Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

2020 4-star SG Keon Johnson committed to Tennessee tonight. #1 player in the state, top 35 in the country.

I love how everyone is like "Top 5 class, yeah!" and it's literally just two kids. I've only just recently started paying attention to basketball recruiting and I'm so used to Football classes being like 20 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love how everyone is like "Top 5 class, yeah!" and it's literally just two kids. I've only just recently started paying attention to basketball recruiting and I'm so used to Football classes being like 20 kids.

Early signing period for basketball is in November and the big commits really don't start announcing until October, right up on the start of the college basketball season.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s still pretty huge. Anytime you can reel in the #1 kid in your state I think it’s a big deal. We’re still on the running for a few more big fish, so this class could be special.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech is playing basketball in the Bahamas today.

e: Tech lost by 6

https://twitter.com/TexasTechMBB/status/1161778134385082370

4 of 25 from 3 point range including 0/7 from Kyler Edwards, who was 8/12 from 3 point range during the tournament in March. There was a decided lack of offense today.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 15, 2019

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Georgetown beat the same bahamas team by 30+

Tonight, tech won vs the Serbian all-star team 94-92... Which is.. different.

5* freshman Jahmi'us Ramsey went for 44 points and 10+ rebounds...

I get the sense that the Serbian team doesn't really play defense, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kansas' strength and conditioning coach is possibly the best in the business. Or was.

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/1162196791930040320?s=21

quote:

News of Hudy’s departure comes a few months after KU’s athletic department restructured its health care plan for student-athletes by shifting to a new model that led to Hudy and roughly 40 other employees working for the newly formed Kansas Team Health, a joint venture that includes the KU athletic department, The University of Kansas Health System and LMH Health in Lawrence.

All of the former KU employees impacted by the change began reporting to medical professionals at KU Health System instead of athletic department officials.

Former longtime KU football trainer, Murphy Grant, another accomplished professional in the industry, recently left KU for a similar job at Wake Forest.

Who is surprised that a Kansas public organization hosed around with health care and caused their employees to move out of the state?

Imagine having a health care situation so bad that moving to Texas would be superior.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I’d think Austin is better than anything Kansas has to offer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Austin is one of the best towns in the country but that's not why she's leaving. It's absolutely the health situation. New organization means that the S/C coach has to answer to a medical group instead of coaches.

And while Austin > Lawrence in just about every conceivable way, the basketball program at Texas is absolutely inferior.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So I'm unclear on that story. Is the issue that her healthcare plan got hosed with or that she doesn't want to report to doctors?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

So I'm unclear on that story. Is the issue that her healthcare plan got hosed with or that she doesn't want to report to doctors?

I think it’s the latter, instead of athletic medicine being its own autonomous department within the KU athletic department, now it’s folded into a whole ‘nother layer of bullshit

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mike_V posted:

I think it's that she doesn't want to report to the doctors.

I mean, S&C being part of the health org doesn't really make sense. Putting the nutritionists and whatnot under would, but S&C is like an extra coach, and would have to report to the existing coach anyway...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kayakyakr posted:

I think it's that she doesn't want to report to the doctors.

I mean, S&C being part of the health org doesn't really make sense. Putting the nutritionists and whatnot under would, but S&C is like an extra coach, and would have to report to the existing coach anyway...

The problem is this: it's becoming increasingly a concern that athletes or training staff are pushing "back on the field" as opposed to "proper recovery".

We saw this with the NBA the last couple of years: Kawhi Leonard demanded a trade off the Spurs because of this. Kevin Durant likely tore his Achilles because of this. Klay Thompson? Went back in on a torn ACL (but came out after he took his free throws). There's NHL players that play through ligament tears in the playoffs ~because it's the cup~. See also: the Mets. Now whether or not that's on the player or the staff generally comes down to individual cases, but involving doctors in the strength and conditioning I feel can help curb this practice. In the NCAA, it's probably worse than the pros by virtue of limited eligibility on the athlete's parts though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I guess I don't really understand what the big deal is if you're working in what is essentially a sports medicine position and needing to consult with...doctors. Seems like a good way to keep these unpaid athletes healthier and less exploited by coaches (not as bad in basketball as football).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it only makes sense if instead of doctors it’s actually a review board that has to approve every financial and health decision that you’re making in every instance, which, if you’re a fairly autonomous s&c coach is probably extremely irritating

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT hosting top 40 PF Henry Coleman this weekend. Had his OV to Duke last weekend, entire VT staff was in last night to see him in-home. Won't be taking more than one more OV after this one. Smart money's on Duke, but desperately hoping we can snag him away, especially since he's in-state and his dad was a football star playing for Frank Beamer. If we managed to, our 3-player class would briefly be #1 in the country, which is just confusing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee will have a 2020 class of two 5-stars and a 4-star if Jaden Springer chooses the Vols over Michigan and Memphis. Tennessee is trending for him and will likely pick him up. That’s an insane haul for UT basketball.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would like to formally welcome the Tennessee Volunteer fans into the “Oh poo poo football sucks when does basketball start?” club

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

kiimo posted:

I would like to formally welcome the Tennessee Volunteer fans into the “Oh poo poo football sucks when does basketball start?” club

Sadly enough, VT too this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

what's the success disparity need to be for this to be a thing?

cause Texas Tech hasn't lost to a lovely program yet, but I'm still sorta in that state for baseball/basketball.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a Kansas fan so I literally have no idea what the line is because I'm so far underwater week 1 I can't even tell which way the surface is

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Hey, now, we won week 1!

But yeah, basketball can start anytime now, annnnnytime.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The UVA championship ring is hideous https://twitter.com/stl_uva/status/1172677062550667264?s=21

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's hideous because it's not a Purdue ring :negative:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Cassius Winston is going to be the Ncaa tournament MVP

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235306247.html

quote:

The NCAA is preparing to issue a notice of allegations that details multiple major violations in the Kansas men’s basketball program, The Star has learned.

The notice will come, sources told The Star, after a summer of speculation following a top NCAA official saying the organization would make findings against schools involved in a pay-for-play recruiting scheme investigated by the FBI.

When asked for comment, Dan Beckler, associate KU athletic director for public relations, told The Star that KU Athletics had not received any notification from the NCAA.

The Star also asked the NCAA for comment.

“Due to member-created rules, we cannot comment on current, pending or potential investigations,” Stacey Osburn, NCAA director of public and media relations, wrote in an email.

On June 12, Stan Wilcox, the NCAA’s vice president of regulatory affairs, said at least six schools would receive a notice of allegations for Level 1 violations this summer.

North Carolina State on July 10 received a notice of allegations that included two Level 1 violations.

Level 1 violations carry some of the most severe punishment, including postseason bans and loss of scholarships.

A NCAA notice of allegations starts a clock toward punishment, a timeline that could take several months to complete, likely past the end of the 2019-20 men’s basketball season.

Universities have 90 days to respond to a notice. The NCAA has granted extensions to schools in the past.

The school response then is sent to an NCAA enforcement committee. That committee has 60 days to file a reply and a “statement of the case.”

Next, a hearing date is scheduled with the NCAA Committee on Infractions. At that hearing, the university is allowed to present its case with an NCAA ruling to follow. The ruling could take several months to reach.

If a school is assessed penalties, it has the opportunity to appeal.

Kansas was among the schools associated with Adidas that were named during the federal investigation that led to the N.C. State notice of allegations.

Former Adidas employee T.J. Gassnola testified in federal court last October that he made payments of $90,000 on behalf of Adidas to the mother of KU basketball player Billy Preston and $2,500 to the guardian of Silvio De Sousa. Gassnola also said he agreed to pay $20,000 to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of De Sousa, to help Falmagne exit an agreement to send De Sousa to Maryland, an Under Armour school.

Gassnola testified that KU coach Bill Self was not aware of the payments.

As a result of that trial, De Sousa was given a two-year NCAA suspension. Kansas appealed the second year of the punishment and the NCAA reinstated De Sousa, who is allowed to play this upcoming season.

Gassnola avoided prison time and was sentenced to probation.

One of KU’s NCAA issues could be Gassnola’s relationship to Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend as revealed in court.

Text messages showed that during the time KU was recruiting De Sousa, KU coaches were aware that Gassnola was in contact with De Sousa’s guardian, Fenny Falmagne.

Gassnola testified that Townsend asked him to contact De Sousa’s guardian. Falmagne told The Star he wanted to see if Adidas would send gear it didn’t need to Angola’s national team.

Third parties and/or boosters are not allowed to provide anything with monetary value to a recruit or the recruit’s family or guardian. It is possible the NCAA deems it inappropriate for Townsend to ask Gassnola to send gear to Angola.

ESPN recently reported that NCAA investigators were also working on cases at Arizona, Auburn, Creighton, Louisville, LSU and USC.

So assuming these schools will have to forfeit a preseason game or something

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Death penalty for KU in my opinion.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope the NCAA comes down on KU like Quantrill did

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kansas is hyper hosed, I just wish we could take Coach K down with us. gently caress Nike.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hed posted:

I hope the NCAA comes down on KU like Quantrill did

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

gently caress ku certainly but gently caress the ncaa more

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Probably Magic posted:

Kansas is hyper hosed, I just wish we could take Coach K down with us. gently caress Nike.

Why hasn’t anything come out on Nike schools? Is this in the works and we’re just waiting on a release?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Kansas gets in trouble for trying to pay Zion and they didn’t get him it will be the most Duke thing that ever Duked

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tbh I would prefer KU did not do cool poo poo like pay players

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Probably Magic posted:

Come on, you know the only way to defeat Coach K is to trick him into saying his name backwards.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
:(

One of Tech's best all-time players (in our admittedly quite mediocre history), Andre Emmett, was shot last night somewhere in Dallas. He was Tech's star player during my time in college, so it makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sYb-YpP1-w

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kayakyakr posted:

:(

One of Tech's best all-time players (in our admittedly quite mediocre history), Andre Emmett, was shot last night somewhere in Dallas. He was Tech's star player during my time in college, so it makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sYb-YpP1-w

what a shame, he was a dynamite college player and was playing really well in the Big 3

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ka...-210015300.html

Lack of institutional control, head coach involved, text messages discussing payments.

Sounds like there may be enough there to show-cause self and postseason ban Kansas for a few years. Won't happen until after this season...

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 23, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh if this is all they have wow.

It’s Preston, who never played and KU took him out when they found out, and De Sousa, who the NCAA cleared. TWICE. If this is all they have zero chance on lack of institutional control.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The NCAA cleared Derrick Rose too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

they had sean miller on the drat phone for christs sake and nothing happened