Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Slavvy posted:

I had a guy ask me to look into this for the exact same reasons about two years ago. Long story short: just rebuild your 350 engine, it's cheaper and easier because the bottom ends don't match IIRC. Unless you're talking LC's in which case, no idea.

I mean sure Im going to rebuild the RD350's DS7 motor, but uh I plan on sending it off to SpecII to get rebuilt. So meh. I did some bullshit measurements and it will barely squeeze in there. Might have to make some mounts. Then again I spoke with the guy that gave me the 400 engine and he has a frame, so I asked him for measurements of the mount points. Either way, it'll be neat to get it in there and dyno it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-1978-cx500/6942488192.html

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I'm thinking about selling my KTM Supermoto and buying a Ducati 848.

Slavvy what does your heart tell you, you are way more versed in exotic bikes.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I have an 1198. It hurts my butt. Try before buy. I don’t like to be on mine for more than 2 hours or basically 1 tank of gas.

Hilariously fun otherwise. Insurance is bullshit tho.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

My ducati mechanic friend said the same about the seat but I figure it won't be much worse than the MV Agusta F4 that I got in Spain.

Will propably give it a try later this year after holidays

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I'm thinking about selling my KTM Supermoto and buying a Ducati 848.

Slavvy what does your heart tell you, you are way more versed in exotic bikes.

I'm really not, I don't know poo poo about them compared to Japanese stuff. I've never ridden an 848 :shrug: but other bikes of that era and yeah that'd be a quantum leap in most ways imo.

You have an LC4 right? Your butt is iron enough.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just went for my CBT lesson in Scotland.

Most people pass on the first day... I did not... Took me a while to get the hang of "not being nervous" I have a 2nd day to look forward to on Wednesday...

Sigh.

Anyway, I aim to go Direct Access to the full license.

Once I have my full license, what bike should I get as a first bike? Some old used POS 125?

What I really want is a Honda, a DCT of some type, as I am not a huge fan of playing with clutches. I keep browsing and looking at Honda NC750S DCT / NC750X DCT... How wrong am I for wanting one of those as a second bike? Or a first bike?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Learn to use a clutch and embrace it. They're a huge part of low-speed bike control.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Do those not have a clutch?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Honda bikes with DCT and some other manufacturer's have a sort of dual clutch semi automatic transmission where you can force it into a gear, or let it pick its own gearing. I think KTM (off the top of my head) has a really well engineered one too.

I mean they allow full control of the traction control system on the bike which is nice (instead of some of the more archaic traction control systems that just chop throttle by limiting spark), and you can do some interesting stuff with them ...namely climbing hills on soft dirt wide open throttle.

But yeah I'd honestly buy a beater and/or learn to use the clutch.

Its a degree of control of riding that will help you no matter what you ride.

Every single person here will tell you the same thing: Do not buy a first bike that you aren't willing to drop or push over. So nothing fancy, expensive, or niche.

Get ole reliable japanese 250 whatever and learn the clutch, learn what your riding limits are, and before you know it, you'll be (depending on what you buy) dragging footpegs.

I honestly still wish I had my Buell Blast 500cc (one half of a sportster 1000 motor, seriously). Those lower power less expensive bikes make parking lots fun when you dont care if you fall over.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys for talking sense into me, I'll get a beater 2nd hand bike 250 or 300 or something, get better at using the clutch, then buy something nicer.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Endbuster posted:

I mean they allow full control of the traction control system on the bike which is nice (instead of some of the more archaic traction control systems that just chop throttle by limiting spark), and you can do some interesting stuff with them ...namely climbing hills on soft dirt wide open throttle.

And there are penalties too - if you're deathgripping the throttle and get thrown backwards, you can't just pull the clutch to get control. Whisky throttle ahoy. If you're stopped on an incline for any reason, a DCT will let the bike roll if you don't apply the brakes or have the parking brake on. Not the best for the aforementioned hill climb in soft dirt if someone stops or wipes out in front of you in a spot where you can't get a foot on the ground.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think you should ride what you want to ride, but don't let being a beginner at using a clutch discourage you. It really takes not that long until it's second nature and you don't even think about it. Every so often I accidentally leave my bike in second and take off from a stop in second, but by the time I'm moving and realize I must be in second, my brain has automatically feathered the clutch a bit longer than usual and I didn't even have to think about it. Also, once you learn how to use a clutch, you can ride any other bike out there.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, appreciate the tips. I shall learn the clutch, and hopefully, eventually, I'll get the hang of it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Steakandchips posted:

I just went for my CBT lesson in Scotland.

Most people pass on the first day... I did not... Took me a while to get the hang of "not being nervous" I have a 2nd day to look forward to on Wednesday...

Sigh.

Anyway, I aim to go Direct Access to the full license.

Once I have my full license, what bike should I get as a first bike? Some old used POS 125?

What I really want is a Honda, a DCT of some type, as I am not a huge fan of playing with clutches. I keep browsing and looking at Honda NC750S DCT / NC750X DCT... How wrong am I for wanting one of those as a second bike? Or a first bike?

Honda DCT are fine for beginners if you really want a big scooter instead of a motorcycle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks guys for talking sense into me, I'll get a beater 2nd hand bike 250 or 300 or something, get better at using the clutch, then buy something nicer.

This is the right path. PS you will fall in love with that 250 beater and pine for it long after you’ve moved on to bigger and better.

It’s the law of motorcycles

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the right path. PS you will fall in love with that 250 beater and pine for it long after you’ve moved on to bigger and better.

It’s the law of motorcycles

I hate that law so much. When I sold my CBR1000F land yacht it was like 24 hours and then instant regret that I could no longer drag a shoulder and do dumb poo poo. I rode that thing like it was an extension of my body.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Endbuster posted:

I hate that law so much. When I sold my CBR1000F land yacht it was like 24 hours and then instant regret that I could no longer drag a shoulder and do dumb poo poo. I rode that thing like it was an extension of my body.

I've regretted selling every bike I own within a month except the V-Strom 1000 I sold to get my current 790 Duke. I missed parts of the V-Strom, like the luggage, soft comfy seat and heated grips but not the bike itself. I still occassionally pine for the 690 SMC and SV650 I had before it though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So after months of looking i found someone selling a 2016 Kymco Like 200i for a $1000 and i'm going to look at it tomorrow.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't really miss my FZ 07 but i do miss my CB-1, even though it was impossible to start and only got like 80 miles to a tank before hitting reserve

prob gonna keep the interceptor forever

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Only bikes I've had that I miss are the FJR (so good for eating highway miles) and the 690SMC. I don't miss the SMC specifically, just miss having a motard for acting like a jackass while still at sane speeds.

The GS500 I had as a first bike was thoroughly forgettable.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bikes I miss:
WR250x for being the bestest supermoto. I still regret not buying it back, even though the engine was not making near the power it was when I sold it.

Bikes I don't miss:
KLR250 for being garbage
690SMC for being twitchy garbage

The SV650 I had as a first bike was pretty great, but I didn't have anything to compare it to. It was about 3x too much bike for me, too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
can't miss a bike if you never sell one

(still havent decided if getting rid of the xcw or drz)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I was sad for weeks already after I sold ye oldè 50cc 2 stroke scooter. It's pretty much decided that my motorcycles will end up as living room decoration should they expell their last engine stroke (or in the case of the KTM - overwhelm me with stupid poo poo to fix)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Where does one find used bikes in Scotland? Autotrader is pretty poor here up North, compared to England.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Steakandchips posted:

Where does one find used bikes in Scotland? Autotrader is pretty poor here up North, compared to England.

just pillage a motorbike from a poor english bloke.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Try ebay. It takes some digging because poo poo never wants to show up in main search results for some reason (probably bikes get beaten out by spare parts/poor SEO), but once you find an actual running bike for sale there's tons of bargains in "related items".

mewse
May 2, 2006

Insanely minty 84 suzuki has been posted locally.. has original katana vibes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A dude on Kijiji who is also selling a weestrom just messaged me asking to trade for or buy my spare seat, so he can sell his bike, which has a taller seat, to a short client.

What's the most polite way to tell him to a. pound sand and b. send his buyer my way?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ignore him. Fix your ad to target Bagel Bros

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Ignore him. Fix your ad to target Bagel Bros

What are those?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone ~4ft tall who is incel enough to lose their poo poo at any opportunity.

I hope this has been helpful

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my boss wants to get a bike. he's like 6'3 and gen x what should i tell him

probably something euro cause he's from there

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Literally anything made by BMW.

Or Ducati.

Or KTM.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is only one thing that can make him feel alive again

THIS

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Literally anything made by BMW.

Or Ducati.

Or KTM.

Pretty much, I was like you want a bike for tall rich people, get a bmw

Edit: he drives that new Alfa suv so an MV might be the right way to go lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 9, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Six foot something and gen X? Gotta be a 998.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

There is only one thing that can make him feel alive again

THIS

Just be prepared to hear “nice Ducati” for the rest of your (its?) life. Hell, MV Agusta might as well take that as a compliment.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Razzled posted:

can't miss a bike if you never sell one

(still havent decided if getting rid of the xcw or drz)

Sell the DRZ to someone else that can learn to crash into a mailbox and buy a warp 9 set for the xcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Pretty much, I was like you want a bike for tall rich people, get a bmw

Edit: he drives that new Alfa suv so an MV might be the right way to go lol

Guzzi.