Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jean's telekinetic powers are only at what I'd call an omega level when she's possessed by The Phoenix, and even then Rachel's Phoenix backed telekinesis was way more impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Xavier's never been the best telepath, just the oldest and most experienced. Jean and Emma have been regularly out-doing him for a long time. That stunt Emma pulls in New X-Men where she makes a whole crowd of people lose themselves in pleasure is just a party trick to her, but it's past the upper limit of what Charles can do based on the (many) canonical times he's gotten fatigued from trying to control more than a few people at once.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Emma with the Cuckoos should technically count as one person since they have the same DNA.

And what human technology can make you punch from your eyes better than Cyclops? Come on Hickman.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sure Mr Fantastic can make a portal that opens up to the punch dimension that doesn't get a headache after a while.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

IUG posted:

I'm sure Mr Fantastic can make a portal that opens up to the punch dimension that doesn't get a headache after a while.

The Maker did that once.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 10, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Skwirl posted:

Jean's telekinetic powers are only at what I'd call an omega level when she's possessed by The Phoenix, and even then Rachel's Phoenix backed telekinesis was way more impressive.

I know this is being retconned all the time but I will never let it go so here is me not letting it go:woop:: being the Phoenix was, originally and for a huge swath of canon, the manifestation of Jean’s true power and potential. In fact, the original comic that first revealed Jean (and Bobby) to be omega-class mutants specifically cites the Phoenix as part of her omega-ness.

Even if we’re going with the current retcon of the Phoenix being just some outside thing possessing her, Jean all on her own was able to hold back Cyclops’ eyepunch as lately as the final issue of Uncanny. I mean, it’s Rosenberg so unfortunately very ignorable on that basis alone :sweatdrop:, but the point being she’s always been known for her OP TK — pretty much more so than any other character — so it was weird for Hickman to lean more on the side of her telepathy being stronger. Heck, it was a little weird that Hickman felt the need to put one above the other at all.

I do agree that I miss seeing Rachel be powerful. It just feels like she hasn’t had anything to do lately but to get jobbed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't read it because it was Uncanny, but was it explicitly telekinetic? Because Cyclops' control issue is mental, it can be stopped telepathically too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aside from the last issue of Rosenberg's Uncanny are there examples of no Phoenix Jean doing really amazing TK tricks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I know this is being retconned all the time but I will never let it go so here is me not letting it go:woop:: being the Phoenix was, originally and for a huge swath of canon, the manifestation of Jean’s true power and potential. In fact, the original comic that first revealed Jean (and Bobby) to be omega-class mutants specifically cites the Phoenix as part of her omega-ness.

Even if we’re going with the current retcon of the Phoenix being just some outside thing possessing her, Jean all on her own was able to hold back Cyclops’ eyepunch as lately as the final issue of Uncanny. I mean, it’s Rosenberg so unfortunately very ignorable on that basis alone :sweatdrop:, but the point being she’s always been known for her OP TK — pretty much more so than any other character — so it was weird for Hickman to lean more on the side of her telepathy being stronger. Heck, it was a little weird that Hickman felt the need to put one above the other at all.

I do agree that I miss seeing Rachel be powerful. It just feels like she hasn’t had anything to do lately but to get jobbed.

Rachel feels like a character nobody really seems to have known what to do with since like... the 90s. Excalibur was the last time I can think of her being remotely handled well and half the time it feels like people forget she exists even when it should be really goddamn relevant (like say, the Phoenix.)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Aside from the last issue of Rosenberg's Uncanny are there examples of no Phoenix Jean doing really amazing TK tricks

Yeah but again, the now-canon definition isn't "really powerful" it is that they don't have an upper limit.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Rachel, it always confused me with artists taking liberties with how her powers are portrayed. Her last appearance I think is in the Kid Cable X-Force run, and she's got fire from the eyes and a very Phoenix-esque visual. And then in X-Men Gold she's got the regular pink/purple TK thing going on.

At least, I'm guessing it's just inconsistency and not a weird Phoenix echo something or other going on. I can't keep track anymore.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Are eXternals still a thing from what I remember from the 90's, or has that been retconned away?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a retcon would have to acknowledge the external poo poo. pretending it never happened is better for everyone.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Regarding the Moira-multiverse theory, what exactly were Mystique & co stealing from Damage Control? The only two items being stored there that aren't weapons/suits are The Bridge and Multiversal Beacon. Given that the stolen drive has been highlighted in two issues, whatever data that it contains bears significance. Seems to me that Xavier is up to some multiversal hijinks, especially if this is is the Moira-X timeline.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

CubanMissile posted:

Are eXternals still a thing from what I remember from the 90's, or has that been retconned away?

Xternals mostly were killed off in a recent Cable run, though at least one has already been brought back since then(to good effect) in Mr & Mrs X.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hexate posted:

Regarding the Moira-multiverse theory, what exactly were Mystique & co stealing from Damage Control? The only two items being stored there that aren't weapons/suits are The Bridge and Multiversal Beacon. Given that the stolen drive has been highlighted in two issues, whatever data that it contains bears significance. Seems to me that Xavier is up to some multiversal hijinks, especially if this is is the Moira-X timeline.

I was assuming it was just info on Sol's Hammer which was highlighted in red and is being retrofited by Orchis to be the Mothermold - which of course would imply that Xavier is getting ahead of the curve slightly with some hints

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Multiversal hijinks *could* make sense as how Moira X might be planning to "break the rules" - like, if she plans to directly interact with her own past incarnations, that would be some high dimensional chess indeed...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

danbanana posted:

I told you, I'm new here and just following protocol I saw.

Anyway, the Xavier at the beginning of HoX is clearly actually Sinister. When its mentioned in PoX that there was a period of "leaderless" mutantdom, that's in reference to the last few years of the books when Xavier, Scott, Jean, and Logan were all dead. Someone (Beast? It's always loving Beast) made a deal with Sinister to start cloning. So the Jean, Logan, etc. you see in HoX are Sinister's clones. All of the Krakoa stuff is Sinister.

Or at least that was my thought until the Moira Bomb hit.

Not nearly glam enough to be Sinister

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not nearly glam enough to be Sinister

Ummmmmmmmm

https://images.app.goo.gl/1K1z7kmgCf3psd7S6

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Charles & Moira's plan is to make mutants indispensable to humans through the drugs Chuck is making Krakoa make. Making mutants necessary to mankind is the only gambit (heh) Moira hasn't tried.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Krakoa is regrowing dead mutants using the genealogical data it's gathered by absorbing their life force and Chuck is implanting psyches he's recorded thus granting mutants a kind of immortality

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Not yet sure how that relates to the future shown in Powers

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

I should add: Krakoa only makes these drugs because Chuck is mind-controlling it to do so. Same with the reborn X-Men.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Also....(too many goddamnd posts in a row IM SORRY my thoughts tend to spin out) Charles can only mind-control Krakoa to do these things with a constant connection to Cerebro thus the helmet

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please use the edit button in the future. drat.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Ok one more post (god I know its annoying):so how does the future(s) in Powers come to pass? Does the Sinister revolt happen in the Moira X timeline? Do Charles & Moira successfully dodge a lovely fate for mutant kind? What next

E: sorry. Bad texting habits.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Is this the same Krakoa from Wolverine and the X-men? It's creepy how they speak of it with such reverence now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Is this the same Krakoa from Wolverine and the X-men? It's creepy how they speak of it with such reverence now.

The Krakoa in Wolverine and the X-Men was a child of the Krakoa from Giant Size X-Men number 1. But I think when they were explaining what was up with the Krakoa in W&XM it was said there's several Krakoas.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm by and large enjoying this new run, but I have to say, I'm a bit concerned. My biggest problem with X-Men stories is how often the non-mutant characters get framed as in the wrong for being concerned about something the X-Men have put their support behind, and the deal with them and the FF has me nervous. Sue has a mutant son and I don't think framing her as not getting what mutants have to deal with is really true to the character, and given the character they argue with Scott about is an infamous monster like Sabertooth, it just has me a bit wary that Hickman is gonna slip into that same trap.

I dunno. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm not looking at it right.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nodosaur posted:

I'm by and large enjoying this new run, but I have to say, I'm a bit concerned. My biggest problem with X-Men stories is how often the non-mutant characters get framed as in the wrong for being concerned about something the X-Men have put their support behind, and the deal with them and the FF has me nervous. Sue has a mutant son and I don't think framing her as not getting what mutants have to deal with is really true to the character, and given the character they argue with Scott about is an infamous monster like Sabertooth, it just has me a bit wary that Hickman is gonna slip into that same trap.

I dunno. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm not looking at it right.

I'm looking at it the opposite way. I think they've very much established that the Krakoa thing is to be looked at skeptically. They're framing the story as questioning the mutants' actions, to the point where humans creating super-weapons in retaliation almost comes off as justified. I definitely read that FF scene as the humans being framed in the moral right, not the other way around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

In New X-Men, she fused a shattered diamond Emma back together and bought her back to life. This might not be the best example, though, since Morrison was pretty explicit that she was at the very least channeling Phoenix (and is eventually killed and immediately brought back to life).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I have an extra code for House of X #1 from a variant cover. I couldn't sell it (no one was buying at $2), so the first person who PM's me the name of my favorite lame-powered X-Man gets the code. I'll try to edit this when it's gone.

I don't want to poo poo up this thread, so just PM me, don't reply.

The answer was Cypher.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 10, 2019

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm pretty confident from the extremely limited information given about the new books to kick off after this wraps up that Krakoa will be sticking around after Hox/Pox

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm pretty confident from the extremely limited information given about the new books to kick off after this wraps up that Krakoa will be sticking around after Hox/Pox

Yeah, Hickman's been pretty clear that this is a rise, not a fall

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

from glancing over future solicitation it seems like it's being framed as both

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

She punched Sabertooth from northern France into the Pyrenees one time, which meant she threw him most of the way to Spain.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

IUG posted:

The answer was Cypher.

If he didn't have Warlock bits on him I would never remember who he was. Just last night I was reading the X-Men annual from 1985 and at one point he fuses with Warlock to help Warlock heal. My problem with the New Mutants was always their identical uniforms. Superhero costumes are awesome and it cuts so much personality out of any character to have them dress the same as everyone else.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cyphers power is not lame. Remember that time when he came back as a zombie and defeated all the new mutants by translating the language of punching.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

She punched Sabertooth from northern France into the Pyrenees one time, which meant she threw him most of the way to Spain.

Sabertooth getting punched very very far is a great reoccurring gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
There is one thing I keep wondering.

In the big graphic display showing the timelines of all of Moira's lives, all the lines veer around a circle when her mutant power manifests at 13. Some of the lines veer up and the others down - is that meant to represent something or is it just a bit of graphic flare to outline a full circle?