Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Depends on if you're looking to buy or rent. Oak Harbor is a bit cheaper but pickings can be slim. Anacortes is nice, but like tou said its a more expensive and your main commute is over Deception Pass, is not always bad but if theres a traffic snarl good luck.

I live down in Coupeville, its a 20 minute drive to base which isnt bad, only downside is the jet OLF near the house.

If you're renting with buddies, as a heads up since it happened to my group, quite a few rentals wont do group rent. We had problems finding a place that would do that and allow pets (usually it was one or another). Its a sellers market on the island so home prices are definitely a bit high, but if you're looking to stay for awhile there (VAQ is just Whidbey if I remember right) it might not be a bad way to go.

Yeah I have a wife who wants to start trying to have kids and 2 dogs so I think we’ll be looking to buy. Unfortunately the house prices are nearly double for a similar size/quality home as the house I own as a primary instructor at Whiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Yeah I have a wife who wants to start trying to have kids and 2 dogs so I think we’ll be looking to buy. Unfortunately the house prices are nearly double for a similar size/quality home as the house I own as a primary instructor at Whiting.

You're in for sticker shock on a lot of stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Houses may be expensive but at least the fishing is better compared to Kitsap county.

It’s the little things in life.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome to the group, Kalessin of Selidor. This is a solid group, but understand. We're nobles. Thus, never brag or say how good you are at stupid poo poo. Because it doesn't matter at all and only makes you look like a dumbass.

I hope that you're a good EDO. When we were trying to clean out the berthings on the FITZ, we had an EDO supply us with super basic PPE. When we kept running into Japanese contractors with heavy filters and thick suits, we asked why we were only given very basic masks and thin coveralls. We were told that the PPE was fine and that's all we needed to clean out the berthings. This was told to us repeatedly at meeting with the acting CO, XO, department heads, my DCC, and me present.

Que my going on leave in July. I get a call at the airport from our WEPS saying that the EDO told us were never authorized to clean out the berthings with the PPE we were given. This, as you can imagine, did not go over well, and the EDO was fired by the acting CO. Because he lied.

So, don't lie, and be honest about things.

Anyway, welcome to the Navy chat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dingleberry posted:

In the block for alcohol/drugs, the form reads “YES.”

This should probably be the new thread title.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

The Valley Stared posted:

Welcome to the group, Kalessin of Selidor. This is a solid group, but understand. We're nobles. Thus, never brag or say how good you are at stupid poo poo. Because it doesn't matter at all and only makes you look like a dumbass.

I hope that you're a good EDO. When we were trying to clean out the berthings on the FITZ, we had an EDO supply us with super basic PPE. When we kept running into Japanese contractors with heavy filters and thick suits, we asked why we were only given very basic masks and thin coveralls. We were told that the PPE was fine and that's all we needed to clean out the berthings. This was told to us repeatedly at meeting with the acting CO, XO, department heads, my DCC, and me present.

Que my going on leave in July. I get a call at the airport from our WEPS saying that the EDO told us were never authorized to clean out the berthings with the PPE we were given. This, as you can imagine, did not go over well, and the EDO was fired by the acting CO. Because he lied.

So, don't lie, and be honest about things.

Anyway, welcome to the Navy chat.

Unfortunately we sometimes get folks that only lat transfer to escape SWO and sub life until they can eke out enough years for retirement. Sorry that of all times you had to run into one of our worst like that. Realistically my career is instead on the line for being honest when the Navy says to lie.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

The Valley Stared posted:

but understand. We're nobles.
Ok... so just gonna say here comes the candid tiredbrainposting: but ffs the “noble” label always rubbed me wrong (and yes i fell for classic trollbait trying to validate on the interwebs earlier i get that)... it’s just that i have yet to meet any officer or enlisted that grew up poorer so yeah, “noble” is a trigger and yeah constantly been living the life of trying to prove poo poo... hell, even my folks working for me that i called up west african embassies and wrote letters of recommendation to help them get their spouses approved to move here grew up with more wealth than my dirtpoor fam. so sure next time i get the urge to try to slide into a goon thread with the ultimate plan of eventually opening up as a resource for some of our at risk sailors i’ll promptly stfu instead.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Ok... so just gonna say here comes the candid tiredbrainposting: but ffs the “noble” label always rubbed me wrong (and yes i fell for classic trollbait trying to validate on the interwebs earlier i get that)... it’s just that i have yet to meet any officer or enlisted that grew up poorer so yeah, “noble” is a trigger and yeah constantly been living the life of trying to prove poo poo... hell, even my folks working for me that i called up west african embassies and wrote letters of recommendation to help them get their spouses approved to move here grew up with more wealth than my dirtpoor fam. so sure next time i get the urge to try to slide into a goon thread with the ultimate plan of eventually opening up as a resource for some of our at risk sailors i’ll promptly stfu instead.

I think you are reading into the moniker a bit too much. Don't take getting made fun of so seriously and you will enjoy GiP more.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Noble is like the gentlest ribbing you can possibly give an officer. I called a 4 star a noble once at an all call and he laughed his rear end off. Be more like him. If people were really trying to upset you or rag on you we’d have chased you off by now. The guys and gals on this sub forum can be the kindest most supportive people on the net- or they can just as easily write you off as an uptight tool and you can be our new m0t and be ostracized for your trouble. Just to educate you, the woman that was giving you advice earlier- The Valley Stared, she was the DCA on the Fitzgerald when it had that collision at sea. She’s a loving super hero, and if she’s being kind and generous enough to give you a little insight about GiP you should definitely listen to her. I think you’ll like it here, you just gotta lighten up a bit. You’ll always be known as a noble here, just laugh and remember you make the big bucks compared to your average petty officer. It’s like... a tiny price to pay, compared to the benefits of being an officer.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Don't worry, us ring knockers will always bear the main brunt.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I just want to go on record that I hate all of you equally, but not as much as myself or the Navy as an institution :)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I wish we weren't nobles. Having to constantly put down peasant uprisings is a real distraction from the cocktail party circuit.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ManMythLegend posted:

I wish we weren't nobles. Having to constantly put down peasant uprisings is a real distraction from the cocktail party circuit.

Listen, we all know that the E-4 mafia runs the military. The nobles are just figure heads. ;)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

the figure head is the one only O-6 and above are allowed to use

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey at least your peasants aren’t unionized. You ever have to deal with a grievance because the boat’s satellite TV system shat the bed?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Yes m'lord, sorry to offend m'lord, won't forget how bad m'lord has had it, always been quite kind to us down here

*bows deeply at waist, shuffling backwards out of officer country*
*wearing "salt and peppers" while working as a waiter in the wardroom*

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2019

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
*enlists because his family is too jacked up to fill out FAFSA and too poor to afford state college tuition*

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I'd recommend reading back a bit, it might unknot the Sir's panties.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMythLegend posted:

You can always pay half of us to kill the other half.
Cash or magic cards will be good.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Also join the discord. Or have your manservant do it for you. Either way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol:

just :lol:

Hey, who else is in better shape out of the navy than in? Life is so much better post-hip surgery.

some of the people here grew up in trailer houses. there are people of all backgrounds here with the unifying factor that we're all a bunch of loving nerds talking on the internet on a 20 year old website. don't take things so serious.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
To be clear, it's Noble as in Paris, 1793.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Here I am, heading to reserves fun times, when someone dies on the plane.

I blame the Navy.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

To be clear, it's Noble as in Paris, 1793.

Speak for yourself. I'm a Noble as in Daneland, c800. :black101:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The LPO of one of my divisions picked up CPO this year but is now injured and nondeployable thanks to chiefery. Good thing submarines usually have lots of buffer in their manning to support losing a top performer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hey man CPO gently caress gently caress games are important to the integrity of The Mess.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Why can't they just teabag each other like normal people.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

FrozenVent posted:

Hey at least your peasants aren’t unionized. You ever have to deal with a grievance because the boat’s satellite TV system shat the bed?

I nearly had a mutiny over "no Facebook on watch." The audacity of them ensuring they produced no more and no faster than when they had Facebook gave my noble self the vapors but I gotta admit, it was some of the best coordinated teamwork the watch team had demonstrated thus far in that deployment.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cerekk posted:

picked up CPO [...] losing a top performer.

:thunk:

Mutual exclusivity

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wut?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm curious if the later diesel-electric subsmight've actually smelled better because they had to be surfaced and open to the air for extended periods. I mean probably not because the sanitary facilities were next to nonexistent by modern standards but I doubt they smelled like cat piss.

The "submarine smell" is a chemical compound, specifically amine. Amine is used in the carbon dioxide scrubbers, and the smell is prevalent throughout the hull, regardless if the submarine is surfaced or submerged. If you walk on top of a submarine and and stand over/look down the hatch the smell will waft up and hit you in the face. The chemical traces permeate clothing, so if you return home after working on a submarine and toss your clothes in a pile, that pile will smell like "submarine" so much so to the extent that housemates, girlfriends, and spouses that have never been on a submarine know what they smell like.

Things may have changed since I got out in '12, but I doubt it. When I was stationed at NRMD I had the opportunity to visit about 15-20 different submarines and they all had the distinct odor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The "submarine smell" is a chemical compound, specifically amine.

Neat, never knew this. That's definitely not the aircraft carrier smell, which is a mix of paint, JP-5, lubricating oil, non-skid coating, BO, nicotine, and farts.

When I was a volunteer at the Midway Museum and my mother visited me she said the smell of my work clothes reminded her immediately of the years my dad spent on the TR in the 80s. Same drat smell.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 10, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I was on the Lincoln and then precommed the Bush, and both of those had a very distinct and same Aircraft Carrier smell. In my mind, the smell of depression.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My coveralls still smell like aircraft carrier.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My wife sure knows what HSFO smells like

you Navy guys are missing out on black oil shenanigans

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

My coveralls still smell like aircraft carrier.

The only thing I kept when I got out of the Navy were my coveralls. I kept them so that everytime I moved, which I hate doing, I could throw away a pair and re-live, however briefly, the great and immense joy I felt the day I left the Navy. Unfortunately I have now moved enough that I no longer have any Navy uniforms to throw away, and am left only with my FTN tattoo to remind me of just how god drat good it felt to get out of the Navy. (And this post too, now, haha!)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I spent six months on a salt boat. Hauling salt. In bulk.

Salt doesn’t smell, but it makes your gear crinkle. It’s been almost ten years and my winter coveralls still don’t fold right.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The "submarine smell" is a chemical compound, specifically amine.

Thought this said anime and didn't have a second thought about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rx Department has the anime smell wherever it goes. Surface or Sub.