rowdy Ringsports and Games are both secret hotbeds of left-wing theory and I love them for it :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Did anyone watch this?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Camrath posted:

Though I'll say the forums are a hell of a lot nicer than five or ten or fifteen years ago, that might be a function of not going past the bookmarked threads in my control panel for years..

Bit late to the the party, but hope your friend is ok.

I think a lot of it is that the user base of SA has gotten older and more mellow; far less edgy teens with terrible opinions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Camrath posted:

I think most of the specialist threads have always been fine, or if there is beef it's a dumb slap fight about which camera lens or cpu or whatever is best. It's mostly just GBS and FYAD that have been cesspits. And even then both have produced some pretty great stuff...

I am glad the 'poison womb' days are gone though

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Camrath posted:

Yeah, you're right, they are better in general. I've always assumed it was down to a general desire to not be the hellhole that is Reddit

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Wait wait wait have we checked what’s this woman’s crisp opinions are before we invite her to our sacred space

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

^ if you can find a very smart financial institution, sure! How's your rolodex looking?

Yeah it's leveraging to hell - the winners win big, the losers lose big, to the point where they can't actually pay up and the winners have these toxic assets that won't pay out... unless... what if governments bail these institutions out, so they can afford to pay up!

AIG was the insurer selling a lot of the credit swaps, taking the other side of those bets. Guess what happened to them

Plus the CDOs they were betting on were already a joke - the tranches are about risk/reward, as debtors default the lower rated tranches lose money first until they're wiped out (they get a higher rate for taking that risk). The upper tranches are safe until the defaults creep up and wipe out the lower ones, so those are sold as A rated safe investments. So of course what they did is take a load of those Z-rated risky tranches and package them up in a new stack, and rate the top ones as A+ safe, even though they're all the first ones to get wiped out in the derivatives they're coming from they're all bad this is gonna fall over immediately good thing the underlying debt isn't all based on a single overheated market where people have been mass-sold debt they can't afford and they're all gonna default at the same time waaaait a minute

This is all about the 2008 crash though, I have no idea what they're up to now, probably keeping their noses clean I'm sure!!

Posting from the world of tomorrow to say this poo poo makes me so mad. World's on fire and motherfucking bankers are pissing about running huge scams to make imaginary numbers get bigger. Why do we allow this?

"Synthetic financial products" is so painfully close to just admitting it's all made up, too. If there were five bankers to my left and one to my right I would push the button labelled MULTI TRACK DRIFTING with zero hesitation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hate the new York times

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

Wait wait wait have we checked what’s this woman’s crisp opinions are before we invite her to our sacred space

She will endure The Trials just as all those who have preceded her. Worry not, comrade Sanford.