Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

The thing is with Iran, is that they would absolutely be better for negotiating with Trump and try to get a North Korea out of him. Chances are they'd end up with a more generous deal than the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mediadave posted:

The thing is with Iran, is that they would absolutely be better for negotiating with Trump and try to get a North Korea out of him. Chances are they'd end up with a more generous deal than the current one.

It's possible, but their position is worse than North Korea's for a number of reasons: they don't actually have nukes, the conservative movement in the US has a more visceral hatred of Iran than North Korea (which I think would make it harder for Trump-friendly media to pretend a bad deal is a good deal, particularly if it's clearly worse than Obama's deal), and Trump cares more about what KSA and Israel think than what Japan and South Korea think (and South Korea was in favor of negotiation anyway).

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1158655649879904258

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 6, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Flayer posted:

S-400s in Iran? More likely than you think!

They already have S-300s so it’s not a huge leap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It feels like all of the poo poo is collectively hitting the fan now between Iran, China, Syria, NK, and Venezuela

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It feels like all of the poo poo is collectively hitting the fan now between Iran, China, Syria, NK, and Venezuela
Venezuela sucks, Syria sucks, Iran is dicking around with tankers, China and the US are having a trade spat, and NK is mostly quiet while occasionally making outrageous threats.

That could describe almost any point in the last 20 years.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You do know that there are levels for human misery right

Anyway what's happening to the world is to me the result of absolutely zero American diplomatic influence besides military threats and economic policy, aka tariffs. All the elephants are roaming freely in the china shop now, and you can tell.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
And the person trying to do punitive economic policy doesn't actually understand the first thing about economic policy. Nor about applying military pressure, for that matter

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's the culmination of 3 years of dismantling the state department and american foreign policy writ large into something that is more directionless and counterproductive than ever before, even by the already stunningly low standards of american FP

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

So uh, is there enough room in the Gulf for Iran-Russia drills and US-UK tanker convoys?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RIP Syndrome posted:

So uh, is there enough room in the Gulf for Iran-Russia drills and US-UK tanker convoys?
It depends on what they want to do.

Between the two of them they might be able to get a small-to-moderate sized battlegroup together and cruise around a bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Venezuela sucks, Syria sucks, Iran is dicking around with tankers, China and the US are having a trade spat, and NK is mostly quiet while occasionally making outrageous threats.

That could describe almost any point in the last 20 years.
Except now Turkey is threatening to invade Syria from the north, we just started an embargo on VZ, we completely destroyed relations with Iran, and Trump keeps giving Kim what he wants so NK is emboldened to shoot missiles

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump keeps giving Kim what he wants so NK is emboldened to shoot missiles

Maybe, but I wouldn't underestimate how much of NK's boldness in terms of missile testing is directly linked with the ongoing trade war and Beijing giving them maybe not-so tacit approval to resume testing so long as the US refuses to play ball

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Except now Turkey is threatening to invade Syria from the north, we just started an embargo on VZ, we completely destroyed relations with Iran, and Trump keeps giving Kim what he wants so NK is emboldened to shoot missiles

Turkey already invaded Syria a couple years ago. An embargo is new, yes, but there have been sanctions forever plus that coup attempt way back in Chavez's day. Re: Iran is just back to the old low. And NK shooting missiles is totally normal, it's nuke tests that are exceptional.

With Syria being comparatively quiet things aren't really that crazy. Right now I'm more worried about Kashmir than anything.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Spill the beans Brown Moses

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

orange sky posted:

Spill the beans Brown Moses

Hopefully soon.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don't forget India! In a huge firestorm of zero publicity whatsoever India made one of the largest troop movements in human history to secure a fractious border state.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Willie Tomg posted:

Don't forget India! In a huge firestorm of zero publicity whatsoever India made one of the largest troop movements in human history to secure a fractious border state.

Tell me more

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

And it looks like it's very likely to be step one in a stunningly brutal campaign of ethnic cleansing even by the standards of India in Kashmir.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Tell me more

Check out the relevant thread for it tbh--while I kinda like the aesthetic of this thread sprawling out from ME to an area stretching from Tunisia to Xinjiang sometimes its nice to be focused--but basically the sun set on a regular day in Kashmir and the sun rose to several hundred thousand more Indian soldiers seizing every single civil building, major road, and shutting off all telecoms in the state. It's a combination of the size, effectiveness and comprehensiveness of deployment with utter secrecy and speed and I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not leading news all over the word is because the relevant agencies cannot believe it just loving happened.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PittTheElder posted:

Tell me more

Start here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883218&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post497263229

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Check out the relevant thread for it tbh--while I kinda like the aesthetic of this thread sprawling out from ME to an area stretching from Tunisia to Xinjiang sometimes its nice to be focused--but basically the sun set on a regular day in Kashmir and the sun rose to several hundred thousand more Indian soldiers seizing every single civil building, major road, and shutting off all telecoms in the state. It's a combination of the size, effectiveness and comprehensiveness of deployment with utter secrecy and speed and I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not leading news all over the word is because the relevant agencies cannot believe it just loving happened.
I saw something briefly about it the other day but it’s really not getting much attention in the west

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

So how many troops? One of the largest troop movements in human history is hyperbole I assume, but has anyone attempted a count?

I heard about troops moving in, but also that telcoms lines were cut/blocked and that people weren't able to find out what was happening.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

So how many troops? One of the largest troop movements in human history is hyperbole I assume, but has anyone attempted a count?

I heard about troops moving in, but also that telcoms lines were cut/blocked and that people weren't able to find out what was happening.

100,000 is the current count. So, y'know, pretty big.

And yeah, take it to the other thread.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Weird take, but interesting considering the source.

quote:

Firas Al-Assad, cousin of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, attacked his family on Facebook, accusing them of killing more than 100,000 Alawites and more than half a million Syrians in order to stay in power.

“Sympathising with tens of thousands of poor, dead Syrian youth who have found themselves fighting in the regime’s army to protect it is not my fault. The regime could have avoided all this with some modesty toward its people,” Firas said in a letter addressing his pro-regime brother Duraid.

“You killed 100,000 Alawites to stay in power …” and “You allowed [Russian Foreign Minister Sergey] Lavrov and [Iranian Major General Qasem] Soleimani to issue orders and take decisions.”

“Do you think your uncle would let Lavrov and Soleimani issue orders and take decisions on Syrian territory affecting its people? I swear he would have hanged [Bashar’s cousin and the head of the secret police in Daraa] Atef Najib and [Bashar’s cousin] Rami Makhlouf in the squares of Daraa and Damascus, in an attempt to satisfy the Syrian people and avoid the collapse of the country,” Firas added.

“Why wouldn’t you and your brothers fight? If you, son of the leader, are asking people to sacrifice their lives for you, then you will have to engage your sons first. You, sons of a doctor, being killers and slaughterers destroying your country, crushing your people, killing hundreds of thousands and subjecting your country to foreign occupation for a chair, is not my fault.”

“I will always remember the blood of 100,000 poor Alawite people, or even more, killed in order to allow you to preserve your thrones. I won’t forget the half million poor Syrians, or more killed, because you convinced them that your corruption, tyranny and prison were destined. I won’t forget the limbs and bodies of the Syrian children ripped by your barrel bombs and indiscriminate bombardment and buried them under the rubble of their own homes. I won’t be silent,” he concluded.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20190807-assads-cousin-the-regime-has-killed-more-than-500000-syrians/

Given the 1982 Hama massacre, I'm not so sure Hafez wouldn't have gone to these lengths if push had come to a shove, but it is interesting to think about what might have happened had Assad executed Makhlouf and Najib as a concession to the protesters. I don't know if it would've prevented all of this but it definitely would've had a greater impact than just trying to beat the protests into silence.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Darkman Fanpage posted:

drat boy

https://twitter.com/FrudBezhan/status/1159744968715571200

https://twitter.com/bbclysedoucet/status/1159478863229046784

peace with honor level poo poo :smug: taliban will be back in charge in no time and america will have racked up another L

Remember that war in Afghanistan?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sounds like mission accomplished to me. The only real aim was to stop Afghanistan being used by Al Qaeda, everything else was neo con fluff. Like the US really gives a poo poo about female education, pfft.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Unimpressed posted:

Sounds like mission accomplished to me. The only real aim was to stop Afghanistan being used by Al Qaeda, everything else was neo con fluff. Like the US really gives a poo poo about female education, pfft.

I kinda wish we did :/

More seriously - I know the war has to end, but it kind of bums me out that, over all these years, and maybe if we hadn’t invaded Iraq, we could’ve done some good. So much thrown away, and nothing has changed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dreissi posted:

I kinda wish we did :/

More seriously - I know the war has to end, but it kind of bums me out that, over all these years, and maybe if we hadn’t invaded Iraq, we could’ve done some good. So much thrown away, and nothing has changed.

There really was never any good way to do Afghanistan short of investment and control on a massive scale which would amount to making it a permanent colony. Which uh has its own downsides.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I really think wishcasting for an Afghanistan War that might have been goes beyond a fruitless pursuit into actually counterproductive thinking, because it legitimizes the idea of the good war that makes the world a better place if only we had more competent militarists running the show. Afghanistan was still going to have warlords, bad neighbors, and no longstanding traditions of democratic legitimacy to look back to, so the odds were always strongly against things working out even in a best case scenario.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 10, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We've been in Afghanistan longer than we were in Vietnam, which is crazy to think about

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FlamingLiberal posted:

We've been in Afghanistan longer than we were in Vietnam, which is crazy to think about

No, it is not currently late 2021 or late 2026.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Remember that war in Afghanistan?

Don't the Taliban always come to the negotiating table in the fall, because the winters are so loving brutal up in the mountains that there's not going to be any fighting anyway, then always break it off in the spring after the snow melts? I seem to remember this being a recurring thing.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So wait.... the agreement lets the Taliban attack government forces? Am I misreading?

If so, how's that not throwing them under a convoy of buses?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oracle posted:

Don't the Taliban always come to the negotiating table in the fall, because the winters are so loving brutal up in the mountains that there's not going to be any fighting anyway, then always break it off in the spring after the snow melts? I seem to remember this being a recurring thing.

Summer is the fighting season, yes, and the Taliban and other groups trend to lay low during the winter.

I don't know how previous agreements with rebel groups have gone; this is the first to include the US I believe.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Dawncloack posted:

:wiggle:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1160200767925608448?s=19

quote:

ADEN (Reuters) - Yemen’s southern separatists have taken effective control of Aden, seat of the internationally recognized government, fracturing the Saudi-led coalition which is trying to break the grip of the Iran-aligned Houthi movement on the country.

In a move that complicates efforts by the United Nations to end a four-year war, the separatists seized control of all government military camps in the southern port city on Saturday, officials said. A separatist military commander later said they had also taken the all-but empty presidential palace.

Great coalition you built there MBS.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there even much left of Yemen at this point?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there even much left of Yemen at this point?

Enough to keep killing Saudis.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dawncloack posted:

So wait.... the agreement lets the Taliban attack government forces? Am I misreading?

Yes, it does.
No, you're not.
That's exactly what it is.

If this actually goes through it's a hilarious Peace With Honor type thing so the US can just leave and let the Taliban win without having to officially say "ok you guys win."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Great job MBS, great job.

I wonder if he'll huff and puff against his master in Abu Dhabi after they just blatantly backstabbed him like this in Yemen after a long and disastrous failure. What UAE just did to saudi in this represents a massive problem to Saudi security.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Uh, about Yemen. This reads like nothing is left from the regular government. Nothing important, anyway. Wouldn't that make the rebels now the real government and the remnants of the old the separatists?